Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231581 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Tecmo represent! Also, I should play this game since I've owned the whole trilogy for months now and have yet to touch them.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Cable

13) Tecmo Super Bowl {1991}

Ah, my guy. Boy do I love playing as the PHI Eagles during a season. Randall Cunningham, er QB Eagles, I am so thankful for your 1990 year. Of course, people had many other favorites. Bo Jackson of course. But some more deeper cuts like David Fulcher, Wayne Haddix, Dennis Byrd (at wrong position due to forced 3-4 defense), Christian Okoye and so on.

I got into a debate about this on a message board before, but I know for a fact this happens. After about 6-8 games into a season, the AI gets ridiculously harder. I can drop 70-0 and 63-7 games no problem, and throw for 8 touchdowns. But then the defense gets insane, and those games are much closer. I have had to play at least complete 15 seasons of this game and counting. My only lament is I didn’t grow up with this game. Bases Loaded was my primary sports experience.

This game also has a bit of a subculture now. Tecmo Madison is a famous yearly tournament. There are other matches here and there. I don't think I’ll ever go that far with it, although I have a winning record against people I have played. It is very fascinating playing a HUM vs HUM game, as scores are much closer, and defence is much tighter. People overall are insane skill wise who play it competitively. People even have jerseys created from players who were in the game. I cannot say I will go that far, although I do own a QB Eagles shirt as nerd/dork/loser culture seems to be in now!

https://www.tecmomadison.com

To conclude, initially this game was hard for me to play coming from Tecmo Bowl, as those players are larger. But very quickly, I adjusted. And the many more options more than made up for it. I can also thank Tecmo Bowl/Super Tecmo Bowl for teaching me American Football. It was the last of the main five sports that I didn’t understand. Now it is my favorite sport.

***Ah, the movie The Wizard was a great 100 minute commercial for this game***
---

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yes! More love for BioShock Infinite!

Offline Cable

12) Super Mario Bros. 3 {1990}

What else can be said about this game? I do not think many if at all had it in their lists? I remember Super Mario World, but not this one. I could be wrong.

A bit of nostalgia exists for me and SMB3. My brother and I received it as a gift, but we were both being punished for some reason and the game sat on top of the fridge for about a week. When we got into it finally, it was awesome.

SMB1 has a bit of a challenge for me to this day. SMB3 did and didn’t. Going through, collecting the power-ups/suits, and having 1ups decreased the skill needed. When I play it now, I will ignore some of these at times to increase the challenge of the game.

The game was an awesomely released full successor to SMB1. A much bigger game, expanded music, expanded abilities, and expanded bosses and secrets. I think this game really started the Mario charm so to speak. In the US, they created a TV show about it. Obviously hype was huge with a movie being basically made about it.

But it created that wholesome so to speak image of Mario to me. Outside of its influence, SMB1 was limited, and kind of bland at times looking back. SMB3 was vibrant and colourful.

Playing this game not too long ago, I decided the Hammer Bros. suit > Tanooki Suit. Hammer Bros suit can block fireballs, and it’s hammers can destroy many things that are not possible without it. Also, Bowser can be destroyed with hammers which was quite awesome.

***The finest RPG on the NES, the 4th in a series named Quest***
---

• DT.net Member
Bravo. Bravo! Motherfucking BRA...VO!!!

I adore this game to this day and even own 4 versions of it (NES, Allstars, NES version on Wii U virtual console, and the virtual console version of the Super Mario Advance one on Gameboy Advance.) It's a crime they've never remotely tried to make powerups as awesome as these in any Mario game since then. The concept of themed worlds was a huge part of helping this game become as iconic as it is. The music is so well done too. The athletic theme is so happy it's like an audio hug and the castle theme was the last instance of a Mario game having truly haunting castle motifs (shit, SMW's castles are mostly light colors ffs.)

Bottom line? This game is the most brilliant example of what made the NES great. Awesomely involved games you and a friend or sibling would simply melt into for hours at a time on weekend or holiday late nights while shoveling delicious junk food down your gullets.

Unquestionable top 5 all time game for me.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Agreed with all of the above except for the last sentence. For my gaming history, the impact of SMW, and then SM64 had more impact. Probably because those were systems I got on board with at launch, whereas with SMB3 I had a lot of NES gaming under my belt already, and while SMB3 is certainly the pinnacle of NES gaming experience, SMW and SM64 had more of a lasting impact on me.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
YES

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
What else can be said about this game? I do not think many if at all had it in their lists? I remember Super Mario World, but not this one. I could be wrong.

I'm sure other people have had it in their list, at least as many had SMW (because I'm on SMW's side :lol ).

Great game, best Mario on the NES, although I think I'll always prefer the original game for various reasons.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

I'm sure other people have had it in their list, at least as many had SMW (because I'm on SMW's side :lol ).

Great game, best Mario on the NES, although I think I'll always prefer the original game for various reasons.

Was #7 on my list.  LOVED this game, my favorite of the NES, but I personally liked SM64 the best. 

Offline Cable

11) Dragon Warrior/Quest IV {1992}

This game is still owned between me and my brother. It is a mildly rare game now, fetching a used price that is close to inflation. But we bought it back when it came out.

Dragon Quest is kind of a forgotten about franchise, or at least not as big as other JRPGs. Shoot, Nintendo Power gave away the first game for free. I am pretty sure that is how we got into the franchise. This game series however in Japan is mammoth.

So in DQ4, you get another party of four eventually. No change in the battle screen. The story was pretty solid for DQ, and in my opinion probably the best of the NES RPGs. You have five chapters, and do not unify as a party with the Hero until the 5th chapter. As such, we learn about the other characters of your party in the chapters. This is quite unique, and also a big deal back then.

The battle system was tweaked in the 5th chapter, in that you could not directly control your party’s action. Rather, you gave them a command of the style or theme to follow for their actions. So that added a twist, for better or for worse. This was apparently changed in the remakes, but I cannot verify as I have not gotten far in the iOS version yet.

Overall, it was just a fleshed out, full game.

***The King of speed-run games. Kill the animals after Mother Brain!***
---

Offline Cable

10) Super Metroid {1994}

-Music post- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2102142#msg2102142

My biggest regret with this game is I did not play in when it was released. I had a SNES, was aware of the game, but just did not go after it.

So as a fan of Super Castlevania IV, and playing Link to the Past, this game was a perfect combination of the two when I finally played it. Again, not fully understanding this Metroidvania concept, the game already had these elements.

This game is probably close to being perfect as a game can be. Even though the speed runners have optimized the game, it not really has been a result of glitching. More so, just raw skill. This game seems to have basically been the one that started the Speedrun subculture.

So game wise, the things established in Metroid are here. Suit upgrades being needed to basically advance. Multiple areas, with unique appearances are fauna to them. Ridley and Kraid return, along with Mother Brain. It tells the story established in Metroid and Metroid II well. Also, it had the very welcome feature of a map, but was still limited in that it didn’t show all secrets. It had a wonderful menu, in that you could switch options for Samus’ beams. It continued the process of saving from of Metroid II.

It just is a solid game, top to bottom. And a top game IMO of the platforming genre.

***The Jaquio***
---

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice update :tup

I've never played or heard of Dragon Warrior and I've never played Super Metroid.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
My biggest regret with this game is I did not play in when it was released. I had a SNES, was aware of the game, but just did not go after it.

Same here. I didn't have Metroid when I had my NES, though I recall playing it at friends' houses. And didn't have SM when I had my SNES, and don't recall ever playing it, until a couple years ago. And as I never had any handhelds, my first real Metroid experience was Prime, of all things. Not that anyone cares... but great game, along with ALttP, a generation-defining game, and one that will be played and appreciated for many years.

Offline Cable

9) Ninja Gaiden {1989}

-Music post- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2104436#msg2104436

This game sucks.This was my Holy Grail of challenges, which I finally met as an adult. I do feel like I cheated the game though; I practiced the final three bosses on an emulator. I reckon back in the day, I would have videotaped myself if I was able to think like an adult back then. The only games that really exceed this in difficulty are its sequels IMO.

