Author Topic: What's your take on this?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
What's your take on this?
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:28:21 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-dJgFdfl3I

This truck driver is pulled over for "unlawful use of horn". The truck driver then says he was using his horn to get the police officer's attention, who was speeding and using his phone. Basically, this officer seems to have the mindset that he is above the law, and since he's a cop, he can do whatever he wants. Thoughts? I'm personally glad the truck driver pointed this out, many people would have just kept their mouth shut. Then again, not all cops have the patience this guy did.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: What's your take on this?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:42:17 AM »
Pretty ballsy. I've recorded officer in town being assholes and emailing it to the police chief. That's about it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2014, 11:45:43 AM »
Can't hear the audio at work, but it sounds from the comments likely Johnny handled it alright. Everybody knows how I feel about cops, but while things are getting worse on one side, they're getting better on another. People who are confronting cops and filming it are forcing them all to be more wary about their actions; they can no longer feel like they're the sole dictator of truth. The other thing is that society is increasingly starting to realize that cops are not the good guys. Minorities have known this all along since they're so often exposed to it, but now that middle class white America gets to see a lot of the bullshit on youtube the facade of being there to protect us is finally going away. We're still along way from actually having an honest police force, but any improvement is good when we've been sliding away from that for so long.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
WOW!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »
While it's easy to argue that he was right, I still found the driver's self-righteous and overzealous attitude annoying enough that I was disappointed the cop didn't fine him to wipe that smug smirk off his face. Just the idea of someone honking at people for speeding (cop or otherwise) makes me cringe in disgust.

Reminded me of this video, only this one is way more satisfying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7U5eJN3hLI

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »
Abuse of power.  What else is new?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2014, 07:05:41 PM »
Power corrupts. Nothing really new about that, or a cop on a power trip. I just go about my business.

And even if I dedicated every moment of the rest of my life making sure that all cops be honest on some damn fool idealistic crusade, the very second I died, a new dishonest cop would be born that very day. There is no stopping human nature.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:15:11 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 08:15:46 PM »
That was a damned professional cop. And the driver was a dick. What gets me is that Johnny clearly looked like he was wanting a "alright, thanks," for not citing him, which I probably would have offered up and is a huge deal for a trucker. When the guy kept being a dick I bet he was probably pretty pissed off he didn't write him. Notice that he said "enjoy that violation free MCS inspection," bit his lip and slammed the door.

And I'll also throw out that since he was driving a big ass truck he probably fired off the air horn, and a lot of cops will write you for that. At first I thought it was a normal car horn, but the trucker horn makes a world of difference.

Lastly, cops are usually exempted from the cellphone law.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:36:28 AM »
That was a damned professional cop. And the driver was a dick. What gets me is that Johnny clearly looked like he was wanting a "alright, thanks," for not citing him, which I probably would have offered up and is a huge deal for a trucker. When the guy kept being a dick I bet he was probably pretty pissed off he didn't write him. Notice that he said "enjoy that violation free MCS inspection," bit his lip and slammed the door.

This.  That officer could have easily found one thing to write him up for on an inspection... the list that constitutes a proper pre-trip inspection for truck drivers has easily a hundred points.  That driver should be counting his lucky stars.  The other thing is that the driver also put the video up on YT.  Smacks of ungratefulness and arrogance.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 01:31:39 AM »
Ungrateful that the cop wasn't vengeful and petty enough to go past the point of trying to intimidate via making an unwarranted inspection in the first place? Unless I'm missing something, the only reason the inspection occurred was because of the cop being pissed at the guy for honking.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 07:56:34 AM »
In a cash strapped state like IL, DOT cops are notorious for finding petty things to ticket for, just for the revenue.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:48 PM »
That trucker was a dick.