Author Topic: More shootings...are the media creating more?  (Read 29562 times)

Offline TL

Re: More shootings...are the media creating more?
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
If my eyes aren't what they used to be, I have to jump through more hoops to get a driver's license.
Because the Bill of Rights didn't include the right to drive?
The US constitution was intended to be a living document though, with parts occasionally re-evaluated to suit the needs and realities of an ever changing society.

Thomas Jefferson once said this on the matter;
Quote from: Thomas Jefferson
I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

It was written at a time when cars didn't exist, and most guns were muskets.

Obviously it wouldn't be an easy or simple process, and absolutely wouldn't happen without significant cultural change in the US, but it could be done.
There's also the argument that the current interpretation of the 2nd amendment, as allowing individuals the right to own firearms, is actually quite recent. It only really came to prominence in the late 1970s.

That all said, in the short term, increased focus on mental health services and destigmatization of mental health issues would both be very helpful, and would be a heck of a lot easier than a constitutional amendment.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2015, 01:22:56 PM »
If my eyes aren't what they used to be, I have to jump through more hoops to get a driver's license.
The US constitution was intended to be a living document though, with parts occasionally re-evaluated to suit the needs and realities of an ever changing society.

I am not an advocate for frequent changes in laws and constitutions, but laws and institutions must go hand in hand with the progress of the human mind. As that becomes more developed, more enlightened, as new discoveries are made, new truths discovered and manners and opinions change, with the change of circumstances, institutions must advance also to keep pace with the times. We might as well require a man to wear still the coat which fitted him when a boy as civilized society to remain ever under the regimen of their barbarous ancestors.

Obviously it wouldn't be an easy or simple process, and absolutely wouldn't happen without significant cultural change in the US, but it could be done.
There's also the argument that the current interpretation of the 2nd amendment, as allowing individuals the right to own firearms, is actually quite recent. It only really came to prominence in the late 1970s.

That all said, in the short term, increased focus on mental health services and destigmatization of mental health issues would both be very helpful, and would be a heck of a lot easier than a constitutional amendment.

As an attorney with a reasonable amount of constitutional law experience (though I'm no Obama), I am always intrigued by these arguments.  They invariably come up in response to the kneejerk statement using the Constitution to allow for unfettered gun ownership and usage, and as such they are invariably predicated on the assumption that moving the analysis into the 21st century would automatically yield the answer of "more gun control" and "more restrictions".  But if we're going to reevaluate, why can't it go the opposite way?  I agree that it is likely that Jefferson would be taken aback at how society has changed, but even if you take the premise that the 2nd amendment was intended only to protect the individual from the state (and not each other), there have been many developments, not least of which is the massive broadening of the scope of government (which would make Jefferson's anus pucker), the broadening of scope of the military complex, the increased militarization of the police force, etc.   I have no doubt that Jefferson would at least welcome discussion on broadening (not narrowing) the 2nd amendment rights of the citizenry, if not outright accept it.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2015, 01:34:38 PM »
That's a really intriguing notion. Not sure if it'd pan out like that, though. The "Arms" of his day were so ill-suited to anything other than use in large groups that it's very possible he'd have a complete reversal if presented with the modern day equation of cheap, powerful guns for anybody that wants one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »
That's a really intriguing notion. Not sure if it'd pan out like that, though. The "Arms" of his day were so ill-suited to anything other than use in large groups that it's very possible he'd have a complete reversal if presented with the modern day equation of cheap, powerful guns for anybody that wants one.

Anything is possible, of course.  You're asking relatively pedestrian thinkers to speculate on how one of the great minds in all of history (let alone his own time period) would think.  It's foolhardy.    But I reject this notion, this "ownership" of the idea that somehow it's a fait accompli that Jefferson wouldn't be open enough to not just revert to the kneejerk "government intervention will solve the problem!" response, but rather would come up with something brilliant to address the situation better than we have to date.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2015, 03:07:23 PM »

Anything is possible, of course.  You're asking relatively pedestrian thinkers to speculate on how one of the great minds in all of history (let alone his own time period) would think.  It's foolhardy.    But I reject this notion, this "ownership" of the idea that somehow it's a fait accompli that Jefferson wouldn't be open enough to not just revert to the kneejerk "government intervention will solve the problem!" response, but rather would come up with something brilliant to address the situation better than we have to date.
To the extent that pride will allow I agree with you on all of that.

