Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 71636 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event....#32 The Ark of Kamelot..
« Reply #245 on: July 22, 2014, 06:51:33 AM »
Another strong sing that I need to check this band out.  :facepalm:
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #246 on: July 22, 2014, 06:56:58 AM »
Another strong sing that I need to check this band out.  :facepalm:

Use the links (I assume everyone knows I'm linking all the fave tracks for your listening pleasure  ;) ) - if you don't like the linked tracks I doubt you'll like them period.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #247 on: July 22, 2014, 07:01:50 AM »
I had digital copies of a couple Conception albums on my iPod before it crashed a couple of years ago. Never bothered to reaquire.
I tried, but it just didn't take me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event....#31 will paratamize you
« Reply #248 on: July 22, 2014, 07:12:57 AM »

#31 Judas Priest: Painkiller
Released September 1990

Tracks

1.   "Painkiller"         6:06
2.   "Hell Patrol"         3:35
3.   "All Guns Blazing"     3:56
4.   "Leather Rebel"      3:34
5.   "Metal Meltdown"      4:46
6.   "Night Crawler"      5:44
7.   "Between the Hammer & the Anvil"  4:47
8.   "A Touch of Evil"     5:42
9.   "Battle Hymn" (Instrumental)0:56
10.   "One Shot at Glory"  6:46

Aside from selected songs off Screaming For vengeance thru Turbo I was never a huge Priest fan prior to Painkiller , so my recollection of the time at which Painkiller arrived Is a bit scratchy but I’m pretty certain that  they were at that point (following Turbo and Ram It Down) considered by most to be a band that was no longer a leader but a follower and basically washed up. What it was exactly that happened in order to produce this brutal return to form I’m not sure , but the addition of Scott Travis and his capabilities was obviously a big part of it. 

Access to this style of music on radio was almost nil as I was growing up , so no doubt I first heard Painkiller on 3RRR radio – a local independent station that was about the only place I could hear this type of thing.  I recall the host making a huge deal over the new Priest album and thinking “yeah,yeah” because he’d done the same thing over Ram It Down but when I first heard the album preview tracks he had (Painkiller , Nightcrawler and A Touch OF Evil) I was pretty much floored.  It was an amazing combination of fierce metal, melody and catchy songs – so right up my alley.  It also has that sort of atmospheric element to it that helps an album stay with you ……..I could almost imagine being stalked by some weird being as I listened to Nightcrawler  or imagine a fierce battle during One Shot At Glory , which , if forced to choose, is probably my favourite track.  It’s a bit of a shame that this was their last album with Halford for ages but what a way to go out!   A classic album that is chock full of my favourite Priest songs.

I am yet to work my way back to pre-SFV days -  I will at some point but it’s pretty rare for me to maintain interest deep into the 1970’s.   SFV and DOTF are both great albums but don’t match up to Painkiller .  The only song that comes close for me (and it may still be my favourite Priest song ever ) is The Sentinel.  But as  an album Painkiller stands alone.

BTW I still dunno what “paratamize you” means – I imagine this online definition is ah…..tongue in cheek   :biggrin: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=paratamize

Favourite Tracks (no links- I'm sure you know em): One Shot At Glory, Painkiller, Nightcrawler, A Touch of Evil

Honourable Mention: Warrant : Dog Eat Dog
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event..#31 will paratamize you
« Reply #249 on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:38 AM »
Painkiller is absolutely stunning. I could not believe my ears when it was released. Incredible. Their live show on that tour was great too.

Saw Warrant in both a club and arena in 1989 and they excelled live in both types of venues. Very enjoyable live. But studiowise, I was not a fan, and have never bought a Warrant album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #250 on: July 22, 2014, 07:29:58 AM »
Priest was one of those acts that passed me by.  As I explored rock/metal music in the 80s, I always just assumed they'd be too heavy/thrashy for me - I think one of my first listens of them was the song Painkiller, and Robbie's pitch/tone/screams were just too much for me at the time.  For whatever reason, I just never made the effort to return to them.  Just re-listened to the song, and musically it's the tits; vocally Rob still makes me wince.

Dog Eat Dog is so unlike DRFSR and Cherry Pie. So :2metal: with a couple of ballads (that were crap imo) thrown in for good measure.  It was like the what Skid Row did between their s/t and Slave to the Grind - they went glammie/commercial to make their name known, then went all metal (which I assume is their natural sound). However, I stopped following them afterwards - went off to University, and lost track of most of my beloved glam/hair metal bands.  Any recommendations on post DED albums?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: July 22, 2014, 07:35:39 AM »
There's 3 or 4 good songs on Ultraphobic - I still haven't properly listened to the Robert Mason stuff , but I do like his voice.

Jani Lane was a cut above as a songwriter though and it's a shame he's best known for Cherry Pie.  Even on that album Mr Rainmaker, Uncle Tom's Cabin and I Saw Red are top notch.  I have various boots around of Jani's solo stuff like Jabberwocky but can't remember if it's any good - Paul might remember.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #252 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:07 AM »
I will say that I love Uncle Tom's Cabin.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #253 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »
So far................

#50 : Shy-Shy
#49: Vanden Plas- Colour Temple
#48: Icon: Night of the Crime
#47: Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse of Reason
#46: Noiseworks-Noiseworks
#45: Red Dawn-Never Say Surrender
#44: Annihilator-Never Neverland
#43: Place Vendome-Place Vendome
#42: Riverdogs-Riverdogs
#41; Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy
#40: Armored Saint: Symbol of Salvation
#39; Bon Jovi: Slippery When Wet
#38: Metal Church: Hanging In The Balance/Blessing In Disguise
#37: Angra: Angels Cry
#36: Elegy: Supremacy
#35: Gary Moore: Wild Frontier/Corridors of Power
#34: Stratovarius: Fourth Dimension
#33: Threshold: Psychedelicatessen
#32: Conception: In Your Multitude
#31: Judas Priest: Painkiller

Possibly a bit more metal than might have been expected from me but the rock/metal balance is about to even out a bit more from here.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #254 on: July 22, 2014, 08:05:11 AM »
I had digital copies of a couple Conception albums on my iPod before it crashed a couple of years ago. Never bothered to reaquire.
I tried, but it just didn't take me.

Yeah this. I'd take Threshold over them. Ark didn't float my boat either.

Painkiller is mid tier Priest for me but that  still means its a fine album. A bit too heavy for me at the time but its been a grower.

Warrant's Dog Eat Dog is a great hair metal album. Jani Lane was a great songwriter, not given the props he deserves because, well,  he  was in Warrant and wrote Cherry Pie (in about the time it took to play it through once - that takes skill).

Been listening to the DC Cooper album too. Very,very good and another purchase I'm going to be stung for  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: July 22, 2014, 08:07:45 AM »
I will say that I love Uncle Tom's Cabin.

This.  So.  Much.  Absolutely fabulous song, easily my favorite from them.

Well, I'm 10/20 on the list so far (which I'm pleasantly surprised about) .... though I didn't have the specific Elegy or Strat albums, but do have a bunch from them; and Conception I have listened to a few times, but don't own the album.  Someone else had it on there Top 50 ... checking - Mister Gold.  Recently too.  I got Under and Mourning Star from YtseBitsySpider in my first roulette.  Excellent track.

Great list so far.  Probably the second best Top 50 I've seen.  :neverusethis:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #256 on: July 22, 2014, 08:21:47 AM »
Great list so far.  Probably the second best Top 50 I've seen.  :neverusethis:

Thanks for the compliment, it really means a lot to me, Chad. :neverusethis:
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #257 on: July 22, 2014, 08:42:56 AM »
It was like the what Skid Row did between their s/t and Slave to the Grind - they went glammie/commercial to make their name known, then went all metal (which I assume is their natural sound).

I don't know why you'd assume that. Both albums sound equally natural to me. Bands evolve, and bands were especially evolving quickly during those few years coming into the '90s.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #258 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:51 AM »
It was like the what Skid Row did between their s/t and Slave to the Grind - they went glammie/commercial to make their name known, then went all metal (which I assume is their natural sound).

I don't know why you'd assume that. Both albums sound equally natural to me. Bands evolve, and bands were especially evolving quickly during those few years coming into the '90s.

I wouldn't call the Skid Row s/t overly Commercial/Glammy. Sure it was catchy, as Youth Gone Wild and 18 And Life were huge. It's a fairly solid debut. Definitely not as heavy as Slave, but to J Boy's point, I'm sure the heaviness of Slave definitely scared a lot of the fickle fans off.

