Author Topic: More shootings...are the media creating more?  (Read 29791 times)

Offline Calvin6s

Re: More shootings...are the media creating more?
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2015, 04:24:48 PM »
gh
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:27:25 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2015, 04:30:10 PM »
If you're standing in line at a gas station wearing your nice shiny Colt .45 for everyone to see and someone comes in to rob it....guess who they are shooting first? The dude wearing a gun.

I'm betting the majority of robberies are by people that don't want to shoot anybody.  So I doubt they'd want to start their robbery with a surprise execution.  It immediately puts you in that "oh crap.  I've gone so far that I absolutely better not get caught now."

I think the more realistic reaction is that they would just delay the robbery until that person has left.

maybe...who knows. I'm not confident enough to rule out anyone who is going to rob a store or whatever not to have it in them to just shoot the largest threat in the room. My point is....no one needs to know you have a gun
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2015, 04:54:29 PM »
g
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:27:37 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: August 11, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
If you're standing in line at a gas station wearing your nice shiny Colt .45 for everyone to see and someone comes in to rob it....guess who they are shooting first? The dude wearing a gun.

I'm betting the majority of robberies are by people that don't want to shoot anybody.  So I doubt they'd want to start their robbery with a surprise execution.  It immediately puts you in that "oh crap.  I've gone so far that I absolutely better not get caught now."

I think the more realistic reaction is that they would just delay the robbery until that person has left.

maybe...who knows. I'm not confident enough to rule out anyone who is going to rob a store or whatever not to have it in them to just shoot the largest threat in the room. My point is....no one needs to know you have a gun

I don't think it is that easy.   We can't think about this as we would in that situation, but how others would.  I think it just as likely that someone would come up to rob that gas station, see the gun, and think... "F*** this noise; I'm hitting that Exxon down the street."   I don't think either is absolute, or 100% correct, but this is one of the problems with an issue as complicated as gun ownership; it is not an acceptable evaluation to just think "what would I do?".  That's where you get into the "I don't see the need for..." arguments, which to me are totally nonsensical and inappropriate.   I don't see the need for fake tits either, but they are out there.  A lot of them.   

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: August 11, 2015, 10:14:09 AM »

On a personal note, despite being a gun owner myself, I'm not thrilled about the idea of Texas looking like Dodge City. I kind of prefer not noticing when people are packing.

The Virginia thing is odd to me. Why one should require a permit/classes and not the other doesn't make much sense.

That's what doesn't make sense to me either.  I've been told by several of my friends (including the Federal Parole office that trained me) that even though it's legal to do so, you'd better have a damn good reason for open carrying in a public place when questioned by the owner of said place (restaurants, stores, etc...) or law enforcement.

In the end there's something to be said for being part of the anonymous 5%.

On a personal note, despite being a gun owner myself, I'm not thrilled about the idea of Texas looking like Dodge City. I kind of prefer not noticing when people are packing.

I've had my CCW for...jeez....8 years now....and I'm fairly honest in P/R about my stance on gun ownership. But, for the life of me I can't see the benefit of open Carrying a gun. I didn't get my permit to be 'cool' or as a status symbol....it's to protect me and my family from any clown who thinks it's a good idea to threaten our lives.

IMO Open carry is nothing more than being a cocky, antagonistic A hole. Just because you 'can' do something doesn't mean you 'should'. If you're standing in line at a gas station wearing your nice shiny Colt .45 for everyone to see and someone comes in to rob it....guess who they are shooting first? The dude wearing a gun. I prefer no one to know that I am carrying a weapon....hence the 'conceal' part of the carry.

Not trying to offend any of you if you open carry but c'mon.....especially now days, all that does is stir up sh%t that doesn't need to be stirred.

You basically made my point... just in a more direct way  :biggrin:.  Open carry simply makes me a little bit uncomfortable... even as a person with a good deal of experience with firearms THAT IS ALSO CARRYING A FIREARM.

"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2015, 10:25:46 AM »
'Murica

Fucking lunatics.

I can understand wanting to carry a handgun around, and I'm not entirely against people wanting to carry one visibly (though I'd have no desire to). But this desire to go out in public with a rifle strapped to you is beyond me. I can't help but think there is an underlying level of paranoia or mental instability there. That person's brain is way more terrifying than the gun. Think about it. If you live in a city or country where you feel you aren't safe unless you walk around with AK-47, maybe you should think about moving to an area where you don't feel that way.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2015, 11:01:20 AM »
If you live in a city or country where you feel you aren't safe unless you walk around with AK-47, maybe you should think about moving to an area where you don't feel that way.

Again....I'm as big of gun rights guy there is around and I have failed to find one good reason for someone to have to open carry an assault rifle around. Short of the Zombie apocalypse or an outright collapse of civility and law.....IMO there is no good reason and if you are you are just doing it to be a dick, cunt...stir up crap or all of the above.

I'm gonna do something I hate doing and that is 'judge' based off a photo....but my spidey senses tell me that these two have no business owning those guns. Dude on the right just wants to 'look cool' and I'd bet $100 he has no idea how to take that weapon apart and clean it. Anyway.....

