Author Topic: The Faith No More thread ("Sol Invictus" released May 19, 2015)  (Read 16640 times)

Offline Art

Re: The Faith No More thread -- New album in the works?
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2015, 06:33:40 AM »
Superhero is killer!  :metal

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2015, 10:01:26 AM »
Love "Superhero."  It sounds like vintage FNM to me.  Not sure what I think of the album cover, which has the same black and white feel as "Album of the Year."  I like the more colorful covers from The Real Thing, Angel Dust and King For a Day.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2015, 02:45:37 PM »
Superhero is what I was expecting from this album.  Looking forward to it now.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »
I love Superhero too. It's a really intense, dynamic song and it makes me so optimistic about the new album. Hurry the hell up, May 19th!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »
Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/faith-no-more-keyboardist-explains-original-guitarist-jim-martins-absence-from-reunion/

FAITH NO MORE Keyboardist Explains Original Guitarist JIM MARTIN's Absence From Reunion

According to The Pulse Of Radio, keyboardist Roddy Bottum was asked in a recent interview with Noisey if original guitarist Jim Martin, who left the band in 1993, was asked to participate in the current reunion which started in 2009. Bottum answered, "Oh, we totally reached out to him. I was of the mind that, of course, we would not do this without Jim. There's no way. I think we all felt pretty strongly about that initially — well, some of us maybe more strongly than others. Jim was a real contentious person in the band, but I loved him… I wanted him to do it, and I actually talked to him about it. I thought it was going that way, but it just didn't work out."

Bottum was also asked if Martin had interest in returning. He replied, "I think he had interest. But I think he also had really pent-up resentments about the way we broke up. I think it was difficult for him to come back into the fold, and he set it up in such a way that… I think, unconsciously, he was gonna cut off his nose to spite his face. Like he was so damaged from resentment that he dug a hole and didn't come out of it. Which is a shame. That's my take."

Martin departed after completing the touring cycle for the band's fourth album, "Angel Dust". He was followed by a short succession of guitarists, including Trey Spruance, Dean Menta and Jon Hudson, who was the band's last axeman when it broke up in 1998.

Hudson was also in the lineup for the current reunion and plays on the band's upcoming album, "Sol Invictus."

The disc, the group's first collection of new music in 18 years, is set to arrive on May 19 through the band's Reclamation Recordings.

FAITH NO MORE has also confirmed its first North American shows since 2010 with a spring outing kicking off April 15 in Vancouver.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline LordCost

Re: The Faith No More thread ("Sol Invictus" released May 19, 2015)
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2015, 03:23:41 AM »
This morning I listened to a low-quality version of Sol Invictus. Maybe it's still the worst FNM album with Patton but it's difficult to a comparison now and I really loved AD and KFAD. I think it's an original experimental rock album, better than Tomahawk's Oddfellows and other Patton recents works I didn't like much. In my opinion Superhero and Matador are the best songs of the album along with Rise Of The Fall and Separation Anxiety from the other 6 new songs I listened today

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2015, 12:27:55 PM »
The new album is the worst FNM with Patton?  That stinks.  The band members seemed really psyched about the new material.

Offline LordCost

« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 01:09:31 PM »
Faith No More and Mr.Bungle opened my mind to a new kind of music when I was fifteen/seventeen and KFAD is the first album ever I decided to buy, so it's difficult for me to do an objective comparison. However I enjoyed the album, it's certainly a great add to their discography and maybe it could top AOTY and The  Real Thing in my list ;)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:04:22 PM by LordCost »

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2015, 01:35:55 AM »
Even though I was hoping to wait until May 19th, tonight I couldn't resist listening to one of the songs from the new album. Rise of the Fall is an absolutely killer song, and going by that track, Superhero, and From the Dead (which I heard at the Portland show and instantly loved) alone, I already love Sol Invictus much, much more than Album of the Year.  :metal

Offline LordCost

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2015, 07:54:22 AM »
This album it's growing on me. At first listens I thought it was too short, with too many short nice songs and only two or three really great tracks. Now the only song I wish was more developed is Sol Invictus, which is however one of my favourites.
Yes, Rise of The Fall it's great, I thought instantly to Mr Bungle when I heard it! And all the other tracks are inspired, unusual and catchy, the band was right when they said they wrote something that you can't listen from other bands at the moment, but their best albums have a lot of awesome songs.
Overall it's really enjoyable to listen to and I agree with you that it's more interesting than AOTY. They said they have written 25 songs, so we can hope to listen to another album in the future  :)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2015, 10:37:35 AM »
Friday's concert in Detroit to be streamed online.  I'll have to check that out since the NY tickets sold out in like five minutes and StubHub users are asking an arm and a leg.

