Author Topic: Out of Print CDs  (Read 2399 times)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
Out of Print CDs
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:54:09 AM »
Why the heck does stuff go out of print so soon these days.  I mean, I can understand some of this stuff isn't still selling 9,000 copies a week like Dark Side of the Moon but the past few weeks I've had trouble finding:

Spock's Beard - Octane (OOP)
Spock's Beard - Feel Euphoria (OOP)
Spock's Beard - S/T (OOP)
Rewiring Genesis - A Tribute to Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Granted with the SB, that's Inside Out being a bunch of jerks and not wanting to spin up production on more discs (or so Sonya on the SB Fan Forum says)

That's just off the top of my head.  I did find both SB albums used by pure luck for a decent price.  The Genesis Tribute I've found on Amazon for $100. HEH.

:facepalm:

Online The Letter M

Re: Out of Print CDs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 10:15:33 AM »
Wow, I had no idea those were the prices for some of these. I'm sure glad I got them when they were new, but the SB stuff shouldn't be THAT expensive. Well, the self-titled 9th album is kind of hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spocks-Beard-Octane-/111263294077?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item19e7cf227d

Here's a cheap copy of Octane on eBay right now, and it's the 2CD version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spocks-Beard-Feel-Euphoria-Limited-CD-pressed-in-Germany-SEALED-Bonus-Tracks-/191238540974?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item2c86b48eae

The special edition of Feel Euphoria.

Not much help on the self-titled album or the Rewiring Genesis.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
Wow, I had no idea those were the prices for some of these. I'm sure glad I got them when they were new, but the SB stuff shouldn't be THAT expensive. Well, the self-titled 9th album is kind of hard to find.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spocks-Beard-Octane-/111263294077?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item19e7cf227d

Here's a cheap copy of Octane on eBay right now, and it's the 2CD version.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spocks-Beard-Feel-Euphoria-Limited-CD-pressed-in-Germany-SEALED-Bonus-Tracks-/191238540974?pt=Music_CDs&hash=item2c86b48eae

The special edition of Feel Euphoria.

Not much help on the self-titled album or the Rewiring Genesis.

-Marc.

Yeah I found Octane and FE for under $10 each in the special editions.  I found SB9 (Self Titled) too.  The one that eludes me is the Rewiring Genesis.

It just irks me that albums that aren't even a decade old for the most part can be out of print.  I guess it's just a demand thing, but c'mon!

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:07 AM »
Luckily I've been able to find many things used. When I was trying to complete my Cheap Trick discography a few months back, I found a used copy of Woke Up With A Monster for about $1 and found out afterward that it was out of print. Kind of wish I bought Spock's Beard's s/t when I had the chance.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:33 AM »
Luckily I've been able to find many things used. When I was trying to complete my Cheap Trick discography a few months back, I found a used copy of Woke Up With A Monster for about $1 and found out afterward that it was out of print. Kind of wish I bought Spock's Beard's s/t when I had the chance.

Yeah SB9 was by far the hardest to fine. I just lucked across it on a used site I'd been checking for weeks.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Thing is, I remember seeing it at the local record store used when I was perusing the prog section, but that was in 2009 right before I got into the band. By 2010 that thing had sold.

The same thing happened with Boston's Corporate America. Saw it used for $2, passed on it assuming it was common, and when I came back it was never to be seen again. It's currently $72 on Amazon. Fuck me.

And while I'm not sure this counts as out of print, another cool thing I'll find out about some of the used things I buy (after I buy them) is that they're radio-promo copies, and somewhere on the package it will say "not for resale". I always find that cool.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
And while I'm not sure this counts as out of print, another cool thing I'll find out about some of the used things I buy (after I buy them) is that they're radio-promo copies, and somewhere on the package it will say "not for resale". I always find that cool.

I always find that irritating, because that means the artist didn't make any money on the sale. So whoever got the promo got it free, then assumingly sold it at a used store. I find that whole idea deplorable.

I've sent CD's back that have been hole punched bar codes or promo stamped. The artist isn't getting money from the used sale and the fact they didn't get money from the original 'promo' disc just makes it worse to me.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »
True. The implication sucked but I never see it on the package/disc until after I purchase it. Better with me who will listen to it than rotting away on the shelf for eternity, at least. I always just find it cool that I own something like that.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 06:31:21 PM »
Styx's first four albums are only sold as a compilation. You can still find them on vinyl too, but the CDs are really rare.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2014, 01:50:25 PM »
FML. I had a lead on Rewiring Genesis but he sold his last copy a couple days ago.

:facepalm:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »
Apparently in Germany you get the Spock's Beard cds without problem. On amazon.com are also some left. Rewiring Genesis seems to be a different matter.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2014, 02:13:01 PM »
hmm, I've got a copy of Rewiring Genesis and I'm pretty sure I never took the plastic wrap off. 

Unfortunately, it's somewhere in my attic, buried among all the other junk that people put in their attics.  It's probably on the bottom, too  :lol

I'm surprised that's OOP, it was pretty popular when it came out.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 02:23:56 PM »
hmm, I've got a copy of Rewiring Genesis and I'm pretty sure I never took the plastic wrap off. 

Oh oh go find it and sell it to me?   :hefdaddy

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »
I will be going through the attic to clean it out and get rid of a lot of crap we have up there in the fall, when it's cooler up there.  If I find it up there, you can have it.   :)

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 04:01:57 PM »
I will be going through the attic to clean it out and get rid of a lot of crap we have up there in the fall, when it's cooler up there.  If I find it up there, you can have it.   :)

Hawwwwt.  Now I just have to wait.   :chill

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 08:11:54 PM »
The Reign of Kindo - The Reign of Kindo [EP]

I know I'm not alone in the hope the band represses copies of this soon.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 08:51:46 PM »
Big Big Train - Bard

The band, or someone in it, has had some issues with this album, and so it's their only studio album that hasn't had a decent re-release.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 11:08:07 AM »
I've been listening to all the albums of this list (https://noisefull.com/articles/absolute-guide-progressive-metal) and some of them are really hard to even find info somewhere. In some cases I've had to get them by... another ways. And that's awful because the artist doesn't earn anything.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:32 PM »
Thing is, I remember seeing it at the local record store used when I was perusing the prog section, but that was in 2009 right before I got into the band. By 2010 that thing had sold.

The same thing happened with Boston's Corporate America. Saw it used for $2, passed on it assuming it was common, and when I came back it was never to be seen again. It's currently $72 on Amazon. Fuck me.

Really?  I have Corporate America on my shelf and if anyone offered me $50 for it I wouldn't even think of listening to it one last time like I usually do to make sure I'm not regretting the decision.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 06:50:50 PM »

I always find that irritating, because that means the artist didn't make any money on the sale. So whoever got the promo got it free, then assumingly sold it at a used store. I find that whole idea deplorable.

I've sent CD's back that have been hole punched bar codes or promo stamped. The artist isn't getting money from the used sale and the fact they didn't get money from the original 'promo' disc just makes it worse to me.

Where do you send them?

I usually find mine in used record stores these days. While it's true the artist doesn't make money on the sale, the person that gets the CD might buy more CDs if they like it or even go to a show so the artist benefits indirectly from that.

There are far worse things that the artist gets screwed over than that.

This doesn't really apply to the artist, but there's even a collector market for these as some promo have unreleased music on them or some other unique characteristics that some fans like.

In my case I'd rather the say promo on them rather than having marks on the barcode because I know that's what the CD was supposed to be used for and maybe it was at one time. (Although there is no real way to tell.)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 07:07:54 PM »
Speaking of out of print CDs, I just bought the re-release of Winter Rose. Wish it was the original, but the re-release is just as rare these days.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 06:36:26 PM »
I guess I'm confused as to why buying a promo copy used is a terrible thing (especially vs. another used copy since neither benefits the artist). Correct me if I'm wrong but promo copies are often given to radio stations and the press and stuff like that to get exposure. Obviously there's no money made on the initial distribution of them, but the goal is to get sales based on this (radio plays it, magazine writes a review, whatever).
Someone might be getting rid of one of these CDs because they simply don't like or want it anymore (like any CD), a radio station is making room for more stuff, it's no longer needed for promo purposes, etc. What is the other option? Just throw it in the trash where nobody will ever listen to it? I don't see why keeping a piece of music in circulation is bad.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 08:01:46 PM »
I guess I'm confused as to why buying a promo copy used is a terrible thing (especially vs. another used copy since neither benefits the artist). Correct me if I'm wrong but promo copies are often given to radio stations and the press and stuff like that to get exposure. Obviously there's no money made on the initial distribution of them, but the goal is to get sales based on this (radio plays it, magazine writes a review, whatever).
Someone might be getting rid of one of these CDs because they simply don't like or want it anymore (like any CD), a radio station is making room for more stuff, it's no longer needed for promo purposes, etc. What is the other option? Just throw it in the trash where nobody will ever listen to it? I don't see why keeping a piece of music in circulation is bad.

It's a gray fuzzy line.   Technically (though "never" in practice) all promo copies are stamped very clearly that the record company is maintaining ownership of the CD and simply letting you "borrow" it.    A CD you own, but a promo continues to be the property of the record company.

Essentially (and again, see the disclaimer above) it is the same thing as borrowing your neighbors hedge trimmers, waiting several years until he has completely forgotten about them, and then selling it at a garage sale.    Not very ethical.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 11:20:29 PM »
I see what you're saying, though I'm not sure I'm on board with that analogy :p
So are people supposed to send it back to the record company? Would that benefit anybody?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 11:41:16 PM »
I think what jammin is trying to say is that I now own hedge trimmers.  :yarr

Online The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 12:45:40 AM »
I think the main issue is going if someone is making money selling a promo disc that was given to them for free from the record company, either for playing on the radio or for reviewing. Record companies just see that as a loss of revenue, so it is typically frowned upon.

- Marc.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 06:19:36 AM »
LOL

All that really needs to be understood, is that LEGALLY, even if you paid $2000 bucks for it, the record company has the right to reclaim it whenever they wish.

We all know that in practice that will never happen. But on paper, it's possible.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2014, 06:51:23 AM »
I'm with Jackie, none of that makes any sense to me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2014, 08:34:59 AM »
Right, I understand that technically it's still their property, but don't really see selling it as unethical when it would otherwise rot on a shelf or in a box somewhere (like the highly coveted CD in kirk's attic :lol)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2014, 11:21:30 AM »
Another issue with selling Promo Copies happened with me back in 2006. I bought a copy of The Flower Kings' then-new album Paradox Hotel through Amazon and got a jewel case version with both discs but the insert was a plain single sheet folded in half with the artwork on the front and tour dates on the back. This was obviously a promo copy, which was neat, but I didn't get the full booklet with lyrics. It wasn't until years later that I tracked down the European dogipak version with the booklet and all.

I also ordered DT's OIALT from Amazon waaaaay back over a decade ago and got a promo copy with a broken case, and the front of the insert had been gold-stamped indicating it was a promo copy and was NOT to be resold. Again, I didn't get a replacement until years later for my collection.

If people circulate promo copies like that, there's always the chance that a buyer won't get what he wants.

- Marc.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »
I thought the gold stamps were collectibles.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
TLM, I totally agree with that. I'm surprised you were sold a promo copy without the seller mentioning that- that's pretty lame. People often include that in the listing, at least from my experience. It's dumb not to, because there's a good chance someone will want to send it back.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2014, 08:40:29 PM »
There is a downside. One of the radio promo albums I have is Morning Parade's self-titled debut album. (I didn't know it was a promo copy until after I bought it.) The last track of the album? Not on the promo copy. On any retail version, you'll find that final song, but mine only goes up to the second last track. It's not listed on the back of the case or anything. I had to get it off of iTunes. So there is that.

I assume they finalized the retail track listing some time after releasing this to stations. That or that final track was added depending on what region it was released in? I don't know.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2014, 09:04:08 PM »
Btw...I just want to be clear that my information was simply a statement of fact...not judgment.

I have tons of those things. Though I don't think I paid for any of them.

I ran the Music Market at a Fred Meyer store for a few years. I always remember that loss prevention had a real problem with it because they couldn't figure out if it violated the no perks policy. Technically, the promo CD'S have no cash value either....so they couldn't say that I was receiving anything of cash value.  (which is the way the rule was written) They would get super pissed, because they really felt strongly that there SHOULD be something wrong with it. Add to that that I had a good reputation for promoting the material,  so the reps gave me more promos than anyone else in the company.

It was a serious source of contention for my entire tenure.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
Awesome.