Skid Row spent all of 1989 opening for Bon Jovi's New Jersey tour, which basically was everything for them. They would then jump on Aerosmith's Pump tour. I truly believe the Bottle Incident set them back as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=109IvSmPLsY

Language NSFW!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: July 22, 2014, 09:02:14 AM »
I saw them on the Pump tour, and when they opened for GnR for Use Your Illusion.  My point was that the jump from Cherry Pie to Dog Eat Dog was a pretty big leap in heaviness (just like Skid Row-Slave to the Grind) - exactly as Tim pointed out that it might have put some people off that were into the 'commercial-ness' of thes bands before those albums.  When you look at how SR followed up with Subhuman Race, it's easy to see that their s/t was the lightest and most accessible of the bunch.  I just made the assumption that Warrant may have followed that same path, but don't know any of their subsequent releases after DED.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #260 on: July 22, 2014, 09:06:13 AM »
I saw them on the Pump tour, and when they opened for GnR for Use Your Illusion. 
Saw Warrant open for Paul Stanley on his club tour and Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood tour.

For Pump, we got Skid Row.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: July 22, 2014, 09:31:57 AM »
I saw them on the Pump tour, and when they opened for GnR for Use Your Illusion. 
Saw Warrant open for Paul Stanley on his club tour and Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood tour.

That's what I meant... that we got SR for Pump and UYI tours.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #262 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:20 AM »

That's what I meant... that we got SR for Pump and UYI tours.

For UYI the first time through, we got Soundgarden. Would've preferred Skid Row.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #263 on: July 22, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »
There's 3 or 4 good songs on Ultraphobic - I still haven't properly listened to the Robert Mason stuff , but I do like his voice.

Jani Lane was a cut above as a songwriter though and it's a shame he's best known for Cherry Pie.  Even on that album Mr Rainmaker, Uncle Tom's Cabin and I Saw Red are top notch.  I have various boots around of Jani's solo stuff like Jabberwocky but can't remember if it's any good - Paul might remember.

I have heard Jabberwocky and it didn't do anything for me. Very light, acoustic-y stuff iirc.
Post DeD there's only the last album, with Robert Mason on vocals, that's any good. It's sort of AC/DC-ish hard rock but pretty good.

Ultraphobic was a write-off for me. Detuned grungey bandwagon jumping shite on the whole. One decent track on it that I remember- something about child abuse I think but its so long since I listened to it I don't remember.

Cherry Pie is a great album and the song is fine for what it is. Its not claiming any kudos for poetry or musical complexity. Its a pop song with dodgy lyrics aimed at MTV and it did what was intended. Though as they say, be careful what you wish for because it made them and ruined them in one go.

They were just maturing. The first albums these bands were kids. They were a few years older by their 3rd albums. Also there was the backlash factor against hair metal by that point and those bands were accused of being wimpy. By album 3 they heavied it up. Add Extreme (took them to their 4th album) and Winger to the list too with Pull, though they weren't really a hair metal band, they just disguised themselves as one to get a deal and radio/MTV exposure.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: July 22, 2014, 05:17:11 PM »
I just checked out a couple of those Conception tracks, they were so good.  Looking online though, seems all their albujms are out of print and prices are crazy.  Might have to settle for digital copies.

Painkiller, well that was number 16 or something on my list so....

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: July 22, 2014, 05:24:42 PM »
I just checked out a couple of those Conception tracks, they were so good.  Looking online though, seems all their albujms are out of print and prices are crazy.  Might have to settle for digital copies.

If there's something like that you'd kill for in CD quality , PM me and I'll see what I can do re getting you a CDR. 

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2014, 05:28:52 PM »

If there's something like that you'd kill for in CD quality , PM me and I'll see what I can do re getting you a CDR.

I'll have a better look around, and check out some more songs, if they are all quality, who knows, I might splash out and bite the bullet.  I've done it many times before.

Also, I just checked that DC Cooper song, that was fucking killer too.  What are you doing to us Brent??

EDIT:  I'm 11/20 so far.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:35:31 PM by wolfking »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #267 on: July 22, 2014, 06:57:27 PM »

And shipping charges shouldn't be too unreasonable!!!  :lol

Kade... I Grooveshark'd that DC album this afternoon.  All I got to say is

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #268 on: July 22, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »
Glad you like the DC - always been my favourite album with him on.   Members of PC69, Conception and Vanden Plas too , so.... :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: July 22, 2014, 07:21:05 PM »

And shipping charges shouldn't be too unreasonable!!!  :lol

Kade... I Grooveshark'd that DC album this afternoon.  All I got to say is

lol, yeah, unlike that killer website you showed me that how me spending my money until the shipping costs were calculated!

Yeah, I had a listen to a couple of the tracks from the DC album and it's excellent.  That one seems easier to find at reasonable pricing.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #270 on: July 22, 2014, 08:48:56 PM »
Painkiller is the definition of heavy metal.

As far as Warrant goes, I've always been a casual fan, and found them above alot of their contemporaries.    Uncle Toms Cabin is a phenomenal track and easily the best they've done.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #271 on: July 22, 2014, 09:04:13 PM »

17, but who's counting?   :lol
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #272 on: July 22, 2014, 09:37:19 PM »

17, but who's counting?   :lol

Hmmm......close enough.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event..#30 ..where dragons rule
« Reply #273 on: July 22, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »

#30 Crimson Glory: Transcendence
Released: November 1988

Tracks
1.    Lady of Winter   04:00    
2.    Red Sharks   04:52    
3.    Painted Skies   05:16    
4.    Masque of the Red Death   04:15    
5.    In Dark Places   07:03    
6.    Where Dragons Rule   05:07    
7.    Lonely   05:18    
8.    Burning Bridges   06:32    
9.    Eternal World   03:54    
10.    Transcendence   04:34    

When the origins of progressive metal are discussed the names like Queensryche and Fates Warning (deservedly) come up but I rarely hear Crimson Glory mentioned – I would tend to elevate them into that group of bands that were frontrunners in the 80’s and set the scene for DT to take it to the next level in the 90’s..   And nobody could accuse them of not having their own sound either – there’s no more unique vocal than that of the mighty Midnight and their guitar sound was a very distinctive harmonised sound that , along with the fantasy style lyrics, really worked for the music.

I like all of their first 3 releases – I rate Transcendence as the most consistent but the debut and Strange and Beautiful each have some fantastic moments.   Strange and Beautiful seems to cop a lot of criticism but if you listen with an open mind and without preconceived ideas of what the band should sound like I think it probably has more top notch songs on it than the debut.

A great band and Midnight would have to be one of the more unique, passionate and classic voices of metal ever. RIP.  :hefdaddy

Favourite Tracks:  Lonely , Where Dragons Rule, Painted Skies, Masque of the Red Death

Honourable Mention: Von Groove - Chameleon .......Chad should be onto this.  The album was also released as "Mission Man" with a slightly inferior track listing.  Top notch Canadian hard rock and for those who know LRS (recent release) this is the drummer from LRS handling vocals and drums.  There's a video clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSOlOCSrb0M that I didn't know existed, but I used a different link above as the sound is crap.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50.........the main event..#30....where dragons rule
« Reply #274 on: July 22, 2014, 10:06:43 PM »
Easily Crimson Glory's greatest album, pure metal perfection.

Gotta check Von Groove.  As you mentioned Brent, I only know the name from LRS.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #275 on: July 22, 2014, 10:13:40 PM »
Easily Crimson Glory's greatest album, pure metal perfection.

Gotta check Von Groove.  As you mentioned Brent, I only know the name from LRS.

Von Groove's first 3 are worth a look -  the debut had a couple of ripper tracks (House of Dreams for one) but was way too long and full of filler and the third (Test of Faith) almost sounds like a different band (think John Farnham Whispering Jack style AOR) but is very good.  Their later albums I find rather uninspired.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:18:53 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #276 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21:25 PM »
was expecting dragonforce

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #277 on: July 22, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »
I've noted a few times that I don't appreciate speed for the sake of speed in power metal and the whole double kick to the ends of the Earth, so don't place any bets on them appearing. . I actually don't mind them from time to time in small doses though , but near Top 50 in a 3000 CD collection?  Ah...no ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 10:29:51 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: July 22, 2014, 10:28:46 PM »
That Von Groove song kicks fucking ass.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #279 on: July 22, 2014, 10:38:20 PM »
The first two Crimson Glory releases are metal perfection. I tried many times to get into S&B, but just found it boring and such a drastic change.

If Crimson Glory stayed with their original sound and actually released material on a semi regular basis, they would have been a much bigger force.