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/faith-no-mores-detroit-concert-to-be-streamed-on-yahoo/

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2015, 08:04:54 AM »
The sound quality of what I've heard is horrific, I can only assume when I buy the real thing (no pun intended) that it will be way better as this is borferline unlistenable.

I don't hate the CD, as I said I will be buying it.  But it's certainly not near the quality of tRT, AD, KfaDFfaL.  Wasn't a huge fan of Album of the Year.  Love Mother Fucker but it should have been longer.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2015, 05:46:43 PM »
None of the reviews I've read have mentioned anything about poor sound quality, so I assume you heard a crappy upload like the ones that were on Youtube for a couple days. NPR will be streaming the full album tomorrow so we can all finally hear for ourselves! I am so excited!!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
The leak (which I haven't heard) was in 192kbps mp3 so I wouldn't read too much into that.  Load that onto Youtube and it's not going to sound too good I imagine.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Art

« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2015, 05:46:34 AM »
Yeah, the webrip version sounds awful (sound quality-wise) but i really liked most of the songs. Superhero, Sunny, Separation Anxiety, Cone of Shame and matador are my favorites as of now.

And i´m not gonna compre to the rest of their discography which i have been listening to for at least 18 years.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2015, 08:10:47 AM »
I know the album has leaked already, but you can stream it in full over at the NPR (LOL) - https://www.npr.org/2015/05/10/404672919/first-listen-faith-no-more-sol-invictus.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2015, 09:10:52 AM »
Listening to the stream now.  Only two songs in, but the whole album is 39:30?   :-\

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2015, 09:13:58 AM »
Wish I could listen to the stream here at work.  Will be able to buy The Real Thing soon anyway.  I think Black Friday is my favorite along with Motherfucker.  I may try the Bungle CDs again, I didn't like them too much when they first came out.  I'm on a DT hiatus until the new CD so I need to find something different to listen to.  Before DT12 I spent a lot of time with Tales From Topographic Oceans and wonder now why I didn't used to like it more.  As about 25% of what I listen to is DT I have a BIG gap while I wait.

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2015, 09:31:15 AM »
Friday's concert in Detroit to be streamed online.  I'll have to check that out since the NY tickets sold out in like five minutes and StubHub users are asking an arm and a leg.

Link: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/faith-no-mores-detroit-concert-to-be-streamed-on-yahoo/
Pro Shot on youtube here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZIv2-3nY1M#t=12

I assume this will end up as an official release, I hope so.  Two tracks in, good quality.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2015, 12:52:11 PM »
My first listen did not grab me as much as I had hoped.  It felt a little short and as if if needed another heavy song or two.  But that's just one listen.  I could feel differently once I get to really sink my teeth into the album.

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2015, 01:00:43 PM »
My first listen did not grab me as much as I had hoped.  It felt a little short and as if if needed another heavy song or two.  But that's just one listen.  I could feel differently once I get to really sink my teeth into the album.
If you're hoping for something as good as their classic years, it probably won't grab you.  It's not as good as them.  It's a solid, decent CD though.  I'm waiting to hear something to indicate the sound quality is good.  I'm not a complainer about sound usually but the leak was brutal, I'll be buying the CD as soon as I know it sounds OK.  I won't buy it if it sounds like the leak.  I do like the second half of the CD more than the first half, I think it gets stronger as it goes but it's still just a decent CD.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2015, 02:05:52 PM »
 :hefdaddy
I've listened to it three times now, and I couldn't be happier with it! Rise of the Fall, Matador, Separation Anxiety, From the Dead, and Superhero are the standout tracks in my opinion. There are a lot of subtle effects lurking in the background, so I highly recommend listening with headphones at least once.

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2015, 04:20:49 PM »
Listening now, thankfully the sound quality is better so I will buy it.  Wouldn't have if it were the unlistenable crap I downloaded.

Online BelichickFan

« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2015, 08:33:30 AM »
OK, I'll admit I like this a lot now.  Not too excited about the first three (although Superhero is fairly good) but from Separation Anxiety on, it's cool.  Dark, brooding, original, basically Faith No More.  I do wish it was longer but quality over quantity I guess.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2015, 08:40:19 AM »
Heard Superhero on the radio the other day, and then just saw a live performance of it on the Tonight Show.  It's kinda cool.  The back and forth vocals remind me of Mr. Bungle a lot, but the song seems to go nowhere.

Judging by some of your guys reviews I feel I should pick this up.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »
I didn't know they were performing on Fallon.  Did they even mention that on Facebook or anything?  Nice performance.

Also, is that teardrop tattoo on Patton's face?  I don't recall seeing that in any of the live clips I've watched recently. 

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2015, 10:27:09 AM »
I didn't know they were performing on Fallon.  Did they even mention that on Facebook or anything?  Nice performance.

Also, is that teardrop tattoo on Patton's face?  I don't recall seeing that in any of the live clips I've watched recently. 

I just chanced upon it.  Yeah, I wondered if that was just done with a marker or something. 

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2015, 08:42:02 AM »
Just read these stories about how FNM tried to rekindle with Jim Martin for the reunion, but it didn't work out:

Link 1: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/billy-gould-on-jim-martins-absence-from-faith-no-more-reunion-it-just-didnt-feel-right/

Link 2: https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/former-faith-no-more-guitarist-jim-martin-answers-fan-submitted-questions/

It's a shame this didn't work out.  John Hudson doesn't really stand out much, musically or on stage.  It almost feels like he's a hired gun or something.  Listening back to The Real Thing and Angel Dust this week, Martin's contributions were so special.  He added a different dynamic to the band.  He added a metal edge.

It sounds like the FNM guys tried to get everyone on board for the reunion over the phone or something, instead of properly getting together face to face and communicating and putting the past behind them.  Jim, who was fired by fax back in the early 1990s, is probably right to have had some concerns in the back of his head -- which probably led him to draft some sort of contract to cover his ass this time.  it's a shame that they all couldn't have sat down and hammered things out properly.     
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:20:38 AM by Mebert78 »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »
He could be a real loose canon at times.   I was at the Seattle show of the Angel Dust tour.   I'm not sure what set Jim off, but at one point he threw down his guitar and walked off stage for a good 10 minutes or so.   The band had to improvise until someone finally convinced him to come back and finish out the set. 
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Deathless

« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2015, 12:10:28 PM »
Didn't Martin show up to the San Fran show once the band re-united though? I agree with Mebert, I wish they would have just met in person and hashed things out. Oh well, it's better to have the current FNM than no FNM at all, right?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2015, 09:31:50 AM »
This album is amazing. In a time when most re-union albums are mediocre and lackluster, this one really delivers.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2015, 11:48:56 AM »
I'm really shocked by the overwhelming positive reviews this album is getting.  I have listened to it about a dozen times so far, and it's done nothing for me.  And I'm a huge FNM fan that owned everything they did back in the 1990s -- including singles, live bootlegs, remixes, etc.  I know what to expect from a FNM album.  Anyway, I know I'm in the minority, so I'll keep listening and hope my stance changes.  I'm glad most people seem to be loving it.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2015, 07:22:41 PM »
I still have to get a copy, dammit.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2015, 12:03:10 PM »
So, apparently FNM had 25 songs in the works and only used 10 of them for the new album?  That's what Roddy said in the final question of the following interview.  (Link: https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/2015/05/06/faith-no-mores-roddy-bottum-on-the-new-record-and-not-sucking.html

That's odd, to me.  The album has grown on me a hair, but my biggest issue is still the short running time.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #69 on: May 21, 2015, 12:17:07 PM »
They might simply be following a fairly new trend of "less is more".    With some prog-rock albums being an exception, there are very few albums that have the capablitity of commanding your attention for a full hour.   Riverside's more recent releases (esp ADHD) were intentionally geared toward the old school mentallity of having albums under 45 min.     More albums are coming out that would comfortably fit on a single vinyl release.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude