Author Topic: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!  (Read 15988 times)

Calvin6s

Re: Happy 30th Anniversary, Ghostbusters!
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2016, 02:40:37 PM »
Melissa McCarthy was pretty funny in Spy.
Kristen Wiig I usually find funny.
Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones I never find funny.

The trailer does not look promising.  But I saw Ghostbusters as a little kid, so perhaps little kids are loving the trailer.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2016, 04:19:27 PM »
Maybe it was just the trailer but this looks like it's going to be terrible.

sexist

Calvin6s

« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2016, 04:25:44 PM »

sexist

You noticed the gender that allowed you to notice the sexism.  How sexist.   :laugh:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »

sexist

You noticed the gender that allowed you to notice the sexism.  How sexist.   :laugh:

:getoffmylawn:

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2016, 05:28:48 AM »
"Sony is literally deleting tens of thousands of comments per day on this video. They have full-time staff dedicated to the sole job of deleting comments on a single movie trailer. "

:lol :lol

This is actually legit.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2016, 06:06:58 AM »
"Sony is literally deleting tens of thousands of comments per day on this video. They have full-time staff dedicated to the sole job of deleting comments on a single movie trailer. "

This is actually legit.

Where did you see that?

One comment on that video pretty much sums it up:
They usually put the best and funniest parts in trailers. Be afraid people, it's gonna get worse than this...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2016, 06:11:00 AM »
Saw it posted on another forum along with these 2 screengrabs of people claiming their posts were taken down:
https://puu.sh/ny0zJ/41a22d03cf.jpg
https://puu.sh/nyxv3/d0185ac14c.jpg

:lol

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2016, 06:25:26 AM »
Ha ha. Damage limitation!
If there's ever another trailer it will probably be up with comments disabled!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2016, 06:30:00 AM »

This is actually legit.

:lol

Well, I'm not surprised. The movie looks like it's going to be complete shit. Not even the lovely Kristen Wiig can save this for me.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2016, 08:25:25 AM »
Well, the trailer kind of leads you to believe that is a sequel/follow-up to the original.  However, the director has vehemently denied this, and says it is a complete reboot and the originals never happened in this "universe".

So, whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2016, 10:03:53 AM »
He's fucking with us.  He wants to create confusion about the whole thing (is it a reboot, a remake, a sequel, or something else?) to try and get more people to go see it.  He's hoping that at least some people who might not have checked it out will at least see it out of curiosity, to find out what the deal is.

I'll still wait until it shows up on cable, and I'd still need to be pretty wasted to even bother.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #81 on: March 09, 2016, 11:50:07 AM »

This is actually legit.

thats kind of stupid.  wouldn't word of Sony deleting negative comments make the whole thing worse?
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #82 on: March 09, 2016, 04:30:32 PM »
So the idiots crying "sexism" just wont consider the possibility that maybe, just maybe all the hate and general dislike might be because the movie just looks terrible? I generally don't find female comedians to be funny at all, and based on the trailer, it's still true. That being said, if the cast was replaced with men, it still wouldn't be funny. As someone said, this looks like one of those shitty spoof movies ala Epic Movie. And yeah, screaming isn't funny. The movie just looks cliched as fuck, and it might as well have been written by Adam Sandler.

Calvin6s

« Reply #83 on: March 09, 2016, 04:47:32 PM »
Why is it that some people pull a Belushi and say they don't find female comedians funny?

Is it basically the South Park queef episode?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #84 on: March 09, 2016, 04:53:26 PM »
Why is it that some people pull a Belushi and say they don't find female comedians funny?

Because some people don't find female comedians funny.

Ellen can be funny on her show, but any stand up I've ever seen from a woman was terrible.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2016, 04:57:23 PM »
Most female comedians are just " MEN ARE SHIT AND WOMEN HAVE VAGINAS "

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #86 on: March 09, 2016, 05:00:57 PM »
It also doesn't help that I can't stand Melissa McCarthy. Hell, I've really only seen anything by her from movie trailers, and that was enough.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2016, 05:02:00 PM »
It also doesn't help that I can't stand Melissa McCarthy. Hell, I've really only seen anything by her from movie trailers, and that was enough.

The clip I saw of Tammy just reeked of both shouty comic who thinks shouting is funny AND "i'm fat so every joke is about how fat I am "..

That's all they have.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2016, 05:09:02 PM »

The clip I saw of Tammy just reeked of both shouty comic who thinks shouting is funny AND "i'm fat so every joke is about how fat I am "..

That's all they have.

To me, she's a 'big girl" cliche like Rebel Wilson. That's what I got from the Pitch Perfect trailers. According to my brother, Wilson has more to offer in those movies, but that's just what I see. I'm not knocking over weight people. Chris Farley was pretty entertaining, even though he was the shouty fat guy. Some people have it, some don't. It doesn't matter what gender, but typically, I just don't find female comedians funny. More so with stand up. They can be funny in sitcoms, but there hasn't been a decent sitcom in decades.

Calvin6s

« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2016, 05:11:25 PM »
I get the lame calls of sexism, but .....