Reactionism aside, his point as expressed by cramx is certainly applicable, nevertheless. The notion of an evolving vs. concrete Constitution is a critical component of how things should work around here, and particularly with regards to gun ownership. While you might be right that the founding fathers might have decided "mandatory gun ownership for all!" had they a notion of what was to come, it's still a very different thing than "any restriction on gun ownership is unconstitutional!" Which, incidentally, is also reactionary thinking on the part of the gun lobby.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TL

« Reply #180 on: September 05, 2015, 11:55:27 AM »

As an attorney with a reasonable amount of constitutional law experience (though I'm no Obama), I am always intrigued by these arguments.  They invariably come up in response to the kneejerk statement using the Constitution to allow for unfettered gun ownership and usage, and as such they are invariably predicated on the assumption that moving the analysis into the 21st century would automatically yield the answer of "more gun control" and "more restrictions".  But if we're going to reevaluate, why can't it go the opposite way?  I agree that it is likely that Jefferson would be taken aback at how society has changed, but even if you take the premise that the 2nd amendment was intended only to protect the individual from the state (and not each other), there have been many developments, not least of which is the massive broadening of the scope of government (which would make Jefferson's anus pucker), the broadening of scope of the military complex, the increased militarization of the police force, etc.   I have no doubt that Jefferson would at least welcome discussion on broadening (not narrowing) the 2nd amendment rights of the citizenry, if not outright accept it.
That's valid.
If there were any chance of members of the US government or US judiciary debating the matter with both sides making their arguments in good faith, and willing to have it actually be a debate, I'd be all for that discussion taking place.

While it's possible for a civil discussion on this to take place on these forums, I feel like both sides of the matter are too politically charged for a real, national debate to happen, at least at the present time. It would be fascinating to see it if it actually could happen though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:13:47 PM by TL »

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #181 on: September 06, 2015, 01:36:44 AM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:35:28 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • whahibrido pickingant in action...
« Reply #182 on: September 15, 2015, 07:10:23 AM »
With the latest shooting at Delta State University, while it isn't a mass shooting, I wondered:  They described the history professor who was killed as "a beloved and accessible professor".  I never understood exactly why they do that, because it isn't like you're ever going to see an instance of this where they're truthful to the other extreme and say the victim was well known to friends and colleagues as an insufferable bastard.  I get it, speak kindly of the dead and such, but I assume the more likely motive is that the nicer a picture they can paint in your head of victim, the madder you'll be at the perpetrator of such a crime.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: September 15, 2015, 08:29:55 AM »
That's valid.
If there were any chance of members of the US government or US judiciary debating the matter with both sides making their arguments in good faith, and willing to have it actually be a debate, I'd be all for that discussion taking place.

While it's possible for a civil discussion on this to take place on these forums, I feel like both sides of the matter are too politically charged for a real, national debate to happen, at least at the present time. It would be fascinating to see it if it actually could happen though.

Call me naïve, but I'd like to think that happens in the Supreme Court.  There's a tremendous desire for people (and I know there are some here, though I am not referring to you at all, TL) to politicize the Court, and assume that behind the scenes, Scalia and Thomas are mo-fo-ing Sotomayer and Ginsberg as "liberal hippy commie freaks" and vice versa as "right-wing elitist capitalist pigs".  Nothing could be further from the truth.   They (at least Scalia and Ginsburg) are rather close friends, and both understand the need to have opposing arguments to arrive at an acceptable "truth".  It's not personal (like it gets here with some), it's not political (like it gets on the national stage with some), it's intellectual, with the common goal of setting a path for the country to navigate, where it can, with respect to the rights and liberties we enjoy as citizens. 

