Author Topic: Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'On An Island, end V1'  (Read 33563 times)

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
  • The One Who Help To Set The Sun
Pink Floyd Discography thread v. 'On An Island, end V1'
« on: May 24, 2014, 05:01:50 PM »
TL;DR version: Band met in college, went underground, did a bunch of acid, met some rich guys, managed to get into EMI and made an album.

Welcome to the Sigma 6 discography discussion! No, wait, hang on, that's not right. The Meggadeaths, the Abdabs and the Screaming Abdabs, Leonard's Lodgers,  the Spectrum Five? No, still not right. Tea Set still sounds great here.  Tea Set must be it. Surely. Up for a small history lesson? Your big chunk of the history lesson is going to be behind a link because otherwise we're in for a huge OP.

TL;DR version: People met in college, Drummer brought instruments, Acid was done, expermentation, met some rich guys, leading into..

1967, and the band known as Pink Floyd was starting to breach the mainstream walls. Whilst negotiations were going on with a number of companies, UFO, a venue Pink Floyd frequented quite a bit, club manager Joe Boyd and Pink Floyd's booking manager Bryan Morrison got the band some recording time. What came out of these sessions were Arnold Layne and it's b-side Candy and a Currant Bun. Three days before it's single release, Pink Floyd signed with EMI. These were the first releases by EMI on the Columbia label for the band, and it sparked a period of success before the first album. Brief talk about Arnold Layne, and it's kind of the hybrid between the Blues that Syd Barrett loved so much, and the off beat instrumentation that the band had. It's short, too.

Lyrically, it's about a transvestite (who, according to Roger Waters, is a real person), who stole clothes from a washing line and wore them. These lyrics lead to the song being banned by Radio stations, and some fiddling was needed with the numbers to make Arnold Layne a top 20 hit. Between Arnold Layne and the next single to be released, 'See Emily Play', Pink Floyd entered the studio to record..

The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

This album has two tracklistings, a UK and US version. Let's start with the UK version..

No.      Title                                                          Lead Vocals                          Length
1.    "Astronomy Domine"                                  Barrett and Richard Wright    4:12
2.    "Lucifer Sam"                                          Barrett                            3:07
3.    "Matilda Mother"                                          Wright and Barrett            3:08
4.    "Flaming"                                                 Barrett                                    2:46
5.    "Pow R. Toc H."*                                      Instrumental                    4:26
6.    "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk"+        Waters                            3:05
Side two    
No.     Title                                     Lead vocals    Length    
1.    "Interstellar Overdrive"#      Instrumental    9:41
2.    "The Gnome"                               Barrett            2:13
3.    "Chapter 24"                            Barrett            3:42 
4.    "The Scarecrow"                        Barrett            2:11
5.    "Bike"                                       Barrett            3:21

* Written by Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason
+ Written by Roger Waters
# Written by Syd Barrett, Roger Waters, Rick Wright and Nick Mason

And what's the difference in the US Version..?

Side one    
No.    Title                                                     Lead vocals                         Length    
1.    "See Emily Play"                                      Barrett                                 2:53
2.    "Pow R. Toc H."*                                    Barrett and Waters                 4:26
3.    "Take Up Thy Stethoscope and Walk"+    Waters                                 3:05
4.    "Lucifer Sam"                                      Barrett                                 3:07
5.    "Matilda Mother"                                      Wright and Barrett                 3:08
Side two    
No.    Title                                      Lead vocals    Length    
1.    "The Scarecrow"                Barrett            2:11
2.    "The Gnome"                     Barrett            2:13
3.    "Chapter 24"                     Barrett            3:42
4.    "Interstellar Overdrive"#     Instrumental    9:41

Before I discuss anything to do with recording or the US incredible lame (NO AD? MADNESS) tracklist, let's talk the cover for a moment. Up-and-coming society photographer Vic Singh was the man who got to photograph the band for the album cover. Singh knew a guy who knew George Harrison of the Beatles, who were recording at the same time as Pink Floyd. Singh asked Jenner and King to dress the band in the brightest clothes they could find. According to Singh, Once the band had been relaxed with several joints, he shot them with a prism lens that Harrison had given him. Quote from Singh about the cover: "It was unusual and different, and they were delighted with it, and Syd did his own little drawing on the back cover."

