Author Topic: Rise Against (Band)  (Read 1686 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Rise Against (Band)
« on: June 29, 2014, 09:56:50 PM »
Any other fans of Rise Against? I've been in love with this band since SSotCC and there is a new one coming out shortly. The first single took me a bit by surprise with the main lyric; but after reading an interview with Tim, it didn't seem as bad lol.

(I searched for another thread and didn't find one, let me know if there already is one!)

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: Rise Against (Band)
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:58:48 PM »
Love Rise Against, although Endgame is the only album I own. I haven't heard the new single, but I'll definitely check out the album when it comes out.

Offline adace

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 10:57:54 PM »
Awesome band. Appeal to Reason is my favorite from them but all their albums are great. Can't wait for the new album!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:38:51 PM »
I only heard them a few times thanks to the WWE plugging their songs in their video games and the Royal Rumble 2007.  Eventually, I heard The Sufferer & the Witness album and liked it a good amount.  Hadn't listen to them since then.  Heard the 1st single from the new album.  I dig it.  What else should I listen to in the meanwhile?

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:45:02 AM »
I really like Endgame, and bought all the other albums from there. It can be a bit samey at times, but it's really catchy stuff all the same.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
The Unraveling (2001) - Rough and gritty sounding
Revolutions per Minute (2003) - Amazing, has some of my favorite songs on it. Still a bit more rough and gritty than the current stuff
Siren Song of the Counter Culture (2004) - Also amazing
The Sufferer & the Witness (2006) - a bit of a different direction I think starting from here, but some quality tracks
Appeal to Reason (2008) - This one didn't hit as hard for me. There are a few songs that I love.
Endgame (2011) - Same with this one - a few songs are great, but overall it didn't grab me
The Black Market (2014) - we will see

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:37:42 PM »
If anyone is interested - the new album (The Black Market) is available for free streaming on iTunes First Play today!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
I took a listen to it.  So far so good.  They don't do anything out of the ordinary, but if you like their style, then this album is solid.  Here's a list of songs that I'm saving to the playlist once it's on Spotify (I Don't Want to Be Here Anymore, Tragedy + Time, The Black Market, Sudden Life, A Beautiful Indifference, Methadone)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 12:11:56 PM »
Sorry to revive this, but I've been a casual Rise Against fan for ages now, and relistening to all the popular stuff after years I'm pretty interested in more of the good stuff. I never listened to an entire album of theirs apart from Appeal to Reason (which I barely remember anything of to begin with).

Where do I start? Favorite songs among others are Prayer of the Refugee, Re-education, Savior, Satellite, Make It Stop (September's Children) and I Don't Want To Be Here Anymore.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »
Endgame's my favorite, so that's the suggestion I'll throw out.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:33:25 PM »
Seconding Endgame.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
100% for The Sufferer and the Witness!! That album has so many incredible tunes, try the tunes 'Injection', 'Ready to Fall' and 'Under the Knife'. You really won't be disappointed, incredibly catchy from start to finish and easily their best. I'd personally go for Siren Song of the Counter Culture after that  :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
Oh man, how could I forget about Ready to Fall! Amazing song, pre-chorus and chorus are some of the best.

I'll start with Endgame probably.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 01:55:52 PM »
Oh man, how could I forget about Ready to Fall! Amazing song, pre-chorus and chorus are some of the best.

I'll start with Endgame probably.

But I would recommend some older stuff afterwards, but Endgame still is a good point to start. Try The Sufferer & The Witness or Revolutions Per Minute next, both are a total blast.
I saw them two times in concert now and they`re completely mind-blowing imo

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 01:59:04 PM »
I know for me personally the first album I hear by a band and I really dig it usually ends up as my favourite (as is the case with TSatW). I just wasn't that bowled over by Endgame, it was just kind of ok in my opinion. Still a very enjoyable album though.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 02:03:42 PM »
Yeah Endgame also isn`t my favourite, but basically my first RA album was Appeal to Reason, and now my favourites are TSatW along with RPM, because I actually love the more atmospheric (alright, "atmospheric" is the wrong word here, let`s say "less heavier") attempt of TSatW, but I also dig these shouting passages in RPM which are imo a bit worse in TSatW (except for Injection which might one of my favourite songs of all time).

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »
(except for Injection which might one of my favourite songs of all time).

Completely agree with this, Injection is just incredible, revisiting the album now for old times sake. I have been listening to this song for about 8 years, it's always been on my playlist of favourite songs to pump me up before I go out, I just love it and really don't tire of it. Great song to sing your lungs out to  :metal

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2017, 10:36:47 PM »
Bumping this thread.

So I've been dabbling a bit of Rise Against here and there and I stated I really liked The Sufferer & the Witness, but as time goes by, I'm really digging the Appeal to Reason album more.

Now they got another album out now called Wolves.  I'm sure they got a lot to say with the way the world is nowadays.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2017, 01:08:57 PM »
I'm a casual fan and only know of them because I went to high school with Tim McIlrath.  It's awesome to see him be so successful in the music industry - he played in a few punk bands back then. 

Make it Stop was actually filmed at and around our high school in the Chicago suburbs:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP4clbHc4Xg

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2017, 09:25:06 AM »
Just read that their current set list is less than an hour - that is really disappointing. Listed to the new album and only two songs really stuck a chord with me. I'll definitely give it most listens, but it seems so happy/positive - I don't have the same emotional connection like I have with previous albums.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2017, 12:38:33 PM »
Just read that their current set list is less than an hour - that is really disappointing. Listed to the new album and only two songs really stuck a chord with me. I'll definitely give it most listens, but it seems so happy/positive - I don't have the same emotional connection like I have with previous albums.

It kinda makes sense given that they are playing before Deftones in their latest shows.

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
I love Endgame but The Black Market never really struck a chord with me. I'll still give this one a spin or two though.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 07:23:19 AM »
Bump!

One of their songs came on the radio yesterday as I was driving. Pleasantly surprised, very enjoyable. Even more surprised that it was a new song, and that they have a new album coming out June 4th.

I used to listen to them a lot back in the late 2000's, but for some reason haven't as of lately. Will need to catch up with their previous 3 albums and the new one when it comes out.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 12:11:39 PM »
Was it their new single Nowhere Generation? I dig it.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 12:57:43 PM »
Yea I heard it like month ago and thought it was OK. I can't say I can remember much about their last two albums. I've struggled to find any songs that really do it for me. They will always be one of my favourite bands though  :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »
Was it their new single Nowhere Generation? I dig it.

Yes, Nowhere Generation. Listened to it again earlier and liked it even more, looking forward to the new album

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 04:05:43 PM »
I think they have had songs in the last few albums that I liked (Wolves, People Live Here, etc.), but I don't think I enjoyed an album in full since Appeal to Reason. 

Nowhere Generation is a good start and as I mentioned during the release of Wolves, they are bound to have a lot of things they want to talk about regarding the state of how things are right now.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2021, 09:26:36 AM »
Listened to the new album

I thought it was enjoyable. Will come back to it more  :metal

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2021, 09:32:40 AM »
Yea I dig it. I've listened through twice and I have more desire to return to than I have for any Rise Against album released in the last 10 years!

The Numbers is one of the best singles they've released in forever.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2021, 10:07:32 PM »
Dug this new album on first listen. These guys are so consistently good.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2021, 11:04:17 PM »
Dug this new album on first listen. These guys are so consistently good.

I dunno, for me they are really inconsistent. I'd rank accordingly, with some pretty big gaps in quality between certain albums (for me):

The Sufferer and the Witness

Siren Song of the Counter Culture

Appeal to Reason

Nowhere Generation
Endgame

Revolutions per Minute

The Black Market
The Unravelling
Wolves

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2021, 06:40:52 AM »
see, I'd say the four  album run from Siren Song-Endgame is flawless. The last few have also all been at least good. So, for me, they're consistently good
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2021, 06:59:35 AM »
I dig the new album, there are a couple songs that stand out to me already. Needs a few more spins though.