Author Topic: Mike Mangini and Portnoy--daisy picking and skipping through meadows?  (Read 24000 times)

Offline 425

Re: Mike Mangini and Portnoy --The Fight that wont stop.
« Reply #140 on: June 30, 2014, 08:28:32 PM »
Well, that's why I only established what we pretty much know to be true. James has been pretty forthcoming, as I recall, that he has not been in touch with MP. Meanwhile, fairly recently Jordan and Mike both posted to social media pictures of the two of them together as friends. So I'm almost certain that James didn't and Jordan did.
Yeah, but sometimes the logical answer isn't the right one. Maybe James thought some of what MP said were jokes that didn't go over too well - back when MP was saying that they should have hired another vocalist, they were communicating through more than just interviews, and James totes knows more about the context of that statement. Maybe he thought that the other actions (Facebook comments, the deleting of SI discussions) were just done in the heat of rage over being out from the band? Maybe he hasn't even heard of any of these things?

Maybe JMX doesn't consider his diminished role in the band to be something effected by MP and something to be distant about, but just a natural ebb-and-flow?

Maybe two of them are just that terrible at email? Believe me, it's possible to be terrible at email even if your career depends on networking  :lol and I think they're big enough that it doesn't.

All I'm saying is that there are so many possible narratives, and the DTF party line is simplified to just one or two, about everything.

I'm with you. I'm definitely with you on that. Which is why I'm just establishing the two we can confidently say we know. James said in an interview during the ADTOE tour that he was not in touch with Mike Portnoy anymore at that time. Meanwhile, Jordan has taken friendly pictures with Mike recently—it seems logical to think that they remained friends after the split and that Jordan responded to his email.

But yes, I agree with you that there are certainly other possibilities, such as John Myung not holding the grudge that people here have decided he holds and John Petrucci or Mike Mangini forgetting to email or not knowing how to or not wanting to, etc.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #141 on: June 30, 2014, 08:31:03 PM »
I'm surprised this thread hasn't been locked by now.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #142 on: June 30, 2014, 09:56:09 PM »
I think that discussion's just starting to get good.  :corn
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #143 on: June 30, 2014, 10:39:39 PM »
I don't think there's any trolling here.

Except maybe the people yelling "TROLL!" and mocking the guy who started the thread. :biggrin:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2014, 12:19:46 AM »
Maybe JM didn't want to waste MP's time and inbox space by sending an email that only says "..." :neverusethis:

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #145 on: July 01, 2014, 02:27:09 AM »
I mean he reneged on the break idea when the band carried on without him. That post was specifically countering one before.

I don't think he even knew the band had moved on as they had without him when he tried to rejoin.

That's what I'm thinking too. They will have kept their drummer search away from MP as much as from everybody else. From MP's perspective he might have thought that he had let them steam for a while, and now they would badly want him back.

"I figured it was still possible to try and save us, because they hadn't made any announcements yet or begun any public activity with another drummer… but sadly, they declined my offer (well, actually their lawyer did… they didn't even tell me themselves….)"
https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/mike-portnoy-i-tried-to-rejoin-dream-theater-but-was-rebuffed/#ZQBi0Tt8ZITaJJOZ.99

Kind of implies he knew what they were doing.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: July 01, 2014, 02:37:11 AM »
It kind of doesn't. He didn't know they'd already moved on with a different drummer, but knew that it would happen (since you know, he'd left and all). So his reason for changing his mind wasn't because the band had moved on, and it wasn't a bluff. He knew he'd left for real, and knew they'd move on, but didn't know where they were with that process.

Offline puppyonacid

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #147 on: July 01, 2014, 02:44:59 AM »
Right whatever.

You're 100% right. I bow to your superior knowledge and don't believe for a moment that you have to be right out of principle.

I don't even believe that I'm totally right. Just a POV that I contributed to a pretty limp discussion.
This post was brought to you by Puppyonacid and subsequently ignored.

DTF's resident thread killer

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: July 01, 2014, 02:55:13 AM »
I was only replying to your post. Shucks, man! :( No hard feelings.
I was just trying to bring some more balance to what is usually a fairly one-sided discussion on DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #149 on: July 01, 2014, 06:25:33 AM »
Wow, I just read through this entire thread.... This is certainly an interesting one, haha.

Too many things to try to respond to, but my take is simply this: MM is happy to be in DT and DT seems extremely happy to have MM.  I have seen no signs of bad blood between MM and MP at all.  MP claims to be happy with all his tons of projects, whether he tried to get back in DT or not.  And that's pretty much that, nothing more to it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: July 01, 2014, 09:21:00 AM »
BTW, this thread title is awful.  MM and MP aren't, and never have been, fighting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #151 on: July 01, 2014, 09:28:27 AM »
BTW, this thread title is awful.  MM and MP aren't, and never have been, fighting.