Despite the increasing difficulty throughout the game, to an absolute killer at the end, the ride up to that point is wonderful. The cinematic cutscenes are unique to the world of games at that point. Whether you like the story of not, it is executed brilliantly. Which was also a rarity back in this day- only RPGs could claim that. I feel the translation was perfect too, as I do not recall glaring issues. There are twists, and it all makes sense.

A recap of the music post- it is quite possibly one of the most missed parts of this game. It is wonderful from start to finish, and at times fits the moods of the stage/scenes perfectly. To me, there is not a bad track.

And of course, another disgusting speed run feat. I think in one of these marathons, someone did like a hitless run, and something else crazy too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrODauyuMgY

***Terrible voice acting be darned for the first time in the series. Let’s play Blitzball!***
---

Offline Cable

Same here. I didn't have Metroid when I had my NES, though I recall playing it at friends' houses. And didn't have SM when I had my SNES, and don't recall ever playing it, until a couple years ago. And as I never had any handhelds, my first real Metroid experience was Prime, of all things. Not that anyone cares... but great game, along with ALttP, a generation-defining game, and one that will be played and appreciated for many years.

Prime recently I have seen got a little criticism due to story line up issues or something. But that game is considered top notch, and if not #1 for many, it is #2 Metroid for many. I have only played Prime3, but I for sure loved the heck out of the solid transition of the game into mostly FPS.
---

Offline Cable

8) Final Fantasy X {2001}

Alrighty. To start, this is the first of only two (I think) games to make me emotional to the point of tears. So I will be darned if the voice acting was atrocious (it was), the music is a real odd mixed bag (it is), and one of the villains are not too solid (it is not). I could do without the Sphere Grid system I think it was called. I really would like more than three people in my party too.

The emotions and search for answers really set this apart for me. This is the first Final Fantasy that had it for me. Maybe blame it on translations, or me being not in touch with the theme and characters of the game. As much as I disliked my FF8 experience overall, I have to say Squall might be one of the most complex characters. In this game, I felt something for all of the characters, and they really stood out from each other. They each had distinct personalties, something that was there in the other games. But this one was fully realized. I do admit that a lot of the medium (PS2) aided this probably, where the PS1 games were limited.

TINY SPOILER!

[/TINY SPOILER!]

I actually do not mind the voice acting, and think there is far worse out there. Tidus exudes enthusiasm. So as annoying as people have rightfully called him, he fits the mission of the game, and being a unique character amongst the others.

Blitzball in my opinion is by far the best FF mini game out of the FF’s I have played (1,4,6-10) all the way through. It had a little bit of luck, but mostly it was skill based and level/stats. This is stark contrast to the FF8, and whatever the other ones had. I only remember FF8’s Triple Triad because I wasted many hours reseting the system to win cards I wanted, due to the luck factor. Blitzball was fun, like an actual sport, and would be a very good mobile game or something on its own.

So to me, this game isn’t the best in the series at anything outside of Blitzball IMO. But it is a sum of the parts, and the fact that it resonated with me really well is why I adore this game over other franchise darlings (6 and 7).

***For Artanis***
---

Offline Cable

What the crap, I wrote a lot on this one.

7) Starcraft II: Wings Of Liberty (WoL), Heart of the Swarm (HotS), and why not- Legacy Of The Void! (LotV) {2010,2013,2015}

Re-packaged Starcraft I it may be, this game did not disappoint for me. Starcraft1 very easily could actually be on this list, or at this ranking. It could be above SC2. I placed A LOT of mileage on SC1, both with the campaigns, and CO-OP Multiplayer with my brother. It is a revolutionary game, in that it took the RTS genre to new heights. I could debate that the game was even more important than World Of Warcraft, and very well could be the most popular global multi-player game of all time. Look no further than Korea, and that is what is shaping my opinion. So what did SC1 also do? The MOBA genre is huge apparently now, and is a successor of what Blizzard did with SC1, and by extension WOW in my view.

So then SC2. SC2 was like the bigger, badder in a good way sequel. Although this is debated, it keeps that insane balance between the three races. What works for one race strategy wise might not work for the other race. One race requires extreme attention to detail and rewards speed. Yet one race is really no better than the other all in all, although we all have our preferences (Protoss!). To me, SC1 and SC2 is like Terminator and Terminator 2. Apparently people love Terminator, and it did some cool stuff. Terminator 2 was the fully realized, fully spruced up awesome sequel that just nailed it on all fronts. While maintaining the same formula and feel.

Sc2 had a solid influence from more modern games. I will admit, I have not gotten thru the campaign on LotV yet. HotS was a little spotty, but overall the RPG like elements were an awesome addition for all the games. The ability to take different paths of upgrades based on your style is nice. Also, the achievement system kept me coming back for hours and hours. From what I understand, that is no doubt a Call Of Duty influence.

The campaign missions were a step up too. Stuff like the lava mission in WoL was awesome, and others of the sort. They clearly took their time with level design, and not just on the features and terrain of the map.

The voice acting was good as well. The actors, the best they could, added emotion to a rather flat story. That isn't a knock on the story, just that one race are giant insects, and another are mouth-less monks that are not far off the Jedi to me. The story isn’t a world beater, but it hits hard at times.

Even the mini-game Lost Viking is not bad. I sunk a lot of time in that when going for achievements, and I came out thinking it was not total time wasted. At first I did not really care for it though.

Shoot, the “expansion” packs were done well. Rather than DLC all within a few months, they spaced them out to give each one time. And they are more like half a game or more, rather than some extra missions or something. If any is the weakest link at this point IMO, it’s HotS. That one took the longest of the two. Then again, Zerg is my weakest race, so I’m biased!

And so the multiplayer- awesome to me. SC2 will probably go down as the game that messed too much with the formulas of races. For me, it’s a moot point because I don’t do Player vs Player really at all. But I understand why though. The battle.net overhaul for this game made things easier IMO. It has a ladder system, with again criticism angle people think is terrible or something. It matches based on skill as well. So this is modern day stuff, but the leap from SC1 to this was done superbly. LotV has some awesome multi-player additions. They added more probes/SCVs/drones to start. They also did these cool level up multiplayer missions in scenarios. My one gripe is I wish they would have expanded that. They also have Archon mode (I think it’s called), which allows you to have two players controlling one shared race.

So all in all, this game brings it hard. It is the sequel that SC1 deserved, and fired on nearly all levels without any issue. The shame about this is that SC2 very well will be the last one probably. The RTS has shifted to MMORPGs and MOBAs. That’s not a bad thing. I just have a huge place for Starcraft. I have always loved the SciFi theme, vs. my Warcraft days.

***Grab the double-barrel shotgun for one shot kills***
---

Offline Cable

6) Doom II {1994}
Mostly related tune post - https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2095076#msg2095076

So probably the only FPS I was decent at. Once aiming was added in Quake1, I lost it! This is the last FPS on my list, so if those are your bag only you will not like my remaining list. We enter the top 5 after this, and the head-stretching will commence!

Doom1 is easily the more influential game, and overall better in most ways. All Doom2 was is repacking of Doom1, with no aesthetic updates really. Some of this will be kind of including Doom1 in my rating and discussion.

Doom was awesome, period. I played Wolfenstein 3d, even bought the 3.5 disks via mail. Doom was just so much better and cool. It brought in the masses, and changed gaming forever. It also was the start of the huge developer in a way, with Carmack and Romero being propelled into the limelight. Carmack has always been an interesting one. Despite indulging a bit as a he should, he has always been focused on bettering things. This came at the determinant IMO once Romero got lazy and he “resigned.” The games have been garbage gameplay wise since post Quake basically, looking at the overall scope. As much fun as I had with Doom3, it was basically a nicer looking Doom1. Scarier though no doubt.

So the main reason why I picked Doom2 was the double-barrel shotgun.

