Author Topic: Outcrier's Top 50 - The Song is Over (50/50)  (Read 17818 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. 12/50
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2014, 06:49:06 PM »
GR = Best Opeth album.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »
Ghost Reveries is my second favorite Opeth album at the moment, just behind BW. :tup

I've heard great things about that PTH album. Have to give it a listen soon.

Offline adace

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »
Great update. :tup Fortress is definitely one of my favorite prog metal albums. The energy of that band/album is just unparalleled.

I remember listening to that Stooges album one time and digging it. I'd say it's one of the most intense albums from that period. Easy to see why it influenced so many punk bands.

GR :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy Best Opeth album imho.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2014, 12:07:19 PM »
GR = Best Opeth album.
GR :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy Best Opeth album imho.
My favorite by Opeth and the introduction to their music (along Heritage i guess). I don't know if that influenced me never getting into BP and SL.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 12:13:22 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. Images of Rainbows (15/50)
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
Nas - Illmatic (1994)

Genre: Hip Hop

Hip Hop reputation is one of the biggest injustices in music. It takes a lot of sh*t because, generally, people only knows the poorest examples of it (unlike other styles).
Now, listen carefully to what i will say: Hip Hop is good as Rock/Metal/Jazz/You name it. Like all these genres, it has a great amount of quality music, one of them being this album.
For those who don't have clue, see Illmatic as one of the Hip Hop equivalents to Abbey Road/OK Computer/Dark Side of the Moon, an iconic release for music in general that mix Nas poetic lyrics about his own experiences living in the city as a teenager plus some of the greatest producers ever (DJ Premier, Large Professor,Pete Rock and Q-Tip) bringing their A game, sampling jazz, unknown stuff like "Thief of Bagdad" movie score for "Represent" and more.
Despite all the accolades, i don't think Illmatic is the best place to start if you wanna get into Hip Hop because it will not change your view of it that much (i will talk about this later, when best suited stuff for initiation shows up here). Still, if you wanna try, go for Life's a Bitch, Hard to Tell or State of Mind.

Favorite songs: It Ain't Hard to Tell, Life's a Bitch, Represent, N.Y. State of Mind, The World Is Yours

Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)

Genre: Progressive Metal/Really obscure :)

Not much to say about, just one thing: In a genre like this, it's a very difficult task to craft acessible/memorable songs and that is the reason Images stands out, Dream Theater just wanting to write some good music and showing that they are more than a couple of virtuosos.

Favorite songs: Learning to Live, Take the Time, Under a Glass Moon, Metropolis Pt. 1, Pull Me Under

Radiohead - In Rainbows (2007)

Genre: Alternative Rock/Beautiful Music/Radiohead/ :heart/ :hefdaddy

If this was a ranking, i would have a lot of doubt about were to place some albums. The exception is this, my number 1. In Rainbows is Radiohead at their most beautiful, emotional, laid back and easy listen. Basically, they go back to alternative rock as the main core but still utilizing elements of electronic music, creating rich soundscapes that, combined with the surprising personal lyrics, brings an unheard warmth to their sound.
Most songs here follow a mix of conventional songwriting coupled with the post-rock formula of calm at the beggining, beautiful/epic climax at the end (without the slow build ups). In my opinion, Reckoner is the highest point of the album and one of the greatest songs ever, 5 minutes of pure magic (THAT outro). 
Wrapping it up, for 99% of all bands this late in their career, In Rainbows would be that album that is good but nowhere near the level of the oldies or a downright dissapointment. The problem is, this is no ordinary band. They still manages to release material great as the iconic OK Computer and Kid A. F*cking Radiohead.   

Favorite songs: Reckoner, All I Need, Jigsaw Falling Into Place, 15 Step, Nude, Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 07:15:45 AM by Outcrier »

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2014, 07:54:30 PM »
common to see that Images and Words album in top 50 lists; shows how amazing it is

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2014, 07:58:54 PM »
I've recently been getting into more hip hop and Illmatic is definitely on my list. I&W needs no introduction. :hefdaddy

Not the biggest fan of Radiohead.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2014, 09:31:54 PM »
common to see that Images and Words album in top 50 lists; shows how amazing it is

of the 50 lists I've compiled, I&W appears in 62% of them.  The next highest album is SFAM at 42%, then 6DOIT at 40%.

The highest percentage of a non-DT album is Blackwater Park at 38%.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 06:57:01 AM »

of the 50 lists I've compiled, I&W appears in 62% of them.  The next highest album is SFAM at 42%, then 6DOIT at 40%.

love the stats!! your're the man Hath

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2014, 07:10:37 AM »

I'm kinda surprised it's not a Maiden, Floyd, or Rush album.  Maybe because those three have more albums than Opeth for people to debate which is the best?  Or perhaps because BP is clearly the most superior Opeth album.

Not to derail this, but Hath... which acts have the most # of albums mentioned?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »
In Rainbows is my favorite Radiohead album and definitely in my top 10 albums of all time. It was a great first listen and it ever keeps growing. The absolute highlight of their career, because it merges their older altrock/melodic sensibilities with the revolutionary work of their electronic era.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »
In Rainbows is really great!  :hefdaddy

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2014, 08:48:29 AM »
your impassioned plea about Hip Hop is enough to make me want to give it more of a chance.  but you said not to start here.  where would you recommend starting then?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2014, 09:30:04 AM »
Rapper's Delight
Winger would be better!

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2014, 09:56:05 AM »
your impassioned plea about Hip Hop is enough to make me want to give it more of a chance.  but you said not to start here.  where would you recommend starting then?

First: No rapping. Start with something instrumental or downtempo stuff so you can "get" the beauty of beatmaking and sampling.
Personally, i recommend these:

DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
J Dilla - Donuts
Boards of Canada - Any old album
Portishead - Any album
Blockhead - Music by Cavelight
Nujabes - Methaporical Music or Modal Soul

Second: If you happens to dig it, rap time. Try some abstract/experimental hip hop.

Madvillain - Madvillainy (Madlib, MF DOOM and this album are the main reasons i turned into a hip hop head)
MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday, Take Me To Your Leader, Vaudeville Villain and MM Food.
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »

I'm kinda surprised it's not a Maiden, Floyd, or Rush album.  Maybe because those three have more albums than Opeth for people to debate which is the best?  Or perhaps because BP is clearly the most superior Opeth album.

Not to derail this, but Hath... which acts have the most # of albums mentioned?

ok, finally able to look at this . . .   I assume you are talking about unique albums.  Here are the artists that have 10 or more unique albums in top 50 lists.

Devin Townsend et al - 15 unique albums mentioned
Dream Theater - 12
Rush - 12
Iron Maiden - 11
Opeth - 10
Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson etc - 10

Pink Floyd has 7 unique albums mentioned.  After I&W, SFAM, 6DOIT, and Blackwater Park, Wish You Were Here comes in 5th appearing on 36% of lists.

Rush's highest percentage album is Moving Pictures at 18%.

To get to the first Maiden album, you have to go down to 16% (Somewhere in Time and Powerslave).
Winger would be better!

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. The Land of K and K (18/50)
« Reply #52 on: June 13, 2014, 05:34:46 PM »
Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink (1971)

Genre: Canterbury Scene/Progressive Rock

Essential progressive rock. Just listen to Nine Feet Underground (20 minute epic jam) and you will see why In the Land of Grey and Pink is revered within the prog circles. 

Favorite songs: Nine Feet Underground, Winter Wine, In the Land of Grey and Pink

Protest the Hero - Kezia (2006)

Genre: Melodic Metalcore/Progressive Metal/Epic Corny Metal

After enjoying Fortress a lot, the next step was to try Kezia, their conceptual debut, as well. This time around, the balance leans much more towards melodic metalcore than progressive metal and the band sounds a lot like these typical mainstream emo bands (which was the reason Kezia took a while for me to appreciate it).
The difference is, they pick that and mash together with their technical playing and frantic pace, creating some really awesome and fun songs.
To this day, Kezia his viewed as their strongest effort, a view that i share (mostly due to it being PTH at their most cheesy, epic and emotional  :P).

Favorite songs: She Who Mars the Skin of Gods, Turn Soonest to the Sea, The Divine Suicide of Kezia, Blindfolds Aside, Heretics & Killers

Sigur Rós - Kveikur (2013)

Genre: Post-Rock/Sigur Rock  ;)

Already knowing about Sigur Rós (various songs included), i decided to give their new album a chance after seeing how good it has being received. Kveikur didn't disappoint. The first thing i noticed was the dark atmosphere during Brennistein, very different than anything they ever done before. There is also a lot of industrial influence during the album, including some great pounding drums. Yet, it not reflects 100% the sound of Kveikur though, you can find plenty of the old
hopeful Sigur Rós in tracks like Isjaki or Stormur. 

Favorite songs: Hrafntinna, Brennisteinn, Kveikur, Bláþráður

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2014, 06:31:26 PM »
In the Land of Grey and Pink is a classic. I love how the first side of the album is more catchy and pop-orientated, while the second side consists of one of the greatest progressive rock epics.

I like Kveikur, but I kind of miss the keyboards in Sigur Ros's sound. Still a good album though.

Offline adace

« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »
Very interesting and awesome picks. :tup

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2014, 12:46:30 AM »
I haven't listened to In the Land of Grey and Pink in so long. Amazing album.

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 v. The Illest Villains (21/50)
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2014, 10:09:22 PM »
Classic level over 9000:

Genius/GZA - Liquid Swords (1995)

Genre: Hardcore Hip Hop/Dope album cover  :hat

Liquid Swords is a stone cold classic released by GZA, a member of Wu-Tang Clan. Most of them appears here as well so, it's pretty similar to 36 Chambers (their debut): some fantastic MCs rapping over lo-fi gritty beats produced by RZA (not to be confused with GZA) and lots of old kung-fu movies samples. I slightly prefer this over 36 Chambers due to RZA outdoing himself with the production work and GZA, being at the peak of his lyricism, having much more mic time.

Favorite songs: Cold World, Duel of the Iron Mic, 4th Chamber, Shadowboxin', Living in the World Today, B.I.B.L.E.

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless (1991)

Genre: Shoegaze (yeah)/Dream Pop

In recent years, i "discovered" a lot of music genres, Shoegaze being one of them. It instantly ignited my curiosity ("What this type of music sounds like?"), which lead me to My Bloody Valentine and their transcendental 2nd album.
I imagine that Loveless should be a grower for most people (his iconic status + it's the first shoegaze album anyone listen to) but, personally, i already understood why it's so adored during my first listen. All the songs here, while having simple structures, have tons and tons of layers that brilliantly heightens them, reaching a colossal dream-like noisy sound (perfectly fitting for Bilinda Butcher's angelic vocals) that is definitely hard to explain in words.
The problem is, if you stripped down Loveless of all it's tricks, it would continue to be very good anyway (Sometimes and Soon being great examples).

Favorite songs: Sometimes, Soon, Only Shallow, Come In Alone, I Only Said

Madvillain - Madvillainy (2004)

Genre: Abstract Hip Hop

During 2003, two underground hip hop legends joined forces. Madlib + MF DOOM, the supervillain = Madvillain.
After months of work and hype escalating astounding levels, these guys honor they status and release something truly legendary.
Madvillainy, in a nutshell, is abstract hip hop heaven. Superbly produced by Madlib, it features some of his best samples of music (look out for how he cut "Airport Love Theme" for the making of "Curls") and cartoons/movies/tv series which, in response, perfectly complements MF DOOM odd rapping style, spitting complex, often comical lyrics about his villainous deeds (comic book stuff) and random nonsenses that only he manages to make interesting. I was already acquainted with a lot of instrumental beats and other things but this album alone turned me into a full blown hip hop head.
Madvillainy belongs in the highest pantheon of hip hop (and music in general) together with the likes of 36 Chambers, Illmatic, Liquid Swords and, from all of them, it's my personal recommendation for anyone here who wants to be enlightened.

Favorite songs: Money Folder, Curls, All Caps, Supervillain Theme, Figaro, Fancy Clown, Rhinestone Cowboy, Raid, Meat Grinder, Shadows of Tomorrow

Finally (and getting this off my chest), i just have to praise artists like Madlib and MF DOOM. Both are pretty down-to-earth guys just wanting to make some good music and not giving a f*ck to appearances (DOOM even hangs out with his metal mask  :lol) or how unfriendly commercial they are. Brings me a lot of joy that people like this still exists.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 12:53:22 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2014, 05:07:11 AM »
Great update!  :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
Both Loveless and Madvillian are completely addicting. Kveikur is definitely not my favorite Sigur Ros album but it's great.  :tup

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 - Scenes from a Mirage (24/50)
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »
The Beatles - Magical Mistery Tour (1967)

Genre: Psychedelic Pop/Pop Rock/Beatles on drugs

My favorite Beatles record, MMT (mono mix preferably) is the fab four at their most psychedelic. They push what Pop music can be even further here, efficiently combining some already excellent songs with obscure, even progressive elements. The stretch from You Mother Should Know to Penny Lane is incredible if you pay attention to the time this was released. Strawberry Fields Forever take the cake though, one of the greatest songs i've ever heard. Written by John Lennon, two takes was recorded for it, each one with different keys and tempos. Martin and Emerick (producer and sound engineer) joined them by compensating the differences in key by increasing the speed of the slow take and vice-versa, something that today shouldn't be hard to do with computers but, keep in mind it was f*cking 1967  :o  (Later Beatles music, in general, utilizes a lot of really interesting innovative studio tricks).

Favorite songs: Strawberry Fields Forever, The Fool on the Hill, Your Mother Should Know, Penny Lane, I Am the Walrus

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From a Memory (1999)

Genre: Dream Theater kicking ass/Progressive Metal

Finally, we reach my old number 1º. Scenes From a Memory is Dream Theater at their most ambitious. Everyone is firing on all cylinders here, not only in playing but writing as well.
Scenes contains some of the best collection of guitar/vocals melodies and instrumental passages i've ever heard from them, some examples being Fatal Tragedy badass outro, Beyond This Life Zappaesque jam, Home guitar solo and the entire Dance of Eternity.

PS.: I've have a confession to make though. First time i listened to SFAM, i slept during Beyond This Life  :rollin

Favorite songs: Fatal Tragedy, Home, Beyond This Life, The Dance of Eternity, Finally Free, Strange Déjà Vu

Camel - Mirage (1974)

Genre: Progressive Rock/Symphonic Prog

After Progressive Metal, i was willing to try classic Progressive Rock. In the beginning, i didn't enjoyed bands like Genesis or Yes and thought "maybe this genre isn't for me" (much more slow paced than my favorites at the time, Thrash and Prog Metal). Eventually, i decided do try a band i didn't know by name, Camel, and this 70's masterpiece, one where everything clicked and my appreciation for old prog started. Mirage is all about emotional/strong melodies, unpretentiousness and laid back (mostly at least) prog music. The main highlights are Latimer and Bardens (guitarist and keyboardist). They both play very tastefully. In fact, they hardly overplay their instruments, giving the album a nice feeling of cohesion and flow, as the songs are perfectly crafted. 

Favorite songs: Lady Fantasy, Nimrodel/The Procession/The White Rider, Freefall
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 12:32:56 PM by Outcrier »

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2014, 07:27:09 PM »
Magical Mystery Tour is one a top 3 Beatles album for me.

Mirage is fantastic. Totally agree with you on Latimer and Bardens not overplaying. Their tastefulness is one of the reasons why I love Camel so much.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2014, 07:54:50 PM »
Camel is one of the few progressive rock bands that I like, and Mirage is the best (of those that I have heard). Scenes is, of course, awesome.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2014, 06:35:29 AM »
Love some Camel but I'm ashamed to say I've never heard this one.

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 - Music by Monsters (27/50)
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2014, 06:12:42 PM »
Blockhead - Music by Cavelight (2004)

Genre: Instrumental Hip Hop/Trip Hop

I would describe Music by Cavelight as a sort of sequel to "Endtroducing", not in quality but style, mostly due to Blockhead beatmaking being similar to DJ Shadow.
That said, you can expect to see a lot of attention to the details and clever use of samples that doesn't feel forced.
Even the music itself is similar too. Insomniac Olympics, per example, always reminded of "Building Steam from a Grain of Salt" due to the use of that piano sample.

Favorite songs: Insomniac Olympics, Carnivores Unite, Sunday Seance, Road Rage Breakdown, Jet Son, You've Got Maelstrom

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children (1998)

Genre: Ambient Techno/Downtempo/IDM/ :chill Music

Boards of Canada debuts in great style with an relaxing electronic classic. Boards of Canada music always seems to evoke many kinds of feelings for different persons. Particularly, i think some songs here have a nostalgic child-like feel (Bocuma, Open The Light,) and others are more dark and tense (Smokes Quantity, Turquoise Hexagon Sun), which i've read somewhere that probably symbolizes loss of innocence as you grow up.
Despite being an electronic record, MHTRTC feels very natural, more than most music played with real instruments that i know. Also, it's impressive how Boards of Canada creates sounds from keyboards and samples that don't sound dated even 10 years after the release. In the contrary, they sound fresh and timeless (it's all my opinion though). To anyone interested, i recommend the more acessible tracks like Roygbiv or Aquarius.

Favorite songs: Roygbiv, Rue the Whirl, Aquarius, Turquoise Hexagon Sun, Pete Standing Alone, Bocuma

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (2010)

Genre: Hip Hop/Overrated Crap?

We reach the most acclaimed album of the 2010's (and one of the most acclaimed from ever). MBDTF sounds a lot like the most popular stuff playing in the radio plus it's mainstream hip hop, which makes a lot of people instantly thinking it sucks and overlook the differences between this and generic. For starters,  the songs here are memorable (not in a bad way), epic and massive (not in a cheesy way).
Full package of great obscure samples for beats, famous ones from the likes of Black Sabbath and King Crimson used in nice ways to complement only and memorable hooks and choruses in near all tracks.
Yet, many people will also overlook the songs quality due to Kanye West rap delivery, the "full of himself douchebag" type, associating it with Lil Wayne and others (Unlike all popular modern rappers, Kanye can be full of himself because he makes great music, i give him that :tup). On the case, i definitely prefer the producer Kanye over the MC Kanye but there are lots of guests like Jay-Z and Bon Iver.
MBDTF also made me enjoy things i never would imagine i would enjoy, like a track with Rihanna on it or Nicki Minaj rap verse on Monster, one of the highlights of the album for me. Yeah, you read it right. Shows that there are various mainstream artists that can be good if they wanted instead of dumbing down their music. Finally, another :tup to Kanye West for making the impossible, possible, poppy hip hop full of world famous guests that it's the total opposite to what it should be on paper, amazing.

Favorite songs: Monster, Power, All of the Lights, So Appalled, Runaway, Dark Fantasy
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 04:33:32 AM by Outcrier »

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: Outcrier's Top 50 - Music by Monsters (27/50)
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »
Yeah I hate Nicki Minaj but her verse on Monster is pretty awesome. And BoC! :hefdaddy

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 - Doomsday (30/50)
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2014, 06:19:24 PM »
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible (2007)

Genre: Indie Rock

While most Arcade Fire fans worship Funeral, i never was a fan of it (even when Tunnels and Rebellion is two of their best songs) and always prefered The Suburbs and this one. Neon Bible has a darker vibe than Funeral, noticeably from the get go. Still, the hopeful anthemic climaxes Arcade Fire got know for are still there in songs like No Cars Go, which is the most similar of them to anything on Funeral. Also, the band experiment more with their arrangements and, mainly, in use of instruments, like the keyboardish intro to Black Wave and the use of organ in both Intervention and My Body Is a Cage (the way they implement various types of instruments is one of their characteristics i appreciate the most).

Favorite songs: Black Wave/Bad Vibrations, No Cars Go, Ocean of Noise, Intervention, My Body Is a Cage

Annihilator - Never, Neverland (1990)

Genre: Technical Thrash Metal

Annihilator comes back with Never, Neverland, which i don't think it's good as Alice in Hell but a solid followup nonetheless. This time, their sound is more catchy oriented, even groovy in songs like Road to Ruin. It's a bit less agressive and heavier than the debut as well and a new singer, Coburn Pharr, is present, his voice fitting perfectly for this new approach in Annihilator's cleaner thrash sound. While disliking neither, i definitely prefer his voice over Rampage, he having more charisma and a wider range being the reasons.   

Favorite songs: Road to Ruin, The Fun Palace, Never, Neverland, Stonewall, Sixes and Sevens

MF DOOM - Operation Doomsday (1999)

Genre: Abstract Hip Hop

Supervillain MF DOOM finally unleashes his first strike, droping this abstract classic that is the musical equivalent to a comic book (if that makes sense).
For non hip hop fans, albums like Operation Doosmday seems pretty weird due to the really light mood, quirky beats and cartoony skits. DOOM, while a MC, produces too and creates that light mood through his samples. The sampling is very creative here, not the way he uses them but from where he gets them, ranging from old jazz fusion and soul to cartoons (There is even a song here called Hey! that he samples the intro to Scooby Doo 72  :biggrin:).
All this weird awesomeness is the reason i recommend these abstract albums so people can hear that there is more than meets the eye when it comes to what they think hip hop is.

Favorite songs: Red & Gold, Rhymes Like Dimes, Dead Bent, Who You Think I Am?, Go With the Flow, Hey!, Gas Drawls

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 - Doomsday (30/50)
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2014, 10:42:55 PM »
In contrast, while I like Neon Bible a lot, there's no way it comes ahead of Funeral for me. Funeral is, on the whole, much more emotional and has much greater highs (though I'll say that the lows might be lower than those on NB, though not by much). I think with NB, I just feel that a lot of the songs start to feel a little same-y while Funeral manages more wonderful diversity. Still a great album, however.

Offline Outcrier

Re: Outcrier's Top 50 - Black Friday (33/50)
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2014, 03:54:59 AM »
Sorry for the delay, i was a bit occupied during the last couple days.

Megadeth - Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? (1986)

Genre: Thrash Metal

This is where Dave Mustaine finally distances him and Megadeth from being just another thrash metal band, showing the middle finger to everyone that thought he was finished after been kicked out of Metallica. Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?, while raw and agressive, brings diversity to the mix instead of being full speed thrash till the end. Most songs here don't follow a simple straight route, they turn around and twist, examples being the kickass opener Wake Up Dead or the epic Good Mourning / Black Friday.
So, in general, a vast improvement in the lyrics and songwriting department is heard and not only because of the man... this time around, Megadeth is Megadeth, not Dave Mustaine and some guys.
While worlds away of being the best musician in terms of playing or singing, Mustaine always had two things playing at his favor: undeniable talent in writing metal riffs/songs and being surrounded by talented musicians. In this case, Chris Poland and Gar Samuelson fits the band perfectly. Poland has a very recognizable way of playing guitar, very melodic and jazzy, which gives some songs here a apocalyptic/evil vibe. Samuelson is a drummer with jazz influences as well. Their contribution to the complexity of the songs here is very important, i even say Peace Sells wouldn't be what it is without these guys working together with Mustaine.

Favorite songs: Good Mourning/Black Friday, My Last Words, Wake Up Dead, Devils Island

The Cure - Pornography (1982)

Genre: Gothic Rock/Post-Punk/Suicide music

I imagine that, for people not into The Cure, listening to any of their earlier albums is a shock as they sound the extreme opposite of the uplifting songs that got them famous worldwide later in their career. After their debut, their mental state was gone from depressive to wanting to die but with a little light in the end of the tunnel due to drugs, alcohol, mental stress and a lot of stuff. Finally, Robert Smith, instead of suicide, choose to channel all he was feeling into making an album. In Pornography, all his despair and lack of hope comes to life in form of music, in a way that any sad person can get depressed or suicidal listening to it due to the bleak atmosphere and Smith's agony all over his lyrics and voice. Other elements are the minimal approach to the compositions and the huge 80's drums, which surprisingly fits well here.
The irony is that, how a band falling apart manages to reach a peak high as Pornography? I mean, the more these guys wants to die, the greater the music gets...

Favorite songs: The Figurehead, A Strange Day, The Hanging Garden, Cold

The Who - Quadrophenia (1973)

Genre: Hard Rock/Opera Rock

While making some classics like Sell Out and Tommy, Who's Next was the album where The Who finally transcended into something more. And this "something more", before losing time, would take the time to create another masterpiece, this rock opera, one who tells the story of Jimmy, a young man facing the challenges of the adolescent life, going through struggles like rejection, drugs, alcohol and more. The twist is, he has Quadrophenia, a mental disorder where the individual has four different personalities, symbolized by four recorrent themes throughout the album.
Musically, see it this way: if Who's Next is their Images and Words, Quadrophenia is their Scenes from a Memory. Everyone is firing in all cylinders here: Roger Daltrey unleashed his voice in Who's Next, Pete Townshend is rocking as always (still at his songwriting peak) and Entwistle and Moon are some of the finest rock musicians in their respective instruments so, basically, Quadrophenia is where the best Who tells their best story.

Favorite songs: Doctor Jimmy, 5:15, The Real Me, The Punk and the Godfather, The Dirty Jobs, Love Reign O'er Me, Bell Boy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 04:00:44 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #68 on: July 02, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »
Awesome update! Peace Sells is a thrash classic, and rightly so. I find it a shame that no-one ever mentions My Last Words, which is one my favourite Megadeth songs ever. Pornography is great, though, personally, in terms of depressive The Cure, I prefer Disintegration, but not by a whole lot. And Quadrophenia is great front to back, with Love Reign O'er Me being one of the best album closers in the history of ever.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2014, 06:39:05 PM »
And Quadrophenia is great front to back, with Love Reign O'er Me being one of the best album closers in the history of ever.

I agree with this, but I've always found the rest of the album hard to get into, which is a shame, because Who's Next was so high on my top 50 list.  The Real Me shows their song writing is in top form, but I don't think the rest of the songs are nearly as good as Who's Next, imo.