Author Topic: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'On An Island, end V1'  (Read 33455 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'Two Suns In The Sunset'
« Reply #455 on: July 26, 2014, 02:17:23 PM »
I love AMLOR. Maybe not as much as DSotM-The Wall or TDB... but still.

My thing with this album is I cannot listen to any of the songs individually (except Learning to Fly). It has to be in album context to keep me hooked.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline jammindude

« Reply #456 on: July 26, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
And Radio KAOS is a TERRIFIC album.   YES, you should do it!   :metal
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline masterthes

« Reply #457 on: July 26, 2014, 02:43:25 PM »
I'll always have love for Learning to Fly. It was the first Pink Floyd I was ever exposed to thanks to MTV. I love On The Turning Away and Sorrow is awesome, especially live.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Re: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'A New Machine (Part 1)'
« Reply #458 on: July 26, 2014, 09:09:03 PM »
Terminal Frost :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #459 on: July 26, 2014, 11:02:36 PM »
I don't love this album, but I like it. Signs of Life, Learning to Fly (first Floyd song I ever knew thanks to MTV!), One Slip, On the Turning Away and Yet Another Movie are all really good.  I am not wild about the studio version of Sorrow - it sounds too sterile and lifeless - but the live version from Delicate Sound of Thunder is beastly.   

Overall, good album, and I get why some don't consider it a real Floyd album, given the zero input from Wright and Mason.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #460 on: July 26, 2014, 11:18:49 PM »
AMLOR just scraped into my Top 50 .........was my first exposure to Floyd and so I had/have no real allegiance to the "classic" line up.  It's more than possible that I may prefer it to the older stuff as it has a bit of a heavier edge to the guitars that I like.  I intend to return to this thread later and properly educate myself on the earlier stuff though - I really only know the hits outside of AMLOR.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #461 on: July 27, 2014, 05:49:21 AM »
Like Brent, this was the first PF I got as it happened, so it holds a warm spot in my heart.  25 years later, it doesn't sound like or hold up against 70s PF (though I prefer it to Meddle).  Perhaps the reason it didn't sound like Floyd at the time (other than the obvious) was because it was a complete 180 from sound and mood of The Final Cut.  This was like PF born-again, but slightly different.

Unlike Jay, I do think the songs hold up on their own.  I have no problem with any song - the segue tracks are just that.  On The Turning Way is one of my favorite PF songs, period.  And that opening guitar of Sorrow gives me chills everytime I hear it - especially from Delicate Sound of Thunder.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mladen

« Reply #462 on: July 27, 2014, 11:22:51 AM »
I haven't listened to this album in years. I wanted to give it a couple more listens and revisit it adequately, I played it once but couldn't get through the second listen. It's just an album that hardly holds my attention and not a single song stands out as particularly intriguing. A lot of the stuff that Waters brought to the table is now gone and my ears don't hear them being replaced by pretty much anything here. Such a deeply uninteresting record.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #463 on: July 27, 2014, 12:00:55 PM »
Being someone who doesn't care for a bands "identity"/"sound" AMLOR feels more Happy, like soaring through clouds, compared to the depression of The Wall and the Final Cut.

You can really feel the absence of Waters, and the struggle Gilmour had with writing,  which shows in songs like Yet Another Movie. 

I feel Pink Floyd deteriorated with The Wall, by Waters not letting Rick in to record.

AMLOR is a great record with what they can do at the time, some good songs but also some not as great. Which is understandable, as the main songwriter left, and Gilmour admits. But he was dared and what followed this album, proved they still had it.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #464 on: July 27, 2014, 02:12:59 PM »
Went to a kick ass Pink Floyd cover band concert last night!
I must have heard AMLOR less than five times all together. Just like TDB; nothing exceptionally appealing here.
What's remarkable about that album though is how definitively dated it sounds.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #465 on: July 27, 2014, 02:17:40 PM »

Which One?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #466 on: July 27, 2014, 04:33:06 PM »
I think I had listened to this album maybe once or twice before but nothing really jumped out at me. Listening to it again and you can easily tell this album was made in the 80's. It has that slick, polished 80's sound and that shitty drum sound. "Learning to Fly" is a song that I remember as soon as I hear the opening chords, but afterwards, it fades entirely from my mind. Not a terrible song, just not very good. "The Dogs of War" and "On The turning Away" are the two best songs with "Sorrow" being pretty good. "Terminal Frost" is kinda decent but it lacks anything in the way of balls. It's a step away from being soothing soft rock, the type of music one would hear in an elevator or in a doctor's office. The rest? Largely boring. I could see myself enjoying "One Slip" after some more attention but meh, it doesn't really seem worth it.

The Final Cut isn't my favorite Floyd album, in fact it's pretty spotty overall, but I'll take that over this any day of the week. Gilmour just wasn't a strong enough writer at this point to make up for the loss of Waters and the absences of Mason and Wright. This album isn't a total loss but, for me, it's a prime candidate for picking out the best and tossing the rest.

Not the worst Floyd album, but it's down there.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #467 on: July 27, 2014, 06:01:24 PM »

Which One?

Bricks in The Wall, I was general admission, front center of stage and if they had let me write their set list I would have probably wrote what they played last night. They played for two and a half hours.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #468 on: July 28, 2014, 01:58:34 AM »
AMLOR is a great album. I just don't think it's a good Floyd album. I think even Waters admitted it was a good attempt at sounding like Floyd. I love side two - it flows so well.

The easiest thing in the world would have been for Waters to have continued his solo career under the name "Pink Floyd". He decided that wouldn't be right - the band was a spent force creatively. No wonder he was miffed when Gilmour decided to do the same thing.

And yes, you should cover Radio KAOS - I'm waiting to comment on it.
Gotta feel sorry for Waters at this point in time - I always wonder how sucessful KAOS would have been if it had the Pink Floyd name on it, and how sucessful AMLOR would have been without it.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #469 on: July 28, 2014, 06:32:23 AM »
AMLOR will always have a warm place in my heart.  It was the first new Floyd album released after I became a big fan.  As I look back now, I can see that it doesn't sound quite like classic Floyd, but I couldn't make that distinction at the time, so I just liked it.  I still think Dogs of War and On the Turning Away stand up with most of the PF catalogue. 

:tup :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #470 on: July 28, 2014, 08:44:38 AM »
Seems I'm the only guy who loves this album without reservation.  :lol

Context kind of helps this one a lot, seeing as a lot of comments are about how dated it sounds and how 80s it is. Here's the thing: like most Bob Ezrin productions, when this came out in 1987 it sounded unearthly. It was one of the best sounding albums out there, and while nearly 30 years have rendered it dated, back then AMLOR just had this huge, cinematic wall of sound that could shake walls if you cranked it up. Yes, it's as much a David Gilmour solo album with the Pink Floyd name slapped on it as The Final Cut was a Waters solo album done the same way, but I still love it to pieces, and always will. I was one of the ones who figured with Waters gone Pink Floyd was finished, but AMLOR proved me wrong.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #471 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:13 AM »
Yep, there is no doubt it's sounds awesome.

Also, the cover is totally awesome.  Floyd has a lot of great album covers, but this is one of my favorites.

And to Curious Orange's point about Gilmour needing the Pink Floyd name, he even later said that he had spent decades building up the Floyd name and that no one knew his name, so financially it was the smarter move to use the Pink Floyd name.  He obviously felt differently later on, hence him releasing On an Island as a solo album back in 2006.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
« Reply #472 on: July 28, 2014, 07:28:20 PM »
For Waters, his album compared to Pink Floyd's didn't have any problems. In 1979 Waters met Jim Ladd for a radio documentary on The Wall album, and this helped start develop the lovely theme that Radio K.A.O.S would have.  An event from the 1985 miners' strike in Britain where a striking worker threw a concrete block off a motorway bridge, killing a taxi driver who was taking a working miner to his job. This was in Waters' mind as he recorded over 3 months, starting in October. There's really nothing.. UNIQUE to talk about here to say the least. Waters had the help of his Bleeding Heart band, including Andy Fairweather Low and Mel Collins! That's right, Mel Collins played on..

Radio K.A.O.S (1987)

1. Radio Waves             
2. Who Needs Information?             
3. Me Or Him             
4. The Powers That Be             
5. Sunset Strip               
6. Home             
7. Four Minutes             
8. The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid)

This is a solid album. It's MUCH better than The Final Cut and A Momentary Lapse of Reason to me, but I do have one issue, and it's why I feel like this is the weakest solo effort from Roger Waters for me. The ending feels like a cop-out happy ending. Seriously. It comes a bit out of nowhere. I would like to state that the Jim Ladd fella is the radio host through out the album, and I feel like he does a fantastic job of it. I'll post my thoughts about both these albums more later, I'm under a bit of pressure at the moment.
-- -- -- -- -- -- --

... Waters didn't have much stories behind the recording of his solo albums, did he? This one did take a while though to record, starting 1988 and finishing in 1992. But it's worth the wait, it's got Jeff Beck on it. The title track's lyrics start with "Doctor Doctor", the same as "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk" on The Piper at the Gates of Dawn, which is the first song written by Waters. That's the only fact I have for..

Amused to Death (1992)

The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard
What God Wants, Part I
Perfect Sense, Part I
Perfect Sense, Part II
The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range
Late Home Tonight, Part I
Late Home Tonight, Part II
Too Much Rope
What God Wants, Part II
What God Wants, Part III
Watching TV
Three Wishes
It's A Miracle
Amused To Death

I love this album. I WILL talk more about this, and I'm sorry, but I'm under pressure from else where at the moment so I can't really write long, but I wanted to get the post up about each album first.
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #473 on: July 28, 2014, 08:24:29 PM »
I am busy at the moment, or I'd say more, but seeing as Amused to Death is my favorite album by anyone ever, I will be back later to say more. A lot more.  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #474 on: July 28, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
Don't know either of these, so I guess I know what's on the listening docket for tomorrow morning!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #475 on: July 28, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »
I've followed along but haven't really had time to comment throughout. I enjoy a lot of the band's material before Meddle and loved pretty much everything from that point forward.

I'm likely one of the bigger fans of AMLOR on the forums. I like the big sound it has (dated or not at this point). Considering the pressure they had to be under I think it was a large success. I wouldn't put it among their top albums but its still a very good one IMO.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #476 on: July 28, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
I absolutely adore KAOS. I think that would made a fantastic PF album. Can you imagine DGs input and flavor on that album, taking it to a whole new level???

Alas...what might have been.

I only gave Amused a couple of spins, and it just didn't hit me at all. But the way everyone brags about it makes me want to give it another try.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #477 on: July 29, 2014, 01:52:42 AM »
I listened to AMLOR last night for the first time in about 20 years. I was pleasantly surprised.

It hasn't dated as much as I thought it would, but it definitely has that 80s production sound, especially on the drums. Signs of Life is a particularly powerful opener, you're never quite sure where its going to go. Gilmour's voice is a bit raw and dodgy throughout, but the various sound effects and atmospherics work well. On The Turning Away is a real highlight. I actually really loved this, it's Floyd, but a different Floyd. I want to listen to it again, and that's always a good sign.

As for Radio KAOS - Oh dear.

This is something of a curate's egg. The roots of the album can be found on Water's soundtrack to the animated movie Where The Wind Blows. Track this one down if you haven't heard it, it's the origin of Rog's "KAOS sound" and the nuclear war themes. The concept / story of Billy is preposterous and bombastic, and everything it should be in that "so bad its good" way we would expect from the man who gave us The Wall. There are some great songs on here, with The Powers That Be and Sunset Strip being the best. I loved this album when it came out - must have played it to death. Went to see Rog on the KAOS tour, and it blew my mind, seriously. To this day one of the best arena shows I've seen. But the sad fact is, time has not been kind to it.

But. The production is terrible. I have no idea what Rog was thinking. This has always sounded like he's been listening to Paul Simon's "Graceland" and Peter Gabriel's "So", and trying to do something similar, and failing utterly.  The album was co-produced with someone called Ian Ritchie (who?), and features the bizarre guitar scatchings of someone called Jay Stapely (who?). In trying to sound contemporary, in trying to move away from the PF sound he was known for, Waters just sounds - awful.

And surely this is the worst album cover in music history? It's terrible, truly terrible. At every single stage of this project you have to ask WTF was Rog thinking?

But somehow, despite all this, I still love it.

I do agree with jammindude - with a bit more room for the songs to breathe, a few Floydian instrumental sections, this could have been superb. At the very least the CD version should have had the brilliant B-side "Going to Live in LA" on it.  As it is, AMLOR pisses all over it, and it's easy to see why Gilmour and Mason were selling out theaters while Waters was playing half-empty arenas.

Waters learnt his lesson - Amused to Death was made during Pink Floyd's downtime. It has that Floydian feel to it. It has Jeff Beck on it. It's the best solo album Rog has made. Its everything KAOS wasn't but should have been. Only the ship had sailed, with Gilmour and Mason at the helm...

"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #478 on: July 29, 2014, 07:51:00 AM »
Amused to Death is pretty awesome, although, despite the presence of Jeff Beck, I can't help but think how much better it could have been as a Pink Floyd album with contributions from Gilmour and Wright.  It's a Miracle is one of the best songs Waters has ever written (although it is much better on the In the Flesh Live, thanks to the added atmospheric keyboard parts by Jon Carin, which are very Wish You Were Here era-esque), and Perfect Sense, The Bravery of Being out of Range and the title track are all particularly dynamite as well.  Great record.

Online FreezingPoint

« Reply #479 on: July 29, 2014, 10:11:46 AM »
I really like AMLOR. It is the only Floyd album that I have listened to that, in my opinion, sounds like it is in an arena.

Also, because I saw a few people mention it here, I did a proper listen to Delicate Sound of Thunder recently. Amazing. The intro to Sorrow is just  :omg:.

I could never get fully into Waters' solo work. Sure, there are songs that I like, but I have a tough time getting into the entire album. I do need to revisit them for sure. The title track of Amused to Death is so great. It reminds me of Dire Straits' Brothers In Arms, but more spacey.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #480 on: July 29, 2014, 10:28:47 AM »
I might be biased here, but in my opinion Brothers in Arms is far superior to anything from Amused to Death. Though yes, there are similarities, like both singers speak their parts, though Mark is doing it with much more soul, I think. Sadly, Roger's solo work never clicked with me. The only song I really like is It's a Miracle.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #481 on: July 29, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
I've tried various solo albums from various Pink Floyd members (and ex-members) over the years, and none have really grabbed me.  Roger Waters may think he's a brilliant songwriter, and some might even agree, but his ideas never worked for me unless fleshed out in full by the band Pink Floyd.  I've heard The Pros and Cons of Hitch Hiking, Radio K.A.O.S., and Amused to Death, and found some of it interesting, but never enough to bother buying any of them.

David Gilmour, in my opinion, writes better songs, but mostly they're just that: songs.  If I just wanted to hear songs, there are better singer/songwriters I could turn to.

I was optimistic about Rick Wright's solo stuff, and I think there are only the two albums, but once again they're just basically collections of songs.  Not horrible, just nothing special.  I guess I was expecting at least one really cool instrumental, or something.

Pink Floyd to me was the four guys, collaborating in roughly equal measure (not necessarily on every song, but balanced throughout the album), creating something that's greater than the sum of the parts.  The Wall has its problems, but it's the last "fully fledged" (ha!) Pink Floyd album.  When any one of them has too much control/influence over the sound, it just doesn't work as well.  While all four were present, Waters' domination of the group was a detriment.  The only people who seem to feel differently are those who really like Waters' solo stuff, and that makes sense, but I'm not in that group.  After Waters left, sure, they made some good music.  But it was still missing something.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #482 on: July 29, 2014, 12:17:09 PM »
I think Radio K.A.O.S is a masterpiece but for some wondrous reason I haven't heard Amused to Death yet, actually kinda looking forward to it now with all the positive opinions.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #483 on: July 29, 2014, 12:20:51 PM »
I love AMLOR, it was the first PF album I listened to and I remember being a young kid listening to it over and over. I also remember having the Delicate Sound of Thunder VHS which was awesome to watch.

It's aged pretty well for me but there are a few songs I don't listen to, Dogs Of War being one of them.

Learning to Fly is my favorite track off the album and I love Tim Renwick's solos on PULSE and DSOT.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #484 on: July 29, 2014, 12:56:52 PM »
I've never really heard any of Gilmour's solo stuff.

