Author Topic: Any love for BC&SL?  (Read 11070 times)

Offline Grizz

Re: Any love for BC&SL?
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2014, 10:38:31 PM »
The band did a distorted version of the song at some shows, which some fans have called "Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden" for it's influences of Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Tool and Soundgarden. The distorted version became the basis of many musical themes for New Millenium. The two songs were eventually melded into Caught in a New Millenium.
Uh, Caught in a New Millenium was a mashup of Caught in a Web and New Millenium.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #71 on: June 22, 2014, 10:50:53 PM »
The band did a distorted version of the song at some shows, which some fans have called "Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden" for it's influences of Alice in Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Tool and Soundgarden. The distorted version became the basis of many musical themes for New Millenium. The two songs were eventually melded into Caught in a New Millenium.
Uh, Caught in a New Millenium was a mashup of Caught in a Web and New Millenium.

Indeed, but the origin of that comes from the fact that "New Millennium" came from an inspiration-ridden jam of "Caught In A Web".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq-kU6IFPC4

It could be said that these influences of Alice In Chains, Nine Inch Nails, Tool, and Soundgarden were used to formulate the song "New Millennium". Among other things, songs on FII have other influences from the band, like the various U2-esque sounds from the album and it's b-sides.

EDIT - some stuff pulled from the mp.com FAQs page:

Will Dream Theater ever write an album without an "inspiration corner?" faq id: 14
MP: There's always been an "inspiration corner" - it's just that we usually don't share it with people. From day one, there's always been CDs that we've carried with us for inspiration. But it was only with Scenes and Six Degrees where we made it public. It wasn't even supposed to be a big deal, but it ended up being this big center of discussion between the fans. Instead it really just was supposed to have been a passing tidbit of information, it wasn't supposed to be this big thing that people were going to use to try to anticipate the direction of the album.

Was Anna Lee inspired/influenced by Elton John’s music? faq id: 210
MP: When we wrote Anna Lee, we specifically listened to both "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" and "Rocket Man" for inspiration.

What served as inspiration corner when Dream Theater did When Dream and Day Unite? faq id: 283
MP: I remember we were listening to Operation: Mindcrime *a lot* - it was a big influence on us for that album.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 11:01:14 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2014, 11:06:58 PM »
Oddly enough, BCaSL is the first album DT did where they specifically did NOT have an inspiration corner.

I find this funny because I recall MP saying the following about BC&SL:
"[It's] a Dream Theater album with 'A Change of Seasons', 'Octavarium', 'Learning to Live', 'Pull Me Under' and 'The Glass Prison' all on one album."

They essentially referenced themselves as inspiration!  :lol

Well maybe not DIRECTLY (and let's keep the ADTOE/IAW issue out of this thread), but I found it funny that MP touted their then-new album around like that. Surely he meant that TCOT was their new 8VM (the big closing epic), TBOT from ACOS (both about MP's parents), AROP from PMU (the 8-minute metal single), TSF from TGP (the closer of the 12SS), and I *suppose*, ANTR from LTL (although I don't really see how that fits at all as a comparison).

I guess if one goes back to see what the band's favorite albums of 2008-2009 were, it might be easy to draw some conclusion about which albums were used as inspiration.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Siddhartha

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2014, 02:01:04 AM »

I think they've had an "inspiration corner" for a LONG time, but were never really vocal about it until the SFAM/SDOIT-days. I'm sure there were some major influences during FII considering how different that album sounds compared to their first three.

Bon Jovi?

:biggrin:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2014, 02:12:18 AM »
Lol. I hope that wasn't a serious comparison, because DT has never sounded like Bon Jovi.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 06:42:08 AM »
Lol. I hope that wasn't a serious comparison, because DT has never sounded like Bon Jovi.

Although the vocals during the verses of Through Her Eyes sound kinda like those of a Bon Jovi song.  "Never Say Goodbye", maybe?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »

Although the vocals during the verses of Through Her Eyes sound kinda like those of a Bon Jovi song.  "Never Say Goodbye", maybe?

At a stretch, I guess they have sorta similar vocal phrasing, but I'm pretty sure no Bon Jovi album has ever been included in "inspiration corner". :lol

That's not a knock on Bon Jovi of course! I'm a big fan of the 80s stuff. :hat

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2014, 08:31:41 AM »
Never say goodbye......RROOOOOOOOAAAAAARRRRR!!!!!!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2014, 08:45:24 AM »
You Give Prog A Bad Name  :P
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2014, 08:55:18 AM »

Prog already did that for itself. :neverusethis:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2014, 08:56:05 AM »
I always thought that pieces of Status Seeker (specifically the chorus) sounded like something that could have been done by Runaway-era Bon Jovi.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »

Lay Your Prog On Me
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2014, 10:40:12 AM »
Lay Your Time Sigs On Me

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2014, 11:16:10 AM »
Wanted Dead or Alive or Reincarnated ad nauseum
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2014, 11:26:04 AM »
Slippery when Prog
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2014, 11:45:05 AM »
I like it but it ranks low.  Higher than DT12 but not as high as ADTOE.  Not too crazy about TBOT (although JP's solo sort of saves it in a way).  ANTR is mostly pretty good and even though I can appreciate cookie monster vocals, they just don't fit into this song.  The most important aspect of BC&SL is that the closing epic is really good despite the fantasy lyrics.  Overall, it's not a bad album.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: June 23, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
Never Say 4/4

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: June 23, 2014, 05:20:20 PM »
Jon Bon Jooooooooooooooooooooovi

Offline George Eliot

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »
Like a lot of other folks here, BC&SL is a mixed bag for me.  Lyrically, it seems MP and JP had a rough time.  For me, it seems they tried to spruce up mediocre ideas with flowerly words in some cases.  Most notably in ANTR.  I view the story as uninteresting lacking in a climax (especially for a large epic) but the chorus is lyrically beautiful.

As a side note, I think that might be why JP wrote Wither.  I think he was really struggling for good song lyric ideas.  Don't get me wrong, I love most of JP's lyrics, but I think it's apparent he struggled here.

MP struggled with his lyrics as well.  The conclusion of any concept album needs to be powerful and contain the same energy it started with, but the AA Suite just didn't do that for me when it ended with TSF.  I remember reading somewhere that MP admitted that the idea sounded great when they started it in SDoIT but as it rolled on it became a chore through subsequent albums.  TBoT, for me, was also underwhelming.  I feel bad about this because I know this was the ode to his Dad, and emotionally, I bet it was a roller coaster for MP to write.  But for me as a listener, it just doesn't grab me and I don't feel the emotion he probably intended.  Perhaps I will feel differently when my own dad passes.

I have one exception to the lyrics though, and that is with ARoP.  I think the idea of secret societies and Freemasonry was captured well here and is very interesting.

Musically, I think the album does a lot better then it does lyrically.  TCoT takes me to a place no other DT music can.  Lyrically, I think it is better than ANTR (though marginally) because there is a sort of climax and it reminds me a lot of the Edger Allen Poe story "The Cask of Amotillado", but the music... WOW.  Wither, I really love and i think it is one of their best ballads, and ANTR is heavy and brooding with a gothic twist, and ARoP is right up there with OTBoA and PMU for me.  I love it.  The two portnoy songs are still a struggle though even musically.

Overall it sits at about the middle of their catalog for me.  There are definately things I love about it but also some things I don't.  Thankfully, the 3 disk edition contained instrumentals of all the songs.  ;D
"Some of them hated the mathematics that drove them, and some were afraid, and some worshiped the mathematics because it provided a refuge from thought and from feeling." -John Steinbeck 'The Grapes of Wrath'

Offline Grizz

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
Lyrically, WHO IS THE GODDAMN DANCING STRANGER AND WHY DID HE DRIVE THE PETRUCCI'S TO DECIDE TO LEAVE EARLY
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2014, 06:47:58 PM »
Like a lot of other folks here, BC&SL is a mixed bag for me.  Lyrically, it seems MP and JP had a rough time.  For me, it seems they tried to spruce up mediocre ideas with flowerly words in some cases.  Most notably in ANTR.  I view the story as uninteresting lacking in a climax (especially for a large epic) but the chorus is lyrically beautiful.

As a side note, I think that might be why JP wrote Wither.  I think he was really struggling for good song lyric ideas.  Don't get me wrong, I love most of JP's lyrics, but I think it's apparent he struggled here.

*snip*

I have one exception to the lyrics though, and that is with ARoP.  I think the idea of secret societies and Freemasonry was captured well here and is very interesting.

Musically, I think the album does a lot better then it does lyrically.  TCoT takes me to a place no other DT music can.  Lyrically, I think it is better than ANTR (though marginally) because there is a sort of climax and it reminds me a lot of the Edger Allen Poe story "The Cask of Amotillado", but the music... WOW.  Wither, I really love and i think it is one of their best ballads, and ANTR is heavy and brooding with a gothic twist, and ARoP is right up there with OTBoA and PMU for me.  I love it.  The two portnoy songs are still a struggle though even musically.

Overall it sits at about the middle of their catalog for me.  There are definately things I love about it but also some things I don't.  Thankfully, the 3 disk edition contained instrumentals of all the songs.  ;D

You just made me think about something that probably relates to why I like this album so much. It's to do with lyrics being a secondary consideration to me. Don't get me wrong, some songs are simply MADE from expression and creativity in the lyrics, but truely I think some beautifully poetic lyrics tend to get wasted on a boring repetitive progression. Music comes first and that's what most of my attention is on. In fact, I probably nearly fully developed my initial impressions and opinions on the album after merely a couple of listens in which I don't even think I knew what any of the songs were about, other than the symbolism and imagery that I got from them. I didn't go read about them on the interwebz until much later. The music is certainly interesting enough because after hearing this album; is what got me hunting for all the DT material I could get my hands on. Although I'm sure someone else would argue the music was uninspired also.  :justjen

I like your assessment of Wither. I never really thought about associating the irony of the subject matter, with how the rest of the songs turned out lyrically. Personally I never took too much issue with the lyrics even after understanding them, just seemed more like a contrast to the 'fantasy' lyrics of SC to more experiential content.

Similarly, I also always thought A Rite of Passage was quite a well crafted piece, specifically lyrically. The phrasing and the rhymes are well done, and upon first hearing had quite a mysterious vibe to it that only lost momentum the more I listened and broke it down.. But there's still something special about that song. ;)

Finally, gotta love the instrumental versions.  :metal I was pretty stoaked when ADTOE had instrumental versions as well. And was ultimately disappointed when they stopped this trend at DT12. Whaddup guys? Those instrumental stems were awesome! I see the Japanese release of DT12 seems to have and instrumental version of The Enemy Inside. Well now I know these versions exist. How come you no release them this time DT!!../rant over.  :'(

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
Lyrically, WHO IS THE GODDAMN DANCING STRANGER AND WHY DID HE DRIVE THE PETRUCCI'S TO DECIDE TO LEAVE EARLY

The "uninvited stranger" was obviously the Count of Tuscany.  The start of the album has JP as a kid while the end is him as an adult, meeting the count once more.

- Marc.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 07:32:17 PM by The Letter M »

Offline Grizz

« Reply #92 on: June 25, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »
This man was also a wine maker... Petrucci didn't want the wine, 'cause he escaped The Glass Prison with Portnoy, making it The Shattered Fortress... did Italy have Freemasons?

CONCEPT ALBUM PROOF

Offline George Eliot

« Reply #93 on: June 25, 2014, 08:06:27 PM »
You just made me think about something that probably relates to why I like this album so much. It's to do with lyrics being a secondary consideration to me. Don't get me wrong, some songs are simply MADE from expression and creativity in the lyrics, but truely I think some beautifully poetic lyrics tend to get wasted on a boring repetitive progression. Music comes first and that's what most of my attention is on. In fact, I probably nearly fully developed my initial impressions and opinions on the album after merely a couple of listens in which I don't even think I knew what any of the songs were about, other than the symbolism and imagery that I got from them. I didn't go read about them on the interwebz until much later. The music is certainly interesting enough because after hearing this album; is what got me hunting for all the DT material I could get my hands on. Although I'm sure someone else would argue the music was uninspired also.  :justjen

I like your assessment of Wither. I never really thought about associating the irony of the subject matter, with how the rest of the songs turned out lyrically. Personally I never took too much issue with the lyrics even after understanding them, just seemed more like a contrast to the 'fantasy' lyrics of SC to more experiential content.

Exactly my feeling, music first, after all we are listening to music, not poetry readings.  However, it is nice that the DT members are talented in both areas.  I think that quality is one of the keys to their lasting charm and devoted fan base.

And thanks.  I think Wither will prove to be one of the pivital songs that shows the history/story of the DT saga.

The "uninvited stranger" was obviously the Count of Tuscany.  The start of the album has JP as a kid while the end is him as an adult, meeting the count once more.

- Marc.

:tup :tup  that is brilliant!  Wish I'd thought of it  :facepalm:
"Some of them hated the mathematics that drove them, and some were afraid, and some worshiped the mathematics because it provided a refuge from thought and from feeling." -John Steinbeck 'The Grapes of Wrath'

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2014, 06:09:40 AM »
Just sharing my thoughts here: Some people rightfully mentioned that JP wrote the lyrics for awful lyrical efforts such as A Nightmare to Remember or The Count of Tuscany. But you need to remember that sometimes, the music is to blame.

ANTR's music is awesome throughout, sure (maybe a bit repetitive or dull at times but that's just me, I barely like BCSL altogether). But during the TOT -> BCSL era, I feel that DT slightly lost the adjust the music and the lyrics they write separately so that they would fit together.

"Day after day" section was horrible in my opinion, but that's mostly because it was a very intense section with amateur, almost chlidish growls that simply did not fit those lyrics. Imagine it if James sang it in a soft, melodic ballad mood.

Also, remember that time when MP posted the same segment with James singing in the background? It was still very intense, but if MP did not growl in that snippet, it would've been a pretty awesome section with James singing in his usual high pitched voice, like here: https://www.blobvandam.com/ANTR_JLB.mp3

Same goes for The Count, if the singing wasn't so "in your face", even that part where James and MP sang "Let me introduce my brother" would've been more bearable. But it sounded like they almost tried to shout it.

I personally do think that MP is mainly at fault here, but that's just my observation I guess. Mainly because DT went right back into the progressive core of the band, and wrote much better lyrics, right after he left. But who knows, maybe JP simply had a writer's block for like 7 years and suddenly came out of it, then felt like writing prog songs. I dunno.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2014, 07:24:15 AM »
As much as I really want to try and love Black Clouds more than I do, it's flaws are very much in-your-face and obvious that I can't ignore them and have to take them into account.

I don't think there's much doubt that MP is mainly responsible for the direction  DT were taking right up until his departure. BC&SL sounds like a continuation of the ideas there were developing on SC, but amplifying the "sludge" and the dark vibes each has going on. That's not to say there aren't lighter moments (we have the entire intro and outro to TCOT of course, and much of TBOT), and I like the title of the album in that respect because there are a lot of heavier moments I do enjoy on this album as well, and the juxtaposition of the these elements, while not executed the best or in the most graceful way, is something I think this album actually has going for it.

Regarding the lyrics, George Eliot is definitely on to something. Wither is, lyrically, about the struggles of song-writing and writer's block. As a writer myself, it's something I can closely relate to. TSF and TBOT aside, it tempts me to say that this is evident in the lyrics for the other songs, namely the most mentioned, ANTR and TCOT. AROP aside, a common theme of the album, lyrically, seems to revolve around personal experiences, which is an idea that I would have liked so much more had it been executed with more polished lyrics and less ridiculous vocal approaches...

Bringing me to the controversial "screams" and "growls". For one, I don't believe there to be any actual screams on this entire album, not in the way metalcore or death metal bands approach it at least. Even the harsher vocal styles of other artists such as Devin Townsend or Agalloch are more abrasive than what's done on Black Clouds. This might be just me, but I don't think there are any actual screams, though it wouldn't surprise me one bit if that was a sound that MP was trying to emulate. I'd much rather dub these "roars" honestly. :lol I could tolerate them on their own, but what really kills it for me are they lyrics behind them. Not even so much that the lyrics are sub-par, but that they simply don't feel like they belong naturally with harsher vocal melodies (the ever famous: DID THEY EVER SEE THE RED LIGHT?). I thought this stuff was cool when I first heard the albums, but then again, it was one of my first DT albums. Now I can't help but listen to these moments slightly abashed.

I remember reading that MP stated his favorite album of of 2007 was Between the Buried and Me's Colors. I love the album as well, but his interest in this style at around this time might serve as another indication for DT's musical shift over those years up until he left, and I don't think it's much of a coincidence that the guys returned to a more traditional sound with ADTOE. Hell, I remember reading an article that someone linked on the forum somewhere where one of the guys openly stated feeling more free now that MP is gone.

Now, I'm not against DT doing any particular style or sound, so long as they do it right. With Black Clouds, it's a mixed bagged for sure. There are moments that I just don't like whatsoever, but also moments where I believe they're at some of their best. By DT standards, it's still a pretty average album and one I don't spin as much as others in their discography, but hey we got TCOT out of it.

Offline 425

« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:44 AM »
I don't think there's much doubt that MP is mainly responsible for the direction  DT were taking right up until his departure. BC&SL sounds like a continuation of the ideas there were developing on SC, but amplifying the "sludge" and the dark vibes each has going on. That's not to say there aren't lighter moments (we have the entire intro and outro to TCOT of course, and much of TBOT), and I like the title of the album in that respect because there are a lot of heavier moments I do enjoy on this album as well, and the juxtaposition of the these elements, while not executed the best or in the most graceful way, is something I think this album actually has going for it.

See, I've never understood the bolded part one bit. BCSL really seems much more to me like a return to a more serious, traditionally proggy style of songwriting as opposed to the bombastic, sometimes silly experimental songwriting of SC. Sure, both are among the heavier albums in DT's discography, and they have the largest share of MP vocals, but I think that's really where the commonalities end. There's no song like Constant Motion or The Dark Eternal Night or Prophets of War on BCSL—not even close. Those songs are all—for better or for worse—experimental. Each has its own songwriting style that is different from the typical "complicated music and big melodies" Dream Theater style.

Constant Motion is a high-octane song that centers around the duetting voices of Mike and James. Like if I were asked "what is the main feature of Constant Motion?" my response would be "vocal tradeoffs between MP and JLB." There's no song on BCSL that's even a little bit like that. Sure, there's a lot of Mike on the album, but it's never about those fast-paced tradeoffs (JLB: "Focus here focus there, cannot see the light" MP: "Falling down through the night" JLB: "sprawling everywhere, searching left searching right" MP: "Panic setting in, I can no longer fight" etc). Mike takes one lead part (without any type of tradeoffs) on the whole BCSL album and the rest of the time backs for  the purpose of atmosphere.

The Dark Eternal Night is basically built around "let's see how macabre a song we can make. Also let's use complex rhythms." There's not a single song on BCSL that even approaches the macabre vibe of TDEN or the use of complex rhythmic music (in fact, for all the complaints about the BCSL album and about "disjointed instrumental sections"—BCSL does not feature a single one of those!).

Prophets of War's gimmick is being this kind of bombastic 6-minute track that has basically every influence the band could think of thrown in. It's got a dance beat, it's got gang vocals, it's got Queen vocals, it's got a rap, etc. There's nothing on BCSL that includes any random outside influences like these!

Basically, my point is that SC is a gimmicky album. This is not intended to necessarily be a negative statement; it's very possible to like the inherent gimmicky nature of the album! It's fun, it has a lot of new styles for DT and a lot of different outside influences thrown in. But the fact is that BCSL is not in any way a continuation of that gimmicky style. BCSL is a return to the Dream Theater idea of prog + metal—writing long, heavy, melodic compositions with a number of different sections. And this is not to say that anyone is right or wrong to like one and not the other or to like both or to hate both. I'm just saying that I disagree that it is an album in the same or similar style as SC.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2014, 11:35:23 AM »
When looking from 8V to SC, the differences are quite clear. The end of the Meta-album series marked a definite shift in style, and while it can be argued that DT in general has done this many times before, I find it much easier to pair SC and Black Clouds together in my head for their similarities. I can't help but imagine that if MP had stayed with the band somehow, we'd have gotten another album similar to Black Clouds instead of what we got in ADTOE.

There are no single songs on Black Clouds that feel too similar to SC, with the exception of AROP. If that song were on SC instead, I wouldn't have questioned it and thought it fitted well enough in there. Other than that, the similarities aren't really in whole songs to me (we have tracks running on 13+ minutes each, so that'd be hard to do without being monotonous), but rather in the drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages that each song has to offer, namely in ANTR and TSF, the majority of AROP, and even a little bit in TCOT. I believe it's only towards the end of the album where the heaviness lets up.

I'm not saying the two albums are identical by any means, but they're probably the most similar in DT's catalog, at least consecutively, which makes total sense as MP's influence over their sound began to grow more and more.

Offline Grizz

« Reply #98 on: June 27, 2014, 01:59:06 PM »
Didn't DTF just have a large discussion in which the same people that commonly blame MP for the change in styles in the early RR days also tried to discredit his musical contributions?

Offline 425

« Reply #99 on: June 27, 2014, 02:15:57 PM »
I hate to come off as antagonistic, because I'm not angry and don't mean any ill-will or anything, I just feel pretty confident about my judgement on this one, which comes out in my writing style.

When looking from 8V to SC, the differences are quite clear. The end of the Meta-album series marked a definite shift in style, and while it can be argued that DT in general has done this many times before, I find it much easier to pair SC and Black Clouds together in my head for their similarities. I can't help but imagine that if MP had stayed with the band somehow, we'd have gotten another album similar to Black Clouds instead of what we got in ADTOE.

I agree that there are clear differences between 8VM and SC, but then I think there are clear differences between every Dream Theater album and every other. Nevertheless, I think it's worth noting at least that there are some parallels between the structures of 8VM and of SC, more so than there are between the structures of really any other pair of DT albums. Both end on two long tracks and start with an 8-9 minute high energy piece. The penultimate song on both albums is a ballad with a high-energy instrumental section which many people view as disjointed. The song before this one on the album has something approaching a dance beat. I'm pointing out there parallels not to say "OMG THEY REMADE OCTAVARIUM" but to point out that you can see these things about this pair of albums just as easily as you can say them about SC and BCSL, and to support the idea that there really wasn't a more radical shift between 8VM and SC than there was between SC and BCSL or really any other pair of DT albums.

There are no single songs on Black Clouds that feel too similar to SC, with the exception of AROP. If that song were on SC instead, I wouldn't have questioned it and thought it fitted well enough in there. Other than that, the similarities aren't really in whole songs to me (we have tracks running on 13+ minutes each, so that'd be hard to do without being monotonous), but rather in the drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages that each song has to offer, namely in ANTR and TSF, the majority of AROP, and even a little bit in TCOT. I believe it's only towards the end of the album where the heaviness lets up.

I wouldn't even say that about AROP. AROP just sounds to me like it belongs on BCSL because it's one of those that really heavily makes use of a gothic vibe and vocal harmonies, neither of which is an attribute of SC but both of which are attributes of, say, A Nightmare to Remember.

But even so, with the instrumental passages, there's not that much stylistic overlap between the instrumental sections of those two albums. Certainly no more than there is between those of BCSL and, say, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence or Train of Thought (or, dare I say, A Dramatic Turn of Events, an album which I strongly believe to be way more of a sequel to BCSL than BCSL is a sequel to SC).

Basically if "drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages" is your criterion for saying two Dream Theater albums are similar... that's not really sufficient reason. SDOIT has "drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages" on several songs (TGP, BF, TGD). Train of Thought has "drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages" on literally every song except Vacant, and I don't see how SC's instrumental sections are more similar to those of BCSL than ToT's. In fact, I'll go ahead and make the bold claim that in this regard Train of Thought is MORE similar to BCSL than SC is, because ToT's instrumental sections tend to be centered around guitar and keyboard solos and unisons, as do BCSL's, while SC's instrumental passages are often based around what I would describe as piling up a variety of heavy and often chaotic riffs (TDEN, ITPOE2, TMOLS).

I'm not saying the two albums are identical by any means, but they're probably the most similar in DT's catalog, at least consecutively, which makes total sense as MP's influence over their sound began to grow more and more.

And I'm going to say I really can't see that. I think the songwriting changed fairly dramatically between SC and BCSL to a decreased focus on experimentation and wackiness accompanied by an increased focus on atmosphere and melody. And I think this change in focus continued on to ADTOE, though there was certainly a shift in songwriting between that pair of albums as well.

As for most similar back-to-back pair... I'm not even sure what I would say for that, because each album is kind of its own thing, but I would probably say 8VM -> SC or BCSL -> ADTOE...  Those ones feel like more natural pairs to me from a purely musical perspective (not from the perspective of the band's history with members, labels, etc). Most similar to BCSL... I would call that one kind of a crossover between ToT and ADTOE, actually, if I had to describe it in terms of other DT albums.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: June 27, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
Not sure what you see as commonality between BC&SL and ADTOE.  Night and day to me.

Of course, I agree with you completely about not much in common between SC and BC&SL.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #101 on: June 27, 2014, 03:03:19 PM »
Didn't DTF just have a large discussion in which the same people that commonly blame MP for the change in styles in the early RR days also tried to discredit his musical contributions?

Guess I wasn't a part of it. :lol Besides, I'm not really trying to discredit his contributions to the band.

I agree that there are clear differences between 8VM and SC, but then I think there are clear differences between every Dream Theater album and every other. Nevertheless, I think it's worth noting at least that there are some parallels between the structures of 8VM and of SC, more so than there are between the structures of really any other pair of DT albums. Both end on two long tracks and start with an 8-9 minute high energy piece. The penultimate song on both albums is a ballad with a high-energy instrumental section which many people view as disjointed. The song before this one on the album has something approaching a dance beat. I'm pointing out there parallels not to say "OMG THEY REMADE OCTAVARIUM" but to point out that you can see these things about this pair of albums just as easily as you can say them about SC and BCSL, and to support the idea that there really wasn't a more radical shift between 8VM and SC than there was between SC and BCSL or really any other pair of DT albums.

The thing is, these similarities between 8V and SC are more structural similarities rather than musical or stylistic similarities. I agree, that any thought can be stretched out to mark commonalities between two albums, but what I hear between SC and BC&SL are musical similarities.

But even so, with the instrumental passages, there's not that much stylistic overlap between the instrumental sections of those two albums. Certainly no more than there is between those of BCSL and, say, Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence or Train of Thought (or, dare I say, A Dramatic Turn of Events, an album which I strongly believe to be way more of a sequel to BCSL than BCSL is a sequel to SC).

Basically if "drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages" is your criterion for saying two Dream Theater albums are similar... that's not really sufficient reason. SDOIT has "drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages" on several songs (TGP, BF, TGD). Train of Thought has "drawn-out, heavy, instrumental passages" on literally every song except Vacant, and I don't see how SC's instrumental sections are more similar to those of BCSL than ToT's. In fact, I'll go ahead and make the bold claim that in this regard Train of Thought is MORE similar to BCSL than SC is, because ToT's instrumental sections tend to be centered around guitar and keyboard solos and unisons, as do BCSL's, while SC's instrumental passages are often based around what I would describe as piling up a variety of heavy and often chaotic riffs (TDEN, ITPOE2, TMOLS).

Maybe I failed to word my thoughts correctly. Yes, "drawn-out", "heavy", and "instrumental passages" can be attributed to a plethora of DT albums, not just SC and BC&SL. I think with those two, something about JP's guitar tone is similar, more so than on other albums. I'm no major in music theory, so forgive me for lacking fancy words in describing this, as I only know to explain music in how it feels more than anything. I keep on using the word "sludgy" when describing the guitar sound in these two albums, where in albums like TOT, I feel a word like "crushing" is more appropriate. On TOT the riffs feel thinner yet more driving and fueled, while those in SC and BC&SL feel "fatter" with more distortion. It's a very minute difference, and one I don't expect anyone to agree with. This is just what my own ears hear so it's quite possibly others might describe it differently. The vocal approaches in both albums I feel also share some common traits, being a slight departure from JLB's usual high notes and soaring melodies (with obvious exceptions of course).

And I'm going to say I really can't see that. I think the songwriting changed fairly dramatically between SC and BCSL to a decreased focus on experimentation and wackiness accompanied by an increased focus on atmosphere and melody. And I think this change in focus continued on to ADTOE, though there was certainly a shift in songwriting between that pair of albums as well.

As for most similar back-to-back pair... I'm not even sure what I would say for that, because each album is kind of its own thing, but I would probably say 8VM -> SC or BCSL -> ADTOE...  Those ones feel like more natural pairs to me from a purely musical perspective (not from the perspective of the band's history with members, labels, etc). Most similar to BCSL... I would call that one kind of a crossover between ToT and ADTOE, actually, if I had to describe it in terms of other DT albums.

I agree that each album has its own feel to it. I still consider SC to be SC and Black Clouds to be Black Clouds, not SC = B&SL. I just feel that some ideas on SC were carried over into BC&SL and that the two to me were similar enough to make them stick out in my mind as somewhat of a pair. By no means, however, do I consider them identical or being even almost the same.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: June 27, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
BCSL >>> SC, just my opinion.  8V is somewhere between those two.

Offline 425

« Reply #103 on: June 27, 2014, 03:22:35 PM »
Maybe I failed to word my thoughts correctly. Yes, "drawn-out", "heavy", and "instrumental passages" can be attributed to a plethora of DT albums, not just SC and BC&SL. I think with those two, something about JP's guitar tone is similar, more so than on other albums. I'm no major in music theory, so forgive me for lacking fancy words in describing this, as I only know to explain music in how it feels more than anything. I keep on using the word "sludgy" when describing the guitar sound in these two albums, where in albums like TOT, I feel a word like "crushing" is more appropriate. On TOT the riffs feel thinner yet more driving and fueled, while those in SC and BC&SL feel "fatter" with more distortion. It's a very minute difference, and one I don't expect anyone to agree with. This is just what my own ears hear so it's quite possibly others might describe it differently. The vocal approaches in both albums I feel also share some common traits, being a slight departure from JLB's usual high notes and soaring melodies (with obvious exceptions of course).

Hmm, okay. I don't hear that at all, myself. I think BCSL's guitar sound is very distinct from that of SC and that of TOT. The vocal approach, I can agree with, but I think that's just a symptom of JLB's age. He doesn't go for high notes that much on ADTOE or DT12 (Pursuit of Truth as one exception) either. This sounds all quite subjective, which you seem to agree with, but I understand a little bit more of where you're coming from now.

Oh, and don't worry about not knowing how to describe music. I know absolutely no music theory myself, so I'm also kind of just doing my best.

I agree that each album has its own feel to it. I still consider SC to be SC and Black Clouds to be Black Clouds, not SC = B&SL. I just feel that some ideas on SC were carried over into BC&SL and that the two to me were similar enough to make them stick out in my mind as somewhat of a pair. By no means, however, do I consider them identical or being even almost the same.

Yeah, okay, I understand that somewhat. It's not like that for me, but maybe it's just a personal approach thing.

Not sure what you see as commonality between BC&SL and ADTOE.  Night and day to me.

To me, it's just a more similar approach to songwriting than on previous albums that I hear. I don't think they're that similar at all, though. It's just if I had to say something for BCSL.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #104 on: June 27, 2014, 04:15:58 PM »
The vocal approach, I can agree with, but I think that's just a symptom of JLB's age. He doesn't go for high notes that much on ADTOE or DT12 (Pursuit of Truth as one exception) either. This sounds all quite subjective, which you seem to agree with, but I understand a little bit more of where you're coming from now.

I also forgot to mention probably the more obvious: MP's backing vocals--these being the two albums where they're the most distinct and prominent. It's moments like these where it seems they tried to inject more accessible shades of metal into their music, an effort that either paid off or didn't depending on who you ask.

In general, it might just be how I approach the music. BC&SL was one of my first DT albums while I didn't get to SC until much later. I just remember hearing a good amount of similarities in the latter first time I heard it, and for the most part, I still do. I'm not opposed to other viewpoints regarding these two and how similar or not they may be, though.