Recording wise, there's many stories to tell here. The band's deal with EMI was bad, really bad. A £5,000 advance over five years, low royalties, having to record in Abbey Road [SO TERRIBLE] and no free studio time. However, EMI, because they were unsure of what band they had just signed, allowed Pink Floyd to have free reign in making their album as well as help developing it. This lead to producer Norman Smith and Balance Engineer Pete Brown helping to make The Piper at the Gates of Dawn. Brown was Norman's mentor, but most importantly, Brown helped experiment in creating that rather unique echo/reverb heavy sound that Piper had, most of which came from a  set of Elektro-Mess-Technik plate reverberators and Abbey Road Studio's Echo Chamber.  Brown had made the microphone set up differed heavily from the other small time local band named The Beatles, who Norman Smith set up the mics for.

The Piper at the Gates of Dawn is made up of two types of tracks. The long instrumental improvs from Pink Floyd's live act and the shorter songs that Barrett had written, who's LSD intake skyrocketed part way through the recording session. Mason said that these sessions went smoothly, although Norman Smith disagreed. Despite playing some jazz improv with the band to get to know them better and make them feel more comfortable with him, Smith and Syd disagreed a fair bit. A lot of takes were required to record every song, except for The Scarecrow, with it's one take only.

I enjoy this album, although it differs to a fair amount of other Pink Floyd, due to it's more psychedelic material, combined with the difference with Syd's creative controlness. I'm not sure why the US version omits two of my favourite tracks of the album, (Flaming and Astronomy Domine), but I suppose not everything can be perfect. As all of my experience comes from the UK version, I'll have to talk about that. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn was the fifth Pink Floyd album I heard, and that was when I was, ooh, 13? (Hi 2007.) I was unsure what I was getting into, and I was even more unsure coming out of it. What did I like? What did I dislike? Did I consider it to be a great debut or an awkward one? I certainly enjoyed Astronomy Domine, Flaming and Interstellar Overdrive, especially Astronomy Domine's guitar sound. I found Pow R. Toc H. and The Scarecrow bad on my first listen to, and the rest.. I just didn't know. I gave it a second spin through to see if my opinions changed, and a third time, before leaving it for a year.

When I came back to it, a year older and bit more open to it, I found myself singing along to every song that I remembered, spotting things that made me appreciate Pow R. Toc H. more (I still don't like The Scarecrow). I must admit, though, Bike doesn't work for me as an ending for an album and I think the US release having it end on Interstellar Overdrive makes for a much interesting ending. But unlike a couple of albums coming up next, I go listen to this album with out much reason too.

I'm going to apologize for this long, pretty bad post, but we're starting!

Questions
1. Should I also do whatever Live EPs there might be?
2. Should we talk about the film soundtracks?
3. Should we also look at the individual members solo albums?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:14:50 AM by GentlemanofDread »
i don't even like dt but i had keyboard and an ipad so what the fuck
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
omg I have't broken Piper out in ages.

I love love love Astronomy, Interstellar, Bike, See Emily Play (probably my fav from the album / era) and Arnold Layne (second fav)

And to answer your questions...

YES YES and YES.

I have been waiting for this thread for like... ever.

I will be participating ;)
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
The main reason I was asking about the live stuff is actually a release that was recorded after Piper, came out in 95, and I kind of want to use for the basis of my discussion about A) Syd's decline and B) HOW LONG INTERSTELLAR OVERDRIVE WAS.

I didn't talk much about See Emily Play, so I should. It's much better than Arnold Layne in my opinion, so I can see why it made it onto the US release of Pipers, but I still think the two tracks it effectively replace are better. Couldn't just squeeze Scarecrow out for See Emily Play?
Jordan is actually DT's tax advisor. He just happens to do their taxes on stage, that's why he has that iPad there.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
As far as the questions, I'm going no, maybe, and no. I feel like solo albums and live EPs will make this thing drag horribly. We've already got about 15 albums to go through, so that's 15 weeks, or nearly 4 months. Movie soundtracks might be a little more sensible since they are full band compositions and the songs don't really appear anywhere else.

Anyway, Piper is an excellent album. I remember picking it up having no idea what to expect. I loved the holy 4 of Dark Side, WYWH, Animals, and The Wall. I knew their earlier stuff was different, but had no idea how different. Immediately fell in love with the psychedelic side of Floyd. Syd's lyrics are amazing, and the songs were so tripped out. Interstellar Overdrive is some serious lava-lamp zone-out shit.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Do the none PULSE / Delicate Sound / Is There Anybody Out There? live stuff all in one at the end. Yes, do the soundtracks (More and Clouds right? Maybe skip Zabraskie Point (They only did like 2 songs for it.. right?)

