Author Topic: Mike Mangini and Portnoy--daisy picking and skipping through meadows?  (Read 23998 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Mike Mangini and Portnoy --The Fight that wont stop.
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2014, 08:49:43 AM »
The only time I remember EVH saying that was when he said that about DLR when Roth told him to stop talking about his hip at that MTV Music Awards where Roth made an ass about himself.  Roth was pissed that Eddie was taking attention away from him by talking about the hip surgery he needed and said something about the lines of, "Tonight's about me, not your f'ing hip." 

It wouldn't surprise me if he recycled that line several times, however. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2014, 08:54:38 AM »
He only wanted back in sooner than five years when he realised the band were happy to carry on without him.

That's not true. He tried compromising down to about a year, and they all had plenty of time to think it over and discuss it before MP made his decision. He only left when they couldn't reach a compromise. The idea that MP was blackmailing or bluffing them or any other such terms people have used is ridiculous.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 08:56:10 AM »
I mean he reneged on the break idea when the band carried on without him. That post was specifically countering one before.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2014, 08:57:49 AM »
I mean he reneged on the break idea when the band carried on without him. That post was specifically countering one before.

I don't think he even knew the band had moved on as they had without him when he tried to rejoin.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2014, 08:59:34 AM »
That's not true al all.  JP never told MP that "He better wear a cup" the next time he saw him.
Which reminds me: https://youtu.be/sL9zwX5LzxQ?t=2m23s

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2014, 09:01:00 AM »
According to JP, MP pretty much told them he wants to join A7X: https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-dream-theaters-john-petrucci-jordan-rudess-on-the-bands-future-442741/ (warning: includes a marriage analogy)
When Mike told you of his plans, did you attempt to change his mind? Did you try to come to some sort of arrangement that would make him happy and keep the band together?

Petrucci: "The biggest thing we did was tell him, 'Don't do that, Mike. It's a mistake.' And we gave him all the reasons you could give to somebody that you're in a band with. See, he wanted to take a long break. He didn't want to leave at first; he wanted to take a five-year break from Dream Theater."

This might be a strange analogy, but it seems akin to a husband leaving his wonderful wife and wanting to run off with –

Petrucci: [laughs] "The younger girl. Right. And she might seem terrific at first, but hey, we told him, 'Mike, this might seem exciting right now, but you're going to wind up unhappy.' We did try to tell him that."

Rudess: "A band member wanting to take a bit of a break is one thing. People are entitled to a break. But Mike wanted to take five years off from Dream Theater. That was a major blow to us. Five years?! That's a big statement. I mean, this is what we do. We enjoy it, we make our livings from it… You can't just stop it cold like that."

Petrucci: "Basically, he was telling us, 'I'm having a good time with this other band. I want to be a part of it.' He didn't want to go right back into Dream Theater, the writing, recording, touring... He thought that we should go away, and then when we came back in five years everybody would welcome us bigger than ever."
I understand that Mike Mangini and Portnoy have a friendship history. I know Mike Portnoy has to be jealous considering he misses being in Dream Theater (assumption--at least want's to be back in...) Anyways, do you think that they dislike each other the least bit - nonetheless Portnoy disliking Mangini? Mangini seemed to be assured that he would keep his position in DT, and that MP would never find his way back. MP found that pretty disrespectful and cocky. There whole friendship has to be ruined.
Mangini has said nothing but positive things about MP in the press and I'm pretty sure he was one of the three who responded to MP's email when he congratulated them on the Grammy nomination. If there's some kind of feud, it's most likely one-sided.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »

I don't think he even knew the band had moved on as they had without him when he tried to rejoin.

That's what I'm thinking too. They will have kept their drummer search away from MP as much as from everybody else. From MP's perspective he might have thought that he had let them steam for a while, and now they would badly want him back.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline noahl

« Reply #77 on: June 30, 2014, 09:04:26 AM »
He only wanted back in sooner than five years when he realised the band were happy to carry on without him.

That's not true. He tried compromising down to about a year, and they all had plenty of time to think it over and discuss it before MP made his decision. He only left when they couldn't reach a compromise. The idea that MP was blackmailing or bluffing them or any other such terms people have used is ridiculous.

Thank you!!

Offline noahl

« Reply #78 on: June 30, 2014, 09:06:54 AM »
According to JP, MP pretty much told them he wants to join A7X: https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-dream-theaters-john-petrucci-jordan-rudess-on-the-bands-future-442741/ (warning: includes a marriage analogy)
When Mike told you of his plans, did you attempt to change his mind? Did you try to come to some sort of arrangement that would make him happy and keep the band together?

Petrucci: "The biggest thing we did was tell him, 'Don't do that, Mike. It's a mistake.' And we gave him all the reasons you could give to somebody that you're in a band with. See, he wanted to take a long break. He didn't want to leave at first; he wanted to take a five-year break from Dream Theater."

This might be a strange analogy, but it seems akin to a husband leaving his wonderful wife and wanting to run off with –

Petrucci: [laughs] "The younger girl. Right. And she might seem terrific at first, but hey, we told him, 'Mike, this might seem exciting right now, but you're going to wind up unhappy.' We did try to tell him that."

Rudess: "A band member wanting to take a bit of a break is one thing. People are entitled to a break. But Mike wanted to take five years off from Dream Theater. That was a major blow to us. Five years?! That's a big statement. I mean, this is what we do. We enjoy it, we make our livings from it… You can't just stop it cold like that."

Petrucci: "Basically, he was telling us, 'I'm having a good time with this other band. I want to be a part of it.' He didn't want to go right back into Dream Theater, the writing, recording, touring... He thought that we should go away, and then when we came back in five years everybody would welcome us bigger than ever."
I understand that Mike Mangini and Portnoy have a friendship history. I know Mike Portnoy has to be jealous considering he misses being in Dream Theater (assumption--at least want's to be back in...) Anyways, do you think that they dislike each other the least bit - nonetheless Portnoy disliking Mangini? Mangini seemed to be assured that he would keep his position in DT, and that MP would never find his way back. MP found that pretty disrespectful and cocky. There whole friendship has to be ruined.
Mangini has said nothing but positive things about MP in the press and I'm pretty sure he was one of the three who responded to MP's email when he congratulated them on the Grammy nomination. If there's some kind of feud, it's most likely one-sided.

That's incorrect, MP got pissed because MM was being cocky.

Offline noahl

« Reply #79 on: June 30, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »

That's what I'm thinking too. They will have kept their drummer search away from MP as much as from everybody else. From MP's perspective he might have thought that he had let them steam for a while, and now they would badly want him back.

He's a dumbass, I would join DT in a heartbeat.

Just kidding.,. I'm not that great of a drummer.

I understand where Portnoy is coming from. HE NEEDED A DAMN BREAK.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:36 AM »
:huh:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #81 on: June 30, 2014, 09:10:33 AM »

WTF?! :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: June 30, 2014, 09:11:05 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Yeah, he's not trolling. :lol :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 09:13:24 AM »

Ah yeah, I don't think MP got pissed at MM at all (unhappy at having been replaced, but that's not about MM specifically), and MM wasn't being cocky about anything either.

This whole thread (including other people's replies) is a new low for DTF, and that's a pretty tough thing to do.

Offline noahl

« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2014, 09:17:19 AM »

There's an article that I read somewhere that talks about this.

WTF?! :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
Being a drummer myself MP was a pretty big inspiration to me back in the day. He's done some amazing things within the drum department for prog metal and no one can take those things away from him. But basically already after 6DOIT I started noticing him re-use alot of his fills, grooves and stuff and I started slowly to loose interest in him as a drummer. Found other bands and other drummers alot more creative so I pretty much stopped following DT, although I did listen occasionally on every new release hoping to find some spark but with no really luck.

I remember alot of times before MP left wondering what DT would have sound like with a diffrent drummer because I had so much respect for JP, JR and JM as musicians and thought they had more passion for their respective craft.

So when MP left I felt nothing more than excitment and interest for the future of DT. With all this being said though i'm only talking about MP as a drummer, he of course did so much more for DT and those things is much harder to replace. That was one of the things why I never actually thought MP would leave DT, I just couldn't picture anyone taking over that chair given how much he did for DT besides playing drums.

It did happen and someone replaced him in the form of the amazing MM which I knew of way before the audition. I knew he was capable of handling anything thrown at him. Could he replace the drum icon Mike Portnoy with his huge fanbase? Probably not but he was a refresing thing for DT as a band.

Fast forward 4 years and seeing this whole debate of MP and DT still raving on I almost feel like:

Please Mike Portnoy come back to DT so we can end this neverending topic on DTF.

I didn't mean to sound harsh but I guess i've never been much of a true fan of any band or member meaning that I don't get very emotional when someone leaves a band that I like. I just accept and move on as I do with alot of things I can't control. There's no point getting worked up over something as trivial. That's just my two cents.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »

Sure you did.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2014, 09:39:17 AM »
This thread made my morning.

Sure you did.

I'm sure it was penned by noahl.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline noahl

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
This thread made my morning.

Sure you did.

I'm sure it was penned by noahl.
Here's the link, richard.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_mangini_portnoys_never_coming_back.html
that's one part,
cannot locate where MP get's pissed, but you get the point.

Offline EdenHazard

• INVENTORY!
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2014, 09:49:01 AM »
What the hell, man. Just, what the hell.

"MP is pissed because of MM."
"Why?"
"Read an article. Doesn't say he is pissed, but anyway, enjoy."

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »
Shit - I need a JD ..............make it a double
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2014, 09:57:55 AM »

The "bluff" part came in during the week they gave each other to reconsider. MP wasn't gonna budge about his hiatus, but he expected the rest of DT to budge during that time. After the week his "bluff" was called and he had to actually do what he had threatened too do, i.e. leave DT.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2014, 09:59:33 AM »

The "bluff" part came in during the week they gave each other to reconsider. MP wasn't gonna budge about his hiatus, but he expected the rest of DT to budge during that time. After the week his "bluff" was called and he had to actually do what he had threatened too do, i.e. leave DT.

That's nothing but biased conjecture.

Offline 425

« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2014, 10:05:37 AM »
Honestly, as a fan of both Mike Portnoy and of Dream Theater, I wonder sometimes why there's so much finger-pointing within the fanbase. This was, all things considered, a very amicable split. There were a couple of times when Mike said something he shouldn't have said, sure, but in the context of every other split-up of a band in history? I'm going to list off a few things now that I hope to God we can all agree on:

• Mike Portnoy acted out of what he thought were the best interests of him and the band in calling for a hiatus.
  • The rest of the band acted out of the best interests of the band by refusing to take a hiatus. They acted out of what they thought were the best interests of Mike Portnoy by encouraging him to stay.
  • Mike Portnoy acted out of what he thought were his own best interests in leaving the band.
  • Mike Portnoy was mistaken in believing that leaving the band was in his best interests
  • Three current members of Dream Theater have contacted Mike Portnoy since the breakup, at least by responding to his email congratulating them on their Grammy nomination. One of these members is Jordan Rudess. James LaBrie is not one of them.
  • Mike Portnoy was wrong to jump to conclusions about James LaBrie's statements to the press. As a corollary, Mike Portnoy admitted his mistake and apologized appropriately.
  • Mike Portnoy was wrong to, in the years preceding the breakup, make negative comments about the singing of James LaBrie to the press and in public fora.
  • Here's the big one: Mike Portnoy, on a fundamental level, does not mean any ill will towards the members of Dream Theater. He does sometimes make public statements that are imprudent and create the impression that he means ill will towards Dream Theater.

Can we all agree on these truths about this breakup, and as a consequence stop pointing fingers at either Dream Theater or Mike Portnoy? Honestly, I think sometimes that the fans have stronger feelings on this matter than the members of the band! I doubt even JLB feels as strongly negative about MP as the anti-MP faction of the fanbase; and I think MP holds little resentment at all towards the band and is not under the impression that he is likely to be rejoining it, in contrast to the views of the "bring back MP" faction of the fanbase
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: June 30, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »

WTF, what part? We *know* MP threatened to leave, we *know* they gave each other a week to think about it, and we *know* that MP then left the band. Where is the conjecture?

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
Here's the link, richard.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_mangini_portnoys_never_coming_back.html
that's one part,
cannot locate where MP get's pissed, but you get the point.
Ok, he says MP isn't coming back (which is something the other guys had most likely convinced him about and was 100% obvious anyway), but he also says:
"I don't feel like it's hanging over my head. The reason why is I like Mike very much. He's a friend and I have new brothers in Dream Theater, and when you love somebody you let them do what they need to."
I don't see anything cocky in that, and there's not a single mention of MP being pissed off.
WTF, what part? We *know* MP threatened to leave, we *know* they gave each other a week to think about it, and we *know* that MP then left the band. Where is the conjecture?
I got the impression MP didn't bring up the option of him leaving until after the week had passed and the other guys weren't willing to compromise.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:19:30 AM by ? »

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2014, 10:17:31 AM »
That's not how I remember it, but maybe my memory is faulty.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: June 30, 2014, 10:20:34 AM »

I don't recall MP "threatening" to leave in the initial discussion (and threaten is such loaded language to begin with), only bringing up the idea of a hiatus, and he did compromise on how long it was going to be. So he'd already "budged" on his initial hiatus idea (just not far enough for the rest of DT to agree to, which was apparently zero, which I can't fault them for), and there is no evidence that he was bluffing to get what he wanted. He was burned out on DT, and him trying to return wasn't backing down on a bluff, it was regretting his decision after other circumstances changed and he had more time to think it over.
Your concept of the split is the truth after being run through the DTF washing machine.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2014, 10:27:02 AM »
I decided to try this thread with baked ziti and a salad. It pairs well with both.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2014, 10:31:30 AM »
I don't recall MP "threatening" to leave in the initial discussion (and threaten is such loaded language to begin with), only bringing up the idea of a hiatus, and he did compromise on how long it was going to be. So he'd already "budged" on his initial hiatus idea (just not far enough for the rest of DT to agree to, which was apparently zero, which I can't fault them for), and there is no evidence that he was bluffing to get what he wanted. He was burned out on DT, and him trying to return wasn't backing down on a bluff, it was regretting his decision after other circumstances changed and he had more time to think it over.
Your concept of the split is the truth after being run through the DTF washing machine.

Not at all. I think you're just whitewashing MP's dominant control over DT in the years leading up to the split. If you take that into account, I think it's obvious that MP thought he had such a strong hand in the gamble that he could make that decision too for them, just as he had made many decisions before.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: June 30, 2014, 10:39:45 AM »

Not at all. I think you're just whitewashing MP's dominant control over DT in the years leading up to the split. If you take that into account, I think it's obvious that MP thought he had such a strong hand in the gamble that he could that make decision too for them, just as he had made many decisions before.

I'm not "whitewashing" anything, I just don't invent story beyond what the facts actually support or prove. I haven't heard anything from either side to suggest what you are claiming. It all comes down to your opinion of MP's personality, simple as that.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #101 on: June 30, 2014, 10:55:04 AM »

[/li][li]Mike Portnoy was wrong to jump to conclusions about James LaBrie's statements to the press. As a corollary, Mike Portnoy admitted his mistake and apologized appropriately.[/li][/list]

No he didn't.  He apologized for believing the out of context headline (from a website he always says never to believe) which is akin to a non-apology. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #102 on: June 30, 2014, 11:14:47 AM »
I decided to try this thread with baked ziti and a salad. It pairs well with both.

You love the extra cheese I see.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Hellholming

• EZBoard Elder
  • hellraisin'
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
all I know is that I prefer Mike's live drumming to Mangini's... Also overall drum parts.

Mike has way more energy.

With that said, the two albums with Mangini are some of their best.
Professional idiot.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: June 30, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
Hooooly shit, Hellholming!!