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2015, 11:09:53 AM »

I'm gonna do something I hate doing and that is 'judge' based off a photo....but my spidey senses tell me that these two have no business owning those guns. Dude on the right just wants to 'look cool' and I'd bet $100 he has no idea how to take that weapon apart and clean it. Anyway.....

I feel like the guy on the left knows what he's doing. The guy on the right looks like he can't wait for the day where he gets to actually use it.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #78 on: August 11, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

I feel like the guy on the left knows what he's doing. The guy on the right looks like he can't wait for the day where he gets to actually use it.

At the very least, the guy on the left has it in safe position and is not hovering a finger over the trigger (I can't tell if the other guy is looped inside the guard or not).

I'll side with G on this one and opine that maybe cowboy hat in the first photo, the guys at the table, and maw maw in Target (really... a shotgun for personal protection in a public place... hope it's not loaded with bird-shot) probably know how to disassemble and clean their choice of weapon.  I'll also say that IMO, unless your job requires it, you're in a parade, or George Romero is the author of your universe, carrying those weapons open gives those of us that carry day-in and day-out a bum rap.  Of course, if you carry concealed, nobody knows (no-body-knows; etrade commercial), so that bum rap can be absorbed internally.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: August 11, 2015, 12:36:49 PM »
Some of them are doing it just to make a statement, and some of them are nimrods. I think a couple of them just happened to have their weapons on them. Most of these people would spend far, far more time trying to get their weapons into the ready position than it'd take to find cover or get shot in the face.

And at least in Texas, long guns have always been an exception to the rule. They've always been legal to carry in public. Growing up you'd see them in the back windows of trucks all the time.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #80 on: August 11, 2015, 01:10:55 PM »
Some of them are doing it just to make a statement, and some of them are nimrods. I think a couple of them just happened to have their weapons on them. Most of these people would spend far, far more time trying to get their weapons into the ready position than it'd take to find cover or get shot in the face.

And at least in Texas, long guns have always been an exception to the rule. They've always been legal to carry in public. Growing up you'd see them in the back windows of trucks all the time.

Even in Connecticut, I'm old enough to remember seeing them in the gun racks behind the seat of a pickup truck.

I dunno, maybe I'm a lunatic, nimrod, or dangerous, but while I wouldn't be caught with one of those on me either, except for the Target photo (and even that...) I just don't see how this is different than seeing any of a number of people that choose to live outside of what's considered normal.   Would we post pictures of men with their nails done and comment on their mental state? 

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #81 on: August 11, 2015, 01:19:59 PM »

Even in Connecticut, I'm old enough to remember seeing them in the gun racks behind the seat of a pickup truck.

I dunno, maybe I'm a lunatic, nimrod, or dangerous, but while I wouldn't be caught with one of those on me either, except for the Target photo (and even that...) I just don't see how this is different than seeing any of a number of people that choose to live outside of what's considered normal.   Would we post pictures of men with their nails done and comment on their mental state?

No, because one is an entirely aesthetic choice while the other, if not treated with the proper respect, could accidentally blow the head off a child trying to decided between a Kit Kat or M&Ms at the candy rack in Target. The worst a guy with pretty nails is going to do is scratch you. I don't think it's fair to compare ones preference of how their body looks to someone that feels like they need to walk around with an assault weapon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #82 on: August 11, 2015, 03:14:45 PM »
I honestly would not feel comfortable walking around people like that.  I already don't like walking into Penn Station and seeing all the cops with their assault rifles and they are there to protect.  I'd have no assurance of safety standing next to some random dude with one of those guns. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: August 11, 2015, 03:42:09 PM »
I honestly would not feel comfortable walking around people like that.  I already don't like walking into Penn Station and seeing all the cops with their assault rifles and they are there to protect.  I'd have no assurance of safety standing next to some random dude with one of those guns.

Well in fairness.....most guns have redundant safety systems where a couple factors have to be in place before it'll fire. Grip safety's as well as safety switches.....single action rather than double action. I know there are accidental discharges that occur but all in all you really have to try to fire a gun to get it to fire.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #84 on: August 11, 2015, 04:50:27 PM »

Well in fairness.....most guns have redundant safety systems where a couple factors have to be in place before it'll fire. Grip safety's as well as safety switches.....single action rather than double action. I know there are accidental discharges that occur but all in all you really have to try to fire a gun to get it to fire.
Certainly you're correct about safeties and whatnot. However, and I believe you and I have discussed this before, there's a completely different mindset that comes into play when weapons are introduced. I've said that the reason I have no interest in CCW is because I don't want to have to adopt that mentality just going through the normal course of my day to day life. There's a similar thing with other people, more-so since I don't really have a sense who or what they are. While the level of risk only goes up slightly, IMO, the consequence of failure skyrockets. A statement I've made about airline pilots is that I want them to always be on their A-game, but I don't want that A-game requirement to be the difference between an uneventful flight and being a lawn dart. In this case you're now looking at eating dinner somewhere where you have to be mindful of the guy with the PSG1 over the shoulder, but also hopeful that he's not having a shitty day, confounded by numerous real-word complications eating into his valuable mental resources. It's a complication and sense of seriousness that is palpable, IMO.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline portnoy311

« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2015, 05:32:30 PM »

Certainly you're correct about safeties and whatnot. However, and I believe you and I have discussed this before, there's a completely different mindset that comes into play when weapons are introduced. I've said that the reason I have no interest in CCW is because I don't want to have to adopt that mentality just going through the normal course of my day to day life. There's a similar thing with other people, more-so since I don't really have a sense who or what they are. While the level of risk only goes up slightly, IMO, the consequence of failure skyrockets. A statement I've made about airline pilots is that I want them to always be on their A-game, but I don't want that A-game requirement to be the difference between an uneventful flight and being a lawn dart. In this case you're now looking at eating dinner somewhere where you have to be mindful of the guy with the PSG1 over the shoulder, but also hopeful that he's not having a shitty day, confounded by numerous real-word complications eating into his valuable mental resources. It's a complication and sense of seriousness that is palpable, IMO.

This is a good post, and basically sums up my thoughts. Gun control is one issue I flip flop on quite a bit, it's interesting to read everyone's take on it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2015, 08:52:58 PM »

Yeah....those are good points EB. And you're correct, having a CCW and carrying a gun does affect some of my decisions. Not so much where I go but how I act and the things I say in conversation. The consequence of failure may not just be on the weapon itself either but as we've seen the system in which 'we' are checked still has flaws to where people who maybe shouldn't own a gun do get one.

We've talked about that as well and I just don't know how you can assure a nut job who has no 'technical' record of being nuts doesn't acquire a gun? If there's no paper trail or anything to 'dig up'....how do you know or what can you do. Any type of psych evaluation is subjective and gives those who are giving the yeah or neah to a person based on their evaluation WAY to much power to do so. It's too subjective IMO.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2015, 06:46:20 AM »
j
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:28:59 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:06 AM »
This shooting today is freaking terrible. The shooter filmed himself in the first person and uploaded it. Really disturbing to watch.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2015, 11:53:45 AM »
h
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:29:10 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
I also don't plan on watching and honestly I feel like the media should not be spreading this video.  Besides being something very violent and personal, I think this is a great example of sensationalizing the crime.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2015, 12:04:19 PM »
This is the first time I can think of where the shooter filmed himself during the act....

....cue the copycat crimes in 5, 4, 3....
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2015, 12:04:24 PM »
I also don't plan on watching and honestly I feel like the media should not be spreading this video.  Besides being something very violent and personal, I think this is a great example of sensationalizing the crime.

I haven't seen any media source with the first person video. I went to youtube for that one.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2015, 12:04:42 PM »
This shooting today is freaking terrible. The shooter filmed himself in the first person and uploaded it. Really disturbing to watch.
What, did he Go-Pro the thing?

And I haven't seen the media disseminating the thing. I've seen the live, on-air footage which doesn't actually show anything graphic, but even that was a small window in only one article I saw.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2015, 12:07:02 PM »
What, did he Go-Pro the thing?

I've read it was a go-pro, but who knows. It might have been a phone. He appeared to be holding the recording device in one hand and the gun in the other. It probably wasn't a go pro. He got the video online pretty fast which makes me think it might have been a phone. That is unless go-pros can upload video to youtube (I don't know if they can).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2015, 12:10:43 PM »

I haven't seen any media source with the first person video. I went to youtube for that one.

A friend told me he watched it on yahoo but I did not verify that myself.  But my feelings spread beyond news services, like youtube twitter and whatnot although I udnerstand once it hits the internet that it's not likely to get off the internet.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2015, 12:12:01 PM »
Here's a gif from the first person clip. This clip does not show the gun fire. Nothing graphic and SFW

http://i.imgur.com/0bR9qwn.gif

It's absolutely insane how close he gets without anyone noticing. There's quite a bit more footage beyond where the gif leaves off. After drawing the gun the first time, he backs away and waits a while longer, all the while no one seems to notice him. It's almost like he waited because he knew the camera guy didn't have her in the shot.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2015, 12:26:31 PM »
f
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:29:24 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #98 on: August 26, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
CNN now reporting that his manifesto claims he was the victim of discrimination and bullying because he was gay and black.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #99 on: August 26, 2015, 12:30:46 PM »
And decided to this after the tragedy in South Carolina.

Ugh.

This story is already horrific, and is just gonna get worse now.  :(

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #100 on: August 26, 2015, 12:32:28 PM »
CNN now reporting that his manifesto claims he was the victim of discrimination and bullying because he was gay and black.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2015, 12:33:35 PM »
Just got an alert on my phone from Fox News saying that the shooter has died.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
f
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:29:40 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2015, 12:37:30 PM »
f
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:29:55 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:18 PM »
The media's presentation of this has been interesting compared to those in the past. My access has been limited here at work, but everything I'm seeing seems to be talking mostly about how great the two victims were. I'm seeing lots of photos they posted and kind words from family and friends. I see very little sharing and replaying of the video compared to shootings in the recent past. I guess the thought process around and incident like this is a lot different when the victims are your own.