Author Topic: I don't understand my love for Prophets of War  (Read 4875 times)

Offline PwnsomeWin

I don't understand my love for Prophets of War
« on: June 29, 2014, 05:54:30 AM »
The fact that I love Prophets of War is probably amazing enough on this forum. But what's really odd is that I never get sick of it. In fact, it just keeps getting better. A few months ago, it lingered just below my top 10; 12 or something. Right now, it's #4. FOUR.

Also I'd like to ask why this song is hated so much. That is all.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: I don't understand my love for Prophets of War
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 06:29:54 AM »
Neither do I.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 08:50:48 AM »
The song's got an infectious beat, it's catchy and melodic all around and it has a stellar performance by James LaBrie. I hope that helps you understand your love for the song at least a bit.  ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 08:54:08 AM »
Funny thing for me is, I probably like this song, or dislike it less, more than most, yet I still consider it one of their 10-15 worst/least best studio album songs.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 09:59:35 AM »
The song's got an infectious beat, it's catchy and melodic all around and it has a stellar performance by James LaBrie. I hope that helps you understand your love for the song at least a bit.  ;D

Yes.  Cool riffs.  Excellent performance by LaBrie.  It also helps that I agree with the message. 

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 10:00:18 AM »
My favorite song from my least favorite album. I like it a lot, actually.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
I like it. Good driving song, too.

Offline 425

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »
It's also the song where they just threw as many different experiments into the pot as possible, and yet it still feels cohesive. I mean, there's the group vocals, the Queen vocals, the rap and the dance beat, at least. I don't absolutely love the song, but the more I listen to Systematic Chaos the more some of the songs start to stale and the more it becomes apparent that Prophets of War simply refuses to stale and in fact has probably improved over time.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline npiazza91

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 01:50:53 PM »
It's ok, I don't really have anything against it.  It's pretty forgettable to me.  I don't really care for Systematic Chaos as a whole, and this is just one song in a group a forgettable ones on the album.  I think for me, the album gets overshadowed by the other ones and this being a forgettable song (on a forgettable album, no less) doesn't really help its case. I really do have to listen to the entire album again straight through, though.  It's been a while.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Ranking it as a top five Dream Theater song seems a bit extreme to me, but I do think it's a great song.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 07:02:54 PM »
Who actually wrote the lyrics? They are the main reason I don't particularly like the song.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline lithium112

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 07:19:42 PM »
JLB wrote the lyrics to PoW.

I think this song is awesome! It probably wouldn't make my top 20 but that's only because there are so many other amazing songs. It, along with the rest of SC, sounds like a song they had fun writing and playing.

Offline 425

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 07:45:54 PM »
Who actually wrote the lyrics? They are the main reason I don't particularly like the song.

You know, you bring up a valid and interesting point. JLB's two forays into political lyrics (POW and Sacrificed Sons) both present views that I pretty strongly disagree with. For whatever strange reason it's never bothered me too much—I still like both songs, though "God on high, our mistake" in SS bothers me to some degree—but I certainly understand why someone else would.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 07:51:24 PM »
I haven't listened to this song in ages. I remember the Portnoy spoken part that was not awesome at all and the profit/prophet wordplay.

8 years ago (!!!) when Systematic Chaos was about to be released someone posted fake lyrics to the song, and they were absolutely hilarious. I hope someone remembers.  :heart
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 07:52:10 PM »
Why would you be so upset at a POV about a senseless act.   No matter where a senseless act happens I question why a human being or a supposed deity would do or allow such a thing.

Talking about SS.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 07:53:53 PM »
Why would you be so upset at a POV about a senseless act.   No matter where a senseless act happens I question why a human being or a supposed deity would do or allow such a thing.

Talking about SS.
Your brand new floor
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 07:55:28 PM »
DL I am totally missing your point but I'm :lol because I'm a fool to miss it! :lol

Also that question was aimed at425.  maybe that was the confusion.  Got to get my butt to bed.  Later!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 08:00:53 PM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline 425

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 08:09:21 PM »

Talking about SS.

The part of that line I don't like is "our mistake." It carries the implication that 9/11 was somehow the fault of America or of mankind in general.

Edit: I should say that aside from that the lyrics to SS are just astounding, simply fantastic. It's only the two words "our mistake" that bother me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:39 PM »
I love Prophets of War aswell; so unique.  ;)

And I'm not sure if I'm alone on this one, but I also think the MP spoken part is one of the best and most epic experimental moments in DTs music which is why I think it can be great to take risks and try a few experimental ideas sometimes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2014, 09:25:06 PM »

Talking about SS.

The part of that line I don't like is "our mistake." It carries the implication that 9/11 was somehow the fault of America or of mankind in general.

I take it as meaning the mistake is humanity killing/fighting each other, causing our own demise, as suggested by the next line of the verse. "Will mankind be extinct?" I highly doubt DT/JLB would imply it was America's fault.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 01:26:51 AM »
^^^^  my interpretation as well ^^^^^^^

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 05:25:46 AM »
Neither do I.

You're quick man, well played.  My thoughts exactly on the thread title.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 06:04:28 AM »

Talking about SS.

I take it as meaning the mistake is humanity killing/fighting each other, causing our own demise, as suggested by the next line of the verse. "Will mankind be extinct?" I highly doubt DT/JLB would imply it was America's fault.

That's how I took it as well and why I asked 425.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 07:27:42 AM »
I've always liked Prophets Of War. I maintain that the production/mix/mastering (whichever's to blame) lets the song down when the riff comes in @1:14, which I feel ought to be absolutely towering the first time it appears but as it is is a little underwhelming.

Also, I could do without the intrusion of the narrative vocals from MP  :-X

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 07:34:00 AM »
One of the few good songs on this album. I've always liked it, especially that big riff at 1:14 and the chants from the fans they brought in.

Plus it has a danceable beat :riskybiz:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline PwnsomeWin

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »
Neither do I.
C'mon man, you really think I didn't see that coming? :P

Offline 425

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2014, 09:36:10 AM »

That's pretty much how I took it (I did say "or of mankind in general," after all). It still doesn't sit right with me, because it says "our mistake" as an inclusive statement that seemingly includes all of humanity. I'm firmly of the persuasion that the blame for 9/11 should be directed exclusively at the terrorists who carried out the attacks and those who taught them the doctrines that led them to do so ("words they preach I can't relate/if God's true love are acts of hate"), so anything that even implies a more general target for the blame, as the word "our" does in that context, just makes me feel rather uncomfortable. 9/11 was not an indicator of "we're all killing each other, oh the mistake of mankind," it was a violent act committed by a specific group of evil individuals.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2014, 11:15:04 AM »
One of the few good songs on this album. I've always liked it, especially that big riff at 1:14 and the chants from the fans they brought in.

Plus it has a danceable beat :riskybiz:

Here is the dance remix:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCdedrXu1wI

Anybody recognize the guy that made that video?

More importantly, where can we get the dance remix?

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
I really wish this song didn't exist.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2014, 12:24:27 PM »
This song is in a constant battle with Burning My Soul for worst DT song. But I'm glad to see someone actually likes it.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2014, 12:37:35 PM »
Burning My Soul isn't that bad.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »
Burning My Soul isn't that bad.
I admit I only listened to it once, but once was enough...

Offline 425

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »
What did you find so repellant about Burning My Soul that you literally listened to it only one time?
And if spirit's a sign,

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
It's silly for sure, but not cringeworthy like Prophets of War.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2014, 12:51:33 PM »
 :lol  BMS is light years better and that's not saying a whole lot.  PoW has a guitar riff very similar to a Foo Fighters song called My Hero.  Not very original and to be quite honest, this song doesn't even sound like DT except for JLB's vocals.  Not sure what they were thinking because it's so far away from everything else on the album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White