Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 51998 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. You are the rainbow
« Reply #280 on: June 20, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »
let me remind you that Epicloud is #42 on my top 50, Addicted is #8, and no other Dev albums are on my list even though I like them a lot.  Those two are both DTP.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. You are the rainbow
« Reply #281 on: June 22, 2014, 05:04:05 AM »
Lost track of this a bit.  I have Synchestra and will try and have a listen tomorrow.

On another note, I was out purchasing the new Mastodon when I saw a copy of Ocean Machine sitting in the DT section.  It was pricy, but you have to pay for quality, so I picked it up so I have a physical copy of the cd.  Thread mission accomplished.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. And the greys flood our memories
« Reply #282 on: June 22, 2014, 09:33:37 AM »

Ziltoid is a very important album in the chronology of Devin Townsend. One could argue that it is perhaps THE most important. There’s so much to talk about here that I barely know where to begin. So, let’s start with the background. Devin’s wife, Tracy, had just given birth to their son, leading Devin to desire some time away from touring to spend with his family. During this time, Devin decided to make a true “solo” album, more or less to prove that he could do it. On Ziltoid, Devin did damn near everything, singing nearly all vocals, playing guitar and bass, and programming drums and synths. As a fellow musician, it absolutely blows my mind how well Ziltoid works as a complete product of one brilliant, deranged mind.

Musically, we’re looking at some pretty standard Devin writing. Ziltoid is probably the second closest to SYL behind Physicist. Indeed, Ziltoidia Attaxx! and parts of Color Your World are some of the heaviest songs not credited with the SYL moniker. To mix with the heavier bits, we’ve got plenty of ambient moments. The best songs on Ziltoid work by combining the two musical ideologies in an ebb and flow that leads to some downright monumental climaxes. By Your Command, Solar Winds, and the aforementioned Color Your World peak and valley constantly, each ending with a downright crushing blow. Another musical trick that has been consistently used since its inception here is the off-beat “smashing” rhythms often associated with SYL. Planet Smasher is full of them, and they become much more rampant in the DTP.

Lyrically, Devin has gotten a bit silly in the past with songs like Ants and Vampolka, but this albums is on a whole new level of goofy. It’s not as shocking considering Devin’s first real solo album was a pop-punk satire, but I’d imagine it to be a little jarring to someone unfamiliar with Devin’s body of work. Again, it’s not like Devin’s sense of humor has been lacking in his previous efforts, it’s just much more deliberate and profound here. With the exception of Hyperdrive and The Greys, each song has at least one moment worthy of at least a chuckle. Since the story is a little confusing, and people may be easily confused, I give you: Ziltoid, the Sparknotes version.

ZTO: Ziltoid is an alien. He comes to Earth searching for the “ultimate cup of coffee.”

By Your Command: The humans deliver the coffee. Ziltoid finds it “fetid.” He prepares to attack Earth.

Ziltoidia Attaxx: Self-explanatory. Earth gets messed up pretty good.

Solar Winds: Captain Spectacular is some sort of interdimensional superhero figure. He sets out to expose Ziltoid as a nerd with the remaining few humans that haven’t been killed.

Hyperdrive: Captain Spectacular and the humans deftly avoid Ziltoid’s attack and jump into Hyperdrive to evade him. Some unknown entity sings a song about volatile relationships.

N9: Ziltoid and Captain Spectacular’s crew reach some sort of all-knowing hivemind that tells Ziltoid that he sucks and should stop being a moron.

Planet Smasher: Ziltoid is all bummed about being a moron, so he decides to destroy a planet by summoning yet another interdimensional being designed for that specific purpose. The Planet Smasher calls Ziltoid a foul pest.

Omnidimensional Creator: Ziltoid, dejected after being told off by 2 high-ranking universal beings, goes to the head of all the universe to find out his purpose in life.

Color Your World: Ziltoid begs and pleads to understand his existence. The OC abides him and tells him the truth. Ziltoid, along with everything else in the universe, is merely a puppet.

The Greys: Ziltoid gets all bummed out again and sings a song about how life kind of blows.

Tall Latte: The story turns out to be a dream of a coffee-shop worker.

Right, so obviously this is a goofy, disjointed story that seems like it has very little to do with anything. However, knowing what happened directly following the release of Ziltoid makes things very clear. There’s an almost Freudian level of hidden meanings in Ziltoid. Shortly after Ziltoid, Devin quit the music industry for a brief period, finding himself unsure of his identity in music, and feeling the need to stop using drugs and find out how to create without the help of mind-altering substances. This is an obvious parallel to Ziltoid’s plight. Ziltoid spends the whole album merely trying to do what he thinks is his “job” in the universe. And he was constantly told to stop being an idiot and leave everyone alone. There were a great number of beings that respected Ziltoid and feared him, but the majority of anyone in the Ziltoidian universe that held any form of power were dismissive towards him.  It’s a bit of a stretch, but it could be hypothesized that this also relates to Devin’s relationship with the music industry and his fans. The fans obviously adore him, but the higher ups in the music business are likely not so kind.

With all of that baseless (more or less) speculation on the parallels between the Ziltoid story and Devin’s life out of the way, let’s get back to talking about the music. I like a lot of Ziltoid, but I feel like a lot of it is pretty meandering and heavy just for the sake of being heavy. Ziltoidia and N9 are both pretty innocuous 6/8 thrashers, while By Your Command and Color Your World might as well be the same song. Thankfully, it’s a damn good song, so it’s not unforgivable to have it twice. Hyperdrive and The Greys really shine as the only traditional songs on the album. They both have wonderful lyrics and lovely melodies. I hear a lot of complaints leveled at the drums, because literally everyone hates programmed drums for their lack of “human” feeling. Frankly, I think they work pretty well for an album that already sounds pretty robotic. Devin plays within the confines of the limitations, and they certainly don’t stick out.

The mid-section of Color Your World deserves extra attention. My god, what a beautiful section of music. The dancing arpeggios almost remind me of Deep Peace, and then the vocal melodies on top of the constant build is nothing short of amazing. It works fabulously within the context of Color Your World as well. The transition into it feels a little jarring, but the transition into the crushing outro seems perfectly natural. This section started a trend among “epic” moments in Devin’s music being accompanied by beautiful, soaring arpeggios.

Really though, for all the good music on Ziltoid, some of it seems a little uninspired. N9 does very little to hold my attention, and the whole ending of By Your Command (though the build-up is insanely cool) goes on way too long. Also, I feel like the story kind of trips over itself a lot, leaving me very confused as to what was actually going on before finally looking it up. Still, Ziltoid is an extremely impressive statement, being a true solo album.

I might leave a bit more time between this one and the DTP saga to allow people to catch up, and to mirror the time between the albums a little more accurately. Hold onto your ass folks, it’s all uphill from here.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #283 on: June 22, 2014, 10:21:03 AM »
I like Ziltoid way more now than I did the first few years after it was out, but I still consider it no better than his 8th or 9th best album (and maybe even a tad lower on some days).  It's really good, but something about it just isn't there that would make it as totally awesome as it could have been. 

The programmed drums work at times (Ziltoidia Attaxx!!!), but other times, they don't, IMO. And I have no problem with programmed (or fake) drums in general; I listen to plenty of music with programmed/fake drums.  I just think real drums would have benefited the album at certain times, but I certainly understand why he did it the way he did.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #284 on: June 22, 2014, 10:30:24 AM »
I'm with you there. It's definitely one of my lesser favorites, but that's more because the other albums are just so damn good.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #285 on: June 22, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »
Nobody would notice the drums if they weren't told.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #286 on: June 22, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
I like this one a bit better than Synchestra, but it's still low-tier Devin for me. In fact, I'd say that Synchestra/The New Black/Ziltoid is my least favorite three album run in his discography, if we're counting SYL. Thankfully, like you said, it's all uphill from here.

Anyways, back to the album. I think it starts and ends pretty damn well. By Your Command and Color Your World are easily the best songs on the album, though I don't think they're THAT similar. The Greys is a nice song, and ZTO and Ziltoidia Attaxx!!! are both goofy, fun tracks. (dat guitar solo in the latter)

The whole middle stretch of the album I barely ever listen to. Solar Winds is nice but a bit drawn-out and has too much spoken-word for my liking, Hyperdrive absolutely pales in comparison to the remake on Addicted, N9 is completely dull, and Planet Smasher is pretty catchy, but it's definitely not one of my favorites.

Overall, I really like the sound of the record, it's just that the songs themselves could be a bit better. I'm excited for Z2 though, as I'm positive it'll be better executed than this one.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #287 on: June 22, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »
Even though I love Planet Smasher (it's one of my favorites from this), I agree about the middle of the album.  I never thought a lot about Hyperdrive until it was redone on Addicted, and while the intro of N9 is bad ass with his wordless vocals providing the melody over the mayhem, the song never really goes anywhere.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #288 on: June 23, 2014, 05:21:14 AM »
Funny enough, I quite like this album. I believe this was my first introduction to Devin, and I fell in love with this absurd rock-opera. I guess it's mainly the humor I like, because normally I don't fall for such a heavy album, but I like that this album isn't taking itself too seriously. In my memory the serious moments are the most beautiful ones, and the heaviest moments are the most funny. I'll listen to this album later today.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #289 on: June 23, 2014, 06:32:13 AM »
Even though I love Planet Smasher (it's one of my favorites from this), I agree about the middle of the album.  I never thought a lot about Hyperdrive until it was redone on Addicted, and while the intro of N9 is bad ass with his wordless vocals providing the melody over the mayhem, the song never really goes anywhere.

I still don't know where songs are supposed to go...

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #290 on: June 23, 2014, 06:55:51 AM »
Ziltoid is a strange album... and I absolutely love it!

It sounds, to me, like he started out with the intention of writing a comic book album around the idea of the puppet and then got side-tracked into writing an album that was a metaphor of his musical career and consequent life within the music industry up to that point.

The meat of Solar Winds, N9, Hyperdrive and The Greys really seem to have nothing to do with the story that frames them (ignoring the Captain Spectacular intrusion in the middle of Solar Winds) and there's certainly a very wistful feel about all four that you wouldn't expect to find on an album supposedly just about a 4th dimensional alien searching for a cup of coffee. In fact, I think it's the wistful feel running through so much of the album (after Ziltoidia Attaxx!) married to the fairly aggressive, near-SYL backing tracks that I find so appealing.

Like Rush's Grace Under Pressure and Queensryche's Rage For Order it's an album that's not a million miles away from the rest of the genre, yet has a unique quality to it that means it stands alone and apart from the rest.

And some people just call it a comedy album. Pah!

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #291 on: June 23, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »
Listening now.  Will report back this afternoon
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #292 on: June 23, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »

I still don't know where songs are supposed to go...
Somewhere interesting preferrably.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #293 on: June 23, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
I am 3 songs in.  Wow, that's some seriously funky messed-up stuff.

Love it!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #294 on: June 23, 2014, 12:44:33 PM »
Nobody would notice the drums if they weren't told.

Really??  On some tracks, sure, you don't notice.  On many occasions though, the bass kicks were like machine guns.  Didn't even sound like drumming.

Ziltoid is a strange album...

Pretty much all you needed to say.  Some interesting parts, but for the most part, I just wasn't captivated.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #295 on: June 23, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
No worries for people who don't care for Ziltoid. It's the last "weak" moment of the entire thread. Everything from here on is pure gold.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: June 23, 2014, 01:26:25 PM »
love Ziltoid. the drums don't sound out of place in terms of velocity except for the real blasts ("Ziltoidia Attaxx!!"). otherwise, what actually bothers me about them is that they don't sound like Dev's production — the snare is weak and thin and buried, the kick has no meat, the toms may as well be cardboard. his drum sound is huge, and it's missing. if he re-released it with enormous drums (or Dirk/RVP drumming), i'd easily count it among his greatest achievements.

as is, though, i love every song except superboring "N9."

in particular, besides the arpeggio thing Ultimetalhead mentioned, this record begins the egregious use of crossfading chaotic musical sections that goes on to make such great moments in songs like "Ki."

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: June 23, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
Holy crap, Ultimetalhead, I'm so f'ing far behind. Life has conspired to screw up my enjoyment of your thread. I may end up having to listen to everything once the thread is finished and comment then. There are quite a few of these I'm pretty stoked to hear too.  :sad:
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
Ha ha, Sir, yes Sir!

"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2014, 01:33:58 PM »
Not one of my favourites at all. It's very entertaining and has some great moments, but a lot of it is just kind of there. Lots of chugga-chugga.

Listened again today for the first time in ages, opinion hasn't really changed. Probably my second bottom "normal" Devy album, ahead of Physicist.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #301 on: June 24, 2014, 04:01:04 AM »
Ah, Ziltoid. I love the album. Another one that had to grow on me a lot. My favourite tracks are definitely Color Your World and The Greys. I love the humor of the album, while the music still mostly remains kind of serious. It does contain a lot of chugga-chugga if you want to call it that, but again I see it more as a soundscape.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #302 on: June 25, 2014, 07:37:29 AM »
Not a criticism, but I think excluding SYL from this is a disservice to those wanting to experience the whole Devin spectrum.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2014, 07:39:14 AM »
Finished Ziltoid this morning.

lol

It was fun, but I'm not sure how much replay value it would have for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #304 on: June 25, 2014, 09:12:23 AM »
I like Ziltoid a lot, probably one of my favorite Devin albums. Just 'cause it's so consistent while also being great. Solar Winds especially is just, amazing, the last few minutes are one of the best moments in his discography. The silliness is here silliness I like as opposed to some of his overly silly stuff too.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #305 on: June 25, 2014, 10:25:01 AM »
Not a criticism, but I think excluding SYL from this is a disservice to those wanting to experience the whole Devin spectrum.
I agree completely. But the consensus was adding 5 albums to this thread (one of which maybe 3 people would even like) would be too much.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #306 on: June 25, 2014, 11:02:17 AM »
Finished Ziltoid this morning.

lol

It was fun, but I'm not sure how much replay value it would have for me.
Yeah, its not for me. I think when I first dipped my toe into Devin's world it was this album I sampled and it put me off.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #307 on: June 25, 2014, 11:04:27 AM »
I agree completely. But the consensus was adding 5 albums to this thread (one of which maybe 3 people would even like) would be too much.

Maybe at the very end you could briefly go over (not full write-ups or anything) the albums that were skipped over?
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #308 on: June 25, 2014, 11:26:53 AM »

Maybe at the very end you could briefly go over (not full write-ups or anything) the albums that were skipped over?
That would be cool.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #309 on: June 25, 2014, 01:21:34 PM »
Yeah, I'll probably just do that. City and Alien will probably get rather long write-ups because I love the shit out of them.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #310 on: June 26, 2014, 02:45:43 AM »
Yeah, its not for me. I think when I first dipped my toe into Devin's world it was this album I sampled and it put me off.

As much as I love ZTO, I wouldn't recommend it as a gateway to Devin's music.

Aside from that I could easily see the humour in some of the songs putting off the newcomer and it having a slightly odd marriage of pounding metal with introspective wistfulness, I feel it's best understood in the context of when it was released; best understood with the awareness that he'd not long since wound down SYL, dropped the goofy metal image, quit indulging in substances, effectively quit the industry and generally taken stock of his life and how he'd been representing himself to the world.

As interesting as his output had been up to then, the artist who came out of the other side of all that ended up being more interesting, engaging and consistently brilliant. Ziltoid was the album that summed up/reflected on, then closed the door on the first phase of his career.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #311 on: June 27, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Dammit I'm behind on this! Will relisten tonight, but just some thoughts now:

In general I agree with Justin. Parts of this album are great, but aside from... three and a half songs, every song either goes on to long or is a little boring. The highlights for me are Solar Winds and Colour Your World, which are both completely awesome. The middle section in Colour Your World is one my favourite Devin moments. Solar Winds is pure bliss, it's not exaggeratedly heavy, but it has a unique mood to it that really appeals to me.

The other one and a half songs on this album that I find myself coming back to are The Greys (AWESOME, love those guitar melodies) and Hyperdrive is kinda cool, I guess - though I prefer the Addicted version by quite a bit.

On the whole, this is not a bad album, and I definitely enjoy the humour that it brings to the table... it's just that, aside from Physicist, I'd rank this as the low point in terms of songwriting over Devin's career.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: June 28, 2014, 07:35:42 PM »
I'm purposely taking a while on the Ki write-up, because these next four albums mean a fuck ton to me and I'm determined to do it justice, but it's almost done. So, let's finish up the Ziltoid discussion and get ready to move on to Ki tomorrow.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #313 on: June 28, 2014, 07:37:59 PM »
Well, I relistened to Ziltoid yesterday, and it's mostly like I remembered, though thinking about all that meta stuff that you posted made me enjoy the album a fair bit more. The one song that I liked a whole lot more than I remembered it being was By Your Command. Yeah, the outro is on the longish side but the rest of song is pretty awesome. I'd still say that it's the weakest of the long songs (BYC, SW, CYW). Oh yeah, and N9 is and remains a snoozefest.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: June 28, 2014, 07:48:54 PM »
I totally agree about N9. Only thing it has going for it is it's the first turning point of Ziltoid realizing how insignificant he truly is, but you don't need a 6 minute compound-metric jam to deliver that bit of plot.