Author Topic: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'On An Island, end V1'  (Read 33647 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
That's because we know better. :P :biggrin:

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not seeing an 'overwhelming' majority disliking it.  'Majority', sure... but it didn't seem to be overwhelming.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Woot! Woot! I'm happy to see the PF disco thread come about.

As for the album, I hated it when I first heard it in my teens. I grew to appreciate it over time and take it for what it is. It's pretty out there and not every song is bad. I like "The Gnome" and "Pow R Toc H".

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
As a couple others noted when I first heard the early material in my teens (obviously after hearing DSotM, The Wall, etc.) it was a shock. I was aware of early psychedelic music and knew the early material was based on that so I was prepared for that. What I wasn't prepared for was the poppy Beatles-esque type songs. Those are the songs that threw me. So stuff like Astronomy Domine, Interstellar Overdrive etc. are my clear favs to this day but I eventually did come around to some of the other material from the album.

As an album overall IMO, it's not bad at all and I can see it being pretty relevant and important at the time.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Are we moving on to Saucerful of Secrets tomorrow? :heart
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

My point was, that I have yet to find a public forum where the overwhelming majority express a dislike for this album...except. here.

That probably has a lot to do with this mainly being a prog forum, so Floyd's more psychedelic stuff is going to put some people off for sure.

Elsewhere, Piper is regarded as a classic. As said before, maybe not the album to end all albums and it surely doesn't reach the iconic status albums like Dark Side has, but the general consensus is: it's purty gud.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Are we moving on to Saucerful of Secrets tomorrow? :heart

I would hope so. I'd hate to see this thread become one where the updates are infrequent. It's been a week now since Piper was done.

Bueller? :P

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Should be tonight/tomorrow (for GMT me at least!) for Saucerful! Probably gonna move on quickly through the next couple after it due to, well, what they are.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Can't wait to read it, I'll probably have a listen to saucerful when you post it.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
Well, least it's only 39 minutes long, huh?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 10:46:03 AM by GentlemanofDread »
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
During The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, Syd Barrett's acid intake apparently went from “enough to kill a small country” to double that, and it began taking a toll on him, mentally. During tours, mainly starting  during the US Tour, Syd began.. well, I'm not too sure what the right word is here. I'd say breakdown, but somehow, that doesn't seem fitting. Well, the first sign things might be up was that Syd slowly began de-tuning his guitar during a show.  With Pink Floyd being renowned already for their experimentation, the fans thought nothing of this. How else would they know that later, during the Pat Boone show interview that Pink Floyd did, Syd responded to all questions with a blank and silent stare. Before a performance in 1967, Barrett reportedly crushed Mandrax tranquillizer tablets and an entire tube of Brylcreem into his hair, which subsequently melted down his face under the heat of the stage lighting, making him look like "a guttered candle".

However, despite Syd's questionable mental stability, they were recording a follow up to The Piper At The Gates of Dawn. Starting in August 1967, the same month Piper was released, Pink Floyd entered the studio to record two tracks, “Set The Controls to The Heart of the Sun” and the unreleased “Scream Thy Last Scream.” These were to be released as a single, but was vetoed by EMI for.. some reason. I'm not sure what the reason is, but after this, in October, the band recorded “Vegetable Man” and “Jugband Blues.” Yeah, that's four songs recorded, only two for the album. Wow. “Remember a Day”, a song originally conceived for The Piper At The Gates of Dawn, received some overdubs and bam, it was decided it would be on this album.

Taking a break to record their next single and it's B-side, “Apples and Oranges/Paint box”(which didn't chart at all by the way) and do another US tour, by the time they started recording again, a new member had joined. With the constantly deteriorating mind of Syd, the band asked friend David Gilmour to become their live guitarist. As the others weren't confident in their song writing skills, the original plan was for Syd to become a non-touring member – in similar style to Brian Wilson's recent status in The Beach Boys. Though for a handful of shows in January, Gilmour played the guitar and sung whilst Syd wandered the stage, occasionally joining in. But for one live show, Southampton Universirty, 26 January 1968, with Waters driving people to the show, one person in the car said, "Shall we pick Syd up?" and another said, "Let's not bother.” That was that. Syd was fully gone. Gilmour was in. Just before this, songs “Let There Be More Light” and “Corporal Clegg” were recorded, with no Syd involvement.

But the band struggled to write and record material for the new album. They were missing 12 minutes, which the band wrote several pieces of material to try and feel, before Mason and Waters concieved a song like an architectural design, including peaks and troughs. This was the title track, “A Saucerful of Secrets.” Even though the producer didn't like it, it made it on the album and so, on 29 June 1968 (or 27th July for the US), we received..

A Saucerful of Secrets- 1968

1. Let There Be More Light (Written by Roger Waters, sung by Waters, Richard Wright and David Gilmour, 5:38.)
2. Remember A Day (Written by Wright, sung by Wright, 4:33.)
3. Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (Written by Waters, sung by Waters, 5:28 )
4. Corporal Clegg (Written by Waters, sung by Nick Mason, Gilmour and Waters, 4:13)
5. A Saucerful Of Secrets (Written by Waters, Wright, Mason, Gilmour, Instrumental, 11:57)
6. See Saw (Written by Wright, sung by Wright, 4:36)
7. Jugband Blues (Written by Syd Barrett, sung by Syd, 3:00)

Some fun facts before I delve into my thoughts. "Set The Controls" is the only song all five band members appear on, as Gilmour did some overdubs to go with Syd's! Corporal Clegg was the first anti-war lyrics to appear in a Pink Floyd song!  "Let There Be More Light" evolved from a bass riff that was part of "Interstellar Overdrive"! This is the first of several Pink Floyd album covers that were designed by Hipgnosis, and was only the second time that an EMI group (The Beatles were the first) was permitted to hire outside designers for an album jacket!

Thoughts on this album? I don't remember it starting off this good. Certainly, "Let There Be More Light" starting with the Rickenbacker Bass Riff from Waters gets me all ready, and the song is certainly.. unique. It's amazingly mixed, using full use of the stereo sound at least. The combination of Waters/Wright in the softer sections is certainly unique and great for those with headphones, especially how Waters whispers added some lovely texture to Wright's vocals, and the hard section is Gilmour's first vocal contribution the listeners would hear. The song contains a lyrical shout out to to The Beatles "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", which is.. nice I suppose. The last two minutes is the first time Gilmour solos for our ears, and that's important. I'd like to note when played live, the solo came BEFORE the last verse. I really love this track.

"Remember A Day", I can't talk too much about this track, but it's a nice soft track, that I always forget about when I'm talking about this album. It doesn't grab me like "Let There Be More Light" does, but it's Syd's first appearance on the album. David Gilmour would play this song on Jools Holland Live in tribute to Richard Wright in 2008. "Set The Controls for the Heart of the Sun" is a great tune. Based around Mason's drumming (played with timpani mallets) and Waters bass, it's a tune that I can see why it was very popular for fans of Pink Floyd no matter what style you preferred. It's mellow, mystical, and just a nice chill out before..

"Corporal Clegg." Okay, this is where the album starts to falter. It's.. Okay, this is the one I can compare to "Bike" the most. It's loud, it's a bit wacky and although there's some great little moments in it (The solid period where Mason is just hitting the toms and nothing else come to mind), but it's all too.. loud and random for my liking in certain spots. Especially that Kazoo, it just grates on my ears I want to tear out my hair. Stop it, please! I can take this song in small chunks, I'd even say I like it when I listen to it once a month, but the third listen in a week just.. Ergh. So, "A Saucerful of Secrets" is certainly.. well, it feels constructed with the big bits and the small bits. It's what I love in the long song, peaks and lows. I like this tune a lot more than the song before it, at least, though I can't think of much to praise about it.

"See-Saw" is a fantastic little tune, certainly not my favourite on the album but it's the best "trying to be Syd" song that they did, and the mellotron/xylophone on this song adds some cool little sounds on this song. The finale, (Really, this album is 39 minutes long), is Jugband Blues. Okay, I don't like the middle section of this song. Sandwiched between two unwacky sections, it's the wackiness that Syd embodied, really. Out of place, a bit insane and the marching band got a little confused look out of me the first time, but now, I want it to get to the last lyrical section, where the true genius of the song lies, the bittersweet lyrics. It has the same effect on me that Dream Theater's "Space Dye Vest" has. It gets me unsettled, it makes me worried and a bit concerned. Like I have some connection to the person who's crafted these lyrics, and it's.. Yeah. It's unsettling. I'd recommend giving this album a spin, because after "More", we're hitting some lows.

Well, hm. I wrote too much there I think.

"And what exactly is a dream
And what exactly is a joke.."

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. "Far, far, far away..'
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2014, 11:51:34 AM »
I remember being told by a friend never to listen to Saucerful Of Secrets in the dark. When I got the album I was listening to it (it had been a present) on a christmas day evening in a car with only the reading light as illumination (the car was parked and I'd just come along for the ride and to listen to Piper and Saucerful in relative peace while waiting for the driver,my mother,  to finish having their hair cut). I was about 15/16 at the time, and I must admit that when it got to the title track, it freaked the shit out of me.

Do listen to it in the dark. Don't forget your brown trousers.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2014, 11:58:39 AM »
Ah here we go!

My thoughts:

Let There Be More Light - A great way to start off the album.  I always love how on the earlier albums, vocals were shared like this.

