Poll

What is your familiarity with Led Zeppelin

Beginner (Stairway to where?)
8 (8.8%)
Intermediate (I know the radio hits)
18 (19.8%)
Advanced (I know some of the deep cuts; have a box-set)
32 (35.2%)
Expert (I even own Coda, and have watched The Song Remains the Same)
33 (36.3%)

Total Members Voted: 91

Author Topic: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. Everything still turns to gold  (Read 55934 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
For starters, I'd be interested to know the level of familiarity of everyone following (hence the poll).  So, if you vote, also let others know what bucket you fall into.  Naturally, I put myself in the Expert category, but by no means would put my in the same manaical fandom that ytserush and The Letter M and KevShmev are with Rush.  I'm sure many of my other fogey's will drop tidbits on me that I didn't even know. 

Why am I doing Zeppelin?  Why am I qualified to lead this discussion?  Well, growing up, neither of my parents were all that in to music, so I just kinda wandered musically, never really finding anything that I could get truly connected to. I had to discover things myself, and ultimately ended up on Top 40 pop stuff like Wham, Madonna, Culture Club, Cindy Lauper etc... Sure, there were some bouts of Supertramp, Yes, and Halen, but only their fluffy songs that made it on to top 40 radio in the early/mid 80s.

November 23, 1985, my parents sat my brother and I down to tell us they were separating, just 4 days after my 14th birthday. It was quite the shock. This kinda shit happened to other kids, not me. Quite the influential thing to happen to a pubescent boy. Just a couple months earlier, they had me start high school at a different school than all my grade 8 class mates attended - nice huh? Send a 14 year old to start high school with 0 friends, then 2.5 months later, split up.  Parenting 101 hard at work.

How does this shape me musically? Well, for the next few months, I was really trying to find my place in life. It sounds so cliche, but it really is the case. I really didn't know what to do with my (albeit inconsequential) 14 year old life. No true friends, fucked up family life (relatively speaking). I didn't give 2 shits or care about anything really. So, sometime early in '86, my brother (4 years older) bought a wicked cool stereo with this CD player thing. First disc he throws in after setting up the system starts with this nice little waa-waa guitar thing, then a god-like voice takes over.

Hey hey mama said the way you move
Gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove

That moment, and that song gave me wonder, appreciation, awe, inspiration, amazement, desire, drive, determination and probably a whole host of other emotions. It breathed life into me again. Gave me a purpose. Made me a fan of something. Nowadays, I don't do anything without music. I take my iPod to Costco when shopping; it's on in the background right now; when doing household chores, I needs me my tunes. I used to need it to fall asleep (probably would still if not for Mrs Jingle being pretty much the opposite when it comes to music - drives her nuts "take your headphones out and be part of the family!"). For anyone who followed my original Top 50, it was full of glam and classic rock, which was all I listened to until the late 90s, when I discovered Prog. I don't have a lot of diversity ... One of my rules of life is to spend time with music I love, and don't waste time with anything else. So, I love rock, and stick with it. It all started with this song.

Up to that point, I'd really only known Stairway to Heaven... having been the closing song at every elementary school dance since 1971.  Like I said, I had no musical direction, and was a Top 40 radio listening guy.  So Led Zeppelin was pretty much wide open territory for me, and boy did I explore.  I remember the feelings the first time listening to Whole Lotta Love (dat opening riff), Immigrant Song (dat scream), and Kashmir (pretty sure I was higher than a kite for that first listen).

At the age of 18, knowing that Zeppelin would be with my soul forever (thankfully, I was right) I got this, much to the dismay of my mother!

To understand Led Zeppelin and the their historical impact on the genre of Rock, hell, on the music industry as a whole, we have to start at the very beginning.  Here's how this thread will develop.  I'll start with how the four of them ended up coming together - it's important.  Then we'll hit the discography discussion... going with the 8 true studio albums, and regrettably Coda.  In between the discussion of those albums, I intend to offer some insight into the life of Led Zeppelin as a live act, as that is what really made them larger than life.  I won't lead a full in-depth discussion on all the post 1982 releases, but will touch on the significance of some of them.

For each of the studio releases, to prevent the posts from being WAY too long, I may split the discussion in two - a primary post on the album itself, and then a follow up secondary post with some comments song-by-song.  Otherwise, I think I'm going to have too much to put into a single post.  I know how limited our attention spans are, and I know I glaze over when I see a 3 page post.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 07:43:39 AM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: The Led Zeppelin Discography Discussion: v. All will be revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »
I'm with ya, Chad. Went with Advanced, since I have heard every album once, at least, and quite a few of my favourites are some of the lesser known ones, but I wouldn't call myself an expert, and have not watched The Song Remains The Same.

Looking forward to this and to revisiting the discography of one of the greatest rock bands ever! :tup
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:09:33 PM »
I voted "expert" based on the written criteria...but I actually consider myself more in the "advanced" category. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:28:46 PM »
I voted Expert aswell, though I'm not entirely comfortable with that title.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:29:17 PM »
Aaaaaaaand following.

I'd put myself somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced. While I've listened to every album at least once, not all have really sunken in with me, mostly due to the very few amount of listens and time I've given to releases such as In Through the Out Door and Coda, and I'm hoping to gain even more knowledge about the Zep here.

This gon be gud.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »
Aaaaaaaand following.

I'd put myself somewhere between Intermediate and Advanced. While I've listened to every album at least once, not all have really sunken in with me, mostly due to the very few amount of listens and time I've given to releases such as In Through the Out Door and Coda, and I'm hoping to gain even more knowledge about the Zep here.

This gon be gud.

In spite of my love for Achilles Last Stand, I actually feel the same way about Presence.    I actually like most of the actual songs more than some detractors do...but I've probably only sat and listened to the album from start to finish once or twice.    Same with the two you mentioned.   As a matter of fact, I think I need to re-visit Carouselambra just because it's been easily a decade since I've heard it, and I can't even remember what it sounds like.

I mostly tend to stick to everything up to and including Physical Graffiti...which always fights with Houses of the Holy for my favorite Zep album.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:34:40 PM »
For starters, I'd be interested to know the level of familiarity of everyone following (hence the poll).  So, if you vote, also let others know what bucket you fall into.  Naturally, I put myself in the Expert category, but by no means would put my in the same manaical fandom that ytserush and The Letter M and KevShmev are with Rush.

There, that's better. :biggrin:

Anyway, I have all of Zeppelin's stuff on CD, but I don't know a lot of the behind the scenes stuff with them, so this thread could prove to be most informative for me. :coolio

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 11:39:58 PM »
I'm pretty much intermediate.  I know the big hits (Kashmir, Stairway, Black Dog, Rock and Roll, Ramble On).  I've listen to all of their albums at least in a 24 hour period (A weaker version of the Zepathon as some may call it).  I did spend time on Wikipedia on reading all of their tour pages from their NA 1973 tour all the way to the last Europe tour in 1980 and read all of that lore.  That said, I'll be following this thread.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 01:01:24 AM »
I went with advanced, though on the intermediate side of that. Don't own many Zeppelin albums, but hey man, we spilled blood in the same mud man, I've done my share of time with them.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 04:41:00 AM »
Based on the poll criteria, I would seem to fit in Expert category, but that doesn't feel quite right, so I voted Advanced.

Led Zeppelin was, for many years, my favorite band, and are still on my short, short list.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 04:44:03 AM »
I'm coming along for the ride, though I am quite the beginner for Led Zep.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 05:05:07 AM »
I'm somewhere in the middle of Intermediate and Advanced. I know the "hits" and the most known album tracks, but also some deeper cuts. Don't know the songs by heart though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 05:11:44 AM »
For starters, I'd be interested to know the level of familiarity of everyone following (hence the poll).  So, if you vote, also let others know what bucket you fall into.  Naturally, I put myself in the Expert category, but by no means would put my in the same manaical fandom that ytserush and The Letter M and KevShmev are with Rush.

There, that's better. :biggrin:

That's exactly what I said.   :biggrin: :biggrin:

I'm coming along for the ride, though I am quite the beginner for Led Zep.

Wow, I'm quite shocked actually.  That's cool though.  Hope it becomes a meaningful experience for you.

And as for the 'criteria', it was intended to be a little funny quip to classify one's experience and knowledge level.  "Expert" might be too much even for me... I mean, I haven't read too many of the countless biography books available on them (I've read a few).  It's been fun and enlightening to conduct some additional research on them for this, so I hope it's a fun and enlightening experience for all.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 05:20:37 AM »
Led Zep are a band I know exist. I know they did music I probably should like, but I never checked them out for reasons I am not too sure. So thankfully this topic gives me an excuse to actually get their albums into my collection and listen to them.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2014, 05:33:32 AM »
Led Zep are a band I know exist. I know they did music I probably should like, but I never checked them out for reasons I am not too sure. So thankfully this topic gives me an excuse to actually get their albums into my collection and listen to them.

I hear ya... there's a handful of classic rock bands that I didn't go all-in with - I'm really only a 'best-of' guy with the Stones, Who and Eagles for instance.   :blush 

*awaits RJ's disapproval*

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2014, 05:43:34 AM »
I even own Coda and the DVd of STRTS.

Hell I would album bootlegs from their 70's tours.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2014, 06:36:37 AM »
^ I'm in the same boat as King, got 'em all and I frequently watch How the West Was One just to watch Jimmy play White Summer/Black Mountain Side. I'm a big fan but I would hesitate to call myself an expert.

One of the biggest thrills of my life was seeing them live in '77. The performance was memorable but not as much as the overall experience with the crowd ambiance. Someone said, on this forum recently (I forget who), "I really miss the '70's." I couldn't agree more.

Needless to say, I'm with ya mang. Let's rock!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 06:50:03 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2014, 06:49:27 AM »
I'll come along for the ride. Marked myself as Intermediate as I'm not a fan. I have a couple of albums (Presence and 4) but as I've said elsewhere I can't stand Plant. Hate his voice and his posturing on stage. I do play up how much I hate them  :biggrin: but don't go out of my way to listen to them.
I can't stand folk music so that side of the band does nothing for me.
I've never done drugs so TSRTS made no sense to me either.
Achilles Last Stand is a great song with some great riffing.
I acknowledge the influence they had on music and rank them as legendary even though I'm no great fan.
that's where I stand coming in. I'll try not to be too negative  :biggrin:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2014, 06:51:20 AM »
I'll come along for the ride. Marked myself as Intermediate as I'm not a fan. I have a couple of albums (Presence and 4) but as I've said elsewhere I can't stand Plant. Hate his voice and his posturing on stage. I do play up how much I hate them  :biggrin: but don't go out of my way to listen to them.
I acknowledge the influence they had on music and rank them as legendary even though I'm no great fan.

To appreciate the Plant's antics on stage, one only needs to go to a midnight showing with one's girlfriend and have her spontaneously happen while watching it! Reefer doesn't hurt though.

:lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 06:56:34 AM »
You didn't have a category for "own all the albums, even Coda, taped The Song Remains The Same off MTV back in 1987 or so, and have heard something like 100 Zep bootlegs" so I voted for the last one.  :lol

Along for this ride.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2014, 07:03:08 AM »
Someone said, on this forum recently (I forget who), "I really miss the '70's." I couldn't agree more.

I believe it was Bob, recounting his Foreigner concert story a couple days ago.

I'm not much of a folk (or blues) guy either, but the way that they infuse it into rock is stunning.  Hopefully your mind is open, though I'll tell you if your expectations are based off of Presence and The Song Remains The Same (concert/movie), you've got nowhere to go but up.  :lol  Those two are the low points of the band's career imo.  If you think Achilles Last Stand is some amazing riffing, you're in for a treat as we go through the albums.

