Author Topic: Steve Walsh Leaves Kansas Again  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Virtualman64

Steve Walsh Leaves Kansas Again
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:32:27 AM »
Yes,
Steve Walsh officially announced his retirement on June,30th 2014.There has been a version of the band still touring in recent years,but,in my opinion Kansas ended with the departure of Kery Livgren years ago.and Steve will always be "The Voice"of Kansas. They have already replaced Steve with yet another lead singer(Details can be found on Facebook)Any thoughts?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Steve Walsh Leaves Kansas Again
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:40:58 AM »
That's too bad, but since they have only been a touring band for the last decade or so anyway, not sure that it matters much, as long as they hire someone who can faithfully reproduce his keyboards/vocals.

Styx was able to do that.

Things like this would matter more if they were still creating new music.  But sadly, that isn't the case with Kansas.  But who knows?  Maybe this will be the impetus for that to happen, since I'm fairly sure that Walsh didn't have any interest in writing new Kansas music anyway.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 06:42:05 AM »
To me, the best thing about Kansas getting a new vocalist is the fact that they're talking about changing up the setlist. I'm a big fan of Walsh, but Ronnie Platt sounds pretty good in the clips I've seen him in with Shooting Star. If they bring back something like Hymn To The Atman and Platt can do it justice, I'm all for him.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 06:47:32 AM »
Hey, it's all good.  Steve wants to retire and they want to continue so as a fan it's my choice if I want to spend my money seeing them with the new singer or not.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 06:49:12 AM »
Things like this would matter more if they were still creating new music.  But sadly, that isn't the case with Kansas.  But who knows?  Maybe this will be the impetus for that to happen, since I'm fairly sure that Walsh didn't have any interest in writing new Kansas music anyway.

This.

Steve Walsh is a great singer but Kansas seems to be more of a nostalgic act over the last years
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
Yep, I saw this back when it was announced.  I thought the timing was more than odd, since he's leaving in the middle of their 40th anniversary tour.  Granted, the tour is on a rather small scale, but still, just odd timing.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
It's been obvious for a long time, if you pay close attention, that Steve had very little interest in the band anymore. He didn't want to make new music, didn't want to do longer sets or more shows, and he was basically just paying the bills. The chances of getting new music from Kansas, and a more varied setlist even, just skyrocketed. I'm not bashing him (he's my favorite singer), but that's just how it is.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:28:58 PM »
I would love for them to make some new music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 03:59:43 PM »
I would love for them to make some new music.
The other members have shown a desire to. That's what Native Window was, a few years ago--Kansas minus Steve Walsh.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 09:47:54 PM »
Shame that Elefante knocked it back this time - his voice is as strong as ever.  He says he considered it but ran it by God and God said "No"  :sad: 
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 08:54:50 AM »
I must be living under a rock, because this is news to me.  Not completely surprising, though.  As previously mentioned, Steve hasn't wanted to put out any new music.  It just seemed like they've been touring just for a paycheck.  They just played in my hometown on July 4, but i skipped the show.  The last time i saw them (Kansas, Styx and Foreigner), they were just going through the motions (no pun intended!).  Was not a good show from them.
Hopefully this will breathe some new life in the band and YES change the setlist to some deeper cuts, and maybe even make some new music!
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 07:53:03 AM »
That's too bad, but since they have only been a touring band for the last decade or so anyway, not sure that it matters much, as long as they hire someone who can faithfully reproduce his keyboards/vocals.

Huge lifelong Kansas fan! No Steve, no interest.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Virtualman64

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 08:15:36 AM »

Huge lifelong Kansas fan! No Steve, no interest.
DITTO!!!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 09:09:37 AM »
I always thought Kansas should still make albums cause it would have generated more interest over the past 10 years, but to be honest minus one or 2 really good songs the last album in 2002 was pretty weak.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:18:38 AM »
Huh?  Their last album, Somewhere to Elsewhere, from 2002, was mostly really good  Only one dud, a few great ones, and a bunch of good to really good ones.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 09:23:33 AM »
Huh?  Their last album, Somewhere to Elsewhere, from 2002, was mostly really good  Only one dud, a few great ones, and a bunch of good to really good ones.
I don't agree. Icarus 2 was great, but most of it was below average for a Kansas record. and Grand Fun Alley is the worst Kansas song of there career.

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 09:29:31 AM »
"Look At The Time" and "Disappearing Skin Tight Blues" are my favorites off the record, and "Icarus II" is pretty great also. I should really listen to it again. Also, I think it might have been from 2000, not 2002.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 09:55:42 AM »
I don't agree. Icarus 2 was great, but most of it was below average for a Kansas record. and Grand Fun Alley is the worst Kansas song of there career.
I disagree strongly, I thought it was a fantastic album, in the vein of their earliest output, a chance at a return to greatness, eventually squandered.

If they can find a replacement and try to write new material, I will be overjoyed.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 10:30:17 AM »
I disagree strongly, I thought it was a fantastic album, in the vein of their earliest output, a chance at a return to greatness, eventually squandered.

If they can find a replacement and try to write new material, I will be overjoyed.
I may be being a bit harsh. I did like the album when I bought it but I don't think it aged well. Not for me anyhow. I should listen to it again objectively.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 02:10:04 PM »
It was a decent album.  I agree with Tick, in that it didn't age too well. 

Actually i loved "Byzantium", especially live.  that was a great tune.
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 09:15:53 PM »
I think Somewhere to Elsewhere belongs right up there with their first 5 albums in terms of quality. It was an amazing return to form. Unfortunately, being that Kerry Livgren wrote it, we likely won't ever see something along those lines again.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 06:46:25 AM »
I think Somewhere to Elsewhere belongs right up there with their first 5 albums in terms of quality. It was an amazing return to form. Unfortunately, being that Kerry Livgren wrote it, we likely won't ever see something along those lines again.
All of this.

Offline HolidaysAnoraks

« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 08:07:35 AM »
According to setlist fm this is the setlist with the new lineup:

People of the South Wind
Point of Know Return
The Wall
Reason To Be
Dust in the wind
Opus Insert
Closet Chronicles
Hold On
Belexes
Portrait
Sparks of the Tempest

Fight Fire
Carry on Wayward Son
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kansas/2014/state-fair-grandstands-oklahoma-city-ok-13cfe97d.html

It's good to see What's On My Mind and South Wind getting dragged out

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2014, 10:42:08 AM »
Yeah, but Sparks of the Tempest?   :tdwn

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »
I uploaded that set on there, but I wasn't there or anything. I just noticed some people posted it on Facebook so I thought it should be on setlist.fm. It could be off by a song, I don't know.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 06:11:57 PM »
I'm not a Southwind guy, but Closet Chronicles! Yes! Love some of the additions they've made.