Author Topic: JLB on the possibility of "DT by request" shows  (Read 4884 times)

Offline genome

Re: JLB on the possibility of "DT by request" shows
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 03:54:04 PM »
As I understand it, Metallica is NOT having the fans pick the entire setlist, nor or they drawing from their whole catalog.  Each night the fans vote on three songs selected by the band.  The one song that wins among those three is played that night as the "fan voted song."

If you look at Metallica's recent setlists, you will notice that the three song choices are rotated out of a standing pool of five or six songs throughout the leg.  I'm sure DT could do this no problem.   The interviewer did not explain to James that Metallica's voting system was based on six songs.  I  hope understanding this may change James' answer.

No, they are voting for the whole setlist. Then another song is voted for on the day and one spot is reserved by the band for their new song. (I saw them on Sunday, voted for their setlist too)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 04:23:30 PM »
It's an awesome idea in theory, but it could make for a flub fest if DT were to try it. These guys are perfectionists. I don't think they could smile, laugh it off and take any mistakes in stride.
Now if they were to have a tour where fan votes are tabulated "Name your set list tour" and the set list was made by the highest percentage of votes for songs made the set list that could work and it might make for an interesting set list? Then again, maybe it wouldn't. I don't know, I'm so confused. In Houston it might work?
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 05:32:59 PM »
I think at the end of they day if they do what they are currently doing, playing mostly a completely different set each tour then there is no need as most of the catalogue gets played over time.  A band like Metallica plays mostly the same songs every tour so a "by request" works a bit more especially since the hits wil always get the most votes.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
The only thing I could even remotely see happening is that dt.net would host a poll with a short list of songs that haven't been played for a while, and people can vote them into the next tour's setlist. DT is not gonna do a one-off show with all kinds of songs they have to spend months on rehearsing. Like it or not, but those days are over. I mean, they didn't even bother switching up the setlist for the second European leg, even though there were several months downtime.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 06:55:57 PM »
I remember The Stones had 3 or 6 songs that the fans would vote for in each town and they would announce and play that song that night.  DT could do something like that.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 01:59:07 AM »

No, they are voting for the whole setlist. Then another song is voted for on the day and one spot is reserved by the band for their new song. (I saw them on Sunday, voted for their setlist too)

Gotcha.  It surprises me that the Metallica setlists contain 95% of the same songs each night -- played in the same order.   It appears only a couple are switched out in the "rotation" spot.

In any event -- DT could totally handle having fans vote in a "rotation spot" song with some advance notice. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 04:09:55 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 02:10:02 AM »
I think at the end of they day if they do what they are currently doing, playing mostly a completely different set each tour then there is no need as most of the catalogue gets played over time.  A band like Metallica plays mostly the same songs every tour so a "by request" works a bit more especially since the hits wil always get the most votes.

Despite my stance on request setlists being as awesome idea (mostly from a selfish point of view as there are plenty of other reasons why it might not be ideal for the band and their presentation). I think you make a very good point. It's awesome Metallica are doing this as their setlists can be said to have gotten a bit stale, but DT have never had this problem. Sure some people might complain that they get a set that they don't want, but in the end there's been so much variety over the years that it doesn't matter all too much. The only songs that haven't been represented within DTs catalog, are the complete obscurities. Even some of the less popular songs have been well represented on their albums respective tour and we have recorded live footage of at least 75% of their songs. (stats pulled out of my ass)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 02:38:21 AM »
I mean, they didn't even bother switching up the setlist for the second European leg, even though there were several months downtime.
If I were waiting for the second leg to see them (since not everyone lives in NYC and gets to see them whenever), I'd be pissed if they changed this special setlist.

we have recorded live footage of at least 75% of their songs. (stats pulled out of my ass)
Outside of DVD quality, we have recorded live footage of all but one of their songs, and even three or four obscurities.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 04:17:14 AM »
Haha, well yeah, I was hesitant to say we had footage of almost everything but then I pulled back when I considered that official DVDs and Live CDs are pretty much what the average fan would go by. Which I estimated 75% of their discography is represented again live, on these releases, so I should have added this consideration.

So yeah, I just actually bothered to count, and it seems there are 102 studio DT songs that are on the official albums and that doesn't even count any B sides or bonus tracks and I merged stuff like 6DOIT or ITPOE parts as one count. Then I counted the songs that are represented on official release only (not even counting official bootlegs just: Marquee/Livetime<+5years>/Budokan/Score/Chaos/Luna). And it would seem that 79 out of the 102 songs have official live versions which is quite an impressive count if you ask me. Even though there's actually almost 90 songs from these live releases as some obscurities that were played, weren't included on a main album. (Bombay Vindaloo/Another Won/FII B sides etc.) If I had pulled the stat '77.45%' of album songs had been represented in official live albums' it would have been more accurate apparently. :P

Could probably collect different stats if we included more content but I just tried to keep it simple; if you could call it that, so I'm not doing it again. :lol

In any case, I think it's amazing that they've played almost everything they've ever written live (as DT), save for an ancient B side and a very obscure instrumental. And then represented most of what they've played on live releases, it's pretty awesome really. Bands like Rush have represented a huge amount of their songs as well, but as I understand it there are still quite a handful of songs that they haven't even touched at all after they made the album and most bands only play the hitz.

EDIT: Oh I forgot to refer TBOT  ;D. I was counting Don't Look Past me and Raw Dog as the 2 unplayed pieces.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:23:22 PM by Rodni Demental »

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 04:48:10 AM »
That is quite an impressive percentage just for official releases. Granted, a lot of those songs were one-offs for those shows, and not necessarily representative of how often those songs were played on those tours, but even to have varied their live release setlists to that extent is standout.
And if you count official bootlegs (which I could lean either way on a case by case basis), that percentage would probably increase quite a lot.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 05:01:21 AM »
That is quite an impressive percentage just for official releases. Granted, a lot of those songs were one-offs for those shows, and not necessarily representative of how often those songs were played on those tours, but even to have varied their live release setlists to that extent is standout.
And if you count official bootlegs (which I could lean either way on a case by case basis), that percentage would probably increase quite a lot.
Basically, they've played most of what they've ever written live. The only songs they haven't played live are some Majesty tunes, Don't Look Past Me and The Best Of Times. And you can find at least a decent live unofficial version of most of them.

But, you know, they're "lazy" for not rotating the most special setlist they've had in the last ten years this tour. And before someone says that variety was just an MP thing - this lineup premiered two of the remaining three album tracks that had never been played live, one of which was requested for years, and resurrected the evening with format, which was also missing since the 8VM tours.

I'm largely not motivated to spend a lot of time and money to see the show, since I haven't been actively listening to them for years, but they're doing a great thing now and I'm not sure whether they could (realistically) top this show by adding anything else.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 05:34:51 AM »
By Request shows don't mean they play the songs on the day - they know the setlists way in advance.

Offline genome

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 04:19:52 AM »
They could always simplify it, and say prepare 3 or 4 different sets as a whole, and ticket holders vote on which set they'd prefer to see. That way there's still an element of choice and the band are prepared for whichever setlist is voted for.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2014, 11:40:50 AM »
I like the idea mentioned of the band putting up a poll and allowing fans to choose what songs they'd like that would fit within a 2-3 hour time limit. Then pick the top 10 or so songs to be in the master setlist, take the next 8 most chosen songs to use for A and B setlists, and then have the next 5 most chosen songs to fit into a slot specifically chosen by those who purchased tickets to each respective show. It gives the audience a say in the setlist, and yet is balanced/reasonable for the band to prepare for.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
Only if we can vote on You Not Me :)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2014, 12:38:32 PM »
A setlist fully made of requested songs wouldn't make much sense show-wise. In my opinion, at least. I would, on the other hand, love if they were to make a poll where you could decide let's say, 1/2 of the songs to fit between the staples or somewhere else. A slot-based poll with a number of options would make so that the desired pace of the showis not disrupted.

For instance:

FAS
The Enemy Inside
CHOICE: TSF - TGP - TDEN - Endless Sacrifice - Outcry
CHOICE: On The Backs Of Angels - Pull Me Under - A Fortune In Lies
The Looking Glass
CHOICE: Trial Of Tears - Lines In The Sand - Blind Faith - The Great Debate
CHOICE: Enigma Machine - Ytse Jam - Caught In A Web (all with drum Solo)
Along For The Ride
CHOICE: Breaking All Illusions - Bridges In The Sky - The Killing Hand - Take The Time - Learning To Live - (Behind The Veil + Surrender To Reason)
---
CHOICE: Awake Set - Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - (Octavarium + Metropolis)
Illumination Theory
---
CHOICE: SFAM Set - A Change Of Seasons - (Vacant+Stream Of Consciousness+In The Name Of God)

In This way you would have a huge number of possible shows without risking to underplay the promotion of the current album (whatever album they'd be promoting in that tour) or having a poorly constructed set.

:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »

Oh we will.  It will happen.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52:40 AM »
No, no, no, no, no.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »
No, no, no, no, no.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Laughingplace56

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2014, 09:39:18 AM »
I am down with any type of set or show that will bring The Glass Prison back to a live setting.

But honestly, a by request show would be really cool. They'd have to set up guidelines for sure, but it's possible. My idea was they play the entire album they're touring, have the rest of the slots in the main set up for vote, then have the encore be the song people vote on out of 5-6 at the venue. Songs like Metropolis, PMU, BAI, WFS/LTL, etc.

If needed, they can have a pool of songs only applicable for the main set, ruling out the 20+ min epics that would take up the entire show.

Offline genome

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
I think it's a pretty cool idea, but on the other hand I'm not sure I trust the voting tendencies of most people. I'd be worried about getting songs like Panic Attack, Constant Motion, and PMU. Not that I don't like PMU (the other two I don't like much), but you get the idea.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2014, 01:49:54 PM »
Medley by request

We should all vote on our favourite songs to be put together as a medley. JP would love it!

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Grizz

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »
Medleys cause cancer
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2014, 04:19:11 PM »

You can, Not me.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:06 PM »
Medleys cause cancer

So do drum solos. And loud music causes tinnitus. Live shows are such a risk!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2014, 11:01:14 PM »
Not to mention the drugs. All rock concerts are full of junkies, and Black tar Heroin is a common problem given the number of satanists who listen to that new fangled "Dream Theater" stuff.

Seriously though, my best friend's mother took it upon herself to warn us about the possibility of "funny smelling cigarettes" at the KC show I went to.  :lol
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2014, 01:33:01 AM »
The real cigarettes are probably a lot more likely to give you cancer than the 'funny smelling' ones.. ;)

EDIT: I also like medleys and drum solos, it's the good stuff. Granted I'd rather see a keyboard spot but drum solos can be pretty wow sometimes so I don't understand the dislike.  :hat
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:52:55 AM by Rodni Demental »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2014, 07:13:34 AM »
I think it's a pretty cool idea, but on the other hand I'm not sure I trust the voting tendencies of most people.
Agreed.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.