Right, and that is why I said the OP was trolling, especially since he even admitted that he likes to stir up controversy, and deliberately misrepresenting facts to get a rise out of people is pretty much the internet textbook definition of trolling. :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #152 on: July 01, 2014, 09:59:53 AM »
I'm shocked it's remained open this long.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: July 01, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
I'm shocked it's remained open this long.
We'll see how much longer it stays open.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #154 on: July 01, 2014, 10:06:54 AM »

Yes, it is. But I sense the OP is not a native English speaker which could account for it.

And the allegations of trolling are hilarious.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #155 on: July 01, 2014, 02:02:09 PM »
What the fuck is this?

MIKE PORTNOY LEFT DREAM THEATRE????

PORQUE!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #156 on: July 01, 2014, 05:09:14 PM »
What the fuck is this?

PORQUE!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?

Yeah, it happened a couple of years ago. They didn't want to go to Indonesia, so he left.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #157 on: July 01, 2014, 05:40:30 PM »

The Fight That Stumped Them All.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #158 on: July 01, 2014, 05:54:09 PM »
I have always taken these "we're friends" statements by musicians with a big grain of salt. MP and Neal are clearly actual friends. But MP and MM,  they will probably have met at the occasional drumming event. I have no doubt they were on very positive terms with each other, but it strikes me more like the kind of "friendship" you have with a coworker whose work you respect.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #159 on: July 01, 2014, 05:57:47 PM »
What the fuck is this?

PORQUE!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?

Yeah, it happened a couple of years ago. They didn't want to go to Indonesia, so he left.

Just think of the money they'd make if they like took up residency in Indonesia for a few months.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #160 on: July 01, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
I have always taken these "we're friends" statements by musicians with a big grain of salt. MP and Neal are clearly actual friends. But MP and MM,  they will probably have met at the occasional drumming event. I have no doubt they were on very positive terms with each other, but it strikes me more like the kind of "friendship" you have with a coworker whose work you respect.
Eh, it's obvious they aren't scheduling sessions of daisy picking and skipping through the meadows, I suppose everyone does go by your definition of things.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #161 on: July 01, 2014, 06:17:38 PM »
My post was made against the background of the OP which makes it sound as if two twin brothers ended up on opposite sides of a battle. In reality I think they were just two professional drummers who respected each other, and now one of them is banging the ex of the other.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: July 01, 2014, 06:23:11 PM »
My post was made against the background of the OP which makes it sound as if two twin brothers ended up on opposite sides of a battle. In reality I think they were just two professional drummers who respected each other, and now one of them is banging the ex of the other.

100% correct and the end of this post is perfection.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #163 on: July 01, 2014, 06:29:14 PM »
Eh, it's obvious they aren't scheduling sessions of daisy picking and skipping through the meadows

Do people actually do that?  I mean, I'm not judging.  If you or people you know do that, its cool. 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: July 01, 2014, 06:35:21 PM »
Do you really thing that they cross paths much?  I bet now so you can see where Rumbo is coming from.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2014, 06:52:01 PM »
Eh, it's obvious they aren't scheduling sessions of daisy picking and skipping through the meadows

Do people actually do that?  I mean, I'm not judging.  If you or people you know do that, its cool.
I was going for the most exaggerated thing :lol but yeah now that you've mentioned it I'd like to go make some flower crowns.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2014, 06:59:01 PM »
Yup, let's face it.

I'm sure MM respects MP, but not so much that he'd retract his application to be the DT drummer because his respected peer wants back in.

Likewise, MP respects MM I'm sure, but wouldn't think twice if he had the chance to take his old job back.

And finally, DT are going to do what they feel is best for them. For example, if a few years from now interest is waning, I'm sure the band will consider a reunion with MP. As long as things continue to go well with MM, they won't. 

Offline Grizz

« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2014, 07:16:28 PM »
The only instances I know of them crossing paths are in 2002 (I think that was the year) when MP invited MM to sit on the other side of the Siamese monster in his drum solo and in 2009 in a Tama promo where he's talking about the double setup and casually mentions MM as one of the people he's played with on his set (even though it was a fairly different kit, at least in terms of material and the right side).
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2014, 07:28:36 PM »

I was going for the most exaggerated thing :lol but yeah now that you've mentioned it I'd like to go make some flower crowns.

I prefer flower pressing.

After some thought, I wouldn't be opposed to skipping through the meadows.  My allergies are pretty bad though and I'm out of shape so I would have to walk the majority of the time. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2014, 11:59:31 PM »
The only instances I know of them crossing paths are in 2002 (I think that was the year) when MP invited MM to sit on the other side of the Siamese monster in his drum solo and in 2009 in a Tama promo where he's talking about the double setup and casually mentions MM as one of the people he's played with on his set (even though it was a fairly different kit, at least in terms of material and the right side).
Actually, MP has mentioned MM as one of the drummers he respects several more times - I think one of those mentions is still in his FAQ on his site.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2014, 08:01:32 AM »

I was at that show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2014, 08:50:51 AM »
I have the bootleg of that show - "When Mike And Mike Unite"

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »
:rollin

Offline emtee

« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:13 AM »
The fight that never started.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2014, 09:56:43 AM »
:rollin
That's not a joke, it's the title.