Author Topic: James Speaking On Score  (Read 10067 times)

Offline Grizz

Re: James Speaking On Score
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2014, 06:11:46 PM »
I don't get the flamboyant (you can't generalize an entire class of people) vibe from James at all.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2014, 06:17:14 PM »
Errrr.... I already said it's not flamboyant. wtf. No offense guys, but do you only know gays from TV shows where they are over-the-top flamboyant?
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2014, 06:19:53 PM »
There's no such thing as a gay way of talking. Flamboyancy is the effeminate gay stereotype and I've never heard of a different "gay" way of taking.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2014, 06:30:23 PM »
FWIW I don't want a song introduced before it begins. If I don't know the setlist I don't want my suspense to be ruined by somebody just telling me it's next. That's like some guy next to you shouting it out beforehand, only difference being I can't accidentally punch James in the face. During the start of the song it fills in those who don't know, and serves as a time to cheer for those who do know.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2014, 06:41:36 PM »
There's no such thing as a gay way of talking. Flamboyancy is the effeminate gay stereotype and I've never heard of a different "gay" way of taking.

Maybe time to get out more.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 07:34:38 PM »
I just thought it was because he is Canadian.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 07:44:58 PM »
He talks over the solo in Hollow Years on Live at Budokan,

I meant where he talks over the solo. The Hollow Years "Mr. John Petrucci", to me, is perfectly timed. It's at the perfect spot where JP transitions the solo into that last goosebump inducing part and I think it adds to the whole energy of the moment.

This 100%.  When James calls out JP's name during the climax of the solo, JP raises his arm whilst bending notes and the crowd reacts -- a simply splendid moment that makes that track standout.

I don't mind the whole delayed announcement of the song thing either.  It just feels like the rock thing to do (and he's always done it).

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 07:53:57 PM »
I just thought it was because he is Canadian.

Canadian/Gay, it's all the same. Just ask Chad.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 10:03:26 PM »
James' talking parts on Luna Park are indeed VERY strange.

Oh come on. Look, James comes out there and talks every night. And it's completely improvisational. He doesn't like to script himself, he just likes to do this...
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 10:29:12 PM »
I think James has said that he's not very comfortable speaking on stage, so imagine that's where the awkwardness comes from, especially if he knows the show is being filmed for a DVD.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2014, 12:02:31 AM »
What I don't understand is how he will sometimes act like he gets bored of using syllables or distinct words. 

I don't remember if its an official or unofficial live albums but during The Mirror he says, "Whenineedyou...myoust"

Or from the Milwaukee Summer Fest 20 years ago when he introduces the new song "To Live Fo-weh-ba"

Its one thing to introduce a song and be like, "This next song is called RAGING FUCKING HELL!!!!!!" and growl like a demon from hell....but why just let your jaw go slack and let the sounds come out without moving any muscles?  If they did have a song that had that title I'm sure James at some point in his life would introduce it as, "This next song is called Ray-jing....Heeeeeyyyyaaaah"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2014, 12:05:53 AM »
I think James is pretty flamboyant in general.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 01:39:26 AM »
What I don't understand is how he will sometimes act like he gets bored of using syllables or distinct words. 

I don't remember if its an official or unofficial live albums but during The Mirror he says, "Whenineedyou...myoust"

Or from the Milwaukee Summer Fest 20 years ago when he introduces the new song "To Live Fo-weh-ba"

Its one thing to introduce a song and be like, "This next song is called RAGING FUCKING HELL!!!!!!" and growl like a demon from hell....but why just let your jaw go slack and let the sounds come out without moving any muscles?  If they did have a song that had that title I'm sure James at some point in his life would introduce it as, "This next song is called Ray-jing....Heeeeeyyyyaaaah"

Yeah this is kind of annoying, i don't know why he does it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 04:01:47 AM »
He talks over the solo in Hollow Years on Live at Budokan,

I meant where he talks over the solo. The Hollow Years "Mr. John Petrucci", to me, is perfectly timed. It's at the perfect spot where JP transitions the solo into that last goosebump inducing part and I think it adds to the whole energy of the moment.

I agree.  It's not like he starts a conversation during the solo.  He says three words, and says them in such a way that is perfectly relevant to what is going on.
yup.

I think James has said that he's not very comfortable speaking on stage, so imagine that's where the awkwardness comes from, especially if he knows the show is being filmed for a DVD.
yup. In the interviews with Myles Kennedy, they bond a little over that, and the stupid stuff they tend to say ocassionally :lol

James, if you're reading this, you're fine, we're just a bunch of overanalytical assholes :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline genome

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2014, 04:27:40 AM »
I think that calling out the names during the solos is really the only deviation/live moment you will get these days. Gives the performance some life. I think it's cool.

But it distracts from the actual solos.
In LSFNY, when he waited until the very end of Through Her Eyes to say, "John Petrucci on Guitar." That's how it should be done.

Is there an example of where he does this?

He did it on Sunday at Sonisphere, near the end of TLG solo. I thought it was quite cool, got everyone throwing their arms up in the air before the last chorus. Nothing wrong with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLF0lfgyLf4&t=3m37s

Offline Skeever

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 07:23:00 AM »
I think that calling out the names during the solos is really the only deviation/live moment you will get these days. Gives the performance some life. I think it's cool.

In LSFNY, when he waited until the very end of Through Her Eyes to say, "John Petrucci on Guitar." That's how it should be done.

He did it on Sunday at Sonisphere, near the end of TLG solo. I thought it was quite cool, got everyone throwing their arms up in the air before the last chorus. Nothing wrong with that.

Man that's a pretty flat performance.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 10:01:53 AM »
James was sick before Score? Is that why he sounded flat on the previous Wallingford gig (the pissed off Mike Portnoy show and the parts of the In Constant Motion solo in which he's wearing a UConn jersey)?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2014, 10:16:36 AM »

James, if you're reading this, you're fine, we're just a bunch of overanalytical assholes :heart

As one of those overanalytical assholes, I agree completely. 

He is still my favorite member and while I can't fathom while he drops syllables sometimes or does other quirky things, I actually don't want him to change at all. 

Don't change, man.  Don't change.  Without those quirks we probably wouldn't get the other quirky stuff he does...and that would just suck. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2014, 10:29:53 AM »
James was sick before Score? Is that why he sounded flat on the previous Wallingford gig (the pissed off Mike Portnoy show and the parts of the In Constant Motion solo in which he's wearing a UConn jersey)?
We have people here who attended that show (if that's the same one), and they can confirm. He also looks very red-nosed on the Score-docu, and apparently the illness got to JP as well, as he's sniffling on Score constantly :laugh:

Don't change, man.  Don't change.
a-men

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2014, 10:31:20 AM »
Constant Motion was not out at the time of Score. I was at the show 2 days before Radio City but it was my first DT show so I was in la la land.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2014, 11:35:44 AM »
Constant Motion was not out at the time of Score. I was at the show 2 days before Radio City but it was my first DT show so I was in la la land.
I think Grizz is speaking of MP's In Constant Motion video, which features parts of the Wallingford gig.

