Author Topic: bl5150's Top 50.........TOP TEN ...#1  (Read 69615 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
An excellent choice!  I'll take the Odyssey over it, but only by a slim margin.

Y&T... like Stryper, I love them every time I listen to them, but don't have anything in my library from them.  Another act that just slipped by me.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
been out for a few days but looking really good here;

Noiseworks deserves more attention, they were an amazing rock band and that album is killer.

I have a digital copy of that Red Dawn and it's excellent.

Love taht Annihilator.

That first Place Vendome album is melodic rock heaven.

Symphony X is of course classic.

Don't know Riverdogs but love Campbell so I should fix that.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Besides the debut, you cant go wrong with any Symphony X.  This one is a classic

Y&T is a very underrated band.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm not a huge Sym X guy but Divine Wings is definitely my fave from them.

Like the Y&T mention but for Ten???
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

I'm not a huge Sym X guy but Divine Wings is definitely my fave from them.

Like the Y&T mention but for Ten???

Pound for pound Ten is probably my favourite Y&T album. Think I put Mean Streak in my top 50? Love Ten though. And after a couple of less awesome albums (Contagious was downright shit!) it was a welcome return to form.

The SX is fine. They lack melody for me but they're ok.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, Ten would be my fav from them too.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to see you back Kade - I needed you a couple of days back when I was copping it re Noiseworks  ;D

Re Y&T I obviously agree with you guys that Ten is their most consistent.  I love Meniketti but the best I can do with the old albums is make a cracking compilation from them - just a couple of tracks from each float my boat.  I linked to the track Surrender but I think Red hot & Ready is probably the track that brings back the memories for me - must've got plenty of airplay.

Anyway..................here's how we stand after the first ten in the Top 50.

#50 : Shy-Shy
#49: Vanden Plas- Colour Temple
#48: Icon: Night of the Crime
#47: Pink Floyd: A Momentary Lapse of Reason
#46: Noiseworks-Noiseworks
#45: Red Dawn-Never Say Surrender
#44: Annihilator-Never Neverland
#43: Place Vendome-Place Vendome
#42: Riverdogs-Riverdogs
#41; Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

And on to #40

#40 Armored Saint: Symbol of Salvation
Released: May 1991

Tracks

1.    Reign of Fire   03:57    
2.    Dropping Like Flies   04:39    
3.    Last Train Home   05:19    
4.    Tribal Dance   04:07    
5.    The Truth Always Hurts   04:20    
6.    Half Drawn Bridge   01:26     instrumental
7.    Another Day   05:32    
8.    Symbol of Salvation   04:36    
9.    Hanging Judge   03:45    
10.    Warzone   03:38    
11.    Burning Question   04:18    
12.    Tainted Past   07:04    
13.    Spineless   04:19    

Good old 1991 -1992 ……..and another classic.  Speaking of “classic” , very few metal bands were playing this classic style by the time the 90’s came around….a refreshing  “nod to the old school”.  So count me very pissed off when Armored Saint called it quits after this fantastic album – John Bush IMO was far more suited to this style than Anthrax and is/was one of the best metal singers ever.

Sadly (aside from very minor parts rescued from demo tapes on Tainted Past)  the album did not feature Dave Prichard who passed away from leukemia just prior to recording – he did play a large  part in the writing of many of the best songs , including full credit for Reign of Fire – one of my all time favourites. He was replaced by Phil Sandoval – ex member and brother of drummer Gonzo. This , like the Shy album ,is a great example of triumph in adversity because it certainly brought out the best in them.

The last track Spineless is appropriately named as it’s pretty weak  , but the rest is catchy, melodic, heavy metal –just the way I like it.   All in all ,this thing rocks from start to finish and is the crowning achievement of this band (one of the most under rated ever) and John Bush. The fact that bands such as Anthrax and Fates Warning pounced on band members  also speaks volumes.

Metallica’s “black album” swamped just about every other metal release in 1991 but I know what I’d be listening to if given the choice. (I do like TBA btw)

Favourite Tracks: Reign of Fire, Tainted Past , Burning Question, Symbol of Salvation

Honourable Mention:  Lionsheart- Lionsheart .    These guys made 3 good albums but I've gone for the debut mainly because of the linked track (Portrait) which is a big fave with me and one of the biggest guitar sounds ever laid down.  It's based on the Dorian Gray story.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 08:23:46 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Armored Saint is one of the most underrated metal bands ever.  This, along with March of the Saint, are my favorites from the band.  But all of their releases are awesome.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Think I put Mean Streak in my top 50?

Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Lowdz

Think I put Mean Streak in my top 50?

:tup

Thanks Stato!  :biggrin:

That Armored Saint passed me by back in the day but was (I think) a TAC recommendation which proved to be excellent.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to see you back Kade - I needed you a couple of days back when I was copping it re Noiseworks  ;D

Bastards, just went back and read their posts. *shakes fist*

Paul and Chad, you guys should check out a couple of songs, it's actually really great stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Know of Armoured Saint, but don't know anything by them.  Another obscure band (relatively speaking) that didn't get any airtime up here, so I never latched on to them.  Will listen.

I'm pleasantly surprised that I'm 4/10 on the first batch of albums.  I'm predicting I'll finish in the low/mid-20s.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This is the only VP album I don't have.

I fixed this problem on the weekend.

I'm 6/10.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Good old 1991 -1992 ……..and another classic.  Speaking of “classic” , very few metal bands were playing this classic style by the time the 90’s came around….a refreshing  “nod to the old school”.  So count me very pissed off when Armored Saint called it quits after this fantastic album – John Bush IMO was far more suited to this style than Anthrax and is/was one of the best metal singers ever.

Sadly (aside from very minor parts rescued from demo tapes on Tainted Past)  the album did not feature Dave Prichard who passed away from leukemia just prior to recording – he did play a large  part in the writing of many of the best songs , including full credit for Reign of Fire – one of my all time favourites. He was replaced by Phil Sandoval – ex member and brother of drummer Gonzo. This , like the Shy album ,is a great example of triumph in adversity because it certainly brought out the best in them.

Hell YES!! :metal
Just listened to Raising Fear last night.

One of the greatest live bands I've ever seen. The amount of energy emanating from John Bush is unbelievable. The guy is a one man nuclear reactor on stage. Shame about Dave. The guy was fuc#ing very cool. Saw them a bunch of times back in the day including twice on this tour.
But most memorable was the last time with Dave. Jeff Duncan was already in the band and they played reign Of Fire and Spineless. So at least I got to see him perform a couple of the SOS tracks. And Gonzo was the heaviest drummer I've ever seen. Standing not far from his kit, you could feel the ground shake and my chest thump.

SOS made the TAC Top 50 too. I freaking love this album. This is one of those albums where a band goes "next level". We were talking about how cool Blackie sounds in the other thread yesterday, but John Bush has such a unique voice and delivery. Not to mention the fact that he's a GREAT lyricist.
The opening verse to Tainted past is one of my favorite lyrics ever:
"The cynical view that has been taken
Is blowing my mind
I can't seem to piece it all together
I guess it takes time to unwind
To let the dust settle
And let cooler heads prevail"

Here's a shot of John on top of a stack at the Living Room in Providence. I believe they are playing NIB when I took this pic.

Various shots taken 1988-1989

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Just had a spin of SoS.  Really really nice.  Given how much I'm likely to be wow'd by your list, I'll file this one away as a 'maybe'.  Shy and Red Dawn are already purchase-worthy, so I gotta pace myself, or I'll be putting up another huge list in the 'rate my haul' thread in a month.  My iPhone already requires some deft management to get the songs on there I want, and my 120GB iPod is almost full.

Now on to Lionsheart.

Offline Lowdz

I own 7/10, have heard 9/10 and love 5/10. In your eyes, in your mind, I'm 2/7  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Lionsheart was fabulous!!  Fabulous early 90s melodic metal.  Sounded like a harder/edgier version of Great White.  Can't put my finger on what vocalist (maybe Jack Russell?) he sounds like, but I loved it. 

That's all.  Carry on.

Offline Lowdz

Missed the Lionsheart link. I've got that cd buried in the attic somewhere. Totally forgotten about it but seem to remember i liked it. Vocals a bit metal Coverdale-ish?
Going to have to look for it at the weekend. Got to sort my attic out to make it easier too. Bloody kids - life was so much easier  :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Missed the Lionsheart link. I've got that cd buried in the attic somewhere. Totally forgotten about it but seem to remember i liked it. Vocals a bit metal Coverdale-ish?
Going to have to look for it at the weekend. Got to sort my attic out to make it easier too. Bloody kids - life was so much easier  :biggrin:

Or you could just do this - https://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Lionsheart/6703255

Offline Lowdz

Or you could just do this - https://grooveshark.com/#!/album/Lionsheart/6703255

Can't do that inn the car though, and that's where most of my listening is done these days. And I get paid for it  :biggrin:
Good album though - just been listening on Youtube. Listened to some Grim Reaper and Onslaught too. Lionsheart is the best though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I own 7/10, have heard 9/10 and love 5/10. In your eyes, in your mind, I'm 2/7  :biggrin:

Fuck yeah, great post.

