Author Topic: Shadow Ninja's [insert name here] Roulette v. FINAL RESULTS HOLY CRAP  (Read 34564 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'll try to make magic to find a song for next round :biggrin:
Sent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Still waiting on songs from Scorpion, adace, bl5150 and LieLow. No particular hurry, just letting you guys know.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
You should probably update the title :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
You know, I could have sworn I did. I guess I only changed it for my results post?

Offline adace

Sorry for the delay, been kinda busy.

Sent.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
So....
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Waiting on LieLow.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
ROUND 7 RESULTS

Scorpion - Flaming Row - Rage Of Despair - 8 points

This band has been on my check out list for a while now (I think you've recommended them on several occasions, and I think jingle.boy recommended this exact song at one point), but like many others, never quite got around to it. My mistake, as it seems this is rather great. I can't pin down exactly how many vocalists there are in this song (4? 5? 100?! ), but they're all great. The harsh vocalist is my favorite, though. The guitar work is quite nice as well, especially the opening riff.

Sacul - Last Crack - Energy Mind - 7 points

This is kind of different. The song's quite good (I particularly enjoy the vocalist), but it does seem to lack something to push it to the next level. I still enjoyed it a fair bit, though.

adace - Lantlos - Melting Sun I: Azure Chimes - 8 points

I was sold on this by the first note. The song feels very post rock-ish, so I was a bit surprised when the vocals showed up, as I expected the song to be instrumental. As it turns out, though, the vocals were quite good, and I liked the way they sorted of melded with the music instead of sitting out front.

Nekov - Yargos - Peace Of Mind - 9 points

As soon as I saw Andrew MacDermott's name, I knew this was going to be great. Vocals are great, chorus is ridiculously catchy, and the solos are awesome. Great submission.

senecadawg2 - Headspace - Daddy Fucking Loves You - 8 points

I'm honestly at a loss to explain why I don't own this album. I was interested to hear how Damian sounds as the sole vocalist, as I've only heard him before in co-vocalists roles. As it turns out, he's awesome. His light, lullaby like delivery at the beginning is incredible, and he actually really suits the heavier sections as well. Overall, excellent song.

bl5150 - DC Cooper - The Union - 7 points

I think the only time I've heard DC Cooper before was on his guest appearance on one of Voyager's songs. I really like his voice though, and he sounds great on this song. The guitar work is great as well, although the song does feel like it goes on a bit too long.

Lucien - Final Fantasy XII - The Dalmasca Estersand - 7 points

This reminds me a bit of some of the music from Fire Emblem. Although, maybe it just reminds me of Japanese RPG soundtracks? I don't know, I'm not overly familiar with the style. Still, I quite enjoyed it.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Cardiacs - Tarred And Feathered - 8 points

What the

what

...This is awesome. :lol   I really have no idea what to say about this, but I liked listening to it. :lol

Bolsters - Kishi Bashi - The Ballad of Mr. Steak - 9 points

This is amazing. Every time I've listened to it, it vaguely reminds of something that I can't quite place. Another thing I can't place is exactly what kind of music this is, but I ought to listen to more of it.

Onno - Ludovico Einaudi - I Giorni - 8 points

This is a really beautiful piece. I love how it sticks with the same basic theme all the way through, yet still changes enough to remain interesting.

Standings:

Bolsters - 60
adace - 57
LieLowTheWantedMan - 57
Onno - 56
Scorpion - 56
Nekov - 55
senecadawg2 - 54
Sacul - 50
Lucien - 49
bl5150 - 48

Ok, since I realize I've been dragging this thing out forever, and the waiting list is miles long, this next round is going to be the final round. And for that round, I have something specific in mind...

which is to say I have nothing in mind. It will be the same as all the other rounds. :P

SEND FINAL ROUND

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Sent. Rockin' it up a bit for this round.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Glad you liked that song  :tup. Since there is no way I can catch up with Bolsters I'll probably go out on a limb this round. Will send something later

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah, I pimp Flaming Row every roulette I'm ever in.  Fantastic album - best I've discovered in the last 5, maybe 10 years.  And I'm sure I'm the won that dropped it on Scrop in his first roulette
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've no idea of what to send you :justjen.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Yeah, I pimp Flaming Row every roulette I'm ever in.  Fantastic album - best I've discovered in the last 5, maybe 10 years.  And I'm sure I'm the won that dropped it on Scrop in his first roulette

Intentional?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Intentional?

I'm always a winner baby!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Not in my roulettes  ;)

Sent

Offline adace

I was bit worried you wouldn't like the vocals on that one but I'm glad you did. :)

Sent.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Not in my roulettes  ;)

Sent

Right back at ya pal!   :lol

Fourth time is a charm!  Actually, now that I think about it, I only participated in one of them!  I want another crack at it though

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Glad you ended up liking it. :lol Their album A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window is highly recommended. One of the most fun albums I know of.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Not in my roulettes  ;)

Sent

Right back at ya pal!   :lol

Fourth time is a charm!  Actually, now that I think about it, I only participated in one of them!  I want another crack at it though

You'll have your chance but we both know how that will end  :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Four days with no action?  What's the deal Shadow... is everyone in?  If so, then the next organizer could start while waiting to get your final results up.  If not, everyone publicly shame whoever has not submitted.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Lucien and LieLow have yet to submit.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
All the songs are in now. Results will be posted sometime and then we'll be done with this nightmare i mean roulette.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
I haven't really put too much thought into the pieces I have sent, so I'll end up last probably  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
My taste can be pretty random a lot of the time, so making your choices randomly isn't necessarily a bad strategy (or lack thereof).

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Great, maybe bolsters will fuck up real bad and the rest of us still have a chance......

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
Great, maybe bolsters will fuck up real bad and the rest of us still have a chance......

:lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Re: Shadow Ninja's [insert name here] Roulette v. FINAL RESULTS HOLY CRAP
« Reply #166 on: August 01, 2014, 12:32:49 AM »
WHOA RESULTS NO WAY

here we go

.          .             .. ..   

.  ... . . . . .

Scorpion - The Human Abstract - Patterns - 9 points

It seems like a lot of times, bands with both harsh and clean vocals tend to be weaker on the clean side, which makes it all the better when you come across one that excels in both. (i.e. this one) The guitar work, the melodies, the lyrics and especially the vocals are all excellent. I'm adding this band to the "check-out" list. (though they may already be there. I have a hard time keeping track of things :P )

Sacul - Saviour Machine - Carnival Of Souls - 9 points

I've known of this group for a while, and tried checking them out a few times after hearing their vocalist on THE, but none of the songs really did much for me. I'm not sure if it's a consequence of my tastes evolving, or just that I listened to the wrong songs, but I really enjoyed this one. The song has a really great, "open" sort of feel to it, and Clayton's vocals are fantastic. Thanks for this, I may actually be able to get into the band now.

adace - My Bloody Valentine - Sometimes - 8 points

For some reason this band and Bullet For My Valentine have always been the same in my head, which I guess is why I never checked them out (I guess it's because both have "valentine" in the band name? Who knows. My mind is a weird place). I guess this is shoegaze? I'm not super familiar with the genre, but it sounds that way to me. Actually, more than anything it reminds me of what the Red House Painters would sound like with more distortion. Overall, great song.

Nekov - Beardfish - Green Waves - 8 points

For some reason, the first few times I listened to this, I didn't really like it at all. Fortunately, it's grown on me. Musically, it's pretty good, if not particularly exceptional (not necessarily a complaint, not everything has to be), but my favorite part is the vocalist. He's got a great voice, and seems really versatile. I guess my only complaint is it seems a bit too long? Not that big of a problem, though.

senecadawg2 - Gallowbraid - Stone Of Remembrance - 9 points

So, first thoughts, this reminds me a lot of Caladan Brood. Caladan Brood is extremely awesome, so this is a good thing. The black metal vocals are awesome, the clean vocals are awesome, the Irish-sounding section is awesome, basically everything is awesome. This is a terrible writeup, but who cares. This rocks. :metal

bl5150 - Thank You Scientist - Suspicious Waveforms - 8 points

Nah, you'll have to send something a lot weirder to freak me out. :D   This was pretty awesome, though. When it started, I expected it be a kind of jazz thing, and I guess it kind of retained a jazzy sort of feel throughout, but it definitely had a lot of more "out there" stuff with the violin and the other instruments. I've actually never heard anything quite like this, I'll certainly be checking out more of their stuff.

Lucien - Lucien - The Scaly Wings of Lightning - 5 points

Can't say I enjoyed this one as much as your other piece. I think I get what you were going for with it, but overall it just didn't really work for me.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Fire! Orchestra - Exit! Part One - 7 points

Holy crap. :lol   Where do you even find stuff like this? It's so bizarre. It's also pretty enjoyable to listen to, with all the strange vocals and random squawking instruments. Though I suppose I'd have to be in a certain mood to want to listen to it.

Bolsters - Celldweller - Birthright - 10 points

I'm considering hiring you to just send me music constantly. Of course, it wouldn't work because I have no money. :(

But anyway, about the song. :lol  This is ridiculously amazing. From the incredible synth-y bassline to the vocals to the electro-dubstep-whatever elements, this is just plain amazing all the way through.

Onno - Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture - 8 points

So this song has cannons. That pretty much ensured it a good score. :lol  Seriously, though, I really liked this piece. I've never heard it in full before, but I've some of the themes in various contexts in the past (I think we might have played a bit of it in band once? I can't really remember. Anyway...). I don't really have a whole lot to say because I'm writing this at 1 in the morning and my brain isn't working that well, but I really liked it. Good choice.

FINAL STANDINGS

Bolsters - 70
adace - 65
Scorpion - 65
LieLowTheWantedMan - 64
Onno - 64
Nekov - 63
senecadawg2 - 63
Sacul - 59
bl5150 - 56
Lucien - 54

CONGRATULATIONS BOLSTERS!!

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Pretty much every song you sent was a home run, and almost every group is probably going to warrant further investigation on my part. So, thanks for playing!

And everyone else, thanks for playing as well. All of you sent me some great music, and I really appreciate it. I had a lot of fun running this, and hopefully you guys enjoyed participating. See you guys whenever I do this again (probably this time next year :P ).

THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2014, 01:06:50 AM »
Haha............and he rockets out of last place for the first time in the final round.  :metal   And I had to send the weirdest stuff in my collection to do it.  :hat

Well done on your roulette - I was like a fish out of water in the music dept for the most part but had a good time anyway.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #168 on: August 01, 2014, 01:18:10 AM »
Awh I thought I'd score higher with that one, but oh well. :biggrin: Glad I got to show you more weird shit. :tup

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #169 on: August 01, 2014, 01:45:50 AM »
I'm considering hiring you to just send me music constantly. Of course, it wouldn't work because I have no money. :(
Let me know if you ever win the lottery or something, because that sounds like a pretty good job. :lol

CONGRATULATIONS BOLSTERS!!

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #170 on: August 01, 2014, 01:51:12 AM »
Glad you liked the piece :tup Congrats to Bolsters!

Offline adace

« Reply #171 on: August 01, 2014, 01:54:56 AM »
Glad you liked that one! Thanks for me having me in your roulette. I'll definitely sign up for your next one if you decide to have it.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: August 01, 2014, 04:11:15 AM »
Congrats Bolsters  :tup

Thanks for running this roulette SN, it was fun

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: August 01, 2014, 08:37:32 AM »
I will try harder next time, but anyways, this was a fun roulette. Well done Bolsters :tup

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
« Reply #174 on: August 01, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
Awh I thought I'd score higher with that one, but oh well. :biggrin: Glad I got to show you more weird shit. :tup

It's certainly a song that I could see growing on me more in the future. I suppose one of the problems with roulettes is a lot of the songs that would ostensibly be "growers" often just don't have the time to grow.

Glad you liked that one! Thanks for me having me in your roulette. I'll definitely sign up for your next one if you decide to have it.
Congrats Bolsters  :tup

Thanks for running this roulette SN, it was fun

You're welcome!

I will try harder next time, but anyways, this was a fun roulette. Well done Bolsters :tup

Trying is overrated. This thing is mostly a crapshoot anyway. I figure the best way to go is just send stuff you like and hope for the best.