Remember A Day - I never realized how beautiful of a song this was until I saw David's performance of it. I'll admit... I cried when Rick died... and that performance still makes my eyes water. I believe this will be one of the songs I want played at my funeral.

Set The Controls.... -  Really cool spacey song. I like the spacey aspect of early Floyd.  Not much to say on it. My first real experience with this song was Roger's performance on his live dvd. I think there was a sax solo in it...

Saucerful of Secrets:

Something Else - Cool set up. Spacey. Could be cut down for my liking.
Syncopated Pandemonium - That drum pattern :heart
Storm Signal and Celestial Voices - these sections make the song for me. I love Rick's organ work. (I've always loved pretty much anything Rick plays... but still... this is really creepy and cool really fits as the "post battle funeral" section.

See-Saw - meh

Jugband - Meh
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2014, 12:28:57 PM »
I already knew Set the Controls... and the title track from their live versions on Ummagumma, so I knew what to expect from those songs, but I have to admit that the first two songs were pleasant surprises; I wasn't expecting songs that good to kick the album off, especially since I had never heard of them.  Let There Be More Light, in particular, is really good.

Set the Controls... is definitely a cool song to chill out to.  Same for the title track to a lesser degree, although I was thrown by the fact that the original didn't really have the wordless vocals that are at the end of the live version; I thought that was a neat effect that added to the climax of the song, and it's absent on the studio version.

Corporal Clegg is totally forgettable, and while See-Saw isn't a bad little song, nothing about it really stands out.

Like I said the other day, Jugbland Blues has a nice melody in there somewhere, but it's lost in the madness that grabs a hold of the songs and never lets go.

Overall, this is a solid sophomore effort, with brief glimpses of the true greatness that was eventually to come.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #84 on: May 31, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
I quite like the majority of Saucerful. Really, the only thing I outright dislike is the title track. It just feels like a collage of potentially cool ideas without any sense of direction at all. Love love love love love Let There Be More Light and Set the Controls. Corporal Clegg is pretty dumb, but the kazoo solo is pretty wicked, and I can't seem to get the song out of my head. Remember a Day and See Saw are solid too, and Jugband Blues is a nice end to the Syd era.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: May 31, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »
I really like A Saucerful.... The only weak track on the album is actually Jugband Blues.

It seems, for the most part, a very tight album with some very well thought out ideas. "Set the controls", "Remember A Day" and "Let There Be More Light" are really the stand outs IMO.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2014, 04:47:14 PM »
Been a while since I gave the full album a spin, since if I have an urge for the songs I like on it-the title track and Set the Controls-I go to the live album of Ummagumma for them. Will have to give the rest of it a try sometime soon.

And actually since all that's I'll have to say about Ummagumma, I just solved what I'm going to say about that one (other than Jesus Christ, what the fuck were they thinking?  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2014, 04:55:20 PM »
From the rest, as you could probably tell, I highly recommend "Let There Be More Light" at least.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #88 on: May 31, 2014, 06:14:12 PM »
This album was the beginning of my exploration of early PF.   Ultimatemetalhead's comments pretty much sum up my own.   I really like everything except the title track...which just seems to be a bunch of pointless soundscapes and meanderings just to fill time.    I like a lot of their atmospheric pieces (especially Careful with that Axe, Eugene...which is amazing) but the title track from Saucerful of Secrets is just dreadful.   

I love Corporal Clegg and See Saw.   Jugband Blues is a bit disjointed, but a nice epitaph for the Syd era.   I wish they would have replaced it with Scream Thy Last Scream, Vegetable Man and maybe a couple of other B-sides.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: May 31, 2014, 07:13:43 PM »
Off-topic, and I'm not like offended or anything, but it absolutely blows my mind how many people expound on the portmanteau in my name. It's peculiar.

Ultimatemetalhead is not Ultimetalhead, kids.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #90 on: May 31, 2014, 07:25:57 PM »
Yule Time Tall Head

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #91 on: May 31, 2014, 09:03:50 PM »
My thoughts on this album are pretty similar to what most other people think: The first five tracks are good - though I do like Corporal Clegg, which I noticed not everyone does - but See-Saw and Jugband Blues represent a very poor way to end the album and pull it down considerably. By changing the track order a little and not having the two most insignificant and forgettable (at least to me) songs back to back at the end of the album, it could be severly strengthened.

That said, I really like Let There Be More Light, Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun and A Saucerful of Secrets. Needed quite a while to get into the title track, but when it clicked... :hefdaddy
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #92 on: May 31, 2014, 09:11:37 PM »
Off-topic, and I'm not like offended or anything, but it absolutely blows my mind how many people expound on the portmanteau in my name. It's peculiar.

OMG....I am really sorry.   This hits close to home to me.   You have no idea how many people call me jamminGdude.   Drives me nuts.

It won't happen again.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: May 31, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »

OMG....I am really sorry.   This hits close to home to me.   You have no idea how many people call me jamminGdude.   Drives me nuts.

It won't happen again.
No problem, man. It's happened on every single forum I've registered on with this name.  :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #94 on: May 31, 2014, 10:23:19 PM »

It won't happen again.

This was my 5000th post.   I was going to save it for an upcoming special announcement, and then spaced it.    Damn these Black Russians....  :xbones

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #95 on: May 31, 2014, 11:23:25 PM »

It won't happen again.

This was my 5000th post.   I was going to save it for an upcoming special announcement, and then spaced it.    Damn these Black Russians....  :xbones

Racism. Reported. :P
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2014, 01:49:49 AM »
Saucerful is the only pre-Meddle album I own, but I haven't heard it in a long time. I never liked the title-track, but at least Let There Be More Light and Set the Controls... are good songs.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #97 on: June 01, 2014, 02:10:14 AM »
I'm always a bit upset more people, when talking about Pre-Meddle songs, don't discuss Let There Be More Light. It's not my favourite song from the era, but it is in my top three.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2014, 03:54:33 AM »
Ok, so I listen to Piper again, and I didn't really like. Going to listen to it again though, to form a better opinion. I remember liking Saucerful a lot more than Piper, so this is going to need another listen as well.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2014, 04:36:25 AM »
I prefer Saucerful over Piper as an album. Set The Controls is one of Roger's finest songs from this period, and Rick's Remember A Day is nice too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #100 on: June 01, 2014, 04:54:03 AM »
I'm always a bit upset more people, when talking about Pre-Meddle songs, don't discuss Let There Be More Light. It's not my favourite song from the era, but it is in my top three.

I love the bipolarity of that song, those 'choruses' sung by Gilmour are really unlike anything else in that song, the psychedelic intro and outro are more fitting. It sort of forms a bridge between the psychedelic ancient-floyd and not-quite-masterpieces-yet old-floyd.

Remember a Day has that great 'Why can't we play today' section, which makes it something totally different from Set The Controls, but for the rest those songs are quite alike, stylistically.
I've always found Set The Controls a bit lacking actually, it would be double as awesome with a jam with different chords, a real chorus, something else at least. Later live versions are more dynamic, which makes them better. The studio version doesn't do much for me.
Same can be said of the title track. Later live versions are awesome (Pompeii  :heart) but the studio version, just like Set The Controls, is dynamically not interesting enough, and doesn't have the compositional skills to compensate for it. Although it must be said, that you can sense the epicness they had inside them.

I love the fact that Corporal Clegg is sort of like his own tiny rock opera. Maybe this is the most direct line to The Wall on this album. A story (I can't really hear everything they sing), very, very different parts within one song, but it all fits together. And that Kazoo... Well, I can listen to it (or through it).

See Saw - well yeah, cool experiment, not memorable at all, actually. Not even halfway through Jugband and I've got no idea how See Saw went.
Jugband Blues. This is actually a cool track. I've always loved Syd, his weirdness, his drug-abuse-music, the fact that nothing's normal with him. The orchestral middle part in this song is totally fitting to him.

Overall a cool album, it is loaded with good idea's, but I don't think there's one song that is 'right'. Where Piper was a real debut-album, this is more of a 'but wait we can do much more!'-disc. I can imagine that if you heard this when it came out, you'd have no idea.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #101 on: June 01, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »

I've always found Set The Controls a bit lacking actually, it would be double as awesome with a jam with different chords, a real chorus, something else at least. Later live versions are more dynamic, which makes them better. 

I've always thought that the live version Roger Waters did on the In the Flesh tour in the late 90s was the definitive version.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2014, 02:20:40 AM »

I've always found Set The Controls a bit lacking actually, it would be double as awesome with a jam with different chords, a real chorus, something else at least. Later live versions are more dynamic, which makes them better. 

I've always thought that the live version Roger Waters did on the In the Flesh tour in the late 90s was the definitive version.

Oh wow, I always thought that was one of the lowpoints of the track  :lol
In my opinion that version was too poppy, way too rounded off, instead of the early harsh psychedelic sound. I personally like that song on a 70's bootleg I've got, Pink Pigs over Fillmore West. But still, that still isn't how I imagine it can be. Maybe there's someone around here that can point me to a great bootleg of 1967-1971.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2014, 07:34:51 AM »
I'm running behind, I'll try to get to Saucerful later today or tomorrow. 

Three discography threads running at once is killing me lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2014, 10:15:50 AM »

Haven't heard that version, I'll have to give it a listen.