Age of the Joker has actually grown on me and I actually spin it quite regulary.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Good to see the discussion (and cool photos) that Armored Saint/Lionsheart generated.  Apologies for a short break in transmission - my body is doing its best to slow me down at the moment.  Apparently it doesn't like a 75 hr working week on minimal sleep while rehabbing mutiple leg fractures and has now thrown migraines at me.  So I've taken the hint and slacked off a bit the last 24 hrs.

The first Lionsheart album is probably the best known but the rarely mentioned 2nd (Pride In Tact) and 3rd (Under Fire) have some great songs too , although nothing quite as huge as Portrait  - Under Fire features the guitarist from Tyketto (Brooke) going a bit more hard rock.

Here's a couple of samples from each album

Deja Vu  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbQoacaLc_Q
Gods of War (from Pride In Tact) :  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXgvtMz8rjA 

Devils Train  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUQScLV6JT0
Let The Children Play (from Under Fire) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg5kJrK8B_M

I'm going to spend the day today listening to my current #39 artist to be sure, to be sure.  Update later today.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:03:56 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey Brent tried to send you a PM, but box is full

Sorry to hear about your injuries; hope things get better soon

Just want to pass along thanks for mentioning Night of the Crime.  I bought it and its an outstanding release; one of the best melodic rock discs I've heard.

I still think their debut is one of the best pure metal releases of the 80s; what did you think of that one?  Jason

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks Jason - I enjoy introducing people to good music (as if you can't tell) so I'm glad you liked it and yeah - the Icon is pretty iconic  ;D   I definitely liked the debut but didn't think it was quite in the same class as Night Of The Crime. Quite different albums though,huh?  As I mentioned in my review there's also some good stuff on their later albums with the different singer.

Here's a couple of samples from the albums as mentioned in my write up:

Holy Man's War (from Right Between The Eyes- more hard rock)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Oa2WulzylI  - note the cameo by Alice Cooper .
Far Cry  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ajm5StR3VM

Eyes Of a Prisoner (from An Even More Perfect Union - more AOR)  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcfdkNdUnDc

Both of those discs cost me a small fortune back in the day.

Given the criteria I laid out (most influential albums/artists) I expect all you guys to know most of the albums as we get deeper into it - although I still have a couple of tricks up my sleeve in the top 50.  Most of the rare stuff , now that we're through the runners up , will be melodic rock and in the HM's.   I'm slowly killing off my chances of ever winning a roulette with you guys  ;D

Mail box is clear now (sorry) - 25 messages isn't much of a capacity and it can fill up before you know it.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:43:05 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm slowly killing off my chances of ever winning a roulette with you guys  ;D

Mail box is clear now (sorry) - 25 messages isn't much of a capacity and it can fill up before you know it.

Unlikely given this quote:

3000+ albums from 1300+ artists spanning mid 70’s to current  (the majority of which I rate highly) 

I don't think it's necessarily the number of messages, but the size of them - unless XJ changed the limits for new members.  I've got 99 messages, and only 66% full.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'm at 148 messages, 98.7% full, because I'm lazy and only clear them out when I need to. That's consistent with jingle's figure for a limit of 150, not 25.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
You guys are both Alumni though, probably why you have huge inboxes. I only have room for 50.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I didn't even realize it wasn't consistent for all user groups. That would make sense.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I'm at 148 messages, 98.7% full, because I'm lazy and only clear them out when I need to. That's consistent with jingle's figure for a limit of 150, not 25.