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is extremely funny in Veep (among other shows)
Jane Lynch is hit and miss (for me), but quite a few people find her top notch funny.
Tina Fey was funny in 30 Rock
Amy Poehler was funny in Parks and Rec (along with the other females of that show)
Madeline Kahn was great in her Mel Brooks' movies - History of the World / Blazing Saddles
Tamsin Greig cracks me up in Showtime's Episodes

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #90 on: March 09, 2016, 05:16:16 PM »
I get the lame calls of sexism, but .....

Julia Louis-Dreyfus is extremely funny in Veep (among other shows)
Jane Lynch is hit and miss (for me), but quite a few people find her top notch funny.
Tina Fey was funny in 30 Rock
Amy Poehler was funny in Parks and Rec (along with the other females of that show)
Madeline Kahn was great in her Mel Brooks' movies - History of the World / Blazing Saddles
Tamsin Greig cracks me up in Showtime's Episodes

I liked Dreyfus on Seinfeld.
Jane Lynch is amusing in the "stoner comedies", but not LOL funny.
Tina Fey and Amy poehler are overrated as fuck. Fey is likable, but Poehler is abysmal.
Not familiar.
Not Familiar.

I'll add Amy Schumer. She's fucking awful as well. John Cena is funnier than she is.

Calvin6s

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2016, 05:27:53 PM »
I'll add Amy Schumer. She's fucking awful as well. John Cena is funnier than she is.

I find Schumer horrible as well.  And many female comedians are crap.  As are most male comedians.

And I absolutely love comedies.  As much as I love deep dramas or sci/fi or .... comedies really are my fave form of entertainment.  Good comedy puts you in a great frame of mind.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2016, 05:30:21 PM »
Last out and out great comedy I saw was Hot Rod. A film released in 2004.

Calvin6s

« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2016, 05:34:22 PM »
Last out and out great comedy I saw was Hot Rod. A film released in 2004.
Damn.  That's one bleak world.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2016, 05:37:27 PM »
2007 *

Still a long time ago.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2016, 05:41:34 PM »
Hot Rod was okay. Samberg was actually pretty endearing and it's always nice to see Ian McShane. The falling down the hill scene was great, but a lot of the rest of the movie just fell really flat for me.

I love comedies, I, fortunately, find a lot of movies funny enough.

Though I think the last movie I laughed at intensely was Deadpool. I did NOT expect to laugh at all, yet god damn that was a funny movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »
I loved Hot Rod since it was nearly exclusively clean humour. I don't remember a lot of swearing or dirty jokes.

I won't like Deadpool.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2016, 07:14:19 AM »
I don't have a problem with female comedians, but I can't stand Melissa Mcarthy.  I've seen her schtick, and it's the only one she has, and I don't give a crap about it.

I wouldn't have wanted to see this film regardless, but her presence has guaranteed it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2016, 07:27:22 AM »
I don't have a problem with female comedians, but I can't stand Melissa Mcarthy.  I've seen her schtick, and it's the only one she has, and I don't give a crap about it.

I wouldn't have wanted to see this film regardless, but her presence has guaranteed it.

Yeah I agree. It feels like all she ever does is being clumsy and falling down a lot. And yelling hysterically. There's nothing subtle or clever about her comedy in any of the films I've seen her in. But judging by the trailer, they took all her traits and gave to Leslie Jones instead. She is the clumsy and loud one, because every comedy needs THAT character. Urgh.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2016, 08:28:40 AM »
Watched the new international trailer and I still think this looks like garbage. It has nothing to do with it being led by women. The movie just looks like it's suck balls.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2016, 08:30:54 AM »
The beauty of the original Ghostbusters is that they guys were 100% serious, and to a great extent actually knew what they were doing.  The humor came from the ridiculous situations they found themselves in, how they reacted (which was still in character, no schtick (well maybe Bill Murray a bit)), and the results.  It wasn't because they were "being funny".  You can't just assemble a bunch of comedians, throw together a script, and expect the results to be funny.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:53 AM »
The beauty of the original Ghostbusters is that they guys were 100% serious, and to a great extent actually knew what they were doing.  The humor came from the ridiculous situations they found themselves in, how they reacted (which was still in character, no schtick (well maybe Bill Murray a bit)), and the results.  It wasn't because they were "being funny".  You can't just assemble a bunch of comedians, throw together a script, and expect the results to be funny.

That is such a great point. They didn't play it like a comedy. There was no need to. The comedy was built in to the script. The actors were the fulcrum, not the level. The more obvious example is Airplane! Everyone played that movie like it was a serious situation where a plane could crash and hundreds of people could die. That made the humor all the more hilarious.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2016, 10:49:13 AM »

Excellent point. I didn't even know that it was considered a comedy until I was a teenager.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2016, 10:53:37 AM »
I saw a video where Max Landis made that point. He also brought up a film like Kingsman, which similar to the original Ghostbusters wasn't a comedy, but had comedy in it. Where Kingsman was a spy movie that happened to have a lot of comedy in it, Ghostbusters was more of a catastrophe/supernatural movie that happened to have jokes. Compare that to the new Ghostbusters which looks like it's a straight up comedy.

The best analogy I've seen so far is that the new Ghostbusters looks like an SnL skit.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2016, 10:55:09 AM »
The new movie looks like the same comedy people palling around trying to be funny, which just happens to be within the situation of a world with ghosts. The Ghostbusters part almost looks like an afterthought to make money for a weak comedy movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.