Author Topic: Mike Mangini and Portnoy--daisy picking and skipping through meadows?  (Read 23972 times)

Offline Nearmyth

Re: Mike Mangini and Portnoy --The Fight that wont stop.
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2014, 11:40:05 PM »
Oh my  :corn
"Now I'm not one to soon forget
And I bet I never will...

WAAHH WAAHH DIGA DIGA WAAHH WAAHH"

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2014, 11:45:48 PM »
Jesus, man, get a grip.  They did not abandon him; he left the band on his own!  You seriously cannot be this obtuse, so I am thinking this has to be trolling.

Every time, someone keeps mentioning that DT abandoned MP, I am always reminded of this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kj_8E3FOU4s

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2014, 11:46:28 PM »
I love this thread.  :lol

Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline noahl

« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2014, 11:49:43 PM »
I love this thread.  :lol

Me too..
It's pretty funny, everyone gets so PISSED! :lol :rollin

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2014, 11:52:20 PM »
It's just that the subject has been done to death. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2014, 11:57:46 PM »
Jesus, man, get a grip.  They did not abandon him; he left the band on his own!  You seriously cannot be this obtuse, so I am thinking this has to be trolling.

Every time, someone keeps mentioning that DT abandoned MP, I am always reminded of this video.

That is AMAZING.

Offline noahl

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 12:03:04 AM »

That is AMAZING.

Agreed.

Offline Milzinga

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 12:34:33 AM »
:facepalm:

So much fail in that original post.

JLB has handled this whole thing with 1,000 times more grace than Portnoy has.

Mike Portnoy never has been and never will be the heart of Dream Theater.

Dream Theater was never just Mike Portnoy's band.

Portnoy is not in the band anymore.  Get used to it.

I couldn't agree more with you.  :tup

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2014, 12:51:48 AM »
There is only one thing this thread is missing...

:marriageanalogy:

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2014, 01:24:21 AM »
Trust someone with a low post count to kick this off again. Stinks of someone joining the forum just to cause a fuss, ie. a troll. Us mature ones (the band included) have more than moved on.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2014, 01:38:22 AM »
Trust someone with a low post count to kick this off again. Stinks of someone joining the forum just to cause a fuss, ie. a troll. Us mature ones (the band included) have more than moved on.

There is nothing about the OP that suggests he is a troll at all, aside from holding an opposite viewpoint to the general forum, even if his information isn't all correct. I also don't get the impression that most people here have moved on from this issue, as it's always the same stuff coming back up constantly. I wish we'd moved on, because seeing the same discussion constantly has gotten tedious!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 01:51:34 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2014, 02:13:18 AM »
Wait.....so Mike Portnoy has left Dream Theater?

I thought he'd just changed his drum kit and straightened his hair. I was wondering why he'd started doing interviews in a Boston accent. Everything makes so much sense now.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2014, 02:21:20 AM »
Wait.....so Mike Portnoy has left Dream Theater?

I thought he'd just changed his drum kit and straightened his hair. I was wondering why he'd started doing interviews in a Boston accent. Everything makes so much sense now.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2014, 02:51:14 AM »
I know I was going on different topics, but there are multiple parts to pay attention to and respond to. Have fun.

I kinda understand where you're coming from sometimes, but to me part of it might be assuming the premise of an extreme separation of the ideas of a DT with MP and a post-MP DT. Sure, it can be a thing. But the way I see it, bands grow and change in different ways, often members step out and someone else steps in. DT has gone through these transformations multiple times. Now Dream Theater is still Dream Theater so.. I guess if you don't like it, that's a chance to recognise what that means for you on a personal level and perhaps the change will grow on you over time or you'll find something else that you prefer. But change will always be constant, and that will never change..?¿

Offline Progressive Metal Fusion

• JLB: "We're Dream Theater, we can't stop!"
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2014, 04:59:20 AM »
I don't ever understand  people saying that DT was MP's band. I mean, really?
DT was founded by JP, JM, and MP.
Also, I don't think that MP efforts for the band were greater than JP efforts.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2014, 05:29:05 AM »
This thread is going to end well.
I know it is, I enjoy controversy, it get's the true opinions out of fans, and brings the best them.

FTFY

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2014, 05:31:59 AM »
Portnoy thought relationships in the band were strained and wanted "up to 5" years off to rekindle that relationship. ***

The rest of the band said no - the band is our meal ticket. We can't just stop for "up to 5" years.

So Mike Portnoy forced their hand and said he was leaving the band. I dunno if he thought they would stop and wait for him to return.

Instead they made a documentary about finding Mangini . Recorded a new album and carried on as normal.

Meanwhile - MP joined AX7 and assumed that was his new full-time gig but they let him go and told him he was only temporary all along.

MP then went on twitter saying " You can't trust anyone".

*** - Funnily enough - the band are getting on better than ever since they got Mangini. Make of that what you want...

EDIT - Yes MP did try to get back in the band even after Mangini had joined.

JP even said that in an interview - something like " Really? After we've been through all that, the legal stuff and made this film and hired Mangini - you think you can just step back in ? ! "

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2014, 06:35:34 AM »
I know it is, I enjoy controversy, it get's the true opinions out of fans, and brings the best out of them.

Holy crap!! Someone else who enjoys actual debate!! We should be friends.

I would say I like how LaBrie handled that question. All the guys in DT answer that pretty much the same way, but with varying levels of assertion, and this was definitely very polarized and hard-hitting. It's nice that they are all so honest and audacious enough to say what is actually on their minds, and it gives us a great understanding of how each member feels. It seems JLB certainly feels the most certain about the situation.

And I don't know WHOSE concert you were at, but judging by the Transatlantic show this January, every freaking video on youtube (okay, minus one, but I watch a hell of a lot), and every day on Tweet Secret, I think Mike Portnoy is one of the happiest people I have ever seen. The split was great for everyone involved.

..Oh and about the thread- PERFECT discussion, and yea, how come it's okay to completely disrespect someone else's points only if their in the minority view? I guess rules really only do apply if the mods disagree with your view.. "No bashing" -my ass; "no disagreeing with Bosk and the majority of DTF" is where it's at. Here I am supporting a person's tactics who I thoroughly disagree with substantively, again.

Well as one of my first posts I learned most of the other DT fans hate debate, and hate other opinions if they're different then others :rollin rookie mistake..haha.

I do like it as well. Portnoy took it extremely offensive though. I know JP want's to play with MP again sometime.
I guess he just doesn't like Connecticut. At concerts for DT he was more into it.
I think that you're completely correct, and that I love you. I don't think anyone truly follows the rules at all, not even the mods. :lol

You say opinions I say fantasy. :lol

Mike is an emotional guy.  He was burned out on DT asked to take time of which was quite a long time.  I think it was a surprise to the other guys.  I think they felt if he was burned out on DT he shouldn't have spread himself so much in other projects all the time.  Mike stood his ground and they did as well.  He then said he quit, they moved on.

Mike wanted back in after they invested so much time going through the process with finding a new drummer and they already had Mangini in the fold and it was too late at that point.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2014, 06:59:42 AM »
The real tragedy against MP is the fact that AX7 kicked him out.  I mean, after he poured his heart and soul into a couple of months of being a touring drummer, and then to have them just turn their back on him after the pain of sacrificing his 25 year old daughter for them.  I mean, I can understand disowning your 25 year old daughter for a more fun and popular 10 year old, but then when she says goodbye, because you really were only a baby-sitter, I mean it was cruel an unusual punishment.

FOR SHAME on A7X!!  What a bunch of manipulative cunts.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline noahl

« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2014, 07:19:47 AM »

I am not a troll. I made all 24 posts last night. Sorry you disagree. 

Offline noahl

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2014, 07:22:02 AM »
I know I was going on different topics, but there are multiple parts to pay attention to and respond to. Have fun.

I kinda understand where you're coming from sometimes, but to me part of it might be assuming the premise of an extreme separation of the ideas of a DT with MP and a post-MP DT. Sure, it can be a thing. But the way I see it, bands grow and change in different ways, often members step out and someone else steps in. DT has gone through these transformations multiple times. Now Dream Theater is still Dream Theater so.. I guess if you don't like it, that's a chance to recognise what that means for you on a personal level and perhaps the change will grow on you over time or you'll find something else that you prefer. But change will always be constant, and that will never change..?¿

I do like mm's work. Don't get me wrong. I just feel for portnoy. I will still listen I just prefer portnoy in the band--like many others.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2014, 07:30:52 AM »
I do like mm's work. Don't get me wrong. I just feel for portnoy. I will still listen I just prefer portnoy in the band--like many others.

I know, right?  It's such a shame he hasn't had Dream Theater to channel his creative outlet.  I mean, how can a guy get by with only The Winery Dogs, PSMS, Bigelf, Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Adrenaline Mob, and The Neal Morse Band to satisfy all of his writing and touring needs??  He'd be much happier in the Dream Theater 2 year cycle of write-record-tour-break-tour-break.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline noahl

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 07:33:34 AM »
Portnoy thought relationships in the band were strained and wanted "up to 5" years off to rekindle that relationship. ***

The rest of the band said no - the band is our meal ticket. We can't just stop for "up to 5" years.

So Mike Portnoy forced their hand and said he was leaving the band. I dunno if he thought they would stop and wait for him to return.

Instead they made a documentary about finding Mangini . Recorded a new album and carried on as normal.

Meanwhile - MP joined AX7 and assumed that was his new full-time gig but they let him go and told him he was only temporary all along.

MP then went on twitter saying " You can't trust anyone".

*** - Funnily enough - the band are getting on better than ever since they got Mangini. Make of that what you want...

EDIT - Yes MP did try to get back in the band even after Mangini had joined.

JP even said that in an interview - something like " Really? After we've been through all that, the legal stuff and made this film and hired Mangini - you think you can just step back in ? ! "

He said UP to 5 years. He came back in less time than that wanting to rejoin. JP would be the guy to get MP back, considering they're still close.

Offline noahl

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2014, 07:36:22 AM »
I know it is, I enjoy controversy, it get's the true opinions out of fans, and brings the best out of them.

Holy crap!! Someone else who enjoys actual debate!! We should be friends.

I would say I like how LaBrie handled that question. All the guys in DT answer that pretty much the same way, but with varying levels of assertion, and this was definitely very polarized and hard-hitting. It's nice that they are all so honest and audacious enough to say what is actually on their minds, and it gives us a great understanding of how each member feels. It seems JLB certainly feels the most certain about the situation.

And I don't know WHOSE concert you were at, but judging by the Transatlantic show this January, every freaking video on youtube (okay, minus one, but I watch a hell of a lot), and every day on Tweet Secret, I think Mike Portnoy is one of the happiest people I have ever seen. The split was great for everyone involved.

..Oh and about the thread- PERFECT discussion, and yea, how come it's okay to completely disrespect someone else's points only if their in the minority view? I guess rules really only do apply if the mods disagree with your view.. "No bashing" -my ass; "no disagreeing with Bosk and the majority of DTF" is where it's at. Here I am supporting a person's tactics who I thoroughly disagree with substantively, again.

Well as one of my first posts I learned most of the other DT fans hate debate, and hate other opinions if they're different then others :rollin rookie mistake..haha.

I do like it as well. Portnoy took it extremely offensive though. I know JP want's to play with MP again sometime.
I guess he just doesn't like Connecticut. At concerts for DT he was more into it.
I think that you're completely correct, and that I love you. I don't think anyone truly follows the rules at all, not even the mods. :lol

You say opinions I say fantasy. :lol

Mike is an emotional guy.  He was burned out on DT asked to take time of which was quite a long time.  I think it was a surprise to the other guys.  I think they felt if he was burned out on DT he shouldn't have spread himself so much in other projects all the time.  Mike stood his ground and they did as well.  He then said he quit, they moved on.

Mike wanted back in after they invested so much time going through the process with finding a new drummer and they already had Mangini in the fold and it was too late at that point.

So he was playing chicken?

Offline noahl

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »

I know, right?  It's such a shame he hasn't had Dream Theater to channel his creative outlet.  I mean, how can a guy get by with only The Winery Dogs, PSMS, Bigelf, Transatlantic, Flying Colors, Adrenaline Mob, and The Neal Morse Band to satisfy all of his writing and touring needs??  He'd be much happier in the Dream Theater 2 year cycle of write-record-tour-break-tour-break.

He cannot be creative with The Winery Dogs..It's kind-of sad.
He has much more creativity than MM--not bashin MM--he's still a better drummer than MP., however, MP utilizes his ability 150%.

COME HOME PORTNOY.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
He only wanted back in sooner than five years when he realised the band were happy to carry on without him.

MP won't be back in DT. I wouldn't rule out a guest spot in years to come when the waters are calm. And never say never right?

But, I think a guest spot is unlikely and returning to DT full time is just never going to happen. Him never being in DT is a helluva lot more likely than him ever being in DT again. I don't see how you can state that you know he'll return.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2014, 07:47:52 AM »
No.  Mike was honestly burnt, but I do believe he did that to himself.  His focus for the first time was not on DT and when The guys told him they didn't want to take a break he left.  Sometimes things just don't work out.  Feeling were hurt.  As a fan nothing we can do.  I try to look at it as I've got more music to listen to now that Mike plays in so many bands I like.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline noahl

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2014, 07:54:17 AM »
No.  Mike was honestly burnt, but I do believe he did that to himself.  His focus for the first time was not on DT and when The guys told him they didn't want to take a break he left.  Sometimes things just don't work out.  Feeling were hurt.  As a fan nothing we can do.  I try to look at it as I've got more music to listen to now that Mike plays in so many bands I like.
Thank you, That's what I've been saying. I do like some of his new bands. HOPE LTE3 HAPPENS!
"Just for the record:  "I think my initial feelings of no longer being interested in another LTE album because of the similarities to DT with Jordan have finally passed... It's been long enough now that I think it could indeed be exciting, creative and a lot of fun.
YES.
He only wanted back in sooner than five years when he realised the band were happy to carry on without him.

MP won't be back in DT. I wouldn't rule out a guest spot in years to come when the waters are calm. And never say never right?

But, I think a guest spot is unlikely and returning to DT full time is just never going to happen. Him never being in DT is a helluva lot more likely than him ever being in DT again. I don't see how you can state that you know he'll return.

I have a feeling after that guest spot, they'll know what they've been missing.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2014, 07:55:59 AM »
Which playing with him for 25 years would never have shown them?

Nope. Not doing this. I'm out o' tha thread!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2014, 08:05:30 AM »

Thank you, That's what I've been saying. I do like some of his new bands. HOPE LTE3 HAPPENS!
"Just for the record:  "I think my initial feelings of no longer being interested in another LTE album because of the similarities to DT with Jordan have finally passed... It's been long enough now that I think it could indeed be exciting, creative and a lot of fun.
YES.

I know it's easy to assume that all prog metal heads have serious hearing loss , but a lot of us don't  ;)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2014, 08:12:34 AM »
 I´ve never seen anyone receive so much criticism over a breakup...not even David lee Roth or Sammy Hagar, who still argue in the press every now and then, and both have left (and come back, and then left) Van Halen more than 15 years ago. I think some of us did enjoy DT a hell of a lot more when MP was in the band. I for one, think they lost 99% of their balls and spontaneity when he left, even though MM can play his beats effortlessly and even improve some of them.

Offline noahl

« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2014, 08:16:16 AM »

YES.

I know it's easy to assume that all prog metal heads have serious hearing loss , but a lot of us don't  ;)

That's a pretty safe/accurate assumption! :lol :biggrin:

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2014, 08:24:36 AM »
I like the last 2 albums very much. I am happy with the current lineup. I hope it stays as is. :)
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 08:40:03 AM »
I´ve never seen anyone receive so much criticism over a breakup...not even David lee Roth or Sammy Hagar, who still argue in the press every now and then, and both have left (and come back, and then left) Van Halen more than 15 years ago.

That's because the breakup, from MP's side, was handled like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMagP52BWG8#t=141
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2014, 08:44:22 AM »
That's not true al all.  JP never told MP that "He better wear a cup" the next time he saw him.

That's what Eddie said in an interview about Sammy Hagar.  Also on the reunion tour Michael Anthony was working for scale since Eddie kicked him out of the band and forced a buy out.