Author Topic: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread v. DONE  (Read 18151 times)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread v. DONE
« on: June 09, 2014, 03:15:32 PM »
>oh no not you again
WHAT'S THAT SUPPOSED TO MEAN?
>your last list took forever
Oh. Yeah. But this will be quicker, I assure you.
>fiiiine

50. 40 Degrees North- Xuefei Yang (2008)

Chinese Classical  Guitar Music, you say? Yes, I do say. It's my go to calm down music right now, and certainly, Xuefei Yang is very good at what she does. Certainly enjoy her style, and I do recommend it out. I came by this album thanks to my good friend Sketchy giving it to me, along with a whole bunch of other albums (some of which will feature in here!) But, if I had to describe this album a bit better than I'm doing in my current delirious state, it's relaxing. It's calm.  It's the type of music you'd put on the background of a very nice dinner evening, something interesting and yet, calming. Of course, there's all kinds of chinese influence on it, which is actually missing from her later albums, which is quite the shame, because she's a really great classical guitarist and having that type of influence makes her really stand out from the rest of the crowd.

I'll do 49 tomorrow and improve this writeup as well, I've just come down feeling like the Horseman of Death is attacking me. Bleeeeck.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 07:42:21 AM by GentlemanofDread »
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
Odd choice, never heard about that style. Following :hat

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: The Gentleman's Top 50 Albums Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:42 PM »
intrigued.  I'll have to check that out.  following.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
49. The Power Cosmic- Bal-Sagoth (1999)

So, I don't actually like too much Bal-Sagoth. It's a bit too much for me at times, but for some reason, Power Cosmic grabs me unlike anything else they did. It's loud, it's agressive, it's fantastical, and it just comes off as a really well done package for some reason. Certainly, it's the heaviest offering in my bunch of top albums. But there's also a little to discuss about this album. It's just an agressive album, start to finish, and I love it.

48. Flying Teapot- Gong (1973)

From Bal-Sagoth, we go to the world of drug fueled Progressive Rock of Gong! Every preconception you've heard about Progressive Rock and Drug Use, Gong probably are the band that started all of them. This album is a rather strange mix of drug fueled imagery and rather poetic lyrical pieces at times. Of course, it can be crazy at times, and sometimes hard to follow, but the story told through the album is rather unique! I'd recommend prog fans to check it out at least once, see what's up with what.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 01:07:43 AM by GentlemanofDread »
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
would you mind putting the release year for your entries going forward?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Love that Gong album.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Bal-Sagoth :metal
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adace

Haven't really gotten into Bal-Sagoth but that Gong album is great. Looks like this is gonna be a really diverse list, following.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Bal-Sagoth, fuck yeah.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man

Sure thing! Gone back and added them to the other albums.

Offline Outcrier

:tup for Flying Teapot, Canterbury Scene rocks!
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
Only heard Angel's Egg from Gong but loved it. Will check out Flying Teapot soon.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
:tup for Flying Teapot, Canterbury Scene rocks!
Very proud of a music scene my city produced!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran

Sure thing! Gone back and added them to the other albums.

great, thanks!
Winger would be better!

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
47. Halo 3 ODST Soundtrack-  Martin O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori (2009)

I always loved a good soundtrack, and for a while, Halo soundtracks to me, were the best. They were suited just perfectly to the games for a while, and always did something a bit new. Which is how we get to JAZZ, THE VIDEO GAME SOUNDTRACK. Halo 3 ODST was a game that could of been frustrating at times, but damn, what was done with this soundtrack was great. 'Overture' and 'The Rookie' get me right in the mood, but 'Neon Night' and 'The Office of Naval Intelligence' are certainly fine tracks for some.. frustrating moments in the game. Give this soundtrack a listen.

46. The Hit List- Joan Jett (1990)

One of my favourite artists. Joan Jett. And this is just an album of covers. Probably some kind of cop-out for some people, but damn, her covers of "Dirty Deeds" and "Roadrunner USA" really make me love this album. Hard rocking. She's just got a way that hooks me into her music. "Tulane" is also pretty good, and certainly every cover is done to make it similar and unique at the same time.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
POTHEAD PIXIES UNITE

Also, fuck yeah 40 Degrees North. The track Yi Dance/Dance Of The Yi People is how I first came across the music of my one of my favourite instruments.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
45. Sin and Bones- Fozzy (2012)

Aww, yiss. Fozzy are a band I only just recentally found, really. Even though I was a big wrestling (and Chris Jericho) fan, I never actually knew what Fozzy could do untill I gave Sin and Bones a listen. It blew me away. From "Spider in My Mouth" and it's very unsettling nursery rhyme start, all the way through to "Storm the Beaches", it reminds me how great metal music can be sometimes in a sea of averageness I don't like too much. Certainly, my highlights include "Sandpaper" and "Sin and Bones", but I think my favourite track on this album is the opener, "Spider in My Mouth."
Recommended Tracks: "Spider In My Mouth" & "Sandpaper"

44. Powerslave- Iron Maiden (1984)

However, this is a classic. Powerslave is one of my favourite Iron Maiden albums, but then that's not too surprising, is it? It's got so many great tracks, "Aces High"; "Two Minutes to Midnight"; "The Duelists"; "Powerslave"; and of course, that big long and just plain epic track at the end known as the "Rime of the Ancient Mariner". Maiden are one of my favourite bands, and until my iPod (4 years of service) burnt away, they were my third go-to band for just a longest time, and songs off this album were usually the ones I went to first or second for the longest time.
Recommended Tracks: "Two Minutes to Midnight" & "Rime of the Ancient Mariner"

43. 2112- Rush (1976)

Love love LOVE the title track. It's the type of epic that I just love to listen to, with it's changes of paces and tempo. Just, a fantastic piece of music, and it's my favourite from this album. But the rest of the album is good too, with "Tears" being my personal pick of the rest, but I can see why "A Passage to Bangkok" is loved so. Not my favourite Rush album, however, but it's still a very very good album.
Recommended Tracks: "2112" & "Tears"

42. Forth- The Verve (2008)

So, The Verve. Think of it like Britpop met Shoegazing met early Pink Floyd and you'd get some idea of what the band was like. But, then, your thoughts are probably wrong. The Verve were a very unique band, and Forth, their last studio album, is certainly a unique listening experience from the start. Each song feels unique, "Sit and Wonder" is a heavier rocker, whilst "Love is Noise" is a more poppish outing. But then, there are tracks on this album that are just incredible that I can't do them any justice (Well, I'm not doing anything justice). "Judas" isn't the first that comes to mind for this, but it has a dreamish upbeat tone that certainly elevates it. However, "Noise Epic" is everything that I love about a good 8 minute song. It's slow at the start, building up more and more, slowly but surely untill it just become crazy and insane, rocking hard and just, yes. Go listen to it. At least once. For me?
Recommended Track: "Noise Epic" & "Love is Noise"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Powerslave and 2112!! Two absolute classics

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

A little late to this, but great start!

Offline Sir Walrus Cauliflower

Very interesting and cool choices so far.  I'll be following this list, regardless of how long it takes.
I feel strangely honored to be following up a post from Sir Walrus Cauliflower.

Offline Lowdz

This.
But Joan Jett? In aa top 50? ok...

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man

This.
But Joan Jett? In aa top 50? ok...
Hey!
We're not done with Joan Jett yet. c:

Offline Lowdz

I'm guessing we're not going to need Big HAth to tell us its a first in a top 50 for JJ  :biggrin:

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
I'm guessing we're not going to need Big HAth to tell us its a first in a top 50 for JJ  :biggrin:
...  I'd think there's going to be several firsts in my top 50 now I think about it.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Hell yes, Fozzy  :metal Great pick!

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
I should blast Powerslave again. I do enjoy it.

Also, 2112 is wincakes on a stick of brilliance.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Well glad there's some mixed thoughts on these updates!

41. Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from a Memory- Dream Theater (1999)

Hey guys, have you heard of this band? They're called Dream Theater, and they're pretty neat, they've got this fun fan boards known as Dreamtheaterforums.org? Joking aside, this is a very very good album (only spoiled by a middle section of one song imo), and with it being Rudess' first effort with the band, it's exciting to see how much change there was from the previous Dream Theater keyboardists! It's great. It's a great story from start to end, with riffs and moments that just make you say "Oh Yes!" Really, I could gush in more detail, but I think you should all at least know this album. :)
Recommended Tracks: "Home" & "Fatal Tragedy"

40. On An Island- David Gilmour (2006)

I love Pink Floyd, and I love many of their solo albums, but On An Island is.. something else. It's certainly a combination of styles that Gilmour loves and an evolution of his guitar sound from the last Pink Floyd album, but it's more than just about the guitar. It's about the different instruments and how they come together, with all the Gilmour lead vision in mind. There are some Progressive Tracks, certainly, of which "Castellorizon" comes to mind, but then there are some hard rock sounding blues song, "Take a Breath", along with any style in between the two. "Smile" is probably my favourite off this album, it's nice and simple to listen to, nothing hard about it, just a chill out song.

39. Larks' Tongues in Aspic- King Crimson (1973)

Fripp makes music that I just listen to. He's one of five groups/people that does that to me. He just makes music, I listen, and a lot of it sticks. This, however, sticks up there for a number of reasons. The combination of Progressive Rock, Jazz Fusion, Heavy Metal, Bill Bruford, Robert Fripp and David Cross. It's a thrilling listen, with some very experimental drumming, violin and guitar playing just to punch in the fact it's going to be great. By the time you get to "Easy Money", you're already sold on the album, but to me, "Easy Money" just punches in further how great this incarnation of King Crimson is, and by the time the final, and my favourite song off the album, "Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part Two", starts to play.. Well, let's just say experimental guitar and violin playing is a loose term to describe just how awesome it is!
Recommended Tracks: "Larks Tongues in Aspic, Part Two" & "Easy Money".

38. Keys to the World- Richard Ashcroft (2006)

Hath, Question! First time Richard Ashcroft has been in a top 50? I love this album, purely because the ex-The Verve frontman isn't doing songs outside his comfort song, isn't writing songs that just don't fit his style. It's.. well, it's certainly depressing and downbeat. It's pretty much reflective of the British society at times during 2006. Guitar, drums, bass, piano, it's a typical rock band instruments line up, nothing fancy, but it's just some quality alternative rock played here with Ashcroft's rather unique vocals on full display. Listen to "Break the Night with Colour" and if you like it, check out the rest of this album, starting with the title track, "Keys to the World."
Recommended Tracks: "Break the Night with Colour" & "Keys to the World"

37. Riposte- Buke and Gase (Or Gass)

I went to a festival once. It was great. It was UK 2012 ATP Curated by The National, and well, some bands I saw there really were awesome. (I saw Richard Reed Parry play 3 times, 3 different styles.) But Buke and Gase were a highlight, a big one. What do their names mean? The "buke" is a six-string former-baritone ukulele; and the "gase" is a guitar-bass hybrid. Yeah. Combined with a kick drum, it makes for an extra-ordinary listen how with just three instruments they compose such awesome and rocking songs, with the dirty sounds from the Buke and Gase just making it that more addictive to listen to. Indie Experimental is a genre name I'd feel would fit them, because every song is just something dirty and strange to the ears, but has some beauty to it.
Recommended Songs: "Your Face Left Before You" & "Sleep Gets Your Ghost."

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
<3LTIA.

That is all I need to say about that album. ALL HAIL FRIPP

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
A big hell yeah for On An Island! Love that album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

I'll have to give this Dream Theater album a listen soon.

I've not actually heard that Gilmour album. And Robert Fripp is an alien. :hefdaddy

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
I'll have to give this Dream Theater album a listen soon.

I've not actually heard that Gilmour album. And Robert Fripp is an alien. :hefdaddy

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Hath, Question! First time Richard Ashcroft has been in a top 50?

yes it is

although it was not the first mention of the Xuefei Yang album
Winger would be better!

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Love On An Island and Larks' Tongues is one of my favorites from Crimson.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Hath, Question! First time Richard Ashcroft has been in a top 50?

yes it is

although it was not the first mention of the Xuefei Yang album

Nor that one, specifically. There's a reason I gave GoD that album way back yonder.