You didn't have a category for "own all the albums, even Coda, taped The Song Remains The Same off MTV back in 1987 or so, and have heard something like 100 Zep bootlegs" so I voted for the last one.  :lol

Along for this ride.  :metal

Guess I need an Expert: Jaq level.  :2metal:

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2014, 07:10:24 AM »
I can't pretend to be an expert on the backstage and behind the scenes info, but I have heard a fucking ton of Zep over the years.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
Anybody see the Doc, "It Might Get Loud" with Jimmy Page, The Edge & Jack White talking guitars and music?  If not I highly recommend it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2014, 07:21:03 AM »

Why am I doing Zeppelin?  Why am I qualified to lead this discussion?  Well, growing up, neither of my parents were all that in to music, so I just kinda wandered musically, never really finding anything that I could get truly connected to. I had to discover things myself, and ultimately ended up on Top 40 pop stuff like Wham, Madonna, Culture Club, Cindy Lauper etc...

Chad......Bro.......  I have to Red card you right off the bat for the above quote.  :lol  As far as Zep....  the world has never experienced a better Rock Band..PERIOD!!!  As far as the poll, I want an above expert category, like some others here  :hat. Although, after a few too many bong rips....I've probably forgotten a few pertinent factoids.   This will be a fun filled journey down memory lane, and I look forward to any new folks discovering what I fell in love with 40 years ago.

"As the mighty arms of Atlas...hold the heavens from the Earth...."

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »
Why am I doing Zeppelin?  Why am I qualified to lead this discussion?  Well, growing up, neither of my parents were all that in to music, so I just kinda wandered musically, never really finding anything that I could get truly connected to. I had to discover things myself, and ultimately ended up on Top 40 pop stuff like Wham, Madonna, Culture Club, Cindy Lauper etc...
Chad......Bro.......  I have to Red card you right off the bat for the above quote.  :lol  As far as Zep....  the world has never experienced a better Rock Band..PERIOD!!! 

Awww... c'mon!  Can't you at least give me a yellow card?  I don't want to be kicked out of my own thread before I even make the starting posts on the discussion!!   :D

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 08:32:47 AM »
OK...we'll downgrade ya... ;D.  This journey will be a blast!  :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 08:40:42 AM »
Criticism of the 80s will not be tolerated. :biggrin:

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 08:43:08 AM »
This will be a cool thread.  I have a box set and listen to Zeppelin on a regular basis.

Plus the radio stations in my area seem to play them once an hour.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 08:49:56 AM »
Criticism of the 80s will not be tolerated. :biggrin:

I LOVED the 80's!!  Metallica, Queensryche, Dio, Maiden, G&R....   :biggrin:  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 08:58:01 AM »
I voted Expert aswell, though I'm not entirely comfortable with that title.
This for me. Should be a fun thread!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2014, 09:02:33 AM »
 This thread is getting me almost as giddy as the Pink Floyd thread :D

I fall somewhere in between the last two categories. I've listened to every album (not including Presence or CODA) over 9k times... And I love love love HTWWW.

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2014, 09:20:37 AM »
I'll check in from time to time but will return and use this thread as a reference later on - I'm having enough trouble keeping my Top 50 humming at a half decent pace.  I also will return to the BOC, PF threads etc....

I'm definitely in the Expert category - my all time most played Zep track is Van Halen doing Rock and Roll on Live Without A Net :neverusethis:

I know the hits and that's about it  ::)  - and in Australia that means a lot less than it does in the US/Canada. I see songs quoted as "radio hits" in the classic rock thread that I've barely heard of.

I did buy all (or most anyway) of the Zep albums in digital format a few months back - never owned a Zep album before that .  The only reason being that I was on a bit of a "classic bands I probably should know a bit about" kick - just 'cos i'm a guy who needs to know stuff.  I don't have great expectations of them becoming a big favourite , but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Appreciate the time and effort involved Chad......................and this ("I don't have a lot of diversity ... One of my rules of life is to spend time with music I love, and don't waste time with anything else. So, I love rock, and stick with it.) I can relate to.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 09:28:42 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2014, 09:22:49 AM »
Anybody see the Doc, "It Might Get Loud" with Jimmy Page, The Edge & Jack White talking guitars and music?  If not I highly recommend it.

Can't say that I have.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2014, 09:30:48 AM »
Indeed I have seen it. Definitely worth watching.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2014, 10:21:39 AM »
I'm somewhere in between Advanced and Expert. I have all the studio albums, but I've only really listened to the first four. Outside of that, I know Kashmir and that's pretty much it.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH