Author Topic: Mike Portnoy  (Read 193477 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Mike Portnoy
« Reply #1470 on: September 02, 2015, 09:20:06 AM »
Train Of Thought itself sounds terrible. Really thin and mechanical.

The songs on the album are awesome, but I never listen to the album, always Live At Budokan for those tunes.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline tofee35

« Reply #1471 on: September 02, 2015, 10:01:05 AM »
Train Of Thought itself sounds terrible. Really thin and mechanical.

The songs on the album are awesome, but I never listen to the album, always Live At Budokan for those tunes.

Aw man, I totally disagree. I love the Tot sound. The drums sound so thick and chunky. I love it. The Budokan sound is also incredible, but different.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1472 on: September 02, 2015, 01:54:44 PM »
The ToT production seems to be a either you love it or hate it. Didn't MP say that they slaved on the production to get that sound?
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1473 on: September 02, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
Another issue with the TOT drums is that the toms and octobans on the big half of the kit sound very squeaky with a lot of overtones. Overall the rest of the instruments sound great but the drums sound awful.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Art

« Reply #1474 on: September 21, 2015, 02:36:25 PM »
Heard the Metal Allegiance album and i´m positevely surprised. A handful of really good songs, some good ones and not so much filler as one could expect.

Best Tracks: Let Darkness Fall (with Troy Sanders), Dying Song (with Phil Anselmo) and Wait Until Tomorrow (with Dug Pinnick and Jamey Jasta).

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1475 on: September 22, 2015, 12:33:20 AM »
Among all the other amazing albums coming out I almost forgot about this one. Still only mildly interested but will nonetheless check it out.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1476 on: September 25, 2015, 02:29:25 PM »
Heard the Metal Allegiance a couple of times on spotify. All in all my not so great expectations are met. It's not bad but it's not something I see myself coming back to often. The playing is top notch, as expected, but at times it's pretty generic thrash metal. And the different singers don't work that well imo, the album doesn't feel cohesive, there's no real flow, more a bunch of songs randomly put together.

Will maybe get this when it's on sale but probably not for the full price.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Sycsa

« Reply #1477 on: October 06, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »
OMG, this is hilarious, Mike plays Raining Blood on a Hello Kitty toy kit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aL2I--TCHM :lol

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1478 on: October 06, 2015, 06:23:07 PM »
OMG, this is hilarious, Mike plays Raining Blood on a Hello Kitty toy kit! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aL2I--TCHM :lol

:rollin

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1479 on: October 06, 2015, 09:01:45 PM »
I fucking loved Holy Wars

"Doesn't Hello Kitty make the double pedal?" :rollin

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1480 on: October 07, 2015, 12:13:35 AM »
haha that was great :lol
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1481 on: October 07, 2015, 01:02:36 AM »
:rollin
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Art

« Reply #1482 on: October 07, 2015, 06:47:30 AM »

thats so cool  :lol :lol :lol

Offline NotePad

« Reply #1483 on: October 07, 2015, 02:18:08 PM »
ToT is one of their best albums. I'd like to see them do something like it again, except significantly cut down on the insturmental passages. Seriously, Honour Thy Father and Endless Sacrifice would have been absolutely perfect if it weren't for that wank factor.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1484 on: October 07, 2015, 02:30:24 PM »
ToT is one of their best albums. I'd like to see them do something like it again, except significantly cut down on the insturmental passages. Seriously, Honour Thy Father and Endless Sacrifice would have been absolutely perfect if it weren't for that wank factor.

The instrumental passages are what makes ToT great.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1485 on: October 07, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »
guys this is not the dt thread

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1486 on: October 07, 2015, 04:24:53 PM »

:lol

Well every DT thread ends up about MP so...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1487 on: October 08, 2015, 03:40:01 AM »
That was a hilarious video, I loved it.  :rollin

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1488 on: October 08, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »
" I specifically requested the pokemon kit!" Hahaha
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Plasmastrike

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1489 on: October 11, 2015, 08:13:39 AM »
Be quiet dude

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1490 on: November 12, 2015, 08:01:04 AM »
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/mike_portnoy_why_are_people_so_skeptical_about_any_band_im_associated_with.html

"In the last 5 years, I've done more than what most people do in their entire careers."

Sure, but quality over quantity. Neither of his post-DT bands has even come close to DT, IMHO.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1491 on: November 12, 2015, 08:15:42 AM »
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1492 on: November 12, 2015, 08:49:27 AM »
Sure, but quality over quantity. Neither of his post-DT bands has even come close to DT, IMHO.

That's not what he's trying to accomplish.

I think Winery Dogs are pretty good, but I'd love to see a full fledged Flying Colors tour.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1493 on: November 12, 2015, 09:06:22 AM »

That's not what he's trying to accomplish.

That's how it comes across anyway with that quote.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1494 on: November 12, 2015, 09:23:37 AM »
That Oblivion song sounds so much like Black Country Communion.

It's too stop start for my liking too.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1495 on: November 12, 2015, 09:29:04 AM »
I really love MP as a drummer (still until this day) and as a musician. I really like ALL his projects, some most of others, of course (damn, even AMob I like it a lot! :omg:), but I don't get the need for him, from time to time, to say things like this:

"After spending 25 years strictly dedicated to one band, I feel free now!"
And LTE, Transatlantic, Neal Morse, many tribute bands, AX7? They started to happen when???

"I don't care about technique. I have kind of been pigeonholed as a technical drummer since I was in DREAM THEATER for all those years, but it's actually very far from the truth. I am not a technical drummer at all. I'm more from the Keith Moon/Lars Ulrich school of 'hey, look at me!' I just get up there and bash. I have no interest in playing 'perfect.' To me, it's more about being an entertainer. Having a connection with the audience."

IMO this is SO obviously not true... I mean, there's a lot of super technical drummers out there nowadays, but I don't think MP (or anybody) sees himself closer to Keith Moon than to, let's say, Thomas Lang. I understand that today MP don't have interest to improve his technique, that he is very happy with his level of ability, but to say that he doesn't care... c'mon! (it's easy to say that you don't care about money when you are... rich!:-))
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1496 on: November 12, 2015, 09:35:16 AM »
I think what MP conveniently glosses over there is that most of his projects only get the attention they do because of his DT past. If he weren't the ex-DT drummer, most people wouldn't be critical, they'd just be apathetic.

Regarding the "technical drummer" thing, pretty sure he would have answered the question very differently 15 years ago. He knows that he hasn't kept up with the craft, so now he doesn't want to be compared.
I mean, a guy who has a video of himself counting out the odd meters of TDOE, is, or rather was, a technical drummer.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1497 on: November 12, 2015, 09:40:24 AM »
c'mon! (it's easy to say that you don't care about money when you are... rich!:-))

I don't think DT made him 'rich'.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1498 on: November 12, 2015, 10:09:06 AM »
c'mon! (it's easy to say that you don't care about money when you are... rich!:-))

I don't think DT made him 'rich'.

Well, it was a joke and a metaphor about his technique, referring to what I wrote shortly before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #1499 on: November 12, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »
I think what MP conveniently glosses over there is that most of his projects only get the attention they do because of his DT past. If he weren't the ex-DT drummer, most people wouldn't be critical, they'd just be apathetic.

Regarding the "technical drummer" thing, pretty sure he would have answered the question very differently 15 years ago. He knows that he hasn't kept up with the craft, so now he doesn't want to be compared.
I mean, a guy who has a video of himself counting out the odd meters of TDOE, is, or rather was, a technical drummer.

Bingo.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1500 on: November 12, 2015, 03:24:12 PM »
Clearly MP enjoys what he's doing, so I'm not sure why it matters.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #1501 on: November 12, 2015, 03:27:52 PM »
Clearly MP enjoys what he's doing, so I'm not sure why it matters.

As long as he's enjoying it and it's not just something he tells himself to not cry over the spilled milk that is DT (and his leaving).

Anyway, I truly do believe him when he says "It's all about the music, and I work as hard as I do strictly because of the music. It's not a money thing, it's not a career thing. It's simply to do with me being a music fan with a broad taste, wanting to do different styles and wanting to work with lots of different people." I think it would be hard to find a musician of that stature who is so genuinely and completely filled with passion (to the point of obsession in some cases) for everything that has to do with so many different genres of music. His love and understanding of music and what it's like to be a fan is unparalleled.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1502 on: November 12, 2015, 03:29:43 PM »
Being in 6 bands and to sell lots of your equipment probably has a little something to do with money...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1503 on: November 12, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »
"Everything I've done in the last five years is the stuff dreams are made of."

Adrenaline Mob is the stuff dreams are made of? :lol :lol :lol :lol

Honestly, this sounds like pure spin, and I can't say I blame him.  What is he supposed to say, "Boo hoo, I wish I was still in Dream Theater."  Which you know he does.

And I doubt anyone has an issue with him being in a bunch of part-time bands (the majority of which, calling them part-time bands could be considered an overstatement), as opposed to one full-time band and just a couple part-timers (which was his deal before he left DT).  Sounds like he is setting up his own strawman there. 

Calvin6s

« Reply #1504 on: November 12, 2015, 06:52:03 PM »
I don't see it as a stretch.  My best musician experiences usually involve playing with new people.  Every new interactions adds to your musical character.