Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.insert number here.  (Read 390797 times)

Offline Jarlaxle

Re: The post funny stuff thread v.insert number here.
« Reply #5110 on: December 11, 2016, 05:24:10 PM »
That looks like something you'd pull out of a shower drain.

I think my grandma has a tattoo of it in her calf. Violet/green looking.
:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5111 on: December 12, 2016, 10:51:04 AM »

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5112 on: December 12, 2016, 11:12:35 AM »
West Coast

Snow in the forecast at any point in the upcoming week: People flood the stores buying generators, chains for their tires, and groceries for a month, yet still go out thinking that the city/county plowed the roads, which they did not.

One week later, the city/county says they are developing a plan for plowing the roads, meanwhile suggesting everyone stay home (because the plan won't be implemented anyway).
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5113 on: December 12, 2016, 11:35:31 AM »
Yeah, I was a bit disappointed that the west coast wasn't included, but the rest of it was pretty good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5114 on: December 12, 2016, 12:06:29 PM »
I live in the South, and I would just like to say...

That's pretty close.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5115 on: December 12, 2016, 12:13:09 PM »
Midwest is pretty on too.

I remember when I was in highschool, our superintendent was from Minnesota, so he never called snow days.....ever. Then one day we found out he retired and we were so excited to get someone who might actually make a good call. Turns out the next guy was from Alaska.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #5116 on: December 12, 2016, 12:26:25 PM »
At work, we used to have snow days (or late starts or early dismissal) extremely rarely, even if there was a state-of-emergency on.  Then one day somebody got in a bad wreck on their way home under those circumstances.  Suddenly, we started getting accommodations for snow very easily...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5117 on: December 12, 2016, 12:31:39 PM »
I grew up in Michigan, then lived for four years in Maryland, right near Chesapeake Bay.  Our first year there, they predicted 2 inches of snow and the entire area went into full-blown panic mode.  Schools closed early, stores and businesses shut down, it was just short of an actual Emergency with sirens and broadcasts on every TV and radio station.

My wife and I literally could not believe it.  We'd grown up with snow; it meant you allow a little extra stopping distance, just in case.  That's it.  We laughed our asses off at the entire county acting like it was the end of civilization.

Two days later, we figured it out.  Snow there is rare; some winters they didn't even get snow, not once.  So there were no plows or salt trucks or any other kind of equipment to actually deal with it.  I had no trouble driving to the store, but everything was closed!  That's why people stocked up on everything.  Getting to the stores wasn't the problem.  Everything being closed down was the problem.  It was easier to just not go anywhere for a few days than to learn how to drive with snow on the ground, so that was the culture.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5118 on: December 12, 2016, 01:03:34 PM »
Yup. People in Texas are unaccustomed to snow and generally try to avoid it. Moreover, the facilities aren't really in place. Going back to the picture, you think they're particularly adept at de-icing planes at DFW? NYC airports have a hard time keeping up. Lastly, people collectively shit themselves whenever child safety becomes an issue. Parents don't want their kids riding some ancient yellow bus driven by a white trash speedfreak and school districts don't want the liability. Truth is, school days can always be made up, if they even need to be.

On a side note, who doesn't enjoy a damn snow day? If it's an infrequent occurrence, stay the fuck home and have a nice, unscheduled day off.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ov7887ery

« Reply #5119 on: December 13, 2016, 12:30:59 PM »
I've heard about a woman in Texas ending up in "depression"?! because of snow... she said she never seen it and that's not right and she doesn't want it and so on and so forth?! well...  :chill

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5120 on: December 13, 2016, 12:37:46 PM »
I can only speak for Boston, but the collective memory of how we dealt with the snow seems to reset some time in the summer. Every year people act like it's the first time.

I've heard about a woman in Texas ending up in "depression"?! because of snow... she said she never seen it and that's not right and she doesn't want it and so on and so forth?! well...  :chill

My company had several Indians move to San Francisco because they couldn't deal with the snow. One told me he and his family were essentially cooped up in their apartment for 6 months. I told him that the solution is winter activities like skiing and skating, but he wouldn't hear of it.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5121 on: December 13, 2016, 01:08:13 PM »
If you even mutter the word 'snow' in St. Louis every supermarket will be raided for milk and bread....and I'm not kidding, schools begin to close before even a flak falls from the sky. It's insane. And then there's the obligatory 'everyone forgets how to drive' once there's the most subtle hint of snow precipitation on the road. When this city gets 2" of snow you'd think we got 7 foot by the way everything shuts down and people act.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5122 on: December 13, 2016, 01:20:28 PM »
There's some truth to what you guys are saying, but I think y'all are also conflating panic with jubilation. I hit the stores and "forget how to drive" because all I'm interested in doing on a snow day is sitting home with a bong full of snow and playing video games. Occasionally getting out to hunk snowballs at little kids. A whole lot of what y'all are describing is simply people resigning themselves to being home for a few extra days and preparing for it. Schools will shut down for liability and safety reasons. Dallas's state of the art light rail system tends to shut down if there's inclement weather. Plenty of businesses will have people stay home just to avoid the added risk of driving (and there is added risk). So yeah, some of it is panic but much of it is just making the best of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #5123 on: December 13, 2016, 01:32:54 PM »
If you even mutter the word 'snow' in St. Louis every supermarket will be raided for milk and bread....and I'm not kidding, schools begin to close before even a flak falls from the sky. It's insane. And then there's the obligatory 'everyone forgets how to drive' once there's the most subtle hint of snow precipitation on the road. When this city gets 2" of snow you'd think we got 7 foot by the way everything shuts down and people act.

Where in St. Louis is that?!?! I had like a handful of snow days in my entire highschool time. But that was Ladue, maybe we were made of sterner stuff ;)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5124 on: December 13, 2016, 02:29:49 PM »

Where in St. Louis is that?!?! I had like a handful of snow days in my entire highschool time. But that was Ladue, maybe we were made of sterner stuff ;)

Dude...Adami.....the past five years it's went of the crazy scale as far as when snow is forecast. Maybe KevShmev can chime in also. I'm the same way....back in 'my day' they didn't cancel anything. Now it's total opposite. The FOX School district literally cancels classes if snow is even predicted.

Offline Adami

« Reply #5125 on: December 13, 2016, 02:31:43 PM »
Wow that's crazy. And here I thought St. Louis couldn't get worse!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #5126 on: December 14, 2016, 05:04:32 AM »
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5127 on: December 14, 2016, 05:07:53 AM »
 :rollin 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #5128 on: December 14, 2016, 05:57:26 AM »
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5129 on: December 14, 2016, 08:02:24 AM »

Dude...Adami.....the past five years it's went of the crazy scale as far as when snow is forecast. Maybe KevShmev can chime in also. I'm the same way....back in 'my day' they didn't cancel anything. Now it's total opposite. The FOX School district literally cancels classes if snow is even predicted.
I have always lived in North Carolina.

The worst "freak-out" reaction I ever saw was during my sophomore year of high school.  I think it was in January.  I got on the school bus that morning, and it was cold and overcast.  We get to school.  During first period, it starts snowing, so the school system closes up shop and sends us home.  By the time I got off the bus (around 10:00 am), it has stopped snowing.

By around 1:00 pm, all the snow that had accumulated had melted, and you couldn't even tell that anything had happened. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5130 on: December 14, 2016, 08:35:00 AM »

I have always lived in North Carolina.

The worst "freak-out" reaction I ever saw was during my sophomore year of high school.  I think it was in January.  I got on the school bus that morning, and it was cold and overcast.  We get to school.  During first period, it starts snowing, so the school system closes up shop and sends us home.  By the time I got off the bus (around 10:00 am), it has stopped snowing.

By around 1:00 pm, all the snow that had accumulated had melted, and you couldn't even tell that anything had happened.

In defense of the FOX school district...where our kids attend....the majority of the roads where these kids live are rural, windy....tiny two lane roads so I 'get' the precaution. But the past few years like I said....even when snow is predicted they start to cancel classes without even seeing if it actually snows. There have been several days where the kids were at home and there was literally no accumulation at all.

The driving and how the populous reacts to even the slightest bit of snow is actually pretty funny. It's comical....we still reference the 'snowpacolypse' of a couple years ago when the city got somewhere around 2-3 inches and it was like we had an East Coast blizzard.  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5131 on: December 17, 2016, 05:56:19 AM »
Seagulls! (Stop It Now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9t-slLl30E

Oh I'm in tears :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #5132 on: December 22, 2016, 11:50:17 AM »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5133 on: December 22, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »
This thread is way too large. Locked, new one incoming.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman