Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 51427 times)

Offline Lowdz

Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Just another mountain
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2014, 02:46:48 PM »
Finished listening and I really enjoyed this album. If its a grower then its likely to become something of a favourite because I found it a fairly instant hit.
This thread has already cost me for OM and now I'll have to get this.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
Sorry to backtrack, but I don't fully see all the hate for Physicist.  Is it safe to say that Devin fans aren't really SYL fans at all?

Will check this one out soon.  I've always heard good things about this one.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2014, 05:33:44 PM »
Sorry to backtrack, but I don't fully see all the hate for Physicist.  Is it safe to say that Devin fans aren't really SYL fans at all?

As a fan of both projects, in my opinion Physicist is still worse than all of the SYL albums except for Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing. The style's not bad, the execution's just subpar.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2014, 05:56:26 PM »

As a fan of both projects, in my opinion Physicist is still worse than all of the SYL albums except for Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing. The style's not bad, the execution's just subpar.

I get that.  One thing I noticed is that it sounded rushed compared to SYL's albums.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2014, 06:06:23 PM »
I specifically got into Dev's music with SYL. Very much like that type of music, I also like the atmospheric, ambient stuff; but Physicist just doesn't do it for me. As Ulti said, it sounds like an uninspired SYL album. It's just kinda...there. I don't hate it at all, but when you're sitting beside the greats, it definitely doesn't get much love.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #180 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:58 PM »

Yeah, you hit it right on the head. City, Alien and even The New Black have this intense fury to them that Physicist doesn't have at all. Kind of feels like Devy's just going through the motions. With how much of a runaway success SYL was and how comparatively little attention his solo material was getting, it seems like a pretty good idea to make the solo stuff more like SYL from a business standpoint, but as we can plainly see, Devin never made that mistake again, so it may be safe to say that Physicist is what drove Devin to only make music on his own terms.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2014, 03:13:09 AM »

I'd put Physicist ahead of The New Black, on a par with the S/T and slightly ahead of Heavy... I've always felt that Physicist's biggest problem is that it can't decide whether or not it's a SYL album or a "normal" solo album and ends up sitting somewhere in between shrugging its shoulders non-committally and not really serving the best interests of any of the material.

Victim, Death, Devoid and The Complex should've been done properly as SYL songs. Namaste too, perhaps.

I don't think Irish Maiden and Jupiter would've been out of place on AE and both would've benefited from a cleaner production.
Planet Rain is probably too up tempo and might've been better as an Infinity song.

Which leaves Kingdom and Material. Even though I was kinda annoyed at the notion of Kingdom getting re-recorded because I liked the song an awful lot as it was, I've got to admit that the version on Epicloud is preferable and I think Material would benefit from a similar approach.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2014, 05:02:48 AM »
Finished Physicist.  I liked it, but it was definitely the least of the DT albums thus far.

3 songs into Terria.  Liking thus far, and Earth Day was hilarious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2014, 06:53:15 AM »
Listening to Terria now, sounding good.

Also, just with SYL, I loved TNB.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2014, 09:47:43 AM »
I love The New Black too. Really, I love all the SYL albums and wish we could discuss them alongside the solo material (mainly because of the ties between them), alas that's way too much fucking time.

To finally tie the knot on Physicist, I think it would be awesome if it had better production, but as it stands it's permanently "branded" in my mind as a weak SYL album with an awesome closing track.  :P
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2014, 11:21:57 AM »
Since we're talking about SYL...

Alien > S/T (come at me bros) > City > The New Black > HAARHT

Alright, now back to Terria.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2014, 02:49:36 PM »
The New Black is easily my favourite. I could never get into SYL's stuff really, but TNB has a sense of fun to it and some great tunes.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »
Try City.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2014, 03:39:49 PM »
I did, and Alien. They were ok, just nothing stood out as very interesting to me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2014, 04:52:15 PM »
I heard one SYL album way back when, but didn't think much of it.  I am not a fan of that kind of crazy speed metal anyway (and when Devin tends to go that route as a solo artist, those often tend to be my least favorite tracks).

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2014, 05:07:56 PM »
I think Earth Day is one of the all time best things he's done.  Certainly that main opening riff/groove is amazing, but the other tracks on Terria are just not as interesting as much of his other stuff.  I feel like they're a less interesting version of what's on OM:B.  Having said that... I haven't listened to it quite as much as his other releases, so I'm gonna keep listening to it and see if it clicks more like a lot of people are saying.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2014, 05:41:25 AM »
Just finished Terria.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, probably my second favorite thus far (next to Ocean Machine).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
Just listened to the first 3 songs of Terria (life happened and i'll finish it later).

....im not sure I get the hype for Earth Day. Maybe itll grow on me.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #193 on: June 07, 2014, 03:41:41 PM »
....im not sure I get the hype for Earth Day. Maybe it'll grow on me.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #194 on: June 07, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
Continuing my listen through, I was largely unphased until I came to the awesome riffing of The Fluke. I fucking love that shit.
The other songs didnt bore me or turn me off, i was just mainly overwhelmed and confused and nothing was really sticking the first time. But i was kind of like that with Deconstruction the first time too. In fact, it took me an entire year to finally appreciate Planet of the Apes. So im sure Terria will click with me sooner or later.

EDIT: Stagnant is another instant favorite.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 06:55:43 PM by PROGdrummer »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #195 on: June 07, 2014, 07:00:29 PM »
Yeah, listened to this again, and I still love every second of it. Devin's best for me, and one of the few completely flawless albums that I know.

The Fluke - Nobody's Here - Tiny Tears - Stagnant might be another one in consideration for the best 30-minute stretch in music, ever. Fucking love those. Tiny Tears needed a long time to grow on me, but I love it to death now.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: June 07, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
....im not sure I get the hype for Earth Day. Maybe it'll grow on me.
It will.

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2014, 03:47:01 AM »
Just finished Terria.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, probably my second favorite thus far (next to Ocean Machine).

Yes, that. Think I'll buy both, on cd, not on the fancy vinyl rereleases. I love me some Devy while driving, I think.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2014, 10:03:27 PM »
Physicist
This was actually not as bad as I remembered it being. It still has a terrible mix and it's pretty monotonous but it does have a couple of good songs mixed in with the drek. "Namaste" is a decent opener, it has some actual energy unlike most of the rest of the album. "Materia" is pretty cool. "Kingdom" is awesome. "Jupiter" is pretty nice too. Also, I remember why "Irish Maiden" stood out so much to me before, because it's just fucking awful. Seriously one of the worst songs Devin's made. The run from "Death" to "Irish Maiden" is really, really boring and "Planet Rain" still doesn't stick out to me at all. It's 11 minutes of music that's slightly better than most of the rest of the album but not much other than that.

Terria
Wow, what a shift in quality here. We go from Devin's worst to his absolute best album. Seriously, there is very little I find wrong with this album. It sounds pretty great and pretty much every song is impeccable. Okay, I don't really like "Olives" that much, it's kind of a useless opener but it's over quickly. "The Fluke" is also kinda weak, but only weak in comparison to everything else which means it might not make my Best of Devin Townsend mix. When I first listened to this album only "Deep Peace" and "Earth Day" really stood out to me, but that's only because the second half of the album after "Canada" is so dense. When it finally clicked, wow, just some absolutely superb songs. "Nobody's Here," "Tiny Tears," and "Stagnant?" Hell yeah, what a great run of songs. "Deep Peace" and "Nobody's Here" also feature some of my favorite Devin solos. He may not solo all that much, but when he does, he tears it up and Terria is full of great solos by him. This is a great album and for those of you that aren't totally convinced of that fact, just give it time. It took a few listens to click with me and it's absolutely worth the effort.

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #199 on: June 09, 2014, 02:52:03 AM »
It took me a long time to fully appreciate Terria. In some ways, the immediacy of songs such as Earth Day, The Fluke and Stagnant made it hard for me to appreciate the rest of the songs. Now, I regard it as one of my all times favourite albums. The only thing stopping it competing for a top three slot is the opening Olives/Mountain salvo, which are just ok. After that it's gold to the end, assuming you end on Stagnant.

The downside to the album: the drums. Gene Hoglan's an absolute beast of an extreme metal drummer, arguably the best in the business, but he wasn't a great choice for Terria. Not that his drumming ruins the album, but it does come across as a bit leaden at times. After hearing Ki one wonders what Duris Maxwell would've been able to do with Terria.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: June 09, 2014, 05:32:34 AM »

Came to post this.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #201 on: June 09, 2014, 06:12:45 AM »
I know I'm bumping back an album, but being on vacation for 9 days put me behind.  Just listening to Physicist.   Like (I think) Podaar said, with all the slogging about it, my expectations were around my ankles as I was listening to this one.  I didn't find it too bad actually.  Material and Kingdom were pretty enjoyable.  I'm not a thrashy-metal kinda guy to begin with, so I skipped Death-Devoid-The Complex about 60 seconds in on each.  Was a little disappointed in Planet Rain.  Sure it's a beautiful song, but it's not really what I want or look for in Devin's music.  If I want something kinda slow and ballad-y, there are hundreds of artists I enjoy more than Devin's style.

I'm kinda worried about Terria, because even the subtle hints suggest this is going to be top notch, so I'm trying to keep my expectations in check.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #202 on: June 09, 2014, 08:07:11 AM »
you should hold your expectations in check.  I don't think it's higher than my 5th favorite album of his.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #203 on: June 09, 2014, 08:58:23 AM »
you should hold your expectations in check.  I don't think it's higher than my 5th favorite album of his.

Duly noted
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 09, 2014, 11:07:34 AM »
anybody else trying "Universal" with their Terria listens? nobody ever talks about that song!

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: June 09, 2014, 01:43:41 PM »
Same here, really. That's more of a testament to the ludicrous amount of quality albums in Devin's discography rather than an indication of Terria being subpar.

anybody else trying "Universal" with their Terria listens? nobody ever talks about that song!
I love Universal. Excellent song, but it doesn't really fit anywhere in Terria. So, I like it as what it is, a bonus track.

Edit: On a logistics note, do people need more time for Terria, or would it be okay if we moved on tomorrow or Wednesday?

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #206 on: June 09, 2014, 02:05:32 PM »
Movin on, I say!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #207 on: June 09, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »
I wouldn't mind if everybody wants to move on, but I'm still digesting Terria and a bit of Infinity.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #208 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20:35 PM »
Terria is a real good album IMO. I get why some hold it in such high regard but it's just a little samey for me at times; that is in as far as feeling, it kind of takes me somewhere and while its a very nice place it doesn't really move me anywhere else above, below or even to the side I guess. Again, basically that means I really like the album and most of the songs are really good IMO. For me though they don't hold up to my favorites by Devin for some reason (as confusing as all that might sound).

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Will you save me?
« Reply #209 on: June 11, 2014, 06:21:56 AM »

Terria, the beautiful behemoth that it is, was a runaway success for Devin. Less than two years later, there was another major shift in his career. In a shocking development, Strapping Young Lad was reunited for a third album, and a band for Devin’s solo material was crafted. The aptly named "The Devin Townsend Band," served as the vehicle for Devin’s more forward-thinking, progressive metal output, while SYL was the receptacle for the really vicious stuff. Accelerated Evolution came out in 2003, and is by far the most rock-oriented release of Devin's so far. There’s hooks absolutely fucking EVERYWHERE, and very little harsh vocals. It’s quite catchy, and more immediately accessible than any of his previous work. I’ve said before that Devin on OM, Terria, and Infinity could be seen as more of a classical composer using distorted guitar as the main focus, but on this album we get a glimpse of Devin Townsend as a real songwriter.

