Poll

How do you feel about the Prog of 2014?

Very Satisfied!
Satisfied Enough.
Meh...
Underwhelmed.
Disappointed!

Author Topic: The Year 2014 In Prog (So Far) - Disappointed or Satisfied?  (Read 4632 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: The Year 2014 In Prog (So Far) - Disappointed or Satisfied?
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2014, 09:12:14 PM »
It has indeed been a VERY slow year in music.
In prog maybe but music as a whole? Nah. There have plenty of other genres with lots of great music coming out. Metal, for example.

I think the problem is just that all the good prog bands released music last year or late 2012. Dream Theater, Haken, Spock's Beard, Rush, SW, the list goes on. There were a ton of great prog coming last year so it's only natural that this year is rather slow. I imagine the pace will be picked up quite a bit next year.

Well, I'm not really a "prog" fan in general, and I other than DT, I don't really care for any of the bands on your list, so I'm definitely not limiting myself to prog at all.  As for metal, I guess it just depends on the type of metal.  My issue is that very few of the bands I like or would buy music from, prog, metal, or otherwise, have put out albums this year.
My second comment wasn't directed toward you specifically, but just a general statement. There were a ton of prog releases last year, so it makes sense that the overwhelming opinion in this thread is that it's a disappointing year for prog. I can think of maybe 5 well known prog artists who released this year, one of which was very disappointing for most (Yes).
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: The Year 2014 In Prog (So Far) - Disappointed or Satisfied?
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2014, 09:36:01 AM »
I will say that, with respect to live releases, given that we have live albums this year from DT, Transatlantic, and Redemption, it has been a pretty solid year in that respect.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."