As for whether James was sick at the time or not, I don't recall. Will have to go back and listen to the bootlegs, but there's nothing in my memory of him being sick - and I'm sure it would've been a concern on my mind if it had been the case, just as I still remember JP's guitar dropping out during part of UaGM at the RCMH gig.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2014, 09:24:51 PM »
I remember JLB being sick a week or two before Score, but to his credit, he kept the standard very high.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2014, 10:39:42 PM »
I remember MP making a statement about the cancellation of the show before the Score concert.  He said James wasn't feeling in top form and with so much riding on the sold out radio city music hall, the filming, and (unknown at the time) the orchestra, they didn't want to risk it.  So I don't think it was full blown illness but he was afraid there was an onset of an illness coming. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2014, 11:20:43 PM »
I remember MP making a statement about the cancellation of the show before the Score concert.  He said James wasn't feeling in top form and with so much riding on the sold out radio city music hall, the filming, and (unknown at the time) the orchestra, they didn't want to risk it.  So I don't think it was full blown illness but he was afraid there was an onset of an illness coming.
Hmmm - I did recall that he had been on the verge of coming down with something, so I stand corrected. I just remembered that the cancellation largely being because they just didn't want to push him over the edge. Here's MP's post regarding the cancellation:
https://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?high=&m=1200908&mpage=1#1200908
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2014, 12:39:17 AM »

It's just a thing that can happen with singing, if you're more focused on reaching or controlling a particular pitch and don't have certain muscles in the right place to pronounce something, like the shape of your lips or the position of your tongue when you're already singing the note, the control of the annunciation can waver in the same way someone might accidentally mumble or slur a sentence. I think it's completely unintentional and can sometimes be a tricky thing to be aware of especially when vowel sounds are generally the predominant sound that vocalists will use to extend a note they're holding.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2014, 01:18:46 AM »

It's just a thing that can happen with singing, if you're more focused on reaching or controlling a particular pitch and don't have certain muscles in the right place to pronounce something, like the shape of your lips or the position of your tongue when you're already singing the note, the control of the annunciation can waver in the same way someone might accidentally mumble or slur a sentence. I think it's completely unintentional and can sometimes be a tricky thing to be aware of especially when vowel sounds are generally the predominant sound that vocalists will use to extend a note they're holding.

Yes!

Offline Enalya

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »
I use his extremely high and weird "Welcome toooo" at the beginning of Score as a joke or remark, that no one ever understands :biggrin: I tend to have that with more of their lines, like "so what the f*ck"...

Love his new 'red' hair btw (not gay, it's not).

Offline genome

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2014, 10:21:20 AM »

Man that's a pretty flat performance.

Sounded great from where I was standing!

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2014, 11:00:07 AM »

I'm not talking about singing though.  I totally understand why he sometimes doesn't enunciate while he is singing incredibly challenging and high pitch vocal melodies, I'm talking about his stage banter. 

Offline Raise the Drum

• ::::::::::|...|::::::::::
  • Ñ
« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2014, 12:08:53 PM »
I always laugh when I hear James speaking at the begining of TDEN from LALP.
Especially on the "...systematic chaos he' we geeeewo"  :lol
Its like he's being crushed by a very slow steamroller.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2014, 12:16:14 PM »
Love his new 'red' hair btw
WHERE, what

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »
Hmmm - I did recall that he had been on the verge of coming down with something, so I stand corrected. I just remembered that the cancellation largely being because they just didn't want to push him over the edge. Here's MP's post regarding the cancellation:

When they cancelled that show, i became very worried about the Boston show. Seemed everything was riding on the Radio City gig.

And although you cannot tell drom the boot, James loked absolutely terrible in Boston. They all loked tired. MP was VERY cranky. I've told Scotty this before, but the band looked absolutely spent in Boston.
My respect went way up for James that night, especially the way MP seemed to be yelling at him. James even gave hime a "whatever" as he stormed off the stage for a solo.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2014, 12:32:19 PM »
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Perfect description for his odd quirky banter. :lol

When they cancelled that show, i became very worried about the Boston show. Seemed everything was riding on the Radio City gig.

And although you cannot tell drom the boot, James loked absolutely terrible in Boston. They all loked tired. MP was VERY cranky. I've told Scotty this before, but the band looked absolutely spent in Boston.
My respect went way up for James that night, especially the way MP seemed to be yelling at him. James even gave hime a "whatever" as he stormed off the stage for a solo.

Gonna try to find this.  If anybody has any links they can share from this night, please do. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »
Speaking of that, I love the way he says "Systematic Chaos" in this video :D