Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 71593 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: bl5150's Top 50 ........fogeys arise!........runners up week
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2014, 12:06:46 PM »
I thought I had a pretty good knowledge and range of music until you came on here Brent.  :lol

I have only heard Fair Warning's later stuff, which is pretty decent.  Never really got into Stryper, Chicago or Bonfire.

Pretty awesome update again Brent. Only one I don't know and love is the Chicago. Never really heard them and from how I imagine them they are too light for me.

The rest are staples on the Lowdz' playlists.

When it comes to Bonfire, Fireworks is my favourite, followed by this and Don't Touch The Light, The rest aren't anywhere near the quality of these 3. They went chasing US radio are started to suck - even covering Seet Home Alabama. When they are from Germany  :biggrin:

I'd probably rate this Stryper album behind To Hell With The Devil and In God We Trust. The new one is excellent too. I love the crunchy guitar sound the guys have. I'm no Christian so I listen to them for the music rather than the message in the same way as I can listen to metal bands singing about Satan without being a Satanist.
On the subject of Christian bands I always enjoyed Whitecross. Any love for them here?

Got through the first 2 updates.

Great White - meh... something about Russel's voice is hit and miss for me, and the tracks you listed were a miss.  Heavy?  Sure.  But I'd hardly say this could compare to be as 'metal' as Crue... who's current release would've been Shout at the Devil.

Maybe its because he sounds like Robert Plant - and he's shit  :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2014, 02:05:45 PM »
I faintly remember Bonfire.

Don't think I've ever heard a single song by the Killer Dwarfs. seriously.

The Fair Warning sounds interesting. I will check it out.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2014, 04:56:54 PM »
You're killing me with four and five recommendations per album.  What ... do you think we're all laid up with shattered legs like you!?!?!  I got to get back to work on Wednesday!!  And now that school is done for the jingle.kids, Mrs Jingle actually wants to spend time together in the evenings!!!

Only wanted the first 10 seconds of this ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ilI-OdOj1Y
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2014, 05:08:18 PM »

:neverusethis:

There's a hint re some douche who might be making an appearance later on :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:45:00 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50 ........the main event....#50 - "the black album"
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2014, 10:13:16 PM »
but not that one :neverusethis:

Well that's the runners up done - I think it proved worthwhile.   From here on there'll be a brief honourable mention in each listing with a link to one song if you wish to follow up on it.

#50  Shy: Shy

Released 2011

tracks
1.     Land of a Thousand Lies     
2.     So Many Tears     
3.    Ran Out of Time
4.     Breathe           
5.     Blood on the Line           
6.     Pray           
7.     Only for the Night           
8.     Live for Me           
9.     Over You           
10.     Sanctuary           
11.     Save Me           
12.     Union of Souls 

At a guess I’d be struggling to get into double figures if I was to try and name the albums released since the year 2000 that have seriously impressed me – this is one of only 4 to make this top50 list.  It would undoubtedly be higher if not for a bias towards albums that have impacted me over a longer period of time.Come to think of it I don’t imagine that I would’ve had too many objections if this spot was taken up by Excess All Areas , their classic melodic rock album from 1987. That just makes it all the more amazing that 24 years later, six years after the last record with their regular singer Tony Mills, with main main Steve Harris dying from cancer and with a brand new singer , that they released what I consider to be their best ever (and heaviest) album.

Those who know me are familiar with my apathy towards the vast majority of the cookie cutter , project style releases out of Frontiers etc……….don’t get me wrong, I am grateful that a label has taken on the role of flag bearer for melodic rock/metal music but I’d rather one song off this album than a dozen from most of the others , including bands featuring my favourite artists like W.E.T  This album was on the Escape label btw.

You only need to look at the song titles to know it’s not just another one of “those albums.”  The songwriting shows an effort and imagination that’s lacking on so many similar releases , so although it’s not breaking any new ground stylistically it’s a case of I’ve heard it all before and yet I haven’t.....and that's refreshing these days. So many elements that I like are covered on this album – the lush soundscapes are characterised by (an admittedly one dimensional) heavy keyboard presence and (often) heavy riffing. There’s everything from AOR/melodic rock to songs pushing the borders of prog metal , sometimes all in the one track and always with melody all over the place.  Sanctuary is a good example of a love song taken to a much more interesting place than you might expect.

I can’t say enough good things about it.  Lee Small on vocals is absolutely flawless and has a delivery akin to a lower pitched but equally powerful Glenn Hughes (just for you Paul  :-* ).

This was my album of 2011. And RIP Steve Harris who died only weeks after the release of his best work
Favourite Tracks: So Many Tears, Land Of A Thousand Lies, ,Only For The Night ,Sanctuary , Blood on The Line.

Honourable Mention:  Tommy Shaw - Ambition.     I'm not a huge Styx fan but I like Tommy's voice - this album sees him shine in a more basic AOR setting.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 10:59:12 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Never heard of Shy but like the samples; especially Land of a Thousand Lies.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I have a digital copy of Access All Areas and it's fantastic.  Gotta check this too obviously.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Lowdz

Loved Excess All Areas back in the day, especially the Cliff Richard cover! but they never lived up to that level again until this album. It's an excellent album, especially in light of the trauma involved as you say.
I agree with everything you said there, especially the cookie cutter nature of much of the scene these days, the same writers and players over and over. This album rocks though, and I like that.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Just checked that first Shy track you posted Brent, So Many Tears.  It's fucking killer, needs my attention I think.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Loved Excess All Areas back in the day,

Yeah, me too. I also enjoyed Brave The Storm.

I was intrigued when this came out a few years ago. I actually bought the digital version. Listen to it  a couple of times, but not since. It will be on today's playlist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad you guys are liking the Shy - it's one of only 2 or 3 albums from the last few years that have stayed on rotation for an extended period.  I love it.

Time to go back .........

#49 Vanden Plas : Color Temple
Released April 1994

Tracks

1.    Father   05:40
2.    Push   04:19    
3.    When the Wind Blows   07:12    
4.    My Crying   05:28    
5.    Soul Survives   09:08    
6.    Anytime   07:07    
7.    Judas   06:04    
8.    Back to Me   05:33    
9.    How Many Tears   08:14    
10.    Days of Thunder (bonus- on mine anyway)

This is the indie debut from Vanden Plas  and , unlike their attempts at more epic, concept driven progressive metal on the releases that followed this is pretty much ballsy melodic metal with a progressive edge… it used to be very rare (I had to upload songs again) but not sure what the situation is now.

They do have quite a distinctive sound mostly thanks to vocalist Andy Kuntz but at the same time you can certainly hear some of their influences -Queensryche on songs like When The Wind Blows and Dream Theater on Soul Survives. There’s also hints of Dokken at times.   But then the bonus track Days of Thunder is almost commercial hard rock.

Andy Kuntz’s vocals have improved with time but he’s certainly decent on this album – it’s the musical style here that I think suits them best.  Each of the albums following this contained 2 or 3 songs that I loved (Rainmaker off The God Thing is a freakin monster but the rest was underwhelming) but I always felt they were a touch short on raw talent and ideas to compete in DT’s space and should’ve stuck to their knitting as displayed here or at least been more gradual with the change in styles.   Threshold I think were a band who worked within their limitations whereas Vanden Plas have at times stretched themselves to the point of way too much filler (Far Off Grace being the worst example).

Having said all of the above I think they’ve finally got close to nailing the prog thing on their most recent effort , where they kept it shorter on songs/higher on quality – I rate it around the same (perhaps a touch weaker) than Colour Temple , but seeing as I’m focusing on the most influential albums in my life Colour Temple is certainly the one.  Highly recommended if you enjoy catchy, crunchy melodic metal.  For an indie release at the time , the production is a gem too.

Favourite Tracks:  When The Wind Blows   Push , My Crying,   Father,, Days Of Thunder

Honourable Mention:  Metallica: Master of Puppets -  won't bother linking as it's self explanatory.  Favourite Track: Disposable Heroes.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:23:04 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Finally!  Something I don't have to go and listen to.  Love me VP, and Andy is a very unique and distinctive vocalist.  Rainmaker is indeed a killer track, on an otherwise good album.  I think I'd put my vote towards Beyond Daylight ... that was until 4 months ago when Chronicles came out.  My AOTY so far.  Still loving it.

Good selection.   :tup
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This is the only VP album I don't have.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I've heard of VP, but wasn't familiar with their material.  Songs sound good!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I think you got your pick for #49 and your HM mixed up.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I think you got your pick for #49 and your HM mixed up.

No, he got it right.

As for Shy/Shy... if this is #50, I'm in for a world of hurt with this list.  That was freakin wicked.

Still gotta check out some of the 60-50 albums.

Offline Lowdz

VP are one of those strange bands for me, and it tends to be the Prog Metal bands - I enjoy it whilst I'm listening but there isn't enough melody or variety in it to really stand out. I bought Far Off Grace years ago and enjoyed it, played it alot but couldn't tell you a thing about it. Other albums I tried were very much the same.

Singer's great, all the musicians ar great, but its all a bit of a blur. I could listen to it now and enjoy it but nothing really calls me back to it.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re Metallica ............I'm happy with my decision TAC  :D   To even make HM in my list is a huge honour  :P ;D    I've only ever been a casual Metallica (and thrash) fan and when a thrash album grabs me there's generally a fair slab of great musicianship (esp. lead guitar ) involved. Now unfortunately Hetfield is the best guitarist in Metallica.   I think I , and many others, also have some sort of bias - all things equal - to albums that we bought around the time of release.  When MoP was released I was a 14 yo who was very much into rock , not metal and by the time I started to take interest in metal I was a fairly handy guitarist who had become (and remains) a bit snobbish about the need for good leads and IMO at that time Hammett's solos tended to detract from rather than enhance a song and I viewed him as a guy who used the wah pedal to disguise sloppy playing.

I am not quite so focused on that now but , despite my love of the rhythm work on MoP and some catchy songs , that's still a big factor in why I would tend to grab Rust In Peace instead.   It would've been nice to see a Hetfield/Friedman or Hetfield/Skolnick album I reckon - best of both worlds.  Having said all that , any album mentioned anywhere in this thread was very close to a top 50 spot - we're talking fractional differences here.  The only way I could split a lot of them was on "life influence" and for me that wasn't huge with Metallica even though I love the album.  It's also why a fantastic album like Shy is a bit lower than otherwise might be the case (due to its recent release)

Speaking of the mid 80's...............back we go.

#48 Icon : Night of the Crime
Released 1985

Tracks
1.     Naked Eyes     4:04
2.     Missing     4:30
3.     Danger Callin'     3:40
4.     Shot at my Heart     3:21
5.     Out for Blood     5:41
6.     Raise the Hammer     3:32
7.     Frozen Tears     3:58
8.     Whites of their Eyes     3:46
9.     Hungry for Love     4:17
10.     Rock my Radio     4:14

Icon’s Night of the Crime is a really interesting combination of AOR and metal and a bit of an underground classic in the melodic rock/metal world.  Their debut was pretty straightforward release – all hard rock/metal and established them as a force to be reckoned with.   Stephen Clifford has a very identifiable voice that I really like and Dan Wexler , likewise, is/was a very good guitarist with his own sound – half the battle.

For this, their second album , they went for a much more commercial vibe and introduced well known songwriter Bob Halligan Jr to help on around half the songs and producer Eddie Kramer/ mixer Ron Nevison (Europe, Ozzy, KISS etc..).   The result is a very slick sounding record both in the AOR moments and the rockers.  I have no doubt that fans of the first album were scratching their heads a bit but looked at independently it’s a fantastic group of songs and there’s a real dramatic atmosphere to the album.  Interestingly a large number of the keyboard sounds were done via guitar synth - unfortunately I'm old enough to have been playing when a synth hanging off your guitar was considered cool    :-\

Of course such a good album could only produce one result – it was a commercial flop, the singer gave it away after becoming a born again Christian and they were dropped from Atlantic before the album was even released.  They returned later with Jerry Harrison on vocals ( a much harsher sound) for the very good album Right Between The Eyes.  They also released the much more AOR sounding An Even More Perfect Union….a signed, numbered limited edition which I also have.  Both albums with Harrison contain some killer songs but also far more filler than Night of the Crime. 

One of the great melodic rock/metal bands of the mid-late 80’s and very unlucky not to have been bigger than they were. Rock My Radio is a touch throwaway compared to the rest but there really isn’t a dud track on this.

Favourite Tracks: Whites of Their Eyes, Missing, Danger Calling, Frozen Tears,Out For Blood

Honourable Mention:  Tyketto: Don't Come Easy - a melodic rock classic.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:37:10 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Interesting pick.  I have the first Icon and listen to it often as I think its an awesome 80s straight up metal release.  You were right with this second release, I was scratching my head big time after listening to it.  I'll give it another listen.

Not too many people will know of Icon, I'm sure.

Offline FreezingPoint

Yesterday I clicked on one of your YouTube links for a song by The Storm and through a series of related links I saw this Icon album as a related video. Never heard them before, but I really liked what I heard. Listened to about the first half of the album and will finish it up in the next couple of days.

I had to laugh when it popped up here the very next day. Good stuff.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Welcome FreezingPoint - I remember you from the melodic rock thread when we were discussing Roth I think? .  Good to have another member of the good taste brigade on board  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
I thought this update was going to be Hammerfall. But this album is good, so I'm not even disappointed.  :D
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline FreezingPoint

Thanks!

Saw your selection of DLR earlier in this thread. My favorite album of his, as I think I mentioned before.

Expecting good things from this list, I'm sure there will be a lot to like and a lot I have to listen to. I'm trying to comment in general more often, and am sure there will be things to say here. Looking forward to the rest!
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
re listened to Night of the Crime.  Great stuff!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
re listened to Night of the Crime.  Great stuff!

:tup

Here begins a run of a few more "easy listening" albums , after which we'll be mostly rocking  :metal all the way to the end.

#47 Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse of Reason
Released 1987

Tracks
Signs of Life
Learning to Fly
Dogs of War
One Slip
On the Turning Away   
Yet Another Movie / Round and Around
A New Machine (Part 1)
Terminal Frost
A New Machine (Part 2)
Sorrow

This was actually a very late entry into the Top 50 that resulted from a last minute review of my childhood cassette and vinyl collection......it must've been among my earliest purchases .  As soon as I saw the cassette it triggered memories and , once played, I realised that this album really played a big part in my childhood.  Learning to Fly (and the subsequent tour) did very well in Australia , so I imagine my liking for that song on the radio was the trigger.  I seem to recall playing little else for a few months now that the memories are coming back to me.  It’s always a good sign when you remember every note and melody after not playing something for decades.  Most of the stuff being released these days stays with me for about  5 minutes , if that.

I’ll be honest –  the genre of music into which Pink Floyd generally gets placed (psychedelic, ambient  etc….)  contains very little of interest to me but Pink Floyd have something the others don’t – David Gilmour.  Given that I’ve been a guitar nut most of my life I was bound to stumble onto them at some point and , aside from the odd classic on the radio , this album was my starting point.

I suppose I should quickly address the issue of whether this is a “true Pink Floyd album.”  To be honest I really don’t care – it certainly is to me.   I was 13 years old when this was released and , like many other classic bands that had line-up changes in the 80’s/90’s just as I was discovering them , this is the album that I identify with and as far as I was concerned at the time  Dave Gilmour WAS Pink Floyd.  I’m well aware of Waters’ reputation in terms of poetic writing and brilliant concepts(and spitting the dummy)  but , given my priorities in music, it’s pretty clear to me that the most important “half” of Pink Floyd from my point of view(incl. vocally)  is front and centre on this album and it’s more than possible that  I may even prefer the Waters-less Pink Floyd..  And really – the lyrics on songs like Learning To Fly are more than adequate as far as I’m concerned.

One mystery (given my almost obsessive appetite for discovering new music that I like) is why I never really bothered to go back into their discography properly . . It’s much easier to research a band you know you like.    I think perhaps their legendary status meant that I felt  I could easily put the exercise off until later, knowing that I’d never have any trouble getting my hands on Floyd material , and so I concentrated on hunting things that were more of a challenge to find.  I also had the impression (rightly or wrongly) that AMLOR had a bit more of an “edge” to the guitar sound and was likely to be more compatible with my taste  than their earlier material.

Anyway – back to the music for a second.    Aside from the significant drawback of  being a vocal song or three  short there isn’t too much I don’t like about the album.  The cinematic , atmospheric and bluesy intro sets the scene for the album and perhaps has a Shine On vibe.  Learning to fly is a standout and again the atmospheric bluesy, yet mechanical  vibe sucks me right in.  Aside from some fairly pointless  stuff in amongst the "New Machine’s"  and perhaps Yet Another Movie which  is good  but something I could imagine Phil Collins singing  ,  the remaining vocal tracks are all fantastic , with the standout for me being On The Turning Away.  The melodies and guitar work on this track are magical and I even happened to notice some very well written lyrics in there   :laugh:

On the whole I think the first half is almost flawless (Dogs of War would rate below the rest) and the second half certainly has its moments.  Not a perfect album by any means , but it was a big part of my musical journey and still impresses me now , so it’s deserving of a place.

I will at some point work my way back through the discography properly (with the help of the DTF discog thread) but , however that goes, I can’t imagine songs like Learning To Fly and On The Turning Away being anywhere but right up the top of my favourite PF songs.   

Favourite Tracks:  On The Turning  Away, Learning To Fly, One Slip, Sorrow

Honourable Mention:  Saraya - When The Blackbird Sings (1991) ..........a hot , black (haired) bird who can sing like one too .  My favourite female rock vocalist and a great band.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 05:35:20 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, if you're gonna use the discog threads to learn PF, you better jump in right now, seeing as how we're right in the heart of the best of what they ever did.  This was my first PF release 'as it happened', and still has a special meaning to me (and JUST missed my top 50 - it finished at 53).  On the Turning Way is my favorite track, but I tell you... that opening guitar in Sorrow is something to behold.  Waters may have been a critical ingredient to the 70s era Floyd stuff, but as you mentioned, was going in a different direction than the band wanted to.  Musically and commercially, the differences between The Final Cut and AMLOR show which version was stronger.  Survival of the fittest baby!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Had a go with the first half of Night of the Crime this morning.  Meh...  production sounded a little dated, and it felt kinda generic to me.  Wait... Out for Blood just started.  Nice intro.  Nothing wrong with this, just didn't wow me.

Tyketto... somehow slipped off my radar, and I never went back to check them out.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
"Danger Calling" from Night of the Crime is one of the catchiest songs I've heard in recent memory

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I actually like AMLOR. Only got it within the last couple of years though...

..and Icon?? Wow!
Yup, I definitely remember them but I never got anything by them.

And I never followed Danny Vaughan from Waysted to Tyketto.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
AMLOR is really good.  It's one of those albums that has a certain mood that is inescapable once I start listening, especially the second half of the album.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline FreezingPoint

Re: bl5150's Top 50 ................the main event....#47 - "a new machine"
« Reply #100 on: July 03, 2014, 10:19:09 AM »
Love AMLOR. It maybe even my favorite Floyd album. Just got it on vinyl two months ago as well to continue that collection.

Yet Another Movie is probably my favorite song on that album, followed by Sorrow. Lots of atmosphere in this album, which is something I am really big on.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: July 03, 2014, 10:54:57 AM »
So, back to close off my thoughts on 75-50

Killer Dwarfs... was never a fan.
Chicago ... I know enough, and they're always enjoyable.

On to the new stuff:
Fair Warning... this I liked.
Stryper... I still scratch my head why I don't dive deep into these guys.  I've always liked everything I've heard.
Bonfire... sounded ok, I think.  The production (especially on Waste No time) was a hot mess.  Everything just blurred together.

Phew, ok, now I'm totally caught up. 

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #102 on: July 03, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »
Had a go with the first half of Night of the Crime this morning.  Meh...  production sounded a little dated, and it felt kinda generic to me.  Wait... Out for Blood just started.  Nice intro.  Nothing wrong with this, just didn't wow me.

Tyketto... somehow slipped off my radar, and I never went back to check them out.

tut tut Chad. Tykettoo is awesome! I even sent their best song in your roulette. You have no excuse  :biggrin: And with Bonfire, try Fireworks - its alot better sounding.

I have to say I like the Icon and Pink Floyd (though I'm no big PF fan ) but prefer both your honourable mentions over the actual choice. Saraya's WTBS is a great "proggish" melodic rock album. Its' sort of a hard rock version of Queensryche's Empire (same producer). Their first album was bluesy hard rock so the follow up was a bit of a surprise. They then disappeared. Shame as Sandi Saraya was hot.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #103 on: July 03, 2014, 11:00:00 AM »

yeah, you should change that
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #104 on: July 03, 2014, 02:54:12 PM »
Just checked out Shy.... Holeeeeeee shit...