And I really think the solo albums need to be done. Roger's albums feel, to me, like a continuation of the direction he was taking with The Final Cut (and kinda The Wall) and David's On An Island is pretty much just as much as a PF album as TDB is. Plus... Live In Gdanks is probably my FAVOURITE of all the Pink Floyd / Waters / Gilmour releases.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
I will say this now, The Wall/Is Anybody Out There? is being put together because I consider Is Anybody Out There the definitive (and best) version of The Wall, but more on that later. I wasn't going to do Zabraskie Point because they didn't make any new tracks for it, so it would have been silly.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
That makes sense... The Wall album and Tour.

Oh but...

Heart Beat, Pig Meat !
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:52:41 PM by JayOctavarium »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Have to give this one a spin, not that familiar with it, except for Astronomy Domine, but I remember liking it a fair bit. Will post thoughts soon. Definitely on board for this one, though.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
1. Doesn't matter to me. Their omission won't break my heart nor will I be bothered if they're included.

2. Definitely

3. Same as 1.

5. Great thread idea
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
This thread... even though it just started.... has me really gitty about Pink Black Floyd :heart

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I think, regarding the solo albums, I'd do it the way Orbert did for the Yes thread: only feature a few of them, not all of them.  Amused to Death and On an Island and maybe another one or two, but that's all. 

I wouldn't do the live stuff (it always feels like a waste of that week when the discussion is merely about a live album).  The soundtracks, probably.

Anyway, I am not that wild about Piper.  It has a few songs I like (The Scarecrow and Astronomy Domine are the two that stand out the most), but it has a lot of stuff I don't care if I ever hear again.  When I hear that album, it makes me wonder what people were on when they talked about Syd Barrett's alleged genius.  Granted, I like many of the early singles that pre-dated Piper, like Arnold Layne, Candy and a Currant Bun, Apples and Oranges, Julia Dream, Point Me at the Sky and Paint Box, and I would say that Early Singles disc that came with the box set that came out in the 90s is far better than Piper. 

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
This thread... even though it just started.... has me really gitty about Pink Black Floyd :heart

:blush
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
I'm so totally going to follow this thread
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline adace

Of their first 4 albums, Piper is far and away my favorite one. It shows that not only were P.F. one of the best prog bands around, but also one of the best psychedelic bands.

Offline GentlemanofDread

• The dreaded man
I think, regarding the solo albums, I'd do it the way Orbert did for the Yes thread: only feature a few of them, not all of them.  Amused to Death and On an Island and maybe another one or two, but that's all.

I was thinking I'd do it like Orbert. Solo albums would be Pros and Cons to Hitchhiking, About Face and Amused to Death. Maybe On an Island at the end but I'd have to give that a proper spin once more.

Of their first 4 albums, Piper is far and away my favorite one. It shows that not only were P.F. one of the best prog bands around, but also one of the best psychedelic bands.

And all they needed was one good psychedelic album to do that! I am in agreement with you that Piper is the best of the first four albums, although the movie soundtracks might just beat it out.

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
Pink Floyd is pretty much my musical equivalent of having grown up, so I'll be following the hell out of this. I have to admit, while I enjoy Piper, I always prefered Saucerful out of their early stuff, it feels more atmospheric to me, but Piper does have Astronomy Domine (which just rules hard).
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
On an Island was kind of the natural follow-up to The Division Bell, 12 years later, so I think it'd be a finishing way to eventually end the thread. 

I didn't mention this in my first post, but Floyd was really the first band I ever went completely bananas over, back in the fall of 1990.  They were far and away my favorite band for a little over a year (until Rush overtook them in late '91).  However, I never heard Piper (or, really, anything pre-Meddle until the mid 90s).  I never had any inkling to check out the earliest stuff cause everybody I knew who also loved Floyd all said it wasn't worth checking out. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
He's finishing up a new disk as well.

Following.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Piper is alright, but I've never been that into the Syd period of the band (aside from the singles Arnold Layne and See Emily Play). Better things were to come!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
Honestly, I'm not that big a fan of Piper. I don't really care for either Syd's singing or his songwriting. However, Piper does have a few tracks I like, but I mostly tend to vacillate to the songs which feature the least amount of Syd singing, namely Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive.

I haven't listened to the full album in a long, long time, so I think it's time for another listen but god am I not relishing the thought. At the least, I'll be able to give a more nuanced opinion other than "I dislike most of it" even if that's what it ultimately comes down to.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
He's finishing up a new disk as well.

Following.

And I can't fucking wait for that. I really think On An Island would be in my top 25 albums of any artist of all time.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni

And I can't fucking wait for that. I really think On An Island would be in my top 25 albums of any artist of all time.
Yes. Yes. Ten hundred times damn yes.

I love On An Island; Remember That Night from Royal Albert Hall is one of my favourite live recordings; and Gilmour is definitely my favourite musician out there. Can't wait to hear what he puts up next.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline masterthes

Not a fan of their early stuff. I'll join in when we get to Meddle

Offline jammindude

The soundtracks were included in Oh By The Way...so i would think they would be automatic.

Well. ..theres also Zabriskie Point, which isnt included, but i also think you should talk about.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Answers...
1. No
2. Yes
3. No

Quite honestly, I'm not a huge pre-DSOTM fan.  Some is OK, but some is un-listenable to me. SO!  When we get down the road a bit....I'm in!  Floyd is one of the greatest bands of all time in my book.  The 4 album run from DSOTM on is one of the, if not the, best 4 album run ever.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
I listened to Piper in my travels today. I forgot how much I adore that album. Syd is so brilliantly deranged, and his insanity lends itself to the music so well. My girlfriend was listening as well, and commented how it sounds like The Beatles but with even more drugs. I never really thought of early Barrett Floyd as even remotely comparable to The Beatles, but I definitely see it. The vocal styling and song structures are quite Beatles-like. I personally love Piper more than anything The Beatles ever made, but it's kind of cool to think about Piper being released in the same year as Sgt. Pepper. '67 was a really fantastic year for music.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Every time I listen to Piper-which I love madly, though in a different way than any other Pink Floyd album-I often wonder what might have been had Syd Barrett remained the creative leader of the band. It would have been vastly different, not certain it would have lasted as long, as it was far more rooted in 60s psychedelia than the Waters led version, and possibly wouldn't have made it across the ocean quite as successfully (and I believe the tension between Waters and Gilmour, until the end, drove the band forward creatively), but damn it would have been interesting.

And as you've already covered the solo albums I was about to recommend-Pros and Cons and Amused to Death from Waters, yes, you guys get to hear me gush about my favorite album in longer than two sentences in an oft delayed top 50, and About Face from Gilmour-things are looking good on that front.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

And as you've already covered the solo albums I was about to recommend-Pros and Cons and Amused to Death from Waters, yes, you guys get to hear me gush about my favorite album in longer than two sentences in an oft delayed top 50, and About Face from Gilmour-things are looking good on that front.

I'm definitely looking forward to your long-winded* fellating of Amused to Death. :biggrin:

*And I mean "long-winded" in the nicest way possible, of course. :) :lol

I really think On An Island would be in my top 25 albums of any artist of all time.

I can't go that far, but I do love it to pieces, nonetheless. 
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:28:26 AM by KevShmev »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Went through a HUGE Floyd crush phase about 25 years ago lol.

They have always been a huge fave, but I've never explored their early work like I should.  Looking forward to this. 

As to the questions - do what you want, it's your thread.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I have a feeling this thread won't really take off with oodles of participation until Meddle is featured. 

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm putting on LP one of the double album set A Nice Pair, right now. Partly because I've got that set, I've never really known what songs are on Piper, and what songs are on Saucerful. But I'll do my best to pay attention right now.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I tried to listen to Piper again in order to follow this thread, but I found it just as insufferable as I did the last time I tried to listen to it. :lol The early Floyd albums are just not my thing at all.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
I'd forgotten about Lucifer Sam, that's a great song.

Edit: It actually all fails at Pow R Toc H or something. That just a jamtrack with a solo by Rick Wakeman with a couple of major errors in it. Take Up Thy... is actually a cool song too, I love the (I guess) Farfisa organ in that.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 09:58:24 AM by Nihil-Morari »

Offline jammindude

I have a feeling this thread won't really take off with oodles of participation until Meddle is featured.

It's funny to me that several people seem to be saying this.    I was really only just a passive PF fan until I started listening to the pre-Meddle stuff.   Atom Heart Mother, Saucerful and Obscured by Clouds were the albums that converted me from "I really like Pink Floyd" to "Pink Floyd is one of the most amazing bands ever!"

On the subject of Piper.   It's just so different from anything that came later that it kinda catches you off guard at first.   I'll have to give it a spin today, because other than AD, IO and Bike (which I absolutely LOVE) I don't remember any of it.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok... Just sat down and gave the album a proper listen. I forgot how much I love Chapter 24! So mellow. So Chill.

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"