Author Topic: Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #1 that is why you fail  (Read 22872 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #1 that is why you fail
« on: June 02, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »
Ha ha, ok sorry about the hyperbole there in the subject.

Okay, here's the deal. This is not a top 50 prog metal list. It's nicmos's top 50 list. A little about my tastes: I grew up listening to music in my mom's car on cassette, so it was her tastes. She liked showtunes and what you might call easy listening of the 60s-70s era. I took music lessons, practiced piano, but never went very far with it. I also listened to classical music at my grandparents' house, mostly Bach.

But I didn't really re-discover music until my older brother started driving, and he drove me around in the car listening to his music on CD. Funny, until I wrote this I didn't realize how much my musical experience was influenced by car-listening! Well, my brother had gotten into Rush, and this was the transformative moment for me. As I explored my own tastes I delved into more classical, metal, and electronic, as well as remembering the things I liked the most from my youth. I consider myself an appreciator of classical music, although no proper classical shows up on the list, and mostly this is because the music wasn't composed as albums. This is too bad because there are some grand orchestral pieces which are among my absolute most treasured music. But orchestral music, in the form of movie scores, shows up often. I think it's reasonable to count these since they were composed in a block. There's one musical theatre soundtrack in the list too. There are some more mainstream (you might call them pop, which I guess is sort of the definition since they have broad appeal) music albums as well, so brace yourself for the chance to be elitist and tell me how much more sophisticated your tastes are than mine! :) But rest assured, there are at last count 10 of the top 20 bands from Big Hath's tabulated forum favorites. A lot of albums you are all too familiar with, but I guarantee at least a couple that are on no one else's lists, and things I bet you will enjoy if you havent' given them a try yet.

One more note regarding my criteria for what makes a top album: The whole thing has to be good. If an album has 4 great songs and 4 forgettable ones, it doesn't make the list for me. As you'll see with some of these, there's the occasional clunker song, but the way I think about it is if you took out any stinkers, does what you have left still make enough of a great album for a full listening session? That's my thought process. So with that, let's get started! And I'm just going to warn you that 3 of the first 4 (counting down, that is) are movie scores but it gets back to mostly rock music pretty quickly, so don't tune out too fast.

And we're off!

50. Stone Temple Pilots - Core (1992)

One of the "Core" albums of the grunge era, this album doesn't get as much credit as I think it deserves.  The melodic structures are top notch for what some might think is a low-brow band.  More importantly, it has the STP signature use of nonstandard rock chords.  While I like some of the songs on their later albums a lot, I think lead singer Weiland's cooky-ness took the band in a weird direction (Big Bang Baby anyone?) and there's a lot of filler or non-rock songs that just don't work for me on those releases.  But here, combine 7th and 9th chords (or who knows what else, I don't play so it's not immediately recognizable) with plenty of guitar chug and well-placed sustain, and it's a winning formula.  Favorites:  Sex Type Thing, Sin, Piece of Pie, Plush  Missteps: Creep

49.  John Williams - Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981/2008 expanded-release)

But it's a movie score!  You can't do that!  Oh yes I can.  Just because John Williams writes for 100 players instead of 4 doesn't mean he can't write astounding music.  And astounding music it is.  Here, in the score to the beloved action classic, Williams conjures adventure and excitement like no one else can, and no one else has almost since.  The iconic Raiders theme shines, especially the "B"-theme, in the action music towards the climax.  Combined with a great love theme, and sinister themes for the Ark of the Covenant and a Hebrew motif, it draws you in and you can't help but feel like a kid watching one of the most joyful cinematic experiences out there.  Favorites: Flight from Peru, The Map Room: Dawn, Desert Chase, The Miracle of the Ark, Washington Ending (End Credits)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:33:03 AM by nicmos »

Offline senecadawg2

Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:46:59 AM »
I've heard a single song from Stone Temple Pilots (thanks, _floyd!), and enjoyed it, but still haven't gotten around to giving any full album a listen.

And I've never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark, so no luck there. I look forward to seeing what comes up later!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »
And I've never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark
This needs to be rectified.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 08:59:11 AM »
So I've been told...

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2014, 09:31:15 AM »
So I've been told...

No, you don't understand, man. That needs to be rectified.

Also, totally following this countdown! I love the inclusion of John Williams in here, nicmos! :tup
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2014, 10:35:18 AM »
Sex Type Thing is one of my favorite 90's rock songs. Loved that when it came out. Just never got into anything else I heard by STP.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:01 PM »
Sex Type Thing is one of my favorite 90's rock songs. Loved that when it came out. Just never got into anything else I heard by STP.

Sex Type Thing is a very good song.  I agree, don't care for anything else from STP

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2014, 12:32:05 PM »
Sex and Violence off of No.4 is a similarly good song, imo, although not as menacing.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wptJ4bD8zI

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2014, 01:51:19 PM »
So I've been told...

Also, totally following this countdown! I love the inclusion of John Williams in here, nicmos! :tup

Seriously ... Stop whatever you're doing right now and watch this movie.

Following
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »
So I've been told...

Following

Or watch my signature for the Cliff Notes version.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 05:37:42 PM »
Following.

Never really clicked with STP.

It's actually cool to see a soundtrack to check out.  I can't even keep up with the small scene I like (rock/metal) with new releases and discovering old classics - now with the help of the Discog threads - let alone soundtracks..............and I know there is so much good stuff on soundtracks.

my dad went through a stage where he was always on my case, getting me to track down stuff for him done by Lalo Schifrin with Eric Clapton for movie/tv and so I have some sort of appreciation for the great , little known soundtrack/score stuff that's out there and will check out your recommendations.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 05:56:07 PM »
I actually own one soundtrack on CD. It's the soundtrack to Legend. Tangerine Dream. I always thought the music was cool in that movie.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:13 PM »
So I've been told...

Following

Or watch my signature for the Cliff Notes version.

Spoilers!  >:(

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • żDe qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 08:03:12 PM »
I'll be following this :hat.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. I walk in the black light
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 10:18:33 AM »
48. Michael Giacchino - The Incredibles (2004)

Continuing with the movie scores, some consider Michael Giacchino the heir to John Williams. I think he's really good, but hasn't lived up to that (unattainable) mantle. However, his jazz-infused superhero music for this great Pixar film manages the perfect balance between the playfulness of jazz and the pump-it-up excitement of Williams-esque orchestral writing. Surprisingly I learned how good it was when the marching band at my school played an arrangement of the end credits. My office was right next to the practice field; I must have heard it 50 times, but never got tired of it. Favorites: Life's Incredible Again, 100-Mile Dash, The Incredits

47. James Horner - Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)

Star Trek was a somewhat-popular TV series, and then they got the idea to capitalize on Star Wars mania and bring it back to the big screen. The first movie in 1979 was received underwhelmingly, although it is a decent if sci-fi-y movie (nothing wrong with that). Their next outing, they went for a more straightforward dramatic plot, involving revenge as well as a device of great power that could bring life to dead planets. The drama was accompanied by music from young composer James Horner, who pretty much nailed it. His score for the movie encapsulates danger, suspense, and the grandiosity of space all in one. One can even forget what happens in the movie and still find this music all very enjoyable. He noticeably uses swirling strings, snare drum and anvil to great effect, and it gets your blood pumping. Horner's danger motif was so good, he has recycled variants of it in many of his other movie scores (which some people are bothered by; I agree the self-plagiarism can be distracting if you notice.) All told, this is great film music, and in my opinion not only the best Star Trek music, but one of the best film scores of all time. Favorites: Main Titles, Surprise Attack, Battle in the Mutara Nebula, Genesis Countdown

46. Frost* - Milliontown (2006)

Melodic compositions with some muscle (not too much), pop sensibilities, but with plenty of room to breathe. That's how I'd describe Frost*'s approach. It was only in the last year or two that I came across this, thanks to DTF. Jem Godfrey knows how to write good music, and it's accessible and easy to slide right in, not hard like a lot of bands. Undoubtedly related to his experience with other pop artists. I guess it shows that I am still a pop fan at heart. It just takes good music to bring it out. Favorites: Hyperventilate, Black Light Machine, Milliontown

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 10:28:35 AM »
love the Incredibles score!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 05:23:29 PM »
I've never been much to dig into movie scores, but John Williams is a master composer.

Frost* is amazing. Though I think I prefer Experiments.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2014, 05:29:13 PM »
Another couple I haven't heard, and Frost*. I've seen that one get so much praise, but never really checked it out.  :-\
Maybe now is the time to do so.

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2014, 05:32:56 PM »
The scores for Wrath of Khan and The Incredibles are both fantastic! :hefdaddy :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2014, 05:33:59 PM »
Love Core and Milliontown and my best friend would freak out with your movie soundtracks.  The man owns every CD of every movie ever!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 05:52:24 PM »
More to check out...........no idea on the movie scores and I have the Frost (unplayed) somewhere around here.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 06:59:59 PM »
I've never been big on movie scores. Some are fantastic to go along with said movie but I can't imagine listening to one by itself.

I've heard good things about that Frost* album. Should check it out soon.

Anyway, definitely gonna follow this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 07:05:06 PM »
That Frost album is a music win.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 09:36:51 PM »

Frost* is amazing. Though I think I prefer Experiments.

Yeah Experiments is great, i find it just doesn't hold my attention as much, so I like listening to it while I'm working.  I can listen to Milliontown on its own and be satisfied.  Actually my favorite thing from Frost* is The Dividing Line (off the Philadelphia Experiment) which is jawdroppingly good.  too bad it's just tacked on to that live album.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
I live in hope that one day Jem will actually release another Frost* album.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 06:37:01 AM »
I have listened to that Frost* album and enjoyed it - though I haven't been tempted to go back to it.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums of the galaxy v. Careful what you wish...
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »
Ok, thanks for indulging my interest in movie scores (although there's a few more to come).  Back to some more familiar ground for the time being.

45. Genesis - Duke (1980)

Genesis is one of those bands in the pantheon of prog rock, not to mention one that gained quite a bit of mainstream popularity in the 1980s. I grew up loving the music from Invisible Touch. I still think it's great. This was long before I knew Genesis was also a prog band from the 70s. So I repeatedly tried to get into their 70s stuff, and while I like a lot of it, no full album really held my attention, until I finally listened to Duke. While not as proggy as Gabriel or even late-70s Genesis, it is definitely one of those albums that is a journey. What can you say? The way they re-use and tie in themes from the different songs, along with the optimistic ending makes this a great journey indeed. Favorites: Behind the Lines, Duchess, Turn it on Again, Duke's Travels

44. Metallica - Load (1996)

This might be a controversial pick to some. As if the Black Album wasn't enough of a sell-out, the gods of 80s thrash metal, Metallica, take an even more commercial turn here. Does it sound like their earlier work? Not really. But the test is, if you ignore all the baggage that comes with being Metallica, and just listen to the music, it is some of the best hard rock with metal flourishes ever created. James' singing here reaches new heights and I'd say his vocal performance is among the all-time best, and certainly one of my favorites. I wish I could sing like him. No thrashy solos from Kirk, and the tempos are a little more deliberate, but the songs are well-constructed and the chunky guitar sounds just raise your testosterone level in a way that thinner buzzsaw metal sounds don't. The first 5 tracks are my favorite run, and even though there are a couple missteps in my estimation, I know that many out there love the songs on this one I like the least, and there are 14 songs so there's more than enough to justify the greatness of this album. My favorites on this album may even be unpopular, but that's why it's my list. Favorites: 2x4, The House That Jack Built, King Nothing, Wasting My Hate, Mama Said Missteps: Hero Of The Day, Ronnie

43. Joe Satriani - Crystal Planet (1998)

Satch had been writing killer guitar rock tunes for over a decade (like the impeccable Flying in a Blue Dream), but in my estimation his albums were uneven, and let's face it, his vocal work wasn't the strong point on some of the tracks (at least for me anyway). Here there are no vocals, just a variety of great rocking guitar songs. He manages to have a wide variety of well-crafted songs so it doesn't feel redundant. Uptempo energetic, he can do that. Shredding solos, oh yeah ( I still remember the first time I heard the solo for Ceremony when they were playing it on the floor as I was walking into Tower Records back in '98 and I was blown away. I knew I had to listen to more where that came from.) Flowing, grooving, soaring, you name it, Joe nails it on this album. Favorites: Crystal Planet, Raspberry Jam Delta-V, With Jupiter in Mind, Ceremony

Offline Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 07:41:46 AM »
Interesting picks, man! :tup

I'm curious to see what other Williams score(s) we might see later on... Star Wars perhaps? :biggrin:
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 07:56:35 AM »
I can certainly relate to the artists being top 50 contenders but not so much the albums..............

Load I don't feel strongly about one way or another - don't really like it , don't really hate it..........it just is  ;D

Crystal Planet is probably the last Satriani album I would really rate high but for me it's half killer only and not as consistent as his earlier stuff (s/t aside)...........good pick though and nice to see Satch get a spot  :tup

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 07:58:27 AM »
I can certainly relate to the artists being top 50 contenders but not so much the albums..............

Load I don't feel strongly about one way or another - don't really like it , don't really hate it..........it just is  ;D

don't worry, Load isn't the highest-ranked Metallica album on my list ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 08:37:30 AM »
Great write up for Load. Love classic Metallica, but Load is just ....a Load!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Not a big Metalllica fan and Load for me was ok.

crystal PLanet is an ok Satch album too but I was going off his stuff by this point. 1st 3 were great, things started to slip with The Extremist with too many tracks that didn't hit me. I was bored by the ST and things got worse from there (Engines Of Creation was dire) but have picked up a bit in the last couple. Still, I lost a bit of interest when the "fun" factor seemed to slip. FIABD made my top 50, and I love Stch's vocal stuff. Just not Chickenfoot.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 11:30:04 AM »
yeah I know what you mean about the fun factor.  but in the end I think the quality on this album is more consistent, and a little more mature to my liking.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 04:05:35 PM »
70's Genesis is too artsy and out there for me, 80's Genesis is too sappy for me

Metallica is great, but the load/reload discs did nothing for me

Satch is fantastic.

I wonder if thats the first time Load or Reload made a top 50

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 04:41:27 PM »
70's Genesis is too artsy and out there for me, 80's Genesis is too sappy for me

Metallica is great, but the load/reload discs did nothing for me

I wonder if thats the first time Load or Reload made a top 50

I think I saw Load on someone else's list, but if not I'm happy to be the first.

and Duke is right in that sweet spot between the artsy-too out there and shmaltzy commercial, I think that's why I like it.  Turn It On Again is a great song, I think it's hard to argue with that.