I've heard some of Waters's, but it didn't resonate with me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline emtee

« Reply #485 on: July 29, 2014, 01:01:15 PM »
Gilmour's On An Island is a 10/10 album and if you ever get a chance to hear or buy his Live At Gdansk release, one side
is dedicated to that album and it's even more beautiful live. I'm not really overly fond of all the other solo albums by the
band members.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #486 on: July 29, 2014, 02:05:04 PM »
*great post by Bob*

Exxxxactly!  I liked the three Waters albums well enough, but got interrupted while trying to listen to Amused to Death.  I think it needs a full sitting to truly be appreciated.  Will try to give it that at some point.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #487 on: July 29, 2014, 04:30:52 PM »
Both of those Waters solo albums are really good, I can't decide which one of the two I like better. Radio KAOS is a bit more consistent and catchy, but Amused features my all time favorite Waters solo song, It's a miracle.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #488 on: July 30, 2014, 02:17:09 PM »
Radio K.A.O.S, like I said, is solid. Certainly, I enjoy the opening song Radiowaves, mostly because it sounds so unlike what Waters would actually do. You could turn it into a dance song! But there's one thing that I feel is really noticeable on this album, and it really starts on this album. His voice! It sounds really scratchy to me. Who Needs Infomation sounds a bit better from vocals, but it's a pretty basic song. Mel Collins is noticeable with that Saxophone during the chorus and god it adds texture! I love texture.  This is where the brick incident comes out of Roger's mind into the song.

Me Or Him. I love it. It's got a great big empty room feel. I suppose this is oweing to Benny and being imprisoned. It's got a stripped back feel to it and that female choir is great. Though this song just seems to have a shot at Regan mid-way for it for no reason other than Waters didn't like him. I suppose it's a good lead into The Powers That Be. I feel like there's too much happening in the vocal department at times. There's like, 6 people singing the same line and god, does it get a bit overbearing. Not.. special song, really. Then sudden narrative jump! Billy is in L.A now and Sunset Strip.. Waters seems to be trying to create a disco album at times here. Not my favourite song on the album, but Mel Collins gives another great performance.

HOME! I love THIS song. It's my favourite of the album. That Piano. That Keys. That Bass. Mmgh. The lyrics are great, they really create a feel to it. Even though during the Choruses? it gets a bit muddy at times, this song doesn't suffer for it. It's something that hits close to the heart really. Andy gets that guitar screaming in this song and it's great. If I had to name my all time favourite vocal passage, everything in this last section would be up there. Might even be a winner. Four Minutes is uh.. a song. I can't really say if I like it or hate it. After Home, I can't state my opinion too favourly for it though. The Tide Is Turning (After Live Aid) is good by itself, but in terms of the album? Feels a bit of a cop out. The story over this album is choppy at best and seems to jump around after Me Or Him.

I'll have Amused to Death thoughts later.
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
« Reply #489 on: August 01, 2014, 09:23:37 AM »
ACTUALLY LET'S MOVE ON

So, after A Momentary Lapse of Reason, there was a pause. Pink Floyd didn't do much, really. It was a break. Mason and Gilmour sat on their laurels for a bit before January 1993, where they, along with still not offically a Pink Floyd Member Richard Wright, started mucking about at Britannia Row Studios. Although the band were initially apprehensive about recording together, after the first day their confidence improved. Now enter Guy Pratt again, who had since got a thing going on with Richard Wright's daughter Gala Wright now. He wanted to help out. According to Mason, "an interesting phenomenon occurred, which was that Pratt's playing tended to change the mood of the music we had created on our own". Which I suppose is good? Gilmour, with no pressure from the law, would hit the record key of a two-track DAT recorder if he felt the band were really getting somewhere. He recorded so much from Wright that it became the basis of three tracks!

These improv sessions helped the creative juices of the band, and after two weeks, they had 65 piece of music! When they moved from Britannia to Gilmour's houseboat recording stuido, Astoria, the band listened and voted on each track, eventually wittling it down to 27 pieces of music. After some combining and more eliminating the tracks, they were down to a nice basic 15. Four more went and they arrived at 11 tracks. Their voting way was based upon a system of points, whereby all three members would award marks out of ten to each. This got slightly skewered when Richard Wright awarded all of his songs 10 points and the others nothing. Wright was still not a full time member of the band at this point and it quite upset him. Wright later reflected: "It came very close to a point where I wasn't going to do the album, because I didn't feel that what we'd agreed was fair." Probably best for him to stay. He would receive his first songwriting credits on any Pink Floyd album since 1975's Wish You Were Here.

There was another new player on the scene too! Gilmour's wife, Polly Samson, who also received song-writing credits. The way this started is that she was there for support, but eventually started to help write 'High Hopes', a song about Gilmour's early life in Cambridge. Her role expanded to co-writing a further six songs, and this did not please the producer, Bob Ezrin. Wuh-oh. But not much happened. Along with Keyboard player Jon Carin, Gary Wallis, some singers like Sam Brown, and Momentary Lapse tour singer Durga McBroom, there was more player in recording.

Dick Parry played saxophone on his first Pink Floyd album for almost 20 years, on "Wearing the Inside Out".  Storm Thorgerson provided the album cover with the two metal sculptures the height of a double-decker bus, in a field near Ely. You can even see Ely Cathedral in the background for this 1994 release..

The Division Bell (1994)

1.    "Cluster One" (Instrumental)    N/A    David Gilmour, Richard Wright    5:58
2.    "What Do You Want from Me"      Gilmour, Polly Samson    Gilmour, Wright    4:21
3.    "Poles Apart"      Gilmour, Samson, Nick Laird-Clowes    Gilmour    7:04
4.    "Marooned" (Instrumental)    N/A    Gilmour, Wright    5:29
5.    "A Great Day for Freedom"      Gilmour, Samson    Gilmour    4:17
6.    "Wearing the Inside Out" (Lead vocals: Wright and Gilmour)    Anthony Moore    Wright    6:49
7.    "Take It Back"      Gilmour, Samson, Laird-Clowes    Gilmour, Bob Ezrin    6:12
8.    "Coming Back to Life"      Gilmour    Gilmour    6:19
9.    "Keep Talking"      Gilmour, Samson    Gilmour, Wright    6:11
10.    "Lost for Words"      Gilmour, Samson    Gilmour    5:14
11.    "High Hopes"      Gilmour, Samson    Gilmour    8:31

Just like A Momentary Lapse Of Reason, we start off with an instrumental. But Cluster One is much better than that. It's a nice slow simple build in, with that keyboard, that piano and that guitar. It's something beautiful to open before we go into a track I find quite weak, to be honest, What Do You Want From Me?. It's not that it's bad, it's just I prefer EVERYTHING on this album over it. It's got the Chicago Blues Style from Gilmour's guitar, certainly, but.. Eh. Poles Apart with it's folksy style is pretty good. The lyrics speak to ex-bandmate Syd Barrett in the first verse, and Roger Waters in the second, which.. well, I like it. It's got the personal touch from Gilmour.

Then we go into one of the most beautiful tracks that Pink Floyd have ever done in Marooned. Fan-frickin-tastic. It's my go to song for relaxation. It's got amazing work from Gilmour and Wright. It's the two coming together and making a real desert island feeling song. I used this song on one of my projects where I dug a pond. People thought the song was depressing.

A Great Day For Freedom is a pretty good track, though I swear it could of been written by Waters, with it's jaded look at what's happened since the Berlin Wall came down. Solid. Then comes the special track to me. My favourite. Wearing The Inside Out. That saxophone adds a real atmosphere to it and it's amazing to hear Wright singing. This song would easily be in my top 5 of Pink Floyd songs, though is that surprising? It's got a slow.. jazzy feel to it. Something nice about it. The juxtaposition of Gilmour to Wright's voice is incredible too.

Take It Back is a nice breather after this. Nothing too wacky, just solid e-bow playing from Mr Gilmour. Coming Back To Life is essentially a love song from Gilmour to Polly. It's a nice listen, certainly. Keep Talking is rather cool sounding. The sample from Stephen Hawkins was used in a British television advert and Gilmour found it so moving that he had to have it on his album. This song is incredibly despairing. That's a good way to describe it. It's despair at the impossibility of communication. Lost For Words, funnily enough, contains one of my all time favourite verses in music. "So I open my door to my enemies
And I ask could we wipe the slate clean
But they tell me to please go fuck myself
You know you just can't win."

Perfect. It also helps it a rather solid song too. High Hopes is beautiful. If this HAD been the Swan Song of Pink Floyd, for so many years now has been considered to be the thought, it would have been god damn perfect. It's beautiful. That reference to See Emily Play at the end of it just helps make it more. Yet.

We're here. End of Pink Floyd albums. Or so we thought. 2014, 20 years since The Division Bell, we're getting another Pink Floyd album.

(p.s. we will be doing On An Island)

How does this album work for you? Where do all the Pink Floyd albums rack up now for you?