Author Topic: Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #1 that is why you fail  (Read 22846 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #2 the one percent rules America
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2014, 06:27:21 PM »
Mindcrime?!  Never heard of it.

:neverusethis:
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: nicmos' Top 50 albums v. #1 that is why you fail
« Reply #176 on: June 23, 2014, 08:32:42 AM »
drum roll please...

1.  John Williams - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

How do I do this soundtrack justice? I can't. I just can't. I can listen to all the powerful metal music I want, but that kind of music to me simply can't match the emotion an orchestra can convey when the composer has skill and it's done right. This goes for classical music as well, but most of that doesn't come in albums as we think of them in contemporary music. but here we have about 2 hours of music. Think of it as a 2-hour concept album, where the concept is the great story by George Lucas, of course helped immensely by Kasdan's screenplay and by Kirshner's direction and the famously great production design all the others who worked on this great film. But back to the music. John Williams did an amazing, oscar-worthy job on the original Star Wars, and re-invigorated film music in one master stroke. Here he had his themes from the first film to play with, and what he does incredibly is not lean on those themes too much but adds whole new themes, and it is definitely the new themes that put this music over the top as the best album of all time. Of course everyone knows Darth Vader's Theme (aka The Imperial March) but this film wouldn't be the same without Han and Leia's love theme which does much of the emotional lifting. Yoda's theme is also very important in the middle part of the film. I could type a whole essay on this music, but I'll try to keep it condensed here. The Battle of Hoth early in the film is accompanied by 4 amazing tracks in a row, 5 if you count how it leads directly into one of the most famous cues in the soundtrack, The Asteroid Field. Each builds tension and excitement progressively, and Vader's theme infuses each one of them in perfect amounts to convey exactly what is going on emotionally. The middle section on Dagobah is filled with Yoda's theme which is beauttiful, reaching a mini climax when Yoda pulls Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp using the Force. Once we get to Cloud City, we don't have a traditional battle-based film climax, but the music accompanying Han's trip into carbon freeze, Luke's losing lightsaber battle with Vader, Leia Chewie and Lando's escape from the stormtroopers, and Luke's subsequent desperate escape/rescue are unbelievably emotive. For me, the high point of the music before the end credits roll is when Luke is hanging on the weather vane underneath Cloud City, and Leia hears his voice prompting Lando to turn the Falcon around in a barrel roll, which then cuts to Vader who is still as driven and menacing as ever. It then continues with pulsing strings until Luke is finally rescued and safe in the Falcon with the music reaching almost unbearable tension. Of course the heroes still aren't safe and it takes some heroics by R2 to save them, accompanied by more pulsing stacatto string play. The movie ends with an emotional statement of the love theme, but importantly the music is not over. The six and a half minutes that accompany the end credits are the perfect encapsulation of the movie and a fitting ending. Starting off with the main theme/Luke's theme, transitioning into Yoda's theme, then Vader's theme, then the love theme, and finally a strained incomplete statement of the Rebel theme on trumpet leading into the best ending one could imagine, with crashing cymbals and a grand tutti that ends triumphantly, leaving the sound to echo in one's mind as it's greatness fades into memory. While some of the music is understandable "underscore", or music just meant to accent an emotional tone without any themes, it can still be listened to on its own. I have no problem sitting down and listening to these 2 hours in the dark, and by the end I'm emotionally exhausted and don't want to return to the real world. This set of compositions is an achievement for all time, even though film music often doesn't get taken as seriously as it should and even Williams hesitates to place so much importance on it. This was John Williams at his absolute height (amazing if you don't know he's still composing today at 84 and will score the new Star Wars films as long as he's able, but they could never possibly match this) and it will be a long time before we see his heir. Highlights (if you don't want to listen to the whole thing): The Battle of Hoth(parts I-IV), The Asteroid Field, Yoda and the Force, Attacking a Star Destroyer, The Clash of Lightsabers, Rescue from Cloud City (aka Losing a Hand), Hypserpace, End Credits.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2014, 08:36:47 AM »
Called it!  Well, pretty much anyway.  Your writeup makes me want to go and listen to it this afternoon when I've got a 2 hour break with no calls.  I think I will.

Cool list bro
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
Well done nicmos on your list - to  be honest I haven't kept up as well as I might have (busted leg is making life difficult - I feel ya' Harrison  ;D )  but I will certainly return to it when I have more time and am in the mood to investigate soundtracks (never really have).............and the Discog threads...........and ........ ::)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »
A great finish. A wonderful piece of music though the original Star Wars score would get my vote just because of how often I played it as a kid. One of my mates had the score album with the voices and sound effects on and I loved that.
I suppose it would be a surprise on anyone else's list but a fitting end to yours.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
Hands down the greatest movie soundtrack of all time. Excellent list! A nice balance. My list won't have soundtracks in it, but definitely TRON: Legacy and Empire Strikes Back would have made the cut. I enjoyed following your list!

Offline emtee

« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2014, 01:41:43 PM »
I always enjoy reading these lists and especially enjoy the ones that have a huge variety of tastes. Great music comes in all
shapes and colors and the more we experience the more we grow.

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2014, 04:54:32 PM »
Called it!  Well, pretty much anyway.  Your writeup makes me want to go and listen to it this afternoon when I've got a 2 hour break with no calls.  I think I will.

Cool list bro

props for guessing it, more or less.  that's some good intuition.  Empire's score was definitely a step up from the original Star Wars though.  It's like Williams created the palette with the first movie, and then painted his masterpiece with this one.

also, I was dropping a few hints along the way, but they were not obvious ones :) 

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2014, 05:10:27 PM »
It's like Williams created the palette with the first movie, and then painted his masterpiece with this one.

You could say the same about Lucas himself.

Listened to it this afternoon.  Really loved some of the movements... it's interesting to just listen to it, and try to put the visuals of the scene at the same time.  Fun stuff.  Think I'll have to go and have a whirl with the Raiders soundtrack too... that's another iconic Williams score.  Not sure I'll go and hunt down any other of the soundtracks.  They're fun once and a while, but not something I'd gravitate to.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 23, 2014, 06:25:20 PM »
cool list, great job!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #185 on: June 23, 2014, 09:15:22 PM »
Would have never guessed, but still an amazing list! Will check those Infected Mushroom albums soon :tup

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #186 on: June 23, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Can't go wrong with Star Wars scores at all. :tup

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #187 on: June 24, 2014, 08:35:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for following.  I know how these lists go where we have what we like and what we don't, and just seeing it on someone else's list isn't going to magically make you like something you wouldn't otherwise, but if the list reminds people of the existence of some of these great albums, and gets them to give them a listen, that's all I can ask for.  Hopefully someone will like something they hear.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #188 on: June 24, 2014, 02:15:14 PM »
I had the Star Wars soundtrack double album when I was a kid.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol