Author Topic: More shootings...are the media creating more?  (Read 29607 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Rest in Peace
Re: More shootings...are the media creating more?
« Reply #840 on: July 30, 2016, 03:32:40 PM »
That is just a subset of people committing these crimes. It doesn't account for the thugs who kill people because they "disrespected" them, hit on their girlfriend, stole their shoes, or whatever trifle thugs kill each other for.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #841 on: August 03, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »
haven't statistics shown crime including murder going down in the recent decades

it's just easier for the media to get stories when everyone has a camera in their pocket

Crime in America, including violent crime, has been dropping for decades.  Since HW Bush, at least (so it's not a "Dem/Rep" thing, necessarily).
Agreed.  But Trump doesn't agree.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #842 on: August 10, 2016, 07:40:47 AM »
Can't remember which thread we had the whole 'street protest' debate in...but last night there was a small 'protest' in Ferguson on the two year anniversary of Mike Browns death. In the video within the linked article, right around the 1:40mark, you can see a guy just standing in the middle of the road (what looks like to me looking down at his phone)....alone...at night, and he gets smoked. Shortly thereafter, the driver of the car had stopped and then members of the crowd opened fire on the car.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/metro/car-hits-protester-gunfire-briefly-erupts-at-ferguson-protest/article_5d7c259d-1dd6-5223-bd3d-bb67322cf9bd.html

I don't see how they could charge that driver with anything...especially given this video evidence.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #843 on: August 11, 2016, 11:19:30 AM »
Pathetic. Another example of "peaceful" protesters.  Can I ask why people are still protesting Brown's death?

Offline Prog Snob

• Truth is not for all men, only those who seek it.
« Reply #844 on: August 14, 2016, 09:35:13 AM »
Kudos to the driver. It appears the good Doctor got his wish.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #845 on: June 14, 2017, 06:42:00 AM »
Not good....

http://people.com/crime/virginia-police-shooting-congress-members-baseball/

One Congressman has been wounded in a mass shooting at a baseball field as GOP House members practiced baseball in a field in Alexandria, Virginia, according to multiple reports.

Multiple news outlets are reporting that House Whip Steve Scalise was shot when the gunman opened fire with a rifle shortly after 7 a.m.

Alabama Congressman Mo Brooks told CNN that up to 20 rounds were fired and that Scalise, from Louisiana, and two members of his protective detail were hit.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #846 on: June 14, 2017, 07:02:02 AM »
Sounds like he asked if it was Republicans or Democrats playing prior to opening fire. Also, seems there are conflicting reports on if the shooter is still alive. Crazy times we live in. Honestly, with the current political climate we have been living in I'm surprised there haven't more assassination attempts on politicians. 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #847 on: June 14, 2017, 07:06:44 AM »
I read on one site that the police have stated that the shooter has been taken into custody and is no longer a threat.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #848 on: June 14, 2017, 07:14:11 AM »
Wow, that's crazy.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #849 on: June 14, 2017, 07:21:32 AM »
w h a t

t h e

f u c k

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #850 on: June 14, 2017, 08:22:15 AM »
That's fucked up. He was their best shortstop.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #851 on: June 14, 2017, 03:11:12 PM »
Aaand another shooting, in San Francisco at a UPS facility. Seems a guy "had it out for the manager" so his solution was to grab two semi automatics, kill three people, then turn the gun on himself.

This was his best solution to life's troubles, and it's only getting worse and worse.
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #852 on: June 14, 2017, 09:10:01 PM »
But wait....I just had a coworker tell me that we are living in the most peaceful time in human history!!!   It must be true, right??

"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: June 14, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »
But wait....I just had a coworker tell me that we are living in the most peaceful time in human history!!!   It must be true, right??

I'm pretty sure it is true. Most peaceful doesn't mean peaceful though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline DragonAttack

« Reply #854 on: June 14, 2017, 11:31:00 PM »
Geez.....nothing has changed since

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabrielle_Giffords

....or Sandy Hook.

Will Alex Jones call this last shooting a hoax?  No, it will be a left wing conspiracy to quell the rightful 'republic'.....

oy
Queen music is a passion.  Golf is an obsession.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #855 on: June 15, 2017, 05:47:18 AM »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #856 on: June 15, 2017, 05:47:24 AM »

I can't see your pic, but that's definitely true, all things considered.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #857 on: June 15, 2017, 05:49:31 AM »
Wha?  Weird.  It's hosted by photobucket, and I can see it.

Anyway, it's a GIF from Animal House.   The part where the entire street is in complete chaos with Kevin Bacon keeps telling people "Remain calm...all is well"

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: June 15, 2017, 07:42:08 AM »
And an hour after the shooting in DC, the Virginia Governor gets up and says: "Gun violence has to stop.  We lose 93 million Americans every day to gun violence!" 

Okay.  Here's a calculator and a link to "google". 

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #859 on: June 15, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
And an hour after the shooting in DC, the Virginia Governor gets up and says: "Gun violence has to stop.  We lose 93 million Americans every day to gun violence!" 

Okay.  Here's a calculator and a link to "google".

Oh man...how did that even sound right in his head?

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #860 on: June 15, 2017, 06:12:32 PM »
That means the entire US population will be extinct before monday.  :omg:
There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard.

/Ade Edmondson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: June 16, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
The worst thing? A reporter called him on it, and he doubled down at first:  "Did you really mean '93 MILLION' Americans?"   "Yes.  93 million Amer... wait, uh 93.   93 Ameri..." and someone shuffled him away (or he took another question).   

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #862 on: June 16, 2017, 06:55:26 AM »
Well it's been nice knowing you all.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #863 on: June 16, 2017, 07:23:06 AM »
The worst thing? A reporter called him on it, and he doubled down at first:  "Did you really mean '93 MILLION' Americans?"   "Yes.  93 million Amer... wait, uh 93.   93 Ameri..." and someone shuffled him away (or he took another question).
OR - after he was questioned on his gaffe immediately, he said:
"93 million... 93 individuals a day."
"93 individuals a day?" reporter.
"Yeah" nods governor.

Then the next question follows after he has clarified. Didn't seem like the reporters were stil confused or he was trying to dodge the question.

You would be jumping down someone else's throat for such intellectual dishonesty as this post.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/06/14/mcauliffe_calls_for_gun_control_after_republican_shooting_we_lose_93_million_people_a_day.html

(At least my doubt that your version was true prompted me to look up the video to see what actually occurred).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: June 16, 2017, 04:11:41 PM »
"Yeah" nods governor.

Then the next question follows after he has clarified. Didn't seem like the reporters were stil confused or he was trying to dodge the question.

You would be jumping down someone else's throat for such intellectual dishonesty as this post.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/06/14/mcauliffe_calls_for_gun_control_after_republican_shooting_we_lose_93_million_people_a_day.html

(At least my doubt that your version was true prompted me to look up the video to see what actually occurred).

Okay, so I went off memory; how was my take different than yours?  He SAID - in both cases "93 million" again, then he went to "93".  And then he went to another question.

There's no "intellectual dishonesty" there; if he was pimping his own agenda HOURS after the latest tragedy, he wouldn't have made that gaff.   Gun control is not something to be done off the cuff and emotionally on the heels of someone else's pain (and I'm consistent on that, as I have repeatedly talked of Chris Murphy, junior Senator from my state, pimping the families of the victims of Sandy Hook in order to further his own political agenda). 

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #865 on: June 16, 2017, 05:17:49 PM »
"Yeah" nods governor.

Okay, so I went off memory; how was my take different than yours?  He SAID - in both cases "93 million" again, then he went to "93".  And then he went to another question.

There's no "intellectual dishonesty" there; if he was pimping his own agenda HOURS after the latest tragedy, he wouldn't have made that gaff.   Gun control is not something to be done off the cuff and emotionally on the heels of someone else's pain (and I'm consistent on that, as I have repeatedly talked of Chris Murphy, junior Senator from my state, pimping the families of the victims of Sandy Hook in order to further his own political agenda).
He said the words 93 million again, in the context of realising the slip he had made and then immediately correcting. It's intellectual dishonesty to pretend he "doubled down" on it in any way, or that he didn't know what stat to correct to, or that he moved on from the question before clarifying it thoroughly (as implied by equating "took another question" with "someone shuffled him away").

Criticising him for talking about gun control after a gun incident is one thing, but your post which I quoted claimed that "the worst thing" was that he doubled down on it and presenting it as though he didn't know what he was talking about (nothing to do with pushing an agenda in that post). It was this description that made me look up the incident rather than going only on headlines as I didn't think it very likely that would be true.

Just imagine someone accused a Republican of "doubling down" on something because they repeated a reporters question back to them before immediately and clearly correcting a slip of the tongue, then you would probably see why I would call that intellectual dishonesty.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 05:38:13 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: June 18, 2017, 07:42:32 AM »
"Yeah" nods governor.

He said the words 93 million again, in the context of realising the slip he had made and then immediately correcting. It's intellectual dishonesty to pretend he "doubled down" on it in any way, or that he didn't know what stat to correct to, or that he moved on from the question before clarifying it thoroughly (as implied by equating "took another question" with "someone shuffled him away").

Criticising him for talking about gun control after a gun incident is one thing, but your post which I quoted claimed that "the worst thing" was that he doubled down on it and presenting it as though he didn't know what he was talking about (nothing to do with pushing an agenda in that post). It was this description that made me look up the incident rather than going only on headlines as I didn't think it very likely that would be true.

Just imagine someone accused a Republican of "doubling down" on something because they repeated a reporters question back to them before immediately and clearly correcting a slip of the tongue, then you would probably see why I would call that intellectual dishonesty.

Well, you're dead wrong on that last point; not that any of you should know (or care) about anything of me, but a dickhead is a dickhead, left or right.    I admire Bernie FAR more than I admire Ted Cruz; I literally have NOTHING good to say about Cruz other than he is smart and an excellent - world class - debater.    My beef with the Governor is NOT partisan in any way (I honestly didn't even register his party when I first heard the gaff and reacted to it).  It is ALL about the issue, and the way in which emotional pain and suffering is increasingly being used as political capital in our government.     Good cases make bad law and all that nonsense.    Good gun policy is good gun policy whether it's an hour after a tragic shooting, or 18 months from the last tragic shooting, and Chris Murphy (and in my opinion, the Governor) do not understand that.  Or, more importantly, seem to care. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #867 on: June 19, 2017, 10:34:18 AM »
Perhaps we should not be so quick to claim to know what someone understands or cares about from exactly one statement, which appears to be an honest mistake.   The ONLY conclusion we can draw from the facts is that he made an honest mistake in his speech.  To draw conclusions about motives, what one understands/ cares about seems to ignore process and critical thinking.  We shouldn't take things at face value if those things can't even support the conclusion
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 11:06:48 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #868 on: October 02, 2017, 05:12:13 AM »
 :'(
There were times when Rik and I were writing together when we almost died laughing. They were some of the most carefree stupid days I ever had, and I feel privileged to have shared them with him. And now he's died for real. Without me. Selfish bastard.

/Ade Edmondson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #869 on: October 02, 2017, 05:59:08 AM »
Yeah... this one is bad. Horrible news to wake up to. I've watched a ton of raw video. Sounded like more than an automatic rifle. I don't know much about guns, but that sounded like a machine gun of some kind. The guy hit 200+ people.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #870 on: October 02, 2017, 06:46:34 AM »
This is brutal. I haven't heard the audio (by choice) Brian but from what you've described there's little doubt he modified whatever rifle he used to be fully automatic.

I'm curious as to what set him off? Not a lot of info about him out there right now.

Offline lonestar

• First Follower
« Reply #871 on: October 02, 2017, 07:14:10 AM »
Just speechless. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this one, yet already were seeing blame being thrown out (mostly in the direction of the left this time, even saw one post saying Antifa is taking credit...). His own brother is clueless to any motive.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #872 on: October 02, 2017, 07:38:49 AM »
Thoughts and prayers to the victims of this. This was a well thought out and planed terrorist attack. Sounds like the guy was known to police. Sad day.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #873 on: October 02, 2017, 07:47:56 AM »
Just speechless. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for this one, yet already were seeing blame being thrown out (mostly in the direction of the left this time, even saw one post saying Antifa is taking credit...). His own brother is clueless to any motive.

Yeah, his brother has been quoted as saying he 'snapped'....but like kaos just mentioned.....this was thought out and calculated. This took weeks of planning, that's not 'snapping'.....that is pure evil.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #874 on: October 02, 2017, 07:55:26 AM »

Yeah, his brother has been quoted as saying he 'snapped'....but like kaos just mentioned.....this was thought out and calculated. This took weeks of planning, that's not 'snapping'.....that is pure evil.

Would it really have taken weeks to plan? It doesn't seem like there was anything intricate here. Hotel security is basically non-existant and you can walk into a Vegas hotel at any time and get a room. It seems like the only thing the guy needed to make sure of was the date of the concert, the time of the closing set (biggest crowd), and that his room was facing the crowd. I feel like what he did could have been orchestrated over the course of an afternoon. Who knows, maybe it did take that long, but this seems like a pretty easy attack all things considered.