Author Topic: The Faith No More thread ("Sol Invictus" released May 19, 2015)  (Read 16649 times)

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: The Faith No More thread ("Sol Invictus" released May 19, 2015)
« Reply #70 on: May 21, 2015, 07:59:34 PM »
Yeah, no offense but I have no sympathy when somebody's primary issue with an album is quantity vs. quality. I'd rather be entertained completely for 40 minutes than listening to an 80-minute album packed with filler. Maybe they didn't like the rest of the material enough to want to release it, or they didn't think it fit the vibe of this particular album?
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2015, 08:46:48 PM »
I don't mind a 40 minute CD, sometimes that's nice as opposed to an 80 minute beast.  It's just a little frustrating knowing they had a lot more material, in the digital age I'd really like it all and I could delete stuff I don't like.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2015, 08:47:30 PM »
I'd rather be entertained completely for 40 minutes than listening to an 80-minute album packed with filler.

:tup
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2015, 09:04:14 PM »
I'll probably pick this album up tomorrow.

I'd rather be entertained completely for 40 minutes than listening to an 80-minute album packed with filler.

:tup

Yes, definitely.

So, apparently FNM had 25 songs in the works and only used 10 of them for the new album?  That's what Roddy said in the final question of the following interview.  (Link: https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2015/05/06/faith-no-mores-roddy-bottum-on-the-new-record-and-not-sucking.html

That's odd, to me.  The album has grown on me a hair, but my biggest issue is still the short running time.

The other 15 songs may have been shit.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #74 on: May 21, 2015, 09:54:11 PM »
I'm really shocked by the overwhelming positive reviews this album is getting.  I have listened to it about a dozen times so far, and it's done nothing for me.  And I'm a huge FNM fan that owned everything they did back in the 1990s -- including singles, live bootlegs, remixes, etc.  I know what to expect from a FNM album.  Anyway, I know I'm in the minority, so I'll keep listening and hope my stance changes.  I'm glad most people seem to be loving it.

I don't like it as much as The Real Thing, Angel Dust or King for a Day.  I like it more than Album of the Year (and the non Patton albums don't count).  So I like it but it's 4th out of the 5 Patton FNM CDs for me.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2015, 09:12:50 PM »
I don't mind a 40 minute CD, sometimes that's nice as opposed to an 80 minute beast.  It's just a little frustrating knowing they had a lot more material, in the digital age I'd really like it all and I could delete stuff I don't like.

But "digital age" or not, a band is not going to release a bunch of material they think is shit just so you can decide whether it belongs on your iPod or not.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2015, 09:18:47 PM »

But "digital age" or not, a band is not going to release a bunch of material they think is shit just so you can decide whether it belongs on your iPod or not.
I'm assuming it's not bad stuff but doesn't fit the album style, they wanted a short CD, etc.  Obviously if they think it's bad they would trash it but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2015, 02:01:59 PM »
Been listening to the album back to back now. Such an awesome album, don't hate one single track on it.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2015, 06:06:44 PM »
So I've listened to it enough now to have a more solid opinion. Though I'm not madly in love with it, I really enjoy most of the album. I don't hate any of the songs, but there are one or two "misses." Like "Sunny Side Up," especially the chorus. "Black Friday" is also a bit weaker but I still like it (again, the chorus kinda kills it for me). Both "Separation Anxiety" and "Cone of Shame" have a Pain of Salvation sorta vibe to me. "Matador" is probably my favorite. I love the first two, love "Motherfucker" and "Rise of the Fall"... overall a strong and fun album, great energy.

In other news, I just found out they are doing a show at Red Rocks, and I already bought tickets. So pumped!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
I'm not sure what's taken me so long, but I'm going to pick up my copy of this tomorrow.  Had a listen and really liked what I heard.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2015, 01:29:23 AM »
So I guess The Real Thing and Angel Dust are getting 2-disc rereleases on the 9th with extra rarity tracks, b-sides and lave stuff on them. Almost want to double-dip.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: June 08, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »
Link: https://ultimateclassicrock.com/axl-rose-mike-patton-prank/

Faith No More’s Mike Patton Once Defecated in Axl Rose’s Orange Juice

A 1991 tour with Gun N’ Roses found Faith No More frontman Mike Patton playing some unbelievable scatological tricks on Axl Rose.

Patton “sh– in an orange juice carton, resealed it, and put it back in Axl Rose’s personal drinks vending machine,” says Jon Holmes, author of Rock Star Babylon: Outrageous Rumors, Legends, and Raucous True Tales of Rock and Roll Icons.

Some of Patton’s other more outrageous pranks were outlined by Exclaim in the wake of Faith No More’s surprise return after nearly two decades away. For instance, Patton once “pissed all over Axl Rose’s cue cards while Guns N’ Roses were onstage,” according to Holmes. Patton’s rationale for such outrageous behavior? “Ain’t that rock’n’roll?” he said, in a contemporary interview with Kerrang! magazine.

Rose wasn’t the only target of Patton’s unique brand of bathroom humor, by the way. During the same tour, Patton told Kerrang!, he “took a sh–, rolled it into a ball and put it in the hair dryer so that the next guest to dry their hair would get hot sh– in their face.”

Rose and Patton were more recently linked in a study that sought to definitively name the world’s greatest singer. The determination was based on each vocalist’s range. Rose boasts a five-octave instrument, while Patton’s is six.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #82 on: June 08, 2015, 01:57:53 PM »
:lolpalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #83 on: June 08, 2015, 04:05:23 PM »
Yeah, no offense but I have no sympathy when somebody's primary issue with an album is quantity vs. quality. I'd rather be entertained completely for 40 minutes than listening to an 80-minute album packed with filler.

I don't get this argument and never have.  It is not a binary situation where a short album is automatically going to have mostly strong songs, whereas a longer album is going to just have the same amount of strong material and have the rest all just be filler.  If a band is capable of writing 40 minutes of solid material, they are most likely capable of writing more than 40 minutes worth.  Personally, of the two choices you gave, my pick would be:  neither--how about an 80-minute album that entertains completely?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2015, 02:43:32 AM »
This album is a massive grower. I returned to some of the songs yesterday and loved them.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2015, 12:06:55 AM »
Yeah, no offense but I have no sympathy when somebody's primary issue with an album is quantity vs. quality. I'd rather be entertained completely for 40 minutes than listening to an 80-minute album packed with filler.

I don't get this argument and never have.  It is not a binary situation where a short album is automatically going to have mostly strong songs, whereas a longer album is going to just have the same amount of strong material and have the rest all just be filler.  If a band is capable of writing 40 minutes of solid material, they are most likely capable of writing more than 40 minutes worth.  Personally, of the two choices you gave, my pick would be:  neither--how about an 80-minute album that entertains completely?

I never said there were only two options  :huh:

I just mean if somebody enjoys the 40 minutes, why bitch about the length? Bands aren't obligated to fill an entire CD, and they shouldn't necessarily try to.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2015, 05:02:29 AM »
This is a very interesting record, even by FNM standards IMO.  As MIaden said it's a definite grower, but I'm really liking it.

Offline BelichickFan

« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2015, 12:15:08 PM »
This is a very interesting record, even by FNM standards IMO.  As MIaden said it's a definite grower, but I'm really liking it.

Still liking it a lot, especially starting with Separation Anxiety.  The first three tracks are just so-so for me.  Watching the live youtubes, Black Friday seems to really fall flat live.  I like it a lot on the CD, but it doesn't come across real well live from the looks of things.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: July 20, 2016, 09:30:31 AM »
Thrilled to have met Roddy Bottum and Chuck Mosley last night on Long Island.  When I played keyboard back in the day, Roddy was the first musician who I admired. I'd spend hours learning his parts on songs like "Epic," "Woodpecker From Mars" and "Midnight Cowboy."  Chuck played a small bar as part of his Re-Introduce Yourself tour, and Roddy came to support him and play an Imperial Teen song.

An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2017, 09:55:18 AM »
Happy 25th anniversary to Angel Dust!  Despite Mike Patton's vocal heroics, my favorite track remains the closing instrumental, "Midnight Cowboy."  But a great album from start to finish!

Offline Art

« Reply #90 on: June 08, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »
Angel Dust is still awesome and fresh to this day. I listened to it today on earphones and the bass tone on this album is fucking huge. Classic.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2017, 01:57:15 PM »
Their best album in my opinion. I've been actually spinning it for the past two weeks. Malpractice has to be my favorite, that's pure evil and insanity right there.  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #92 on: June 08, 2017, 04:35:13 PM »
I go back and forth between Angel dust and The real thing. Both are so awesome

Offline jammindude

« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2017, 04:55:02 PM »
I go back and forth between Angel Dust and Album of the Year.   But I really have to give the edge to Angel Dust.  Seriously one of the greatest albums ever made.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #94 on: June 09, 2017, 12:47:43 AM »
I go back and forth between Angel Dust and King For A Day, mostly I tend to name King For A Day my favorite but Angel Dust is a very close second, such a good and classic record.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #95 on: June 09, 2017, 03:48:29 AM »
I also really love King for a day. Very cool album. I also enjoy the Mosley era albums, but I overall like Patton's approach more.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #96 on: June 09, 2017, 04:22:48 AM »
I confess to having never really listened to the Mosley era albums, always wanted to but never got around to it.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2017, 06:17:19 AM »
I confess to having never really listened to the Mosley era albums, always wanted to but never got around to it.
Same here.

Offline Art

« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2017, 06:50:09 AM »
The Mosley albums are fun, they hadn't completely developed their style yet, so it was definetely a "mixed bag" kind of thing. but there's some good stuff in there.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2017, 07:01:43 AM »
Angel Dust turned 25 years yesterday! Didn't have time to spin it then but spinning it today, and it remains a masterpiece. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2017, 07:28:24 AM »
I was listening to Midlife crisis on repeat the past few days. I really, really love that song.

Its the song that originally got me in to FNM and a big thanks to GTA SA allowing me to hear it for the first time.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2017, 08:02:40 PM »

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2017, 09:18:58 PM »
I only recently got into FNM, and Introduce Yourself is really what hooked me. Love that album, and it's sad to see Chuck go. RIP.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2017, 11:00:14 PM »
:(

Offline faizoff

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2022, 02:33:01 PM »
Massive almost 5-year bump.

I've been listening to a ton of Faith No More lately and just listened to all their albums start to finish which I hadn't done in a while.

FNM are a band I started following around '91 before Angel Dust came out and at the time would listen to The Real Thing back to back endlessly. Like Dream Theater they showed you can mix a lot of genres into your album and enjoy them all. At the time I was very into Thrash and heavy metal so FNM showed you could be heavy and have keys mixed with all those mellow parts. Dream Theater did that to a larger extent but I hadn't discovered them yet.

The first two albums with Chuck Mosley on vocals have a lot of good tracks on them. To me The Real Thing feels like the finished product of those two albums. Chuck's vocals are definitely a bit harder to get into but there are some good chunky riffs in various tracks like Chinese Arithmetic, Pills for Breakfast among others.

I have a strong attachment to The Real Thing and IMO is a perfect album. It still holds up so well today and even though I probably would rate the other later albums higher, it's a solid album.

The stark difference between The Real Thing and Angel Dust was so striking to me as a young teen, and took a while before I fully embraced Angel Dust.

Post Angel Dust the three albums have a similar framework but with really kick ass songs on them. King has my favorite production of them all, I really enjoyed Sol Invictus too. It's such a strong album catalog, I really hope they're able to release a video live album sometime. It's the one band I wished I had seen live.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan