Author Topic: Anthony Cumia fired. Another blow to freedom of speech.  (Read 3194 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Anthony Cumia fired. Another blow to freedom of speech.
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 07:25:24 AM »

There are people saying way more offensive things who are being let off the hook (and even worshiped for their progressivity) all the time, though. So it's not like the "PC police" or however people call it is almighty. And while people do get offended for very stupid reasons, I think we should give the members of actual oppressed minorities the benefit of the doubt when they say something's very offensive.

Okay, but nowadays, even saying something complimentary is apparently offensive.  A gal I used to work with was going on and on last week about how telling a black person that they are well spoken is racist, and I thought, "Good God, now compliments are even being construed as insults?" :facepalm:  Her point was that it was a thinly-veiled insult, meaning the person meant, "I am not used to black people being well spoken," and I am sure there is a minority of knuckleheads out there who mean it that way, but to leap to that conclusion every single time is just stupid and indicative of how people are just looking to be offended nowadays. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Tordenperle krall. Literally.
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2014, 11:14:17 AM »
There was nothing racist about what he said.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 02:35:25 PM »
If he'd have just stuck to his comments specific to her, it might have raised eyebrows, but he'd probably still be employed.  However, when he started making associated generalizations, his comments that had originally looked to be specific to her seem to take on a much larger scope...and would look to be indicative about his feelings regarding blacks as a whole.

And yeah, there may have actually be a point there near the end regarding the community issues, but everything that precedes it is, uhh, perhaps not the best lead-in for a constructive dialogue?

Just to be clear, I think what he said was clearly racist upon seeing it in whole.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 03:48:58 PM »
Just to be clear, I think what he said was clearly racist upon seeing it in whole.
Yeah, if you go tweet by tweet and analyze each one, then most are pretty ambiguous and there are only one or two that are troubling. Looking at all of them it's pretty easy to see where he was going and hard to ignore.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
Can someone link to the exact tweets please?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
Scroll back one page, and the link is there.

It's hard to argue that that string is not racist.

I'm the very first guy to say that we are FAR too sensitive, and had he just identified her as "the black woman" (to differentiate from another woman) I'd be more willing to give a pass.   But presumably we all know who Anthony Cumia is, so why is his color even relevant? 

And even if he wasn't being "racist" (and he was) its no save, because then it means he was a mysogynist.   After about three tweets, he continually referred to her as "it".    If I'm black and you are referring to me as "black", well, that's hard to argue, because I am.   But if I'm a woman and you're referring to me as "it", there's a lot to take issue with.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2014, 04:42:24 PM »
I had to look this guy up. I had no idea who he was.

After about three tweets, he continually referred to her as "it".    If I'm black and you are referring to me as "black", well, that's hard to argue, because I am.   But if I'm a woman and you're referring to me as "it", there's a lot to take issue with.

What's to take issue with? Some asshole calls me "it" I don't get all pissed off about it. He's an asshole, what do I care what he thinks or says about me?

"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2014, 04:52:39 PM »
The "it" definitely referred to her race, rather than her gender. Still, there was plenty of gender-specific insulting going on there, although I wouldn't consider that necessarily indicative of misogyny, honestly. We tend to call offensive women bitches and their offensive male counterparts dicks. Those are mostly gender-specific but certainly don't denote misogyny or misandry.

What's to take issue with? Some asshole calls me "it" I don't get all pissed off about it. He's an asshole, what do I care what he thinks or says about me?
That's the point some of us are making. People are too prone to getting butthurt at the slightest amount of offense. There's becoming a sense that people have the right to never be offended, and that's troubling.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:45:48 PM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2014, 07:37:54 PM »

There are people saying way more offensive things who are being let off the hook (and even worshiped for their progressivity) all the time, though. So it's not like the "PC police" or however people call it is almighty. And while people do get offended for very stupid reasons, I think we should give the members of actual oppressed minorities the benefit of the doubt when they say something's very offensive.

Okay, but nowadays, even saying something complimentary is apparently offensive.  A gal I used to work with was going on and on last week about how telling a black person that they are well spoken is racist, and I thought, "Good God, now compliments are even being construed as insults?" :facepalm:  Her point was that it was a thinly-veiled insult, meaning the person meant, "I am not used to black people being well spoken," and I am sure there is a minority of knuckleheads out there who mean it that way, but to leap to that conclusion every single time is just stupid and indicative of how people are just looking to be offended nowadays.

I think the phrase is "the subtle racism of lowered expectations".
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2014, 05:04:59 PM »
After doing some googling (because the OP link didn't tell me shit) I've come to the conclusion that the only offensive thing about that guy was how hard he was trying to be shocking with his tweets. This guy is in his 50s and talking like a middle schooler with his language.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2014, 10:27:17 AM »
The "it" definitely referred to her race, rather than her gender. Still, there was plenty of gender-specific insulting going on there, although I wouldn't consider that necessarily indicative of misogyny, honestly. We tend to call offensive women bitches and their offensive male counterparts dicks. Those are mostly gender-specific but certainly don't denote misogyny or misandry.

That's the point some of us are making. People are too prone to getting butthurt at the slightest amount of offense. There's becoming a sense that people have the right to never be offended, and that's troubling.

C'mon, EB.  I get that others don't know me from a row of assholes but you do, and you know me to be extremely contrarian when it comes to being offended.   I think 99.6% of the time people get "offended" they are just being big f-ing babies.  And I could not possibly agree with you any more than I already do on that last sentence.  There is absolutely no right under any government or constitution anywhere that says "you have the right to never be offended!". 

But there is no context in which referring to another human being as an "it" - whether it is because of race or gender or anything else - is not at least purposefully inflammatory if not down right offensive.   That's just the offendor saying "I refuse to accept you are even HUMAN.".   From that position there is nowhere to go but down.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »

C'mon, EB.  I get that others don't know me from a row of assholes but you do, and you know me to be extremely contrarian when it comes to being offended.   I think 99.6% of the time people get "offended" they are just being big f-ing babies.  And I could not possibly agree with you any more than I already do on that last sentence.  There is absolutely no right under any government or constitution anywhere that says "you have the right to never be offended!". 

But there is no context in which referring to another human being as an "it" - whether it is because of race or gender or anything else - is not at least purposefully inflammatory if not down right offensive.   That's just the offendor saying "I refuse to accept you are even HUMAN.".   From that position there is nowhere to go but down.
Um, I honestly have no idea what about my two posts there troubles you? We're pretty much lockstep with regards to the overall issue, and I would certainly consider the "it" part to be offensive. Where's the disconnect?
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• Do a nice one for grandma
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 11:27:00 AM »
People are too sensitive nowadays, anything offends them.

I'm glad I'm a person whom does not get easily offended, if I do I don't care because I know me and anything they say doesn't affect my understanding of whom I am. So what if I'm this or that? If you love me you'll accept me for me.

But, the NAACP is a really messed up organization, sometimes the things they do only hurts the people they're trying to protect.

Also, yes we have freedom,  but just because you can doesnt mean you should. In other words, its best to shut up and be quiet then to speak loudly and screaming.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

I Love You...Poppin Fresh

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 01:18:29 PM »

Um, I honestly have no idea what about my two posts there troubles you? We're pretty much lockstep with regards to the overall issue, and I would certainly consider the "it" part to be offensive. Where's the disconnect?

I must've misunderstood; I thought the last part was agreeing with Cool Chris, who I took to be saying that it was okay that he used "it", and that she should just get over it.  If I'm wrong, my bad.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 02:13:09 PM »
I think Chris was suggesting that the "it" made him an asshole (which obviously suggests it's offensive), but that the world's full of assholes and people shouldn't get so riled up about them. In that I think all three of us are in agreement. I guess you could say that remark merits inclusion in the .4% and punch in the face. So be it; the courts would probably agree. However, I don't think he called her "it" to her face, so we're really only talking about people who aren't actually involved. That's really the point here. Everybody who, for whatever reasons, wants to be outraged about something that has little if anything to do about them, taking to the point of chilling somebody's right to be that asshole.
E.F. Benson

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 07:22:22 PM »
Now yes I know the 1st Amendment prevents the government from shutting up freedom of speech, but I think we need an amendment adding it so that employers can't fire someone for speech unless it raises to the level of intentional infliction of emotional distress.

Oh, come on.  The first amendment has never, ever, ever, ever, EVER given you a guarantee that you can say whatever you want without repercussions.  That's just not how it works, and that's not how it should work.  Anthony Cumia is a celebrity and is in many ways a de facto "representative" of Sirius.  He shouldn't be going on racially-charged tirades if he expects the company to continue supporting him.  That's not a blow to your freedom of speech, that's just how business works.

This is similar to the Mozilla thing.  Brendan Eich created a terrible programming language and donated to prop 8 and as a result there was public backlash to his appointment as Mozilla's CEO.  People made themselves heard on forums and pledged to switch over to Chrome until he resigned, and a couple weeks later he did.  These are particularly poignant examples of how the free market can work to enact social change.  If the guy at shop A is a dick, tell your friends to shop at B for a while, and eventually A will realize he's losing money and get his act together.  Usually the people who spoke out against the Mozilla situation were conservative ("if liberals are so tolerant why can't they be tolerant of Brendan Eich's beliefs?" etc.) but as far as I'm concerned, conservatives should be embracing Sirius and Mozilla for demonstrating that capitalism works.  Sometimes, anyway.

Freedom of speech exists mostly to stop the government for arresting you for your beliefs, e.g. Obama can't throw you into prison if you post negatively about the ACA on Facebook.  The first amendment doesn't give you the ability to be a jerk without anything bad happening to you.