Author Topic: Shadow Ninja's [insert name here] Roulette v. FINAL RESULTS HOLY CRAP  (Read 34577 times)

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Round 3 transmitted.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Scented.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
Shit, forgot to send yesterday evening when I sort of had the time. I'll try to send this afternoon or tonight.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
sent

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
All right, everyone's in, results will appear sometime before the end of the age.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
Obviously it will be before Tool's new album, Half-Life 3 and George R.R Martin's new book, right? RIGHT?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Internet hasn't been very cooperative, but results should be up sometime tonight.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
ROUND 3 RESULTS

Scorpion - Nevermore - Born - 8 points

I believe I've heard two Nevermore songs before, one that I quite liked and another that didn't really do much for me. Initially, this one felt like it was right in between, with some parts I liked and some parts that I didn't. The vocal style during the verses kind of put me off initially, though the chorus was pretty much the greatest thing ever. The more I listened to the song, though, the vocals started to grow on me a bit. I read somewhere that Warrel Dane was once trained as an opera singer? I can definitely hear some of that in his voice. Also, you seem to be stuck at 8 points. Sorry about that. :lol  I swear it's not intentional.

Sacul - Burial - Raver - 5 points

I feel the same way about this song as I do about most dubstep, in that it feels very incomplete. The song starts with some cool beats and interesting ideas, but instead of developing them, the song seems to just repeat them randomly until it ends. Maybe I'm just missing the point of the song, but there's definitely something being missed by someone here. It wasn't horrible, but it really does nothing to change my general view in dubstep, which kind of disappoints me, actually.

adace - Hammock - Breathturn - 8 points

This song is quote beautiful and calming. I really like the vocals, they sound sort of synthetic in a cool way. I don't really have much else to say on this one.

Nekov - Pure Reason Revolution - Bullits Dominae - 8 points

I've been meaning to check this band out for a while, but just never got around to it. I will probably get on that more promptly now, as I really enjoyed this song. I'm actually not even sure what kind of music this is, but I really like it.

senecadawg - Dornenreich - Eigenwach - 7 points

This is.... pretty strange. :lol   The vocals were definitely a turn off the first time I listened, but their bizarreness has really grown on me since then. I really like the short break in the middle with the violin. I do wish the production were a bit better, though. I realize that's sort of a thing with black metal, but it sounds a bit mushy.

bl5150 - Vanden Plas - Rainmaker - 6 points

I actually am familiar with Vanden Plas, but I've never heard this song, so no harm done. Unfortunately, while the song is performed perfectly well, there's very little to separate it from most other Dream Theater-esque prog bands out there. I do really enjoy Andy's voice though, which brings up my opinion of the song.

Lucien - Pendragon - Indigo - 7 points

This is sort of an odd one. I'm not a big fan of the singer's voice, and around half of the melodies do nothing for me, but the instrumental sections of the song are absolutely amazing. The guitar work is particularly fantastic. Even with my lukewarm thoughts on the vocalist, the instrumentals are good enough to interest my in checking out the band's work further.

LieLowTheWantedMan - The Drones - I See Seaweed - 9 points

I remember checking out this album a while back, based on the recommendation from crazyaga's thread (miss that dude, btw). I actually really disliked it then, the vocals were just not to my taste at all, despite me really wanting to like them. Oddly enough, however, when I listened to it again for this round, I found myself really liking the vox, and then liking them even more with each successive listen. They're definitely still strange, but it's strangeness that I like now. Good choice. :D

Bolsters - Hybrid - Break My Soul - 8 points

I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like this before. I'm actually not sure what it even is. But whatever it is, I really like it. The singer has a great voice.

Onno - Destrage - Destroy Create Transform Sublimate - 9 points

Whoa this is awesome. Awesome riffs, and drums, ridiculously awesome vocals, and I really never have any idea where the song is going. This is just plain fun. And then for the last for seconds, the song goes into a ridiculous trance/dubstep/electro freakout thing which makes the song even more awesome. Definitely going to check them out further.

Standings:

adace - 26
Bolsters - 26
LieLowTheWantedMan - 26
Onno - 25
Scorpion - 24
Lucien - 22
Nekov - 21
Sacul - 21
bl5150 - 20
senecadawg2 - 20

Send for round 4!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
Bolsters - Hybrid - Break My Soul - 8 points
I don't think I've ever heard anything quite like this before. I'm actually not sure what it even is. But whatever it is, I really like it. The singer has a great voice.
I don't listen to all that much electronic music, so I kind of suck at guessing electronic subgenre labels (there's a lot of them and often very little separating them :lol), but I am pretty sure this is Big Beat. However, this song (and the whole album) is fairly unique compared to all the other Big Beat stuff I've heard - this is much more melodic, slightly progressive, they have a good singer who sings on almost all of the songs, there's variety in the dynamics, and unlike most other electronic artists all of the symphonic elements on this album were recorded live in the studio - no samples here, which I think helps to give the album a more organic sound.

Round 4 dispatched.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Crap  ;D  I'm not a fan of any of the high marking songs so struggling for clues - let's see if I am closer to the mark this time .

Sent
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Rainmaker is probably my favorite VP song.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

I'm not sure what you want from me Shadow Ninja... If Dornenreich is weird (not saying it isnt) then what does that make Devil Doll?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
I feel the same way about this song as I do about most dubstep, in that it feels very incomplete.
I thought you'd think it was beautiful :lol Will try something different now.

Sent.

Offline Lucien

I don't even know why I sent that one.  :huh:

Sending :soon:

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Nekov - Pure Reason Revolution - Bullits Dominae - 8 points

I've been meaning to check this band out for a while, but just never got around to it. I will probably get on that more promptly now, as I really enjoyed this song. I'm actually not even sure what kind of music this is, but I really like it.

I'd say it falls under prog metal but as you listen to more of them you'll see they're not your average band  ;)

I don't even know why I sent that one.  :huh:

Sending :soon:

Me neither, Pendragon has quite a few songs that kick Indigo's ass.

Sent round 4
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Onno

Glad you liked Destrage! I'll try to send tonight.

Offline adace

Sent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Still need LieLow and Lucien. No rush, just letting you know.

Offline Lucien

Sent.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Still need LieLow and Lucien. No rush, just letting you know.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Bit of a heads up, the internet here has been offensively abysmal, and I haven't been able to listen much. Hopefully that will improve soon, and thus we will see results before the end of the world.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Don't mess with me, man, I'm a lawyer!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Get better internet, dude.

Offline Onno

Tom is in Equador and he has better internet than you, I suppose :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
Well, he doesn't have to listen to all the songs. :P

But seriously, I wouldn't be surprised. The internet is so horrific here, after a rain shower it dies completely, then routinely craps out or runs at the pace of sloth wading through molasses for the next few days.

It is truly awful. But things seem to be running better now, results should be up sometime tomorrow.

Offline Lucien

Not than I'm recommending bootlegging...

https://www.youtube-mp3.org/

Just get the MP3s and listen to them off the internet if you must (depending on whether or not the submissions were from youtube). No rush though. I know Lielow still hasn't submitted

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
No, LieLow submitted, I'm the one holding this up. And with that in mind...

ROUND 4 RESULTS

Scorpion - Dark Empire - The Forgotten Sin - 8 points

Whoa Scorp got 8 points never saw that coming

Seriously though, I'm not doing this on purpose. :lol  As I said before, the vocalist is my favorite part of the song. His growls and cleans are great (though he doesn't do much growling in this song, shame about that), plus he can do a clean-but-metal voice that a lot of mixed vocalists don't seem to do. The song has a fair bit of prog to it, but never to where it seems slef-indulgent, excepting the one widdly section near the end, which I didn't really care for. Other than that, though, this song was great.

Sacul - Nils Frahm - Toilet Brushes-More - 8 points

Dude, where do you even find stuff like this? :lol   This is pretty amazing stuff. Unconventional stuff like this can be really great if done right, as is exemplified by this song. I don't know exactly what it is, if it's the way things are mic'd, but I really love the huge, reverberating sound the piano has. The only real complaint I have with this one is that it does seem very long, considering the song doesn't change too much. But it's a rather minor complaint, all things considered.

adace - Isis - Ghost Key - 8 points

I've been meaning to check out Isis for a while now, but just haven't gotten around to it. I guess this is considered "post-metal"? Lots of it are definitely similar to what a post rock band would sound like if they played metal. I especially love the vocalist, his cleans are really good, plus his growls are amazing and really unique. I don't think I've really heard that style before. All in all, good submission.

Nekov - Arena - Cutting The Cards - 8 points

OK, at some point someone's going to get something other than 8 points. But not yet, apparently. Of all the songs sent, this one probably grew on me the most. Initially, I really didn't like the vocals at all. Later on, somewhat inexplicably, I decided they were amazing and really enjoyed them. Not really sure how it happened, but I'm glad it did. The guitar work is really cool as well, is that John Mitchell (of Frost*)? I know he came from some English prog band, but I can't remember which one.

Also, if I awarded extra points for coolest album cover, this one would have gotten it.

senecadawg2 - David Gray - Please Forgive Me - 10 points

These are the droids you were looking for. This was my favorite song sent this round. I've heard of David Gray before, as you've expressed your love of his music several times on this forum, but somehow or another, I never got around to listening to him. I was actually expecting his music to be more "singer/songwriter acoustic-guitar-with-singing" kind of thing, and though I wouldn't have minded that, I definitely like this more. I guess I can see how his voice might be an acquired taste? But I really enjoyed it right off, so good choice with this one.

bl5150 - After Forever - Cry With A Smile - 8 points

I've tried listening to After Forever before, but generally it didn't stick because, beyond Floor being awesome, the music didn't interest me much. I suppose that's true to extent for this song as well, but for one thing, Floor is even more incredibly awesome than usual here, plus the acoustic guitar bits are really nice as well. The synth parts are nice, though I can't help thinking a band with Joost van der Broek as keyboardist ought to utilize him more (I'm assuming that's him? I know he played with them at some point). Anyway, overall I really liked this song.

Lucien - Alexander Borodin - Polovetsian Dances - 7 points

This piece is nice enough to listen to, but the beginning of it does illustrate the problems I have with a lot of classical music, in that a lot of the time it seems a bit too... sedate? I'm not entirely sure if that's the right word. It does pick up a few minutes in, though, and I enjoy the song a lot more then. It's possible my issues with the song stem mostly from unfamiliarity with the style of music.

If I awarded extra points for "composer with the best mustache" this one would have won.

LieLowTheWantedMan - Low - Words - 8 points

This does remind a quite a bit of RHP, especially the guitar sound. I really love this sort of downbeat music. I actually don't have that much to say on this one, I just really enjoyed it. Good choice.

Bolsters - BT - Suddenly - 9 points

I'm passingly familiar with BT (I actually sent one of their songs in Lucien's roulette), but I'd never heard this song before. And as it turns out, this song is amazing. The chorus is basically the best thing ever. Probably the only thing keeping this from being a 10 is that I think the song goes on just a bit too long, but in the grand scheme, that's a minor complaint.

Onno - Rachmaninoff - Piano Concerto No. 2 Op. 18 - 7 points

You said you were taking a risk, and I suppose it didn't entirely pay off. Hopefully that doesn't discourage you from taking risks in the future, though, because a lot of times I end up liking things I wouldn't have expected to like. This piece is actually quite good, I just find that with a lot of classical music, this included, there are a few amazing sections, and the rest is just good or ok. The pianist was particularly impressive, though.

Standings

Bolsters = 35
adace = 34
LieLowTheWantedMan = 34
Onno = 32
Scorpion = 32
senecadawg2 = 30
Lucien = 29
Nekov = 29
Sacul = 29
bl5150 = 28

SEND ROUND 5

Hopefully I will procrastinate less on this round.

...ololololol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
That is in fact John Mitchell and yes, that album cover is freaking awesome. I'll see if I can get something other than an 8 this round...
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
Damn you!

Oh well. Calm and steady does the trick, right? Like I said, you should probably enjoy that whole album.

EDIT: Sent! Also, because I'm awesome, I have the power to look into the future for a little: here's a small excerpt.

Quote from: Shadow Ninja 2.0
Round 5 Results in!

Scorpion = 40

:P
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 08:50:37 PM by Scorpion »

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
man can you do that for all of them

save me a lot of time

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
I'm a future-gaze-hooker. Ten bucks and I'm game.

EDIT: I just realised that that is still double of what a hooker costs in Quito. Now I'm depressed about that again.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I'm in for Round 5.