In the bonus track (I Really Love Korea), Devin states that AE was made to be the counterpoint to the self-titled SYL album. While there aren’t a ton of parallels between the two albums (the next pair would have a shit ton), it makes sense. Most of the songs on AE are rather positive-sounding, in direct contrast to the anger on SYL. Even the darker songs are more slow dirges instead of the speed-driven metal songs. The opener, Depth Charge, sets the mood very nicely with a powerful, driving guitar riff and pounding drums. Already, we get a different atmosphere from the clean vocals getting the most “screen time.” When the few growls show up on this album, they’re downright shocking, adding a ton of emphasis to the mostly innocuous vocal lines. The best examples of the vocal prowess can be found at the climaxes of Storm and Deadhead. Deadhead in particular is one of the most incredible songs I’ve ever heard in my life. The emotion pouring out of that song is just amazing.

The lyrical subject matter has a lot to do with relationships. The aforementioned Storm and Deadhead, along with Traveler, Sunday Afternoon, and Slow Me Down all deal directly with romantic involvement. The others deal with either alienation (Random Analysis, Depth Charge), or career trouble (Suicide, Away [kind of]). Instantly, I feel like we get a bit more of a relate-able context from the lyrics. Plenty of people deal with alienation, but love songs and relationship troubles are even more global. I doubt the more mainstream approach was intentional, but I really love the lyrics on this album. Since this is a more vocal centric album, it helps the lyrics stick out more.

Devin really lets it out with the guitar playing on this album too. Terria had some awesome solo moments in Deep Peace, Nobody’s Here, and Tiny Tears, but I feel like the solos in Suicide and Away destroy all three of them. Away, in particular, is pretty much non-stop guitar melodies. It’s absolutely beautiful, and Devin has said a few times that Away is his favorite track from AE. I certainly get why. On an album so vocally focused, the borderline instrumental song ends up carrying the most emotional weight. It might seem meandering and boring to some, but I never get tired of it.

Another goal with the DTB was to give more screentime to the rest of the people cooperating with Devin on his solo albums. Other musicians on the earlier albums were never thought of as more than session musicians, because they hardly ever toured. Typically, tours would consist of a set of Strapping Young Lad material, and a bit of Devin’s solo material, also played by the SYL guys. Having a separate band made touring much more sensible, since the band had presumably worked on the songs with Devin himself, and weren’t learning them later like SYL probably was. Granted, this album (and the next one) is 100% The Devin Townsend Show featuring some dudes you probably don’t really care about, so it’s certainly a question whether or not the move to start a full-time “band” was a success or not. I will say, the drum sound on this album is awesome. While the usual complaints of no cymbals and “god why is this triggered to hell” will still ring true from the detractors, the snare on this album has a LOT of punch, and I think it fits the overall tone of the album quite well. The drum intro to Traveler is probably the most impressive drum moment on any of Devin’s solo albums, and that’s saying something considering Gene Hoglan played on a lot of them.

This album kind of stands out as a bit of a black sheep among Devin’s discography. Most of Devin’s solo material (so far at least) was extremely dense, and would only reveal itself to the most dedicated listeners. Accelerated Evolution almost seems like an attempt to bring a more accessible flavor to the mix. All of the songs are pretty immediate with their hooks and more simplified song structure, but they still get better with age merely because they’re fantastic songs. So, I wouldn’t advise one to go into this album expecting a long, existential, spiritual trip into one’s own psyche. Honestly, I think AE lost a lot of its impact on me, because I kind of went backwards through Devin’s discography. By the time I heard AE, I had already heard Addicted, and this album didn’t seem nearly as good to me. Of course, it grew on me, and in context now it’s easily one of my favorites. Out of all of Devin’s albums so far, this is the most simplified, “collection of songs” adventure, rather than a concept album.

Fret not, concept fans. You’ll have your day again very shortly. For now, enjoy the catchy sounds of Accelerated Evolution.