Author Topic: Petrucci's best album?  (Read 1904 times)

Offline genome

Petrucci's best album?
« on: July 14, 2014, 09:41:54 AM »
Which album do you think contain's JP's best work?

Technique/performance: Train of Thought. I was listening to ToT earlier on today and it struck me that Petrucci's technique just seems to be spot on, it's super clean and precise. He was firing on every level on that album. However, I don't think compositionally they are the best solos he has performed by any stretch. That goes to:

Composition: A Dramatic Turn Of Events. I was torn between this and Scenes, but I went with ADTOE. I love his work on this album, I think the solos are tasteful and inventive and still technical. Breaking All Illusions is a given (even the short solo before the long one is fantastic and super fun to play) and OTBOA has a great solo too.

Tone: I'll probably go with Black Clouds.

How about you guys?

Offline RedKlouD72

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Petrucci's best album?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
I like those three categories.    Don't hold me to this for the rest of my life or anything, but I'll try...

Technique:  actually, I don't like this category. When was Petrucci ever sloppy?¿?¿?  ummm, I'm just going to have to say Self-Titled. He practices lots and keeps getting better at playing the guitar.

Composition: can't really beat Scenes From a Memory

Tone: This one might have to be Train Of Thought.
Ludicrously speedy or infectious with the slow-mo

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 10:03:23 AM »
Technique: That's a toughy. Probably either IaW or SFAM? He probably had more to prove on IaW, so he went all out, but SFAM was a creative peak for the entire band imo, and it shows a lot of variety and range.

Composition: This would basically fall in line with my favourite DT albums, since composition is what makes an album great, so I could go with either SDOIT/SFAM/IAW. All 3 feature consistently amazing composition for riffs, solos, and leads.

Tone: Either FII or SDOIT. I think his heavy guitars sound perfect on SDOIT, nice and clear with great lead tone. On FII he used probably the widest variety of different guitars and sounds, and the tone is great. Listen to his tone during the mid section of LITS. Tasty.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:23:49 PM »
Technique: I&W. JP was so groovy at the time. Nice licks here and there, awesome solos..

Composition: Train of Thought. I feel like JP was in his best in early 00's. The riffs was so simple and complicated at the same time!

Tone: BC&SL. The real chocolate cake. The deep, dark heavy sound and simple clear acustic sound.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:04:10 PM »

Technique: Images. Very innovative stuff being thrown at.

Composition: I think it's a tie between Awake and Falling Into Infinity. 

Tone: BC&SL. I'll copy and paste what YtseJamittaja said: "The real chocolate cake. The deep, dark heavy sound and simple clear acoustic sound".

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 02:25:40 PM »
Technique: Either IaW or SFAM.

Composition: IaW, Awake and SFAM (mainly IaW). SDOIT is my favorite but i admit isn't strong as these three in the songwriting department.

Tone: Probably FII.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »
Awake, Awake, and Awake

Offline Cable

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 07:00:18 PM »
Cool idea!  :tup I feel like this should continue with some of the other members.

Technique: SC. Even though this is my least favourite DT album, and not one of my favourite lead work album, JP admitted he pushed himself into using different techniques more than before (sweeping and legato). His alternate picked style is still there, but a much more blending in with legato runs.

Composition: SFAM. As  it was said, this goes with our top album. So SFAM for me. Honestly though, I feel JP with his entire song writing has been pretty consistent over his career.

Tone: ToT. As I always say, I'm biased towards Rectifier tones. So even though his clean has been way better (I'll take I&W for cleans), his distorted tone and sound is my favorite TOT. I feel like his used a recto at times on FII, and had the blend on Awake. But I don't like the sound of Awake overall, so TOT wins.
---

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 08:27:42 PM »
Six Degrees for the three categories - nothing can't touch it.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 09:05:25 PM »
Technique: TOT or I&W. TOT sounds so well executed and sharp. I&W incorporates so many different styles and sounds, and it really fits very well with the mood of the album. Also, UAGM.

Composition: SDOIT. I think he does a great job showcasing the variety of styles he can blend and emotion he can convey. Between TGP, BF, Disappear, GK, SS, and ATC (Reprise), everything is so diverse and interesting, and an absolute joy to listen to.

Tone: TOT. It sounds so wonderfully crisp and heavy. ITNOG and ES showcase this especially well, IMO.
 FII also has great tooooooooone.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 10:11:54 PM »
It's really easy to go with SFAM for all of these, but...

Technique: Train of Thought I could see being a real contender what with the amount of killer riffs and grooves he coined on this one, as well as absolutely insane solos. I&W also deserves a mention for JP being so full of soul.

Composition: Gonna have to go with Scenes without a doubt. It's hard to beat what's basically a staple in the progressive metal genre.

Tone: Again, TOT is a close contender, but something about his tone on SFAM I adore too much.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:06 PM »
I'd go with IAW for overall playing. Wide range of styles, and impeccable execution.
Can't really go with anything post-SDOIT. He switched his playing from bluesy shredding to (rather uninspiring) chromatic runs for the most part, that never connected with me.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 06:15:39 AM »
Six Degrees for the three categories - nothing can't touch it.

I was kinda thinking the same thing as well, but for the sake of variety:

Technique: I&W, his playing on this record is so clean and crisp. Every single note is articulated just as it should be and, like others have mentioned, he covers a lot of different styles or feels in his playing.

Composition: Gotta go with SDOIT on this one, SFAM could also be held on the same level. Just superb writing on both.

Tone: BC&SL or SDOIT probably, with ToT also being considered.  All three of those albums have different tones from JP but all three are excellent.

Offline genome

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 06:29:20 AM »
Black Clouds was the prototype Mark V wasn't it? I'm a sucker for his Mark tones!

Offline vbrodrigues95

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 04:48:27 PM »
Technique: ToT. I haven't listened to this album for a while until some days ago and I got impressed (again) by Petrucci's skills on this one.

Composition: IaW. I just love the guitar work on every single song on this album. Not that he is not creative on every album, which he is, but I like his ideas better on this one.

Tone: BC&SL. Just pure power.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Great thread!

Technique: Either I&W or SFaM. Special mention to DT12 because of Behind the Veil and Illumination Theory.

Composition: Awake or, once again, SFaM. Awake was energetic, heavy, inspiring. Phenomenal moments like Voices or Scarred, and unique compositions like Lifting Shadows off a Dream. SFaM, as has been said, was a moment of change for the band, truly defining for their sound, and we have JP to substantially thank for.

Toooooooooooooone: Hard one. FII, DT12 or BC&SL, depending on what I'm looking for specifically.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:57 AM »
He's been completely solid all the way through, but I would give the nod on all three categories to Awake.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline a8ac

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 05:57:22 PM »
Technique: ToT
Composition: SFAMor I&W
Tone: DT12

Thats it  ;D

Offline Nearmyth

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 10:37:52 AM »
This is really difficult, because he does such a consistently fantastic job throughout his career.

I loved how his soloing sounded in BC&SL. Soloing technique/general technique would have to go to ToT.
His riffing was nice and crisp but with a perfect amount of heavy in SDOIT, as well as Awake.
Composition and how his playing accompanies the music is probably best in SFAM. Imo solo composition started to go downhill with SDOIT, less melodic and a lot more shreddy.
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"