Author Topic: James Speaking On Score  (Read 10110 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
James Speaking On Score
« on: July 11, 2014, 09:42:54 AM »
Something I have always wanted to comment on...
I always find the way James speaks to the crowd on Score a bit odd. Its very deliberate and almost theatrical in nature. Is there a term for the manor in which he speaks?  because its certainly not natural. Anyone else find it strange in general?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: James Speaking On Score
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 10:46:25 AM »
I always thought it just sounds a little weird because they had to rehearse these things by the minute (and they still got punished for going overtime), and because he was really sick up to the show, and they were all kinda tired.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 11:57:35 AM »
So I guess I'm pretty much that thinks he is over the top on Score? Ok then, moving on....

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
I just assumed that was James' weird "we're recording this for DVD" voice. He sometimes seems more goofy/awkward than at non-recorded shows.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:04:14 PM »
I just assumed that was James' weird "we're recording this for DVD" voice. He sometimes seems more goofy/awkward than at non-recorded shows.
Its just awkward.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 02:18:38 PM »
Maybe he just wanted to make sure he didn't make the same "especially special" comment he had previously!   :biggrin:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:35:28 PM »
His awkward banter on the Boston DVD will top Score.  I think its just a natural physical reaction of trying to speak casually in the heat of an adrenaline rush.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:49 PM »
His awkward banter on the Boston DVD will top Score.  I think its just a natural physical reaction of trying to speak casually in the heat of an adrenaline rush.
Yup.

He seems surprisingly uncomfortable speaking to crowds. It's like he's saying one thing while thinking of another.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 02:41:05 PM »
He's never struck me as someone who is totally relaxed talking to crowds and whatnot, but it's not like he's bad at it; just not a natural.

I still wish someone to tell him to not talk over solos.  Like saying, "Mr. John Petrucci!" at the end of JP's Hollow Years solo at the Budokan show, or yapping, "Give it up for these guys!" during the climax of the Beyond This Life solo section at the same show. :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »

I still wish someone to tell him to not talk over solos.  Like saying, "Mr. John Petrucci!" at the end of JP's Hollow Years solo at the Budokan show, or yapping, "Give it up for these guys!" during the climax of the Beyond This Life solo section at the same show. :facepalm:

Nah, I like that. I just wish he'd give JM some props.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »
Yup.

He seems surprisingly uncomfortable speaking to crowds. It's like he's saying one thing while thinking of another.

Oh god, yes. I know James is completely heterosexual and I'm not insinuating anything ... but there are several moments where he sounds positively homosexual in his inflection.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
He's never struck me as someone who is totally relaxed talking to crowds and whatnot, but it's not like he's bad at it; just not a natural.

The thing that kills me the most was his habit on the last tour of introducing the song after the band had been playing it for a minute. "This is a A Fortune in Lies" or "This is from the Awake album!" - really? I think we've already figured that out by now!  :facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:56:09 PM »
Something I have always wanted to comment on...
I always find the way James speaks to the crowd on Score a bit odd. Its very deliberate and almost theatrical in nature. Is there a term for the manor in which he speaks?  because its certainly not natural. Anyone else find it strange in general?

It's certainly different, but I just always accepted it as being his style of speaking to the crowd, and let's face it, it's quite different from any other frontman I've ever heard. But I dig it.

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes. It saddens me every time he does that.

[quote author=TAC link=topic=41906.msg1831068#msg1831068
Oh god, yes. I know James is completely heterosexual and I'm not insinuating anything ... but there are several moments where he sounds positively homosexual in his inflection.

I think the term you're thinking of is flamboyant.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »

The thing that kills me the most was his habit on the last tour of introducing the song after the band had been playing it for a minute. "This is a A Fortune in Lies" or "This is from the Awake album!" - really? I think we've already figured that out by now!  :facepalm:

Regarding Kev's complaint about saying the band member's names after/during solos, I think it comes from jazz band performances. I'm not sure how much influence jazz bands are on to JLB, but I've been to jazz concerts where musicians take a solo, and the conductor would say the soloist's name after their solo, or near the end of it, which would then lead to applause by the audience. Sure, DT aren't a jazz band, but the jammy aspect, as well as their ability to play long (and sometimes extended), virtuoso solos lends itself to being LIKE a jazz band performance.

As for saying what album a song is from after it has begun...that is a bit annoying, but I guess it's for new fans? I mean, someone who JUST discovered the band an album or two back might not know what song "Caught In A Web" is from, or what even "A Fortune In Lies" is! I think it's for THEIR benefit.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 02:58:15 PM »

I think the term you're thinking of is flamboyant.

Nope. Flamboyant is different. Have you heard the bootleg of the gig?

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »
Regarding Kev's complaint about saying the band member's names after/during solos, I think it comes from jazz band performances. I'm not sure how much influence jazz bands are on to JLB, but I've been to jazz concerts where musicians take a solo, and the conductor would say the soloist's name after their solo, or near the end of it, which would then lead to applause by the audience. Sure, DT aren't a jazz band, but the jammy aspect, as well as their ability to play long (and sometimes extended), virtuoso solos lends itself to being LIKE a jazz band performance.

I have no problem with him calling out their names, AFTER solos. It's during that's the problem. Especially considering that DT's solos tend to often build into something grand, and oftentimes, the best part of the solo is nearing the end, just when he speaks.

Nope. Flamboyant is different. Have you heard the bootleg of the gig?

No. I have no idea which gig you're referring to, so I'm quite certain I haven't heard it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
I think that calling out the names during the solos is really the only deviation/live moment you will get these days. Gives the performance some life. I think it's cool.

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
I think that calling out the names during the solos is really the only deviation/live moment you will get these days. Gives the performance some life. I think it's cool.

But it distracts from the actual solos.
In LSFNY, when he waited until the very end of Through Her Eyes to say, "John Petrucci on Guitar." That's how it should be done.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 03:07:25 PM »
As for saying what album a song is from after it has begun...that is a bit annoying, but I guess it's for new fans? I mean, someone who JUST discovered the band an album or two back might not know what song "Caught In A Web" is from, or what even "A Fortune In Lies" is! I think it's for THEIR benefit.
So that's why you introduce a song before the band starts to play it - not 1 minute after!   :P

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 03:11:42 PM »
So that's why you introduce a song before the band starts to play it - not 1 minute after!   :P

I always thought they did that so that the drummer knows what to play, since drummers can't read.  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2014, 03:12:58 PM »

In LSFNY, when he waited until the very end of Through Her Eyes to say, "John Petrucci on Guitar." That's how it should be done.

Is there an example of where he does this?

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2014, 03:15:18 PM »

I always thought they did that so that the drummer knows what to play, since drummers can't read.  ;D

This is Sir Walrus Cauliflower's friend replying for him, since he is a drummer. After telling him what your post said, he told me to tell you that drummers are not stupid, and that he is offended by that.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 03:17:20 PM »

Is there an example of where he does this?

Umm.. Where he talks OVER the solos? Or where he talks after the song?

He talks over the solo in Hollow Years on Live at Budokan, and he says, "John Petrucci on Guitar" after Through Her Eyes in Live Scenes from New York.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »
Ok, now we have a topic going! :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2014, 03:22:09 PM »
He talks over the solo in Hollow Years on Live at Budokan,

I meant where he talks over the solo. The Hollow Years "Mr. John Petrucci", to me, is perfectly timed. It's at the perfect spot where JP transitions the solo into that last goosebump inducing part and I think it adds to the whole energy of the moment.

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2014, 03:26:40 PM »
I meant where he talks over the solo. The Hollow Years "Mr. John Petrucci", to me, is perfectly timed. It's at the perfect spot where JP transitions the solo into that last goosebump inducing part and I think it adds to the whole energy of the moment.

I still think it's distracting. You know what, I don't really care if he calls out the soloist's name at the end of the solo itself on a typical basis. Any other solo, fine, if we want to hear it in its purity, we can listen to the album version. But this wasn't a typical solo. This was an extended solo that was only immortalized properly in this one live album. And every time we hear it, we have to hear James call out JP's name in the middle of it. That's what I don't like.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »

I still think it's distracting. You know what, I don't really care if he calls out the soloist's name at the end of the solo itself on a typical basis. Any other solo, fine, if we want to hear it in its purity, we can listen to the album version. But this wasn't a typical solo. This was an extended solo that was only immortalized properly in this one live album. And every time we hear it, we have to hear James call out JP's name in the middle of it. That's what I don't like.

That's a fair enough sentiment.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »

I agree.  It's not like he starts a conversation during the solo.  He says three words, and says them in such a way that is perfectly relevant to what is going on.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 03:52:58 PM »

This is Sir Walrus Cauliflower's friend replying for him, since he is a drummer. After telling him what your post said, he told me to tell you that drummers are not stupid, and that he is offended by that.
LOL! Well played!  :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 03:54:09 PM »

I agree.  It's not like he starts a conversation during the solo.  He says three words, and says them in such a way that is perfectly relevant to what is going on.

Yes, exactly!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 03:56:37 PM »
James' talking parts on Luna Park are indeed VERY strange. Score too, but he barely talks in that one.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2014, 04:16:06 PM »

Sorry but what is homosexual sound? How can someone sound homosexual or heterosexual or you simply intend to say: he sounds feminine  a bit?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2014, 04:24:56 PM »

Sorry but what is homosexual sound? How can someone sound homosexual or heterosexual or you simply intend to say: he sounds feminine  a bit?
https://web.archive.org/web/20071101043238/https://www.newsandevents.utoronto.ca/bin2/020218c.asp

Sometimes, I can tell that someone is gay by the sound of their voice. However, that's just for some people. Sometimes I find out people are gay later when they speak quite normally.

That said, I don't get that impression from James at all really. He doesn't sound gay to me. Just a bit uncomfortable, and a little awkward.

Now the whole 80s style of high pitched singing is obviously not the most masculine thing either.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »

https://web.archive.org/web/20071101043238/https://www.newsandevents.utoronto.ca/bin2/020218c.asp

This is what I want to say actually. Some can sound feminine, that's all. I believe there is a perplexity while using these terms. Homosexual doesn't mean "being a femine" for men but many use the term of homosexuality as feminine.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
I don't know where people live and what friends they are surrounded by, but living in Boston you know very well the distinctive pattern of intonation that gay people have. It's no different from Valley Talk or Ebonics in that it identifies yourself as part of a certain subculture.
All I'm saying is they James skirts dangerously close to that when he talks to the audience in Boston.