Poll

Pick One!

Sector 1 - Rush/FBN/COS/2112
Sector 2 - AFTK/HEMI/PEW/MP
Sector 3 - SIG/GUP/POW/HYF
Sector 4 - Presto/RTB/CP/TFE
Sector 5 - VT/S&A/CA

Author Topic: Favorite Rush "Sector"?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline The Letter M

Favorite Rush "Sector"?
« on: June 25, 2014, 10:29:46 PM »
Plain and simple, and I didn't think I've seen this poll on here anywhere before, so I figured why not now.

As it stands, each "Sector" has four albums, although if you exclude the covers album, the sectors tend to have about the same amount of music (by minute) since their last three albums all exceed 60 minutes each. The breakdown:
Sector 1 ~ 161:30
Sector 2 ~ 149:09
Sector 3 ~ 177:40
Sector 4 ~ 207:58
Sector 5 ~ 196:04

Well, by "about the same amount", it's really a wide spread between 150 and 200 minutes, although this is prog - length isn't everything, but those stats are just there for comparison's sake. ANYWAYS, which grouping of albums is YOUR favorite? I'll have to sit and think upon my choice for a little while.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Favorite Rush "Sector"?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:41:04 PM »
Sector 2. I could never get into their early albums or the 80's synth stuff, and only a couple of albums in the post-1990 appeal to me. On the other hand, I like all four albums in Sector 2. So, this is a no-brainer.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:57:06 PM »
I'm voting for Sector 2, and don't really see any way that's not going to win. After that things get really tough.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:01:23 PM »
Option 2 will obviously win in a rout, but I voted for the synth era simply because it's vastly underrated by a portion of the fanbase, it always needs more love, and it is probably the "sector" I've listened to the most over the last few years.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 11:17:52 PM »
Sector 2, though I have more love than most for the synth era, especially Power Windows. Sector 2 though, damn, look at those albums.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:23:58 PM »
I like all the Rush stuff from what I've heard, but so far it seems 2112-MP is the best era. So that means sector two in this poll. I don't think I'll ever change my mind on this in the future, but I might.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 11:43:51 PM »
In all honesty, I really enjoy Sector 5 the most.  I don't have a distinct reason for it.  Maybe it's because everyone keeps saying that Sector 2 is the best Rush era (and rightfully so), which means that, as a result, I can't really connect well enough without looking a little sheepish.  Another reason I enjoy Sector 5 is because that is the age where I got into music around that time period.  Also, the live performances in the DVDs of those songs are really top-notch, especially the Snakes & Arrows songs where I had the most amount of enjoyment from it.  So yeah.

Edit: And that's 400 posts for me.  Awesome.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 11:49:01 PM by Anguyen92 »

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »
Sector 2 definitely. It's missing 2112, but just look at it. A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres by themselves would make the cut, but then there's also Moving Pictures. :hefdaddy

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 01:03:07 AM »
I imagine that it's quite unusual that Grace Under Pressure is my favourite Rush album, but the run of albums it's listed in is more variable in quality than the AFTK->MP run. I can't, in all good conscience, vote for an era that produced Tai Shan  :loser:

Regardless, the run of Rush albums going from 2112 through to Vapor Trails (after the remix/remaster) is remarkable. To sustain that level of quality for that amount of time, for that many albums, with that amount of a drift in their writing style is impressive. Most impressive.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 01:12:52 AM »
Sector 2, all their greatest albums.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 03:50:46 AM »
Really hard for me to choose between two and three. I've come to love the synth era
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 04:32:04 AM »
Red sector A :neverusethis:

No, really, as Sene above me said, hard decision between 2 and 3. I've come to love the synth era.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 05:19:24 AM »
Sector 3, by quite a lot actually.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 05:21:29 AM »
A great question. Easily #2 for me. I would've gladly been a lifelong Number #1 fan of THAT band. Signals was the first studio album I bought after becoming a fan, and shocked at how different it was. That was it. Rush would fade into oblivion for a number of years after that.

That said, I find that I enjoy a lot of the synth era nowadays. Mostly because it has catchy well written choruses.

Really?? Wow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2014, 05:24:56 AM »
As time goes on, I just find myself being more and more of a fan of the synth stuff.  I love the older stuff, but the 80's albums just scratch me where I itch.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2014, 05:26:43 AM »
Definitely the 2nd sector.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2014, 05:27:21 AM »
As time goes on, I just find myself being more and more of a fan of the synth stuff.  I love the older stuff, but the 80's albums just scratch me where I itch.

I actually completely understand.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 05:30:13 AM »

I actually completely understand.

:hat

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 06:29:30 AM »
Sector 2. MP and PEW are in my top 3 so no contest there. Secontr 3 would have been my second choice.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 06:42:53 AM »
Here is something controversial...

1. Sector 3
2. Sector 4
3. Sector 5
4. Sector 2

5. Sector 1

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 06:50:38 AM »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 08:25:11 AM »
length isn't everything
True.  Girth is also important.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 08:43:52 AM »
I had a hard time deciding between sectors 2 and 4... 2 has some of their greatest albums, but I don't like AFTK that much (*puts flameshield on*). 4, on the other hand, includes my favorite album (Counterparts) and some other great albums too. In the end I went with the latter, because 2 is winning by a landslide anyway. I like the synth era albums a lot as well, but they aren't along my absolute favorites.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 09:16:08 AM »

a bit of a gap between 2 and 3, mostly because 2 had three of my top 17 albums (all four albums would have been in my top 50 had I not limited it to three per band).  But they are all strong in their own way.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2014, 10:17:45 AM »
Option 2 will obviously win in a rout, but I voted for the synth era simply because it's vastly underrated by a portion of the fanbase, it always needs more love, and it is probably the "sector" I've listened to the most over the last few years.

Sector 3 vastly underrated, so true.  I'm torn between 2 and 3.  Became a fan during 3 (PW), but the musicianship during 2 was superior especially during the 3 album stretch from Hemi through MP.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2014, 12:39:35 PM »
As a whole, Sector II is the best all around group but my favorite Rush Album is in Sector III.

length isn't everything
True.  Girth is also important.

Ask Ron Jeremy because how else would he use his tool if didn't hit these criteria's.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2014, 01:34:12 PM »

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2014, 02:38:40 PM »
As much as I love their classic period, I feel like they improved in the 80s and were more focused, for lack of a better word. Also, Neil became a much better lyricist and Geddy's voice greatly improved. Granted, this was tough as Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures, two of my favorites, were included in Sector 2. But the run from Signals to Hold Your Fire is nearly flawless so I went with Sector 3.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »
Sector 2. As much as I love Sector 3 it can't quite compete with AFTK, PW and MP. And side 2 of Hemispheres  :biggrin:

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2014, 04:21:26 PM »
Sector 2 for me, but 3 is close behind.  Love the synth era

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2014, 05:26:35 PM »
Sector 2. As much as I love Sector 3 it can't quite compete with AFTK, PW and MP. And side 2 of Hemispheres  :biggrin:

Hmmmm, that gives me an idea for another fun poll. :biggrin:

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »

You sure us old farts will remember? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »

I mean, I have any number of Rush-album-related-poll ideas swimming through my head, but this was the first I wanted to post. I could've done groupings of 3, which makes some sense, at least through the Mercury years:
Rush-FBN-COS (all their early stuff, very LZ-inspired)
2112-AFTK-HEMI (the growth of proggy stuff)
PEW-MP-SIG (concise but still very proggy stuff)
GUP-POW-HYF (more synth-concentrated, more concise)

After that, it get's a bit off with groupings like Presto-RTB-CP and TFE-VT-S&A, which leaves CA out in the cold.

But at least with these groupings, there'd be a huge split between the 2112-AFTK-HEMI crowd and the PEW-MP-SIG crowd, I'm sure, especially since it splits Sector 2 down the middle. The former has the upper hand by having 2112 in it, but the latter has Signals and for those who love PEw and MP but not the other two Sector 2 albums as much, they have their two faves plus a different one.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2014, 07:43:26 PM »
This was an easy one.  Seeing as how 2112 + Sector 2 is (IMO) the best 5 album run by any band in the history of ever, it's no contest.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2014, 10:23:04 AM »
Shockingly, I wasn't the only one to vote 5.

But as I've repeatedly said over the years, I'd put Vapor Trails, Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels up against anything they've ever done before that. Almost inexplicably with this band's track record how that can happen, but the evidence speaks for itself.