You are not lazy my friend.  I do know what you are though. :biggrin:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
My limit is 25 messages too, and I've been around a couple of years.  Didn't realise you bad boys had massive boxes.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Well, there's a thread you can post in to get into a usergroup based on when you joined, you just have to reply to it and then wait a really long time. The one I'm in has basically no requirement, anyone can get into it, so at the very least you guys could double your PM limit. Perhaps more if you are entitled to be in a higher group.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Well, there's a thread you can post in to get into a usergroup based on when you joined, you just have to reply to it and then wait a really long time. The one I'm in has basically no requirement, anyone can get into it, so at the very least you guys could double your PM limit. Perhaps more if you are entitled to be in a higher group.

Thanks man.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50........the main event....#39 -speed bump ahead
« Reply #172 on: July 10, 2014, 08:39:24 PM »

#39  Bon Jovi : Slippery When Wet
Released: August 1986

Track listing

1.   "Let It Rock"     5:27
2.   "You Give Love a Bad Name"  3:42
3.   "Livin' on a Prayer"     4:09
4.   "Social Disease"  4:18
5.   "Wanted Dead or Alive"  5:08
6.   "Raise Your Hands"     4:16
7.   "Without Love"     3:30
8.   "I'd Die for You"     4:30
9.   "Never Say Goodbye"  4:48
10.   "Wild in the Streets"  3:54

I’ve spent a lot of time – for the first time in many years- listening to the first four Bon Jovi albums over the last day or two.  Firstly to decide which album gets priority and second , whether I want to leave them in the Top 50 at all.  Mention of their name these days induces a rolling of the eyes and various less than complimentary adjectives cross my mind.  There’s various reasons for that but 20+ years of releasing crap and the distinct impression that I’d want to knock JBJ’s dentures out the back of his scone if I got to know him are a good start.

Unfortunately if I banned every tosser who had been releasing crap for the last 20 years……..well.

As I listened to these albums a few things became clear:

-   Based on the criteria I set out they deserve their spot , probably higher – but I feel better with them down here  :laugh:

-   Tico Torres is a better than average rock drummer

-   Despite many of my favourite tracks being on the debut and New Jersey , SWW is by far the most influential in my life and the most consistent….and Bad Medicine has too much cringe factor..

-   The key to the Bon Jovi music I like is that Richie Sambora was just as prominent in the music as JBJ – I’d almost forgotten the degree to which he’s all over these albums with his pick slides, harmonics, artificial harmonics and whammy bar work etc…….and how important that was to the music for me. The minute he became part of the backing band for JBJ’s corporate country rock housewife crap is when I switched off. So I basically have nil interest in anything post New Jersey.

Half of the members of the forum here probably weren’t even born the last time Bon Jovi rocked  , but “Slippery” really was a big part of the soundtrack of my childhood and spawned a number of massive singles – Livin On A prayer, You Give Love A Bad Name , Wanted Dead or Alive. Without Love, Never Say Goodbye. 
It’s hard to think of too many other rock albums that were so huge for so long – it set all kinds of records including “first rock album to feature three top 10 singles” and “first rock album to chart #1 with a #1 single concurrently” .  It’s also hard to believe that Polydor had told them that this album was their absolute last chance – big singles or you’re gone.  I recall Bruce Springsteen labelling them a “5 minute wonder” around this time too.

I think Bon Jovi on the New Jersey tour (supported by Roxus) was also my first gig which adds some sentimental value   - either that or Satriani Flying In A Blue Dream tour which were both 1989.  This live recording of Runaway in the mid 80's is a good timestamp on the Bon Jovi that I enjoyed. To make the write up more appealing I’ve used the original cover art too  ;D  - it was actually released in Japan that way .

Favourite Tracks:  Raise Your Hands, Let It Rock , Living On A Prayer, Wanted Dead or Alive, Wild In The Streets (no links - sure everyone knows them whether they like em or not)

Honourable Mention: White Lion-Pride : talking of bands where the guitarist just gets them over the line with me.  Vito   :hefdaddy  I like a few tracks off each album - right back to All The Fallen Men off Fight To Survive - but Pride seems their most consistent.  Never made a truly great album IMO.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: bl5150's Top 50........the main event....#39- speed bump ahead
« Reply #173 on: July 10, 2014, 08:47:29 PM »
I wore out my SWW album that I had to get a second album. :lol  so many great tunes. 

Also Pride is a killer album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: bl5150's Top 50........the main event....#39- speed bump ahead
« Reply #174 on: July 10, 2014, 08:49:30 PM »
Bon Jovi is too chick rock for me.  I can tolerate the songs from the first few albums on the radio, but would never get any of their discs; especially the new tripe.

White Lion never did much for me.