Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 51446 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Eyes forward
« Reply #350 on: July 06, 2014, 06:36:29 PM »
I'm just waiting for the writeup and ensuing listen to see if Scrop is right, and I do like it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #351 on: July 06, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Im just still waiting to hear Sacul's opinion :P
Well, I've only listened to the first half. It's calm most of the time, but not in a way Devin usually does. Also, I've been re-listening lots of albums for my top 50, so I haven't had time to digest Ki. Will give it another listen in a few days though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #352 on: July 06, 2014, 07:08:36 PM »
I don't enjoy Gato or Disruptr as most here do, I can only listen to those songs within the context of the album. I enjoy Heaven send, Demon League, Quiet Riot and especially love Ki, and just adore winter a lot.

This album was the first of Devy doing something way different, besides the EPK project on the bonus disc of Accelerated Evolution.

A
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #353 on: July 08, 2014, 05:15:22 PM »
Ki is a great album that IF you choose to go back to it at different times you'll really discover the magic that it contains. It won't hit you all at once. I do have to say I'm surprised that there isn't more being said about "Terminal"... Devin's voice is so great here.

He always impresses me with his range from something restrained and beautiful like this to something where he he's growling and or screaming the roof off or even something operatic.. but "Terminal" just brings me to almost tears just by the simple beautiful vocals (maybe its just me being a nancy lol)...

Really guys/gals, Ki has some really superb work if you are in the mood for that kind of vibe. Another top album for me from Dev!

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #354 on: July 08, 2014, 05:23:53 PM »
I agree with you, Terminal is absolutely amazing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #355 on: July 08, 2014, 08:33:20 PM »
Gave it a full listen yesterday. I'm not sure what to think about it. It may grow on me, but all the songs felt quite similar. Too similar, in fact.

Offline adace

« Reply #356 on: July 08, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
Ki is a good album but it always felt a bit too long and uneven quality-wise.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #357 on: July 08, 2014, 11:28:02 PM »
Relistened, and it's still awesome. Yeah, it's slightly similar in mood across the board, but the mood is so tension-laden that it never gets boring, and there are quite a few subtle variations throughout to keep things interesting. Also, "Lady Helen" is still my favourite on this album, so a high five to the esteemed gentleman out there that shares my opinion on this matter (yes, I mean you, Mr. Beck).

o/
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #358 on: July 08, 2014, 11:45:39 PM »
*\o

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #359 on: July 09, 2014, 01:05:26 AM »
Hey, I just decided to give a try to Devin Townsend, since I saw the Retinal Circus and I was like  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

I just listened to Ki and some random songs from other records.

Ki was awesome, boring at times, but still awesome.

I was gonna listen to Addicted now but I think I'll wait for its writeup and then once I finish the DTP albums I'll go backwards.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 01:13:34 AM by mikemangioy »
Because Mike is better than Mike

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #360 on: July 09, 2014, 05:44:04 AM »
Let's go UMH.  It's been 10 days .... it shouldn't last this long.  Wait, wrong band.

Either way, let's move... the Earth isn't turning any slower.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. I'm alright to fly
« Reply #361 on: July 09, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »

Picking up after the (mostly) quiet and pensive Ki, Addicted immediately sets itself apart as its own unit of the DTP. From the opening “oh YEAAAHHHH” we get a sense of the type of album this is going to be. It’s pounding, catchy without being even remotely cheesy, and utterly fucking awesome from beginning to end. I ranked Addicted number 2 on my top 50 albums back in 2011, and 3 years later it’s still easily within my top 10 albums of all time, and quite easily my second favorite Devin Townsend offering. Every song has something amazing to remember, be it the soaring beauty of Anneke van Giersbergen’s backing vocals, the most epic choruses to ever grace music, or even the overarching flow of expertly crafted “pop” songs.

Addicted was my first true foray into the world of Devin Townsend. My friend and ex-forumer Alex sent me Bend it Like Bender! and the rest is pretty much history. I picked up Addicted shortly after, liking it, but not really seeing why everyone was gushing over it. Yeah, it was poppy metal. Cool. It wasn’t until a few months down the road that I truly appreciated what Addicted accomplishes. Obviously, in terms of the DTP, Addicted serves the role of optimism. The happy, yet still somehow purely metal, songs drive home the point that Devin is ready to “fix” himself and is feeling great about everything that’s to come. Indeed, the atmosphere of Addicted is extremely contagious. For pretty much all of my last year of high school, Addicted got regular play on Fridays as a sort of kick-off for the upcoming weekend. I mentioned my “ritual,” and the concept of Addicted Friday! was born. I don’t listen to Addicted nearly as much as I used to, but it was there to put me out of a bad mood whenever I needed it. In nearly 200 desired mood changes, Addicted won every single time.

Honestly, Addicted is a little tough to classify. If I was forced to pick a single mixed genre, I would probably call it pop-metal. I’ve seen other people call it Cannibal Corpse + Britney Spears, which I don’t really agree with at all, but it sets up how strange the genre clash is. Despite the unique blend of styles, the album never once gets lost in itself or loses direction. It flows perfectly from beginning to end without wavering even slightly. It’s majestic, heavy, honest, comforting, exhilarating, and wacky all at the same time. Really, there’s a heap of descriptors and hyperbolic praise I could throw at this album, but you’d probably do better to just listen to it. Just imagine an album full of songs like Life, Stagnant, Material, Slow Me Down, and even Vampira. It’s amazing.

To go with the optimistic shift in the musical style, we’ve also got a much more lighthearted lyrical tone. The lyrics are mostly based around taking the next step on Devin’s road to recovery. Mentions of being ready (after a whole album about not being sure if one’s ready) are sprinkled around here and there, but we won’t truly explore the concept Devin is “ready” for until the next album. Thinking about it now and how it relates to Deconstruction, Addicted reminds me of the feeling I get when it’s the last day of summer or the last day before going back to work or whatever. It’s optimistic beyond comprehension, almost like it’s trying to make the most of its last day before the hardships begin.

Really, the amount of musical dualities fighting with each other and somehow gelling is absolutely insane. We’ve got insanely heavy guitars mixing with synths and pop sensibilities, massively harsh vocals from Devin Townsend and the angelic Anneke vocals, and generally aggressive music finally taking off its angry mask and moshing about happy shit. This is an album that really needs to be experienced by anyone who’s ever enjoyed heavy music. It’s that good.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 08:57:47 AM by Ultimetalhead »
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #362 on: July 09, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »
Addicted is definitely the party album of the DTP!

I love it, it's my second favourite behind Terria.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #363 on: July 09, 2014, 10:34:02 AM »
It's a fun album. I need to be in the right mood for it, I've found, because if I'm not then the whole thing feels samey.

BUT DAT HYPERDRIVE THO! Fav song on the album.

And I swear The Way Home! is a super happy callback to Coast. Ever since you guys mentioned that these first four DTP albums have a bunch of similar sections, I've been getting crazy trying to find them.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #364 on: July 09, 2014, 10:35:24 AM »
There's another callback of sorts to Coast in Numbered!. In Coast the line is "I'm alright to go" and then in Numbered! becomes "I'm alright to fly" which is also the thread title for now because the way Devin sings that line gives me chills.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #365 on: July 09, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »
Oh nice! I love that kind of continuity in an artist's work. It makes going back and relistening a fulfilling experience.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #366 on: July 09, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
Oh nice! I love that kind of continuity in an artist's work. It makes going back and relistening a fulfilling experience.
Devin's work is full of little things like that, not just the DTP. Love? has a reprise in Notes From Africa, there's a slight callback to Depth Charge in Decimator, and Color Your World has TWO within like a minute of music (Sooner or later the knights... from Wrong Side, and Who's the weakest now? from Voices in the Fan).

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #367 on: July 09, 2014, 10:57:32 AM »
Amazing album.
I'm just gonna quote my write-up for it in my top albums list from 2012, where it came in at #7...

What a coincidence that we’ve gone from one of the most depressing albums ever made to one of the most, happy, upbeat, and energetic albums ever made. Devin Townsend has made tons of amazing stuff over the years, and this is one of his greatest accomplishments. How would I describe this album? Well, it’s like a show where half the crowd is moshing and the other half is dancing. It’s a very heavy record, with huge, crushing guitars and Devin’s powerful screaming vocals, but it’s mixed with lots of electronic and pop influences. While that might sound terrible on paper, it works out amazingly well. Nobody could have made a record that sounds quite like this besides Devin. It strikes the perfect balance between heavy and accessible, and its constantly upbeat and energy-filled vibe is absolutely infectious. Putting this record on is like injecting yourself with a combination of ecstasy and caffeine. It’s perfect for Friday afternoons when you’re all done with work or school or whatever, and have nothing but the weekend ahead of you. It’s a pretty short album, but not a second is wasted, and each song is great. The opening track, Addicted!, sets the tone for what’s to come with a brutal but upbeat and catchy-as-hell riff. That song then transitions directly into the amazing Universe In A Ball!, which, like a lot of the record, would fit perfectly in both a heavy metal show and a sweet rave party. Most tracks on the album feature female vocals by Anneke Van Giersbergen, and she really adds a lot to the music. This is especially noticeable on the track Hyperdrive!, which she sings lead vocals on, and does a freaking amazing job, too. The album closes with Awake!!, which brings all the album’s elements together into a satisfying and uplifting conclusion. This record is truly a work of genius, both in concept and execution. It’s so well done and unique-sounding that it sounds like a completely new genre of music, almost. While it may be a little TOO happy for some people (I feel bad for those guys), it’s an amazing record that I’d recommend to nearly everyone, and if for some unfathomable reason you’re reading this and haven’t checked Devin Townsend’s work out yet, this would be a great place to start.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #368 on: July 09, 2014, 11:48:10 AM »
"Happy" metal?  I'm so in.  Been waiting for this ....

*clicks play*

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #369 on: July 09, 2014, 11:51:18 AM »
Awesome album! I needed a while to really get it, and it was a lower tier Devin album for me for a long time, but I have gained some appreciation for it in the last half year of so. Devin and Anneke compliment each other ridiculously well.

Will relisten today to be able to say a little more on this album.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #370 on: July 09, 2014, 12:04:35 PM »
it's funny – such an accessibly album all around, yet it opens with three songs that (i find) aren't nearly as catchy and immediately-grabbing as what follows. maybe it was too obvious to open with "Supercrush" and the lyrical 'story' needed to start with the title track; Dev mentioned previously that the end of "Demon League" has the narrator exiting to go to the club and "Addicted" takes place there, so i could see why that opening makes sense... but from that perspective, "Bender" is the danciest song on the record, so shouldn't that have opened?

either way, some of my top 10-15 DT tracks are on this beast, so i rank it highly as well: the aforementioned "Supercrush," "Numbered," and "Awake" are just epic.

also, shoutout to some of the amazing transitions on this one; those opening three tether together the way City did, and that's a beautiful way to structure an album. i also like that there's a defined 'second half' starting at "Resolve," in a sort of vinyl-inspired sequencing. (too bad Plastichead brutally fucked up the vinyl pressing.)

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #371 on: July 09, 2014, 12:20:21 PM »
Color Your World has TWO within like a minute of music (Sooner or later the knights... from Wrong Side, and Who's the weakest now? from Voices in the Fan).

Don't forget the Info Dump reference at the end.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #372 on: July 09, 2014, 12:29:27 PM »
Addicted is definitely the party album of the DTP!

I love it, it's my second favourite behind Terria.

This sums it up for me, too.  Definitely my 2nd favorite Devin record, and probably the one I listen to the most, cause it's such a fun, easy listen, while Terria is more of an event, if that makes sense.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #373 on: July 09, 2014, 01:15:33 PM »
Makes complete sense, that's how I feel as well. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #374 on: July 09, 2014, 01:27:06 PM »
On first listen, I totally get Nel's comments on it being a little samey.  Multi-tasking with work, I wasn't able to give it full attention, so some of the listening experience became a blur.  Anneke's moments were wonderful and ear-catching though.  Despite that, it slayed Ki (for my tastes), and is definitely another purchase-worthy album.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2014, 01:44:52 PM »
I'm at Supercrash right now. I'm blown away  :o
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Onno

« Reply #376 on: July 10, 2014, 07:49:54 AM »
Color Your World has TWO within like a minute of music (Sooner or later the knights... from Wrong Side, and Who's the weakest now? from Voices in the Fan).

Don't forget the Info Dump reference at the end.
Yes! Those references are great!

Addicted is amazing. I do think the last half of the album is not as good as the first though. Especially Numbered! is not one of my favourite Devin songs.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #377 on: July 10, 2014, 09:11:50 AM »
Numbered! is the best song on Addicted, but you know it's okay we can't always be right.  ;D

Offline Onno

« Reply #378 on: July 10, 2014, 09:39:47 AM »
But we tried  :biggrin:

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #379 on: July 11, 2014, 06:14:41 AM »
My favourite Devin album

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #380 on: July 11, 2014, 10:51:18 AM »
I'm afraid of how this thread is going to react to Deconstruction

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #381 on: July 11, 2014, 10:59:58 AM »
Numbered! Is the best song, while Universe In A Ball is the least...

But we can't forget the awesome Ih-Ah!, I prefer the album version to the stripped live version,  although The Retinal Circus version is great, guess he snapped it needs that keyboard, that's what gives the song its charm.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #382 on: July 11, 2014, 11:29:26 AM »
Numbered! Is the best song, while Universe In A Ball is the least...

We can never be friends.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #383 on: July 11, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
Universe In A Ball is the least [-best song]

you like it more than "Resolve?" that's the only one i can't really get behind. it fits well on Epicloud, though.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #384 on: July 11, 2014, 02:20:50 PM »
Universe In A Ball is the least [-best song]

you like it more than "Resolve?" that's the only one i can't really get behind. it fits well on Epicloud, though.

I like it less than Resolve!  UIAB is my least favorite, or least best.