Author Topic: DTF Meet Ups. Your perception from their posting.  (Read 13861 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: DTF Meet Ups. Your perception from their posting.
« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 08:54:32 AM »

Who's on the bucket list:  RJ, Nemmie, floydie, Chad, Gary, Mister Shmevin (Yes!  Believe it or not!), bosky, Nick (DAMMIT!), Orbert, JayO & Panda, Pot Pie, Jorge, ... hell, even Zook and kotowboy. :lol :heart

You too baby!  I didn't want to list my bucket list, cuz I'd invariably forget someone.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2014, 09:04:22 AM »
Most of the ones I've met don't post here anymore.  :(

But rumby and Dr DTVT are both especially special.

Wow, I'm being mentioned a lot here! :lol

Man, yeah, that was 8 years ago now, wasn't it?!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2014, 09:28:14 AM »
Who's on the bucket list:  RJ, Nemmie, floydie, Chad, Gary, Mister Shmevin (Yes!  Believe it or not!), bosky, Nick (DAMMIT!), Orbert, JayO & Panda, Pot Pie, Jorge, ... hell, even Zook and kotowboy. :lol :heart

I'm happy to chauffeur you anywhere you need to be! That's you're reward for being such fantastic company! :)

And yes, I am quite introverted. Like Zook mentioned, I tend to speak up much more online than in person, where I prefer to just sit back contentedly and listen.

I'm still waiting for round 2!

black_floyd - One of the fastest witted people I've ever met.  He's just as funny in person as he is here, and he is the type of person other people just sort of gravitate to.  We were at a bar and after a conversation with some guys they bought us a drink.  We didn't ask them to, they just wanted to.  Underneath that image you might have of him with his long hair and epic beer holding pictures is an intelligent, well-mannered, swell dude.  We have a ton of shit in common too.slut here so next time I'm in town hopefully a more proper date will be in order.

:hearts:
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2014, 09:30:46 AM »
My bucket list: Floyd, Seneca, Scorpion, Elite. Jaffa.
Crimson Sunrise. And more of course

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2014, 09:38:53 AM »
Most of the ones I've met don't post here anymore.  :(

But rumby and Dr DTVT are both especially special.

Wow, I'm being mentioned a lot here! :lol

Man, yeah, that was 8 years ago now, wasn't it?!
Yeah, that's crazy!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
I've met Cup. Sadly he wasn't wearing a Master Shake costume :(

I'd love to meet any and all of you!

(I think I probably halfway unknowingly met a few of you LA area folks through the years but I wouldn't be able to put names / events to faces)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:01 AM »
I've met 2Timer, Nick, Yeshua, and Dr. DTVT.  All have been extremely pleasant meetups.  Very nice people that I'd love to hang out with again.

2Timer, I still talk to pretty regularly.  I've filled in for his band a few times, actually.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2014, 10:41:13 AM »
Coz and I had a near miss a few years back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2014, 10:53:17 AM »
Bummed that that didn't work out, but I have no doubt that circumstances will probably present a similar opportunity at some point.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »
Actually, I think yeshaberto and Cramx3 are the only active member I've met.  Really cool cats!  I met a handful of peeps who are long gone. Lots of fantastic peeps here I'd love to break bread with or toss back a beer or two.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2014, 11:31:26 AM »
The only time I'd most likely meet some of you would be if DT plays in Denver on the 2nd leg of this tour,  or at another show in Colorado.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2014, 11:54:33 AM »
Bummed that that didn't work out, but I have no doubt that circumstances will probably present a similar opportunity at some point.

Actually, I may be in the same part of Northern VA for the same client on a different case in the near future, so you never know.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2014, 12:04:56 PM »
Would love to meet all of you, but KNH and RJ top the list.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »

Actually, I may be in the same part of Northern VA for the same client on a different case in the near future, so you never know.

Awesome.  Let me know, and I'll see what we can make happen.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »
Mason was cool as shit.  There was too many people at the bar, we need to meet up again in a quieter setting.

Chad, a few more beers in  me and you'll never know where that will lead you.......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2014, 04:00:22 PM »
Yeah, one night he got REALLY REALLY drunk and made the poor life choice of being a Bruins fan!
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2014, 04:13:53 PM »
Yeah, one night he got REALLY REALLY drunk and made the poor life choice of being a Bruins fan!

That would be chocolate milk at age 5 bub. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2014, 06:01:16 PM »
Mason was cool as shit.  There was too many people at the bar, we need to meet up again in a quieter setting.

Chad, a few more beers in  me and you'll never know where that will lead you.......

Just remember .... I'm pitching.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2014, 06:29:37 AM »
I have many long time friends I still hang out with from The Rush Forum. I have met at least 100 members. At least 25 I see on a semi regular basis.
I have known some for 10 years. My daughter has spent entire weeks with my friends family because she connected with there daughter. Its very surreal.

I have met a few from DTF and have had good experiences meeting the King, Nick, El Barto, TAC, Axeman, and others...

I personally think the real life me is much different than the online me. Online I am passionate and sometimes misunderstood. I think when people meet me in real life they see I have a great sense of humor, and am not at all combative.
I think even on this board I have evolved to a place where I think people see me in a different light than maybe they did prior to years past.
I have been voted most angry member in the past and I don't think anyone here who has met me in person would describe me as angry.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Nefarius

• Named Nefarius since before it was cool.
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2014, 07:44:31 AM »
I'm pretty much the same online and offline, that's been established during many meet ups with people from a long gone chat/forum community I've been a part of for a few years. There are several DTF regulars I could imagine having a good time with just talking or maybe grabbing an acoustic guitar and playing a few tunes.

But then again I'm quite far away from most of those people so it's rather unlikely to ever happen. Maybe there's an opportunity next time DT are in Austria, let's try and have a small meet up, if only to take a picture of a few middle fingers for the forum. :biggrin:

DT fans are usually welcome, so however remote the chance, if anyone of you ever gets to visit Graz, Austria make sure to send a message and we can arrange a chat, a tour, a bite, or a jam, open invitation to (almost) everyone.

Greetings...
Nef

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #55 on: June 05, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »

I personally think the real life me is much different than the online me. Online I am passionate and sometimes misunderstood. I think when people meet me in real life they see I have a great sense of humor, and am not at all combative.
I think even on this board I have evolved to a place where I think people see me in a different light than maybe they did prior to years past.
I have been voted most angry member in the past and I don't think anyone here who has met me in person would describe me as angry.
Uh, wasn't holding a broken beer bottle to our bartender's throat somewhat angry and combative?
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #56 on: June 05, 2014, 11:39:05 AM »

Uh, wasn't holding a broken beer bottle to our bartender's throat somewhat angry and combative?
Shit...I guess my men in black pen didn't work on you!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #57 on: June 05, 2014, 12:17:20 PM »
if anyone of you ever gets to visit Graz, Austria make sure to send a message and we can arrange a chat, a tour, a bite, or a jam, open invitation to (almost) everyone.

Greetings...
Nef

Literally thought you were American all this time. You have a very Pantera-esque southern metal look.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »
Progmetty (previously just metty - hey, where you been bud? :sad: ) is extremely nice, funny, and we had many laughs over after show eats and being able to ape on The Count of Tuscany publically.
Metty is well; hit him up the other day. He's busy with work, family and being a dissident.

Exactly that Debra, thanks for asking :)
I only met Debra and Barto, I had known Barto for longer and found him to be exactly as he puts off here, there are no misrepresentations with Barto he is exactly everything you see here which is pretty awesome really.
Debra I had just met here a few month prior to meeting her at the concert, she was so nice, simple and down to earth even to people she had just met and followed her and her family down the streets of Austin looking to find a restaurant :lol, she introduced me to her cool family and we had a super filling dinner together while cracking DT jokes which I haven't tried to do in a non-typing format prior to that hehe, thanks to her also I now know that "grub" means food, been using it ever since  ;D
One more thing about Barto for those who haven't met him if you want a visual approximation -and Debra correct me if I'm wrong- he's 80% The Dude and 20% Otto.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Arry

• Only the good die young...
  • There is only one Um...
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2014, 04:58:40 PM »
I've met countless memebers on the DT.net board. Most of them at TGM before the Radio City show... Prob 200 people at the bar before hand. Out of those people, I made some dear friends, and most importantly, found the future Mrs. 'Arry... I can say knowing a few very well. Most people's postings are representative of some of their personalities. Some traits more than others...

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2014, 05:38:23 PM »
Progmetty (previously just metty - hey, where you been bud? :sad: ) is extremely nice, funny, and we had many laughs over after show eats and being able to ape on The Count of Tuscany publically.
Metty is well; hit him up the other day. He's busy with work, family and being a dissident.

Exactly that Debra, thanks for asking :)
I only met Debra and Barto, I had known Barto for longer and found him to be exactly as he puts off here, there are no misrepresentations with Barto he is exactly everything you see here which is pretty awesome really.
Debra I had just met here a few month prior to meeting her at the concert, she was so nice, simple and down to earth even to people she had just met and followed her and her family down the streets of Austin looking to find a restaurant :lol, she introduced me to her cool family and we had a super filling dinner together while cracking DT jokes which I haven't tried to do in a non-typing format prior to that hehe, thanks to her also I now know that "grub" means food, been using it ever since  ;D
One more thing about Barto for those who haven't met him if you want a visual approximation -and Debra correct me if I'm wrong- he's 80% The Dude and 20% Otto.

If you mean Otto from A Fish Called Wanda Bart is my new hero.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
Lessee...actually hung out with ZeppelinDT, Mebert, and the distinguished El Barto.  All as advertised.

Briefly met Neon at the DT show in Huntington, as well.

Oh, and I've consulted for bosk1, though we've never met.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2014, 07:36:41 AM »

More like Simpsons Otto, who's actually less cartoonish than the Otto from A Fish Called Wanda :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2014, 09:58:18 AM »

Awesome.  Let me know, and I'll see what we can make happen.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2014, 11:35:13 AM »

More like Simpsons Otto, who's actually less cartoonish than the Otto from A Fish Called Wanda :lol

:lol

Well I've been told I look like Dom Deluise so........ :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2014, 01:23:28 PM »
The only DTF'er I've ever met offline is Splent.  He was in a Gentle Giant cover band and they were playing within driving distance of me.  I didn't know his real name, so I just called him Splent until he corrected me.  But he's exactly the same in person as online.  Sadly, Splent doesn't post here much anymore (the good news is that it's because he is a teacher and has a baby daughter and thus no free time) so you'll just have to take my word for it.  Also, the band was really, really good, but again you'll just have to take my word for it because they broke up. :(

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2014, 07:25:03 PM »
Met Rumby, King and Axeman in Boston one night. Very cool guys and I seem to remember it took 90 minutes before Kevin Moore came up.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2014, 08:03:50 PM »
I met OdinsCourt once. Was kinda weird, I think he was freaked out at meeting a DTF (well, dt.net back in the day) in real life. I saw his band live, but sadly I can't say I enjoyed the gig too much.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2014, 08:45:32 PM »
Nobody's met me, and considering I basically live on the moon in terms of isolation and don't have a way to go places at the moment it probably won't happen any time soon. ;)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
Met Rumby, King and Axeman in Boston one night. Very cool guys and I seem to remember it took 90 minutes before Kevin Moore came up.

And it was all my fault.  My bad. :lol