Author Topic: Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. 'Cause there is always time...  (Read 51990 times)

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Follow the way
« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2014, 04:25:18 PM »
welp, it took 11 years, but now i like Physicist. back to the drawing board...  :rollin

(i think it's because Epicloud prepared me for it. no shit, Dev is a time traveller.)

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Follow the way (Infinity)
« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2014, 12:05:43 AM »
Since I missed it before I want to mention I really like Infinity it took a while to come around to the weirdness of it on the whole but once I came to understand Devin more it just really made a lot of sense.

"Noisy Pink Bubbles" is a favorite of mine just for its uniqueness even amongst Devin's catalog. Get past the slightly strange beginning (I enjoy the different vocals he uses just to get a taste of what he can do in a different style) and you come to some simple but absolutely magical Townsend moments IMO.

"You never can tell by the face
When they're starting to go...
You never can tell by his face
he was starting to go..."

*Swoon*

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 12:56:10 AM by WebRaider »

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Follow the way (Physicist)
« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2014, 12:55:03 AM »
On to Physicist.... Clearly the mix is horrid and over the long haul kind of ruins the experience of the album (along with some monotonous moments in the album). I think one of the good things is that the majority of the songs aren't too long.  There was just something about it that kept calling me back to it even with everyone saying how bad it was. I was a huge fan of "Kingdom" right away even in its original form and would often listen to it over and over... just the power of that song. Whoa!

I like "Namaste", "Kingdom", "Irish Maiden", and  "Planet Rain"  the most but also enjoy "Victim", "Material", and "Jupiter" behind them. So there's seven songs that are fair to very good for me here and this is probably near the bottom of the standard albums of Devin's discography for me.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2014, 02:02:24 AM »
I don't think I really dislike any song on Physicist, but the mix and production are very bad, and there are a few songs on it that just aren't interesting to me.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2014, 06:20:52 AM »
A bit late, but I just had a listen to Infinity.  To be honest, it didn't really do anything for me.  I never cared for Devin's more comical style of music.  OM is lightyears better.

Will pull out my Physicist cd tomorrow.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2014, 06:24:00 PM »
Alrighty. Since the Physicist discussion is pretty much over and done with, we'll be moving on with Terria tomorrow.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2014, 06:50:43 PM »
Alrighty. Since the Physicist discussion is pretty much over and done with, we'll be moving on with Terria tomorrow.

Shit, I can't keep up, will listen to Physicist tonight and post my thoughts.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2014, 07:26:04 PM »
Physicist?

More like Physi-SHIT

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: June 04, 2014, 04:42:49 AM »
I'll try to hit Physicist today.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #149 on: June 04, 2014, 01:57:53 PM »
And then Cooked on Phonics right?

Right?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Sadly, Cooked on Phonics isn't part of the canon, and it's a little bit too not-Devy to include in this thread. I fucking love that album though.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »
I have relistened to Physicist again since my last post, and now have zero incentive to ever acknowledge its existence again. It's just thoroughly unpleasant to listen to.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
Didn't listen to Physicist last night, definitely will tonight though.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2014, 06:33:56 AM »
Didn't listen to Physicist last night, definitely will tonight though.

Just had a listen.  So, this is basically a SYL album so to speak.  Not a fan of the mix, but I like the style.  Much much better than Infinity, but I think I'd take OM over it.  Gotta pick that one up.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2014, 07:05:18 AM »
Sadly, Cooked on Phonics isn't part of the canon, and it's a little bit too not-Devy to include in this thread. I fucking love that album though.

You're fired, metal guy.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2014, 07:34:30 AM »

You're fired, metal guy.
Well, played.  :lol

Update coming shortly.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Devin Townsend Discography v. Just another mountain
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2014, 07:42:22 AM »

After understandably lukewarm reception to 2000’s Physicist, and feeling like he “alienated a bunch of fans,” Devin got straight to work on a follow-up that would undo any damage created by his last experiment. Conceived mostly while on a road trip across Canada, Terria has a much more personal touch to it, much like what we experienced on OM and Infinity. Devin not being afraid of writing about his feelings or topics that are important to him is probably the most quintessential property of his music. The title, “Terria” immediately generates an image of perhaps a lush countryside or towering mountains, you know, earthy shit. Much like Ocean Machine’s production gives it the sound of the ocean, Terria’s production very much gives it the sound of the earth. It’s jagged and loud, but at the same time it has a gentle, calming atmosphere. It’s peculiar, and like OM, can be slightly off-putting at first. This album took me a long time to get into because, again, there’s just so much to take in.

Right off the bat, the strange intro of Olives sets up a more conceptual feeling than any of Devin’s previous offerings (including the original mix of Infinity). Starting with odd voices and strange sounds, it eventually builds into the crushing Mountain. With its angular guitar riffing and layered vocals, Mountain had me hooked pretty much instantly, and by the time the clean interlude comes in, it’s clear that we’re dealing with something much more mature and profound than Infinity.

Earth Day. Good fucking god. If you’ve ever had a conversation with a Devin fan, this song has come up multiple times, I’m sure. Regardless of people who e-mail Devin personally outright DEMANDING that the song be played at live shows, this song fucking owns. In a way, it’s kind of like a condensed version of the entire album. Every style that Terria touches on is represented in Earth Day at least a little bit. The iconic screams of “RECYCLLLLLLLLLE” are humorous without being cheesy, and the song is structured perfectly. I could probably write an entire college class on why Earth Day is a perfect progressive metal song, but I’ll try to give the rest of the album the credit that it very much deserves.

Another fan favorite, Deep Peace immediately follows. The mid-section of this song, with its sweeping guitar solo and gradual build of keyboards and more aggressive drums, is a fantastic section of music, segueing back into the beginning motif seamlessly. Canada goes through an interesting progression as a song, with the first and only truly abrupt transition  on the entire disc occurring about 2 minutes in. It doesn’t detract from the album at all, but on an album so lauded for its flow, it seemed odd to throw such a wild curveball before getting right back into the meat of the song. Thankfully, it quickly jumps into the most “fist-raising, lighter-waving” section on the album. Down and Under is a lovely, folksy tune that breaks up the chaos flawlessly.

The trifecta of The Fluke, Nobody’s Here, and Tiny Tears is where I tended to fall off in my first attempted listens of this album. The layers can get extremely exhausting, and all three of these songs have a tendency to meander a bit. The Fluke is more of an upbeat song with a lot of rhythmic intricacies, and Nobody’s Here takes the power ballad route. Tiny Tears is a lovely song in its own right, but it’s a MASSIVE grower and at 9 minutes it can be quite hard to sit through. Fortunately, Stagnant rights the course with a triumphant ending that ties the album together very well.

Even though it can be hard to sit through because of the ridiculous amount of layers and how much ground it covers, Terria works best as the cohesive whole it is. While it’s a daunting listen, the ending leaves me with so much comfort. A lot of the lyrical themes on the album deal with depressing subjects (not belonging, hurting the ones you love, dying pets, etc.), but it ends with the ode to life from Stagnant and it feels like everything’s okay. It can be a very powerful experience if you let it. Terria is one of those albums that I can listen to in the worst mood of my life and come away smiling like a lunatic.

The ship has righted its course. Welcome back to some of the best music you will hear in your life.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »
Nice write up man. Thanks for doing this thread, I've never really gotten into Devin before so I'm trying to keep up with listening to everything as you are going through it! I finished OM and Infinity, enjoyed both albums a lot.  Probably liked OM more than Infinity. 

I planned to listen to Physicist today despite the things said about the album here, I want to get the whole picture, good and bad! And it sound like I'll have a good treat after I finish listening to Physicist, I'll have Terria to look forward to!  :tup

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2014, 09:52:31 AM »
Either Terria or [REDACTED] is the Devin album I've listened to the most, and certainly for good reason. I really just love everything about this album. I don't even know if I'd be able to say anything interesting about it. Uh. Deep Peace is my favorite on the album, Stagnant a close second... every song is great though really.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
Terria, the one essential Devin album I don't have. I have to remedy that soon.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2014, 10:20:27 AM »
Great writeup man. Terria is one of my favourite Devin albums. It's really insanely good. The prime example of Devin's 'soundscapes that happen to use heavy distorted guitars' style mentioned before. One last thing: out of all Devin albums, this one is the one that needs to grow the most IMO.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2014, 10:49:27 AM »
Awesome write-up, nothing much more to add to that except that, weirdly enough, I was hooked on this album from the get-go and it captivated me from beginning to end. After my 'metal is everything' days passed and my musical taste expanded dramatically, I found I enjoyed the ambient, atmospheric side of music a lot more. This is an absolute perfect balance of both worlds.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »
I honestly find this one to be a bit overrated. It's a great album, don't get me wrong, but it's not one of my favorites by him.

My favorite songs would definitely be Deep Peace and Canada. Earth Day is a great song, but I can't say I understand all the "best Devin song EVAR" praise it gets all the time. Stagnant is another great one and a perfect way to end the album.

Overall, I think the album has a good flow, a unique atmosphere, and a good production except for the weird-sounding drums. So yeah, it's a great record. I just think he has a handfull of even better ones.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »
Terria is together with Ocean Machine his best solo album IMO.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2014, 11:56:17 AM »
Olives and Down & Under are two of my highlights, and two of the most underrated tracks in Dev's discography. they open each side of the record with vigor and depth; prog enough to be weird, but obvious and catchy enough to warrant listening, and they don't overstay their welcome. though Olives can be a bit testy if you're not listening to the intro in headphones, it's the perfect opener and i can't imagine Terria beginning any other way...

... besides switching Mountain and Earth Day. i know there's a reason they flow that way, something un-obvious about storytelling in Dev's mind, but the whole thing flows better imo if you swap them. the end of Mountain creates a much better segue into the bird sounds of Deep Peace. i dunno. it must be the statement ("it's just another mountain").

Canada literally sounds like this country. it's every bit as enormous and pays homage to the crappy 'traditional music' of the West (but we all know Dev does country better than country artists, right?). i wonder about the sudden break myself, but it's really cool that it refers back to Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing by using a slowed-down recording of kiddy Devy talking.

the end of the album is definitely heavy, emotionally speaking. i like that The Fluke has an intermission at the end but it does get tedious; otherwise, i think the 'meandering' aspect of Nobody's Here and Tiny Tears are well suited to the sense of space the whole record evokes. Earth Day has tons of meandering too, it's just that most of the meandering is uptempo and has words. Deep Peace is probably the most meandering track on it and it's considered a classic. i really love the bridge into the coda of Tiny Tears, where it comes down to Gene the Machine holding the beat while Dev wanders through the open plains in his solo. and the end is just beyond epic.

sometimes i wish Universal were included on the main disc, but it doesn't fit so well, so i understand why it was on the bonus disc. great song, though! (it's not the bonus track on the first disc, that's called Humble; somebody a long time ago mistagged it in the CD info databases so iTunes and the like don't name it properly most of the time.)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2014, 12:00:11 PM »
i wonder about the sudden break myself, but it's really cool that it refers back to Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing by using a slowed-down recording of kiddy Devy talking.

I've always wondered what that was. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »
Earth Day does not feel like a 9+ minute song. It's so tight and dense It only seems like 5 minutes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2014, 12:24:55 PM »
Terria was in my all-time top 10 when I did my top 50 albums thread a while back.  That says it all.  A magnificent record on every level. 

And for new listeners, it can be a grower.  I was iffy on some of it the first few times through, but just gut it out and it won't take long for its greatness to swallow you whole! :metal

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2014, 12:29:58 PM »
Same here, Bro.

"Wait what? I'm out."

5 months later...

"I WANNA FEEL LIKE THIS FOR A YEAR!"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2014, 12:55:20 PM »
I don't know if my expectations are more aligned with Devin now or if this album is so much better? Maybe some of both. Terria sounds great to me after one listen. I'm going to go ahead and listen again but if it just gets better as Kev mentions it will go onto my order list along with Ocean Machine.

:tup
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Listeniing to Terria now. By god its a corker so far. Earth Day was great and the solo in Deep peace  is beautiful, but so is the song.

:metal :hefdaddy

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
i wonder about the sudden break myself, but it's really cool that it refers back to Heavy as a Really Heavy Thing by using a slowed-down recording of kiddy Devy talking.
Whoa. Chalk it up folks, that is the first fun fact that I was unaware of in this thread. Nice! I can totally hear it now, but that never even entered into my mind that it could be Kid Dev.

Loving the Terria love in this thread right now. So many docile minds experiencing its glory for the first time.  :heart

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2014, 02:24:00 PM »
Terria remains my favourite Devy album, can't imagine he'll ever top it. SO GREAT!

Physicist, on the other hand, I can't stand.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2014, 02:24:48 PM »
Terria is my favourite Devin Townsend album and my second favourite album of all time.  There is not a weak track to be found on this album, and listening through the album is one of the best musical experiences I know. Deep Peace, Stagnant, Nobody's Here and Tiny Tears are all Top 10 Devin songs for me, with Deep Peace being an all-time Top 10 song. DAT SOLO [:hefdaddy]infinity.

More thoughts will follow when I'll be listening to it tonight.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline adace

« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
Terria is amazing. Gotta re-listen to it soon.