Author Topic: Great tour show - Really minor complaint  (Read 12013 times)

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

Re: Great tour show - Really minor complaint
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 09:28:37 AM »
I actually think it would be really interesting to hear what MM hears during a DT show... In fact that would be a cool bonus thing to release to the fans "MM's Guide Tracks" for the current DT tour. It would interesting to hear how much of the song is in there along with the metronome, how much vocal cues are included and for that matter what the vocal cues do (count in different sections, remind him of tough sections coming up, actually count through entire odd-meter sections, etc...)

Maybe a lot of fans wouldn't even understand what that would be, but a small group of fans would really enjoy that, especially drummers, I'm sure. Just a random thought,  :lol
That's a great idea. I'd definately pay good money for that. It would interesting, and for sure helpful to play along to. I'd especially love to have all the stems for the songs, but that's a whole different story.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
What I don't understand is, playing to a click track isn't an all or nothing thing. Take for example Finally Free; there is no reason why the click couldn't just stop at the end section, and the band simply listens to MM's playing. The video at that point is rather irrelevant, so no sync is needed.
As far as I've been able to discern, the only free section is MM's drum solo.

In principle, I tend to agree with you.  Especially since that song is all the way at the end of the set anyway.  It seems like it would be a simple thing to transition out of the structured click and go freeform.  But then again, while this seems like common sense, I also must admit that I have no clue about how the hardware and software they are using integrates with the entire audio/visual stage setup, and have no idea what it actually takes to operate such a system on the scale that it takes for their live show, so I concede that there may be very good reasons why it might not be practical, and that I am completely clueless about those reasons.

Nah, there's really no technological reason. A click track is technologically nothing else than a multi-track machine that you hit "Play" on to start the song. After that it just runs until the end of the song. So, if you don't want a click at the end, you do little more than select & cut in the program and delete the clicks at the end.
My best guess is, they simply didn't think people would care about this specific section to be free-form.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
Nah, there's really no technological reason. A click track is technologically nothing else than a multi-track machine that you hit "Play" on to start the song. After that it just runs until the end of the song. So, if you don't want a click at the end, you do little more than select & cut in the program and delete the clicks at the end.

Well, yes, in terms of a basic click.  But what I am saying is that they are using more than a basic click.  What we are referring to as the "click track" is integrated with the lighting, video, and sound hardware and software, along with who knows what else.  Neither you nor I have any clue about how that all works and fits together.  There could very well be aspects about it that we just aren't aware of, so I am not willing to be dogmatic about how "easy" it is to just shut it off at the end of a show, despite how simple it might seem to an outsider like me.  However...

My best guess is, they simply didn't think people would care about this specific section to be free-form.

You could be 100% correct.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 10:22:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure the drum solo is played to a click. It's been pretty much the same all tour, as evidenced by the fact that the multi-cam rig had some sync issues from being from different shows.

Been meaning to come back to this, but forgot.
Interestingly, the drum solo isn't to click, or at least not all of it. I actually did the experiment a while ago where I would line up two YouTube videos to be in sync. This works perfectly for all the songs (I.e. they never deviate), but doesn't work for the drum solo.
My best guess is, given how the drum solo goes straight into the rest of EM right after, MM might restart the click track somewhere in the middle of the solo. Would be interesting to identity actually; maybe when he also triggers the bell sounds?

EDIT: Yeah, I would guess somewhere around there. For the polyrhythmic stuff he's probably back on the click.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:35:57 PM by rumborak »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 10:45:33 PM »
Huh. Could also be Eric running the click.

I've always wondered how they went back on mistakes, like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcYvKaY_0AM .
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 09:25:41 AM »
I didn't know such a site existed. That's pretty cool. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 09:34:39 AM »

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 02:52:33 AM »
For me, anyway, the problem with the way they do it now isn't the lack of rotating set lists, but simply no room for derivation AT ALL.  No extended solo sections, no impromptu jams, nothing whatsoever to make any one show different from any other.
Yes, but that's why they're not fucking up as much (or at all really) as they used to. That AND now MP isn't there to play the songs 1.5 times faster than they were originally recorded - that's definitely helping the guys play as tight and as flawlessly as possible too.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 05:33:42 AM »
They never really fucked up very much anyway, so I am not sure what that matters. Also, I agree that MP used to play too fast on occasion, but I don't think that would be a problem with MM.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2014, 06:04:02 AM »
Yeah they were hardly a band who made loads of mistakes. And even on the rare occasion they did mess up, that just adds some uniqueness to that particular show, and they always seemed to respond well with humour in those circumstances.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2014, 07:59:16 AM »
Click sucks.

Nobody goes to a DT concert to see the lights and video performance. It´s all about the music and see those 5 super musicians play. And having a clip that trigger playback sections makes it feels canned. I hate that.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »
I think the videos give the show a nice extra dimension - watching them play for 3 hours with just a backdrop wouldn't be as exciting.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 11, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
When I saw them in February the videos were some of the highlights of the show. Great visuals that really complemented the performance of the band.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #49 on: July 11, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »
I didn't even look at the videos this time.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2014, 11:35:34 AM »
It'd be redundant to have a drum solo at the end of Finally Free when they have one in Enigma Machine.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2014, 11:38:29 AM »
It'd be redundant to have a drum solo at the end of Finally Free when they have one in Enigma Machine.

It's not really a drum solo in the same sense though, it's more a section where the drums take a lead role in the arrangement. If it were two unaccompanied drum solos, I'd see the point, but I don't consider it a redundancy in this case.
And I'd rather them ditch the one in EM, if that mattered.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2014, 12:22:03 PM »
This last Rush Tour, Neil split up his drum solo into 3 spots.  They were short, concise, and felt fresh so I don't have a problem with it at all.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #53 on: July 11, 2014, 01:09:10 PM »
I actually preferred MM's solo in EM to the song itself :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #54 on: July 11, 2014, 01:17:29 PM »

Yeah, me too.
I actually prefer Raw Dog to Enigma Machine.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »

Yeah, me too.
I actually prefer Raw Dog to Enigma Machine.