It's not a contest, it's not a war, it's not combat in which a foe is to be vanquished.  It is lost on most that much of the dissent was not focused on the rights at hand - in other words, the dissenters were not "anti-gay" - but rather on the process for how we as a country got to where we are.  The dissenters were far more worried (though not SOLELY so) on the mob-mentality that brought that case to the fore than they were on any so-called (and illusory) "erosion" of morals or whatever the anti-gay message is about.   They wanted - for history's sake and for precedent's sake - the right answer for the right reasons, not the probable right answer because it sounds good but was arrived at for the wrong reasons (i.e. judicial activism). 

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #184 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:40 AM »
Call me naïve, but I'd like to think that happens in the Supreme Court.  There's a tremendous desire for people (and I know there are some here, though I am not referring to you at all, TL) to politicize the Court, and assume that behind the scenes, Scalia and Thomas are mo-fo-ing Sotomayer and Ginsberg as "liberal hippy commie freaks" and vice versa as "right-wing elitist capitalist pigs".  Nothing could be further from the truth.   They (at least Scalia and Ginsburg) are rather close friends, and both understand the need to have opposing arguments to arrive at an acceptable "truth".  It's not personal (like it gets here with some), it's not political (like it gets on the national stage with some), it's intellectual, with the common goal of setting a path for the country to navigate, where it can, with respect to the rights and liberties we enjoy as citizens. 

While it's true that they remain very cordial on a personal level (Thomas and Bryer are also pretty chummy), Scalia is becoming increasingly hostile towards his colleagues in his opinions. There have been a few times when he's really come off as a tremendous tool. I thought he crossed the line a couple of times recently with his bile.

Still, I mostly agree with your point.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2015, 09:01:31 AM »
While I would like to believe your view on SCOTUS, at least Scalia's opinion on Obergefell v. Hodges doesn't exactly read like that of a person who was a tremendous amount of respect for opposing points of views.

EDIT: Basically what Barto said.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #186 on: September 15, 2015, 06:41:11 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:35:39 PM by Calvin6s »
I wish death upon Mitch McConnell and Pat Robertson in comment sections all the time. I'll admit that I'd be thrilled if either one of them died of a stroke tonight.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2015, 06:20:02 PM »
Another one.

Umpqua Community College in Roseburg OR. 10 dead, 20 injured.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - http://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2015, 06:45:17 PM »
Time for the Pres. And everyone else to blame the bad guns and not the lunatics doing the shooting. Don't blame the entertainment industry for the non stop violent films, or the over the top violent video games marketed to and sold to our kids.....definately don't blame the parents for allowing thier kids to watch or play those games. No, let's blame the guns....inanimate objects that can't operate unless a person makes it operate.

I actually like Bernie Sanders response that he released on Facebook because he wasn't over the top 'take all the guns' and he specifically addressed the mental health issue. I think obamas response was typical of him and weak and the more I hear him speak on any subject the more I want to shove a screwdriver into my eardrums.

My question is......why aren't they reporting the race or religion of the shooter yet? I'm willing to bet they know. My SPECULATION is that it's not a white male or Christian so it doesn't behoove the media to report those aspects unless he was a white male Christian. Could be totally wrong.....just odd they are only saying 20 year old male.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2015, 07:24:19 PM »
To paraphrase the president though, (nearly) every country has those violent video games and movies, and yet the US is the only country to have shootings like this with such alarming frequency.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2015, 07:28:11 PM »
No, let's blame the guns....inanimate objects that can't operate unless a person makes it operate.

Well it's worth taking a shot (!) at blaming the guns, since every other civilised member of the developed world has those exact same "violent movies" and "violent video games" you mention (incidentally DVDs and games are also "inanimate objects"), and which you are so keen to blame, and yet they don't blast the shit out of school children, college students, church goers and cinema goers on quite the regular basis your citizens do.

I (half-) jest, and I'd vowed never to post on here again, but what you wrote was the most self-contradictory and misguided nonsense I've read on here. "Guns are harmful only when used irresponsibly...so let's instead blame movies and video games!" Do you see the contradictory 'reasoning' here? This is such an absurd way to approach the problem. The issue is, yours is an extraordinarily violent nation and when you couple that with a backward attitude to mental health you get the kinds of repeated mass slaughters we have seen, and will see again with a near-monthly regularity.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 07:35:27 PM by Dave_Manchester »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2015, 07:48:36 PM »
Link to an archive to a thread on a certain internet board that I'm actually not linking so I think this is okay.

https://archive.is/KJ1LD

But if the OP actually is the murderer and this is the response behind it...I don't even know what to say. Part of me isn't surprised, but it's a shame.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2015, 08:05:51 PM »
No, let's blame the guns....inanimate objects that can't operate unless a person makes it operate.

Well it's worth taking a shot (!) at blaming the guns, since every other civilised member of the developed world has those exact same "violent movies" and "violent video games" you mention (incidentally DVDs and games are also "inanimate objects"), and which you are so keen to blame, and yet they don't blast the shit out of school children, college students, church goers and cinema goers on quite the regular basis your citizens do.

I (half-) jest, and I'd vowed never to post on here again, but what you wrote was the most self-contradictory and misguided nonsense I've read on here. "Guns are harmful only when used irresponsibly...so let's instead blame movies and video games!" Do you see the contradictory 'reasoning' here? This is such an absurd way to approach the problem. The issue is, yours is an extraordinarily violent nation and when you couple that with a backward attitude to mental health you get the kinds of repeated mass slaughters we have seen, and will see again with a near-monthly regularity.

thought about debating this a bit more with you but I don't think it's worth the time. nothing I would say would change your view and nothing you say will change mine. Incidents like this that happen in our culture shouldn't surprise this country when you consider the toxic soul crushing ingredients we are consistently feeding it. period.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2015, 08:15:04 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:35:51 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2015, 08:19:20 PM »
Reading that archive of the chat.  I don't know any of these terms.
Beta uprising
r9k
chads

I'm afraid to google them too.  Last thing I need is to get drawn into what seems to be some secret net society that plans rampages.

I was lost the entire time. What I gathered....could be wrong....was that the apparent shooter told a bunch of his buddies in that chat room what he was going to do. A couple of them told him he was a sissy and wouldn't do it.....some of them encouraged him and even gave him advice on what weapons to use and who to target....and then when he did it there were many of them that were happy and saying he was the man and a god and crap like that.

Was that what was going on there? very difficult to follow

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2015, 08:24:49 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:36:00 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2015, 08:35:43 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:36:08 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
Violent games and violent movies are probably not the problem or even really a small part of the problem.  I played *violent* video games.  I like violent dramas (Seven, Reservoir Dogs, etc), but it is more about the drama than the violence.  Probably why I've never cared for horror movies.

I played them as well and watched all the movies. I don't think they're THE problem.....just ingredients in the stew of problems.

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2015, 08:56:59 PM »
Relevant....

I distinctly remember an interview in a magazine with Jon Tardy (lead singer of Obituary), where he said (and I'm paraphrasing from memory, but not exaggerating) that he believed that *IF* someone were already "on the edge" of mental instability, that their music could be a driving force to pushing them over the edge.

Here's what I find fascinating about that statement.   Let's suppose for a moment that it's true.   What could you do about out?   Here you have a feasible hypothesis that violent music (and by extension, violent video games or whatever) is not harmful to most people and causes no problems in your ordinary average joe. But to someone who is "on the edge", and in fact may never hurt a fly in stable environment, is suddenly given a catalyst for his imbalance....   

I'm presenting this as a puzzle, but to be honest I don't think it has a solution.  (well...not in the current world anyway.   :angel: )

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2015, 08:59:28 PM »
Shooter targeted Christians.....apparently he was a Nazi / IRA sympathizer. This may come off sounding bad but it's not meant to be....I'm relieved the shooter wasn't a black muslim targeting Christians.....I think that'd have added some unneeded strife into an already tumultuous political and social atmosphere.

http://nypost.com/2015/10/01/oregon-gunman-singled-out-christians-during-rampage/

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #200 on: October 01, 2015, 09:01:54 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:36:16 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: October 01, 2015, 09:07:45 PM »
I am beyond relieved this guy wasn't a Muslim. There'd be so much more blood in the coming weeks. That could spiral out of control very quickly.

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #202 on: October 01, 2015, 09:14:30 PM »
Obama's response was essentially that it shouldn't be so easy for people so deranged to buy guns. I'm pro-gun and tend to be supportive of gun ownership, but anybody who want's to criticize that sentiment isn't using their brain. Let's not misconstrue common fucking sense as liberal simplemindedness.

Relevant....

I distinctly remember an interview in a magazine with Jon Tardy (lead singer of Obituary), where he said (and I'm paraphrasing from memory, but not exaggerating) that he believed that *IF* someone were already "on the edge" of mental instability, that their music could be a driving force to pushing them over the edge.

Here's what I find fascinating about that statement.   Let's suppose for a moment that it's true.   What could you do about out?   Here you have a feasible hypothesis that violent music (and by extension, violent video games or whatever) is not harmful to most people and causes no problems in your ordinary average joe. But to someone who is "on the edge", and in fact may never hurt a fly in stable environment, is suddenly given a catalyst for his imbalance....   

I'm presenting this as a puzzle, but to be honest I don't think it has a solution.  (well...not in the current world anyway.   :angel: )
The solution is to stop being so damned spoiled and naive to think that we can eliminate every gun-toting crazoid from shooting a place up. Shit happens.

Violent games and violent movies are probably not the problem or even really a small part of the problem.  I played *violent* video games.  I like violent dramas (Seven, Reservoir Dogs, etc), but it is more about the drama than the violence.  Probably why I've never cared for horror movies.

I played them as well and watched all the movies. I don't think they're THE problem.....just ingredients in the stew of problems.
Quick and easy access to blowjobs would solve a large number of American problems. If I ran an HMO that'd be my first line of preventive care. Stress kills.
E.F. Benson

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: October 01, 2015, 09:15:11 PM »
Reading that archive of the chat.  I don't know any of these terms.
Beta uprising
r9k
chads

Beta - weak, self conscious guys that can't get girlfriends
r9k - a board on that particular website where all the neckbeards live
chads - a person that goes to bars to pick up chicks; commonly by blocking other dudes

It is fascinating. It's an entire culture separate from reality. I guess I'm still young enough to be able to decipher what they are all saying.

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #204 on: October 01, 2015, 09:27:57 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:36:31 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2015, 09:34:18 PM »
Maybe kids are just more fucked up these days.  I used to dismiss that as "we had all our problems when I was a youth too", but reading that crap .... Nobody and I mean nobody talked like that.  People could do cruel things, but there seemed to be lines where enough people would say "whoa.  That's too far."  But nothing went as far as that chat.  Not even close.
I'm inclined to agree, but I think it's an inevitable consequence of a good thing. People like this asshole have always existed, but they tended to be isolated. Imagine if the most twisted guy in your high-school could connect with 200 people who felt just as he did. No matter how peculiar some idiot high scooler might be, there are hundreds more just like him somewhere in the world, willing to offer him all the encouragement they can muster. It sucks, but it's a facet of a world where everybody can communicate and connect, and I consider that a valuable thing.
E.F. Benson

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2015, 09:46:14 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:36:42 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Calvin6s

« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »
a
« Last Edit: April 30, 2016, 05:36:51 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline jammindude

• The Jammin Dude Show
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2015, 10:09:30 PM »
It predates John Hughes.    Didn't The Graduate make "stalking", "romantic"???

Offline Lucien

• composer
    • my music
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2015, 10:18:20 PM »
What a mess.
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves."

"The quantity of money becomes to an ever greater degree its sole effective quality. Just as it reduces everything to its abstract form, so it reduces itself in the course of its own movement to quantitative being. Excess and intemperance come to be its true norm."