That's supposed to be in green text, right?
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2014, 01:43:39 PM »
Nope. I'm serious. I like Raw Dog. I don't get the dislike for it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2014, 02:04:29 PM »
For me, anyway, the problem with the way they do it now isn't the lack of rotating set lists, but simply no room for derivation AT ALL.  No extended solo sections, no impromptu jams, nothing whatsoever to make any one show different from any other.
Yes, but that's why they're not fucking up as much (or at all really) as they used to. That AND now MP isn't there to play the songs 1.5 times faster than they were originally recorded - that's definitely helping the guys play as tight and as flawlessly as possible too.
Will you knock it off with unnecessary blaming MP for everything you find wrong? Good grief. Sure MP may have played the songs a little faster, but never anything enough to screw them up. And quite frankly, I think playing the songs at a slightly faster pace can do wonders for the liveliness of the show. Two examples that come to mind are Maiden's Live After Death and Rush's Grace Under Pressure Tour live albums, which happen to be two of my favorite live recordings. The songs have so much more energy in them because they are played at a slightly faster rate. The one sole exception I've found would be the live version of Disappear on L@B which was played too fast for a song dripping with that emotion - incidentally, JR was the one who set the pace for that song, not MP.

Playing them at the same exact pace as the studio recordings makes the songs come off uninspired and mechanical, which is the one thing that I noticed when I saw them on this last tour. Not to say that the show in itself wasn't great or that they didn't put on good performances, but there was something missing in terms of excitement, and I attribute it to them playing at the rate as on the album.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »
 ???

Playing the songs as they were written is unexciting? ???

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2014, 02:09:07 PM »
Dangit Tim - how DARE you go against the grain!!!! Where's that controversial thread...?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2014, 02:11:13 PM »
???

In short, I'd say to some degree, yes. Playing the songs slightly faster gives them more energy than they had. Tell you what - go back and compare The Spirit of Radio from the Grace Under Pressure Tour video to the studio version and tell me the live version doesn't come off as more exciting? Or Revelations from the Live After Death video as compared to the studio version. If you agree, I attribute that not just to the live setting, but to the songs being performed slightly faster. Again, it's one reason why I'm certain those two live albums are my favorites in terms of energy.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
???

Actually, yes. Some songs on LALP are downright plodding because they are played at CD speed. There is a reason why just about any band on this planet plays their songs faster live than what's on the album. It's the energy of the live setting that then gets reflected in the rendition of the song.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Scotty!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2014, 02:14:41 PM »
???

Actually, yes. Some songs on LALP are downright plodding because they are played at CD speed. There is a reason why just about any band on this planet plays their songs faster live than what's on the album. It's the energy of the live setting that then gets reflected in the rendition of the song.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Scotty!
Thank you rumbo!  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: July 11, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
Okay, but DT usually already plays enough speedy songs and sections that speeding up even more stuff is not necessary for their shows to be exciting.  I am not saying I am opposed to them doing it...not at all.  I am just saying, given that their shows are already pretty high energy, I don't see the issue here.

Personally, I'd be fine with them ditching the extended solo sections in songs that are already long.  Trial of Tears from the this year is a good example.  The song is already over 13 minutes, with three solo sections (opening guitar solo, and then the guitar and keys solos in the middle), and making one of those solo sections five minutes longer was kind of a snoozer for me; I couldn't wait for them to end it so we could get to the meat of the song.  Granted, given the nature of that intro, with the floating keys and percussion stuff, it begs to be extended live, and I get why they do it, but I am just saying, as a fan, I don't find that stuff that interesting to watch live. 

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #64 on: July 11, 2014, 02:39:54 PM »
???

The "Happy Holidays" release suffers quite a bit from this too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2014, 02:41:08 PM »
I'm glad LALP was brought up here. I LOVE listening to Live Albums, but LALP is the one I have the most trouble with. It actually doesn't "sound" live.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2014, 02:42:05 PM »
I don't think the Boston gig DVD will be any different. All songs were played to click there too.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: July 11, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
I don't think the Boston gig DVD will be any different. All songs were played to click there too.

Well, the mix might help it a little. Who knows? You are probably right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #68 on: July 11, 2014, 03:01:32 PM »
Dangit Tim - how DARE you go against the grain!!!! Where's that controversial thread...?

Yeah, right. I think I said it all the time. How can Enigma Machine catch all this praise when Raw Dog catches the shit. It's like OMG they put an instrumental on an album. Really? If that's their idea of an instrumental, just write lyrics over it. It's not like EM sucks. I do enjoy it, but I thing Raw Dog gets a Raw Deal. :biggrin:

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #69 on: July 11, 2014, 03:05:58 PM »
Okay, but DT usually already plays enough speedy songs and sections that speeding up even more stuff is not necessary for their shows to be exciting.  I am not saying I am opposed to them doing it...not at all.  I am just saying, given that their shows are already pretty high energy, I don't see the issue here.
Playing songs that originally have a faster tempo is not the same thing as playing songs at a slightly faster speed than they were originally recorded. And yes there is an issue, or else you wouldn't see people making comments about the performances coming off sterile, even tho perfect, or comments about how some songs on LALP are plodding. Nobody is asking them to play the songs 1.5 times faster or even just as fast as they played Metropolis at the Boston show in 2003 (to allow enough time for an encore without going past curfew), but just slightly faster can make the difference.

BTW, I'm still curious as to your thoughts on the live performances vs. the studio originals of those two songs - what do you think?