That thing changed multiplayer for me. Single player, the normal Shotgun was the horse you rode. Outside of the Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind, I would take down everything else at times with the shotgun. The double barrel upped the anti. It made diversified multiplayer in that it was wholly unique item. Generally, it was rocket launchers and plasma rifle. Sometimes the BFG if you had time, but generally it took too long to fire. The normal shotgun was worthless. So the double added in one shot kills at close range. So for example, someone lights up a BFG, rush them quickly if you can with a double barrel at point blank and they are done.

The WAD scene was awesome too. I played people not only via LAN, but dial-up modem. Frequently, we all played the DWANGO mods, which were amazing for multiplayer.

***Fight the mind-controlling Zemus***
---

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :tup :tup to Doom and Starcraft

My only problem with Starcraft is myself, I am so bad that I can never play multiplayer because I just get my ass handed to me.  Been awhile since I even played for fun though.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Doom is a classic but I played Duke Nukem 3D much more.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Outcrier

I like Doom, especially Doom 3.

The fourth one is finally coming this next month. I hope it brings back the series in great style.
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Cable

5) Final Fantasy IV {1991}

-Music post- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2105626#msg2105626

A nostalgic pick, but an important game still. From a series perspective, this game brought about the Active Time Battle (ATB) system. I guess this was a big deal, and something overall that has been used since. Unfortunately when I played the game on iOS, I had to turn it off because the controls were not fast enough for me.

To me, this game has a classic kind of RPG story. To me, that is about swords and magic, royalty and knights and all. This game starts with you, Cecil (canon), as a Dark Knight for what turns out to be a corrupt kingdom. The big part of the theme of this game is redemption for more than one character, mainly you. So that is the big draw of what brings me back to this game.

Also, FF became certainly more Steampunk at FF6 and beyond. To me, having magic and for sure swords is kind of lame when I can just shoot someone. My brother correctly citied this movie’s scene when also aptly making fun of FF7 and FF8 for guns with swords;

So sure FF6, FF7 and FF8 have some much better components. But the theme of those games has always bugged me. Yes, FF4 clearly has technological portions. But they are a little more believable, especially considering the most advanced tech is made by a different race.

This game reinforced my love of four people in my party, with this game having five. It also had fixed character classes, which I wish more RPGs would do. Not everyone should be able to use magic IMO, which will always be my knock on FF6 and beyond. This concept is one of the only reasons I like FF9, because it had fixed roles. Having a physical attacker also be the best mage ever is just kind of lame.

Overall, the challenge is pretty solid. The original FF2 for US used EasyType, which was mostly a joke. I have played a translated ROM, which was quite challenging. The remakes fall somewhere between the original hard eversion, and EasyType. I believe the iOS port of the DS version has a difficulty selection, but I could be wrong.

***Found a giant green frog, but my frog is actually red. Use the grenade + pause trick!***
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:44:52 PM by CableX »
---

Offline Cable

4) Blaster Master {1988}

-Music post- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2101080#msg2101080

So after the fact, this game apparently is highly held as an open world game, since that is all the rage these days. I do not fully understand that, as you have to beat the stages in order to advance in order. To me, it is more of a hub game. Stage 1 has access to Stages 2 & 4, and then you access the other worlds from those. There were no known glitches back in the day that I knew of to sequence break.

Onto the gameplay. One of the great parts of this game is the multiple game play styles. You spend the majority of the time 2D in a tank that can jump. It adds abilities such as hovering and wall climbing as you go. You can also jump out of the tank and fire, but you take more damage, and call die from falling. It is required to get out of your tank to enter the different mode in dungeons so to speak, but that is all it is needed for. Sans one place in World4. When entering dungeons, your character Jason is viewed as larger in an overhead perspective. In this mode, you have access to grenades, and an upgradable gun.

This game was made much easier with the grenade + pause trick on bosses from stage 2,4,6 & 7. I fought the stage 6 boss without it, and was consistently rocked. I barely beat him on my last batch of lives. This game appears on hardest game lists. It was never extremely hard for me. But I knew where to go, and had the grenade trick. Without these things, I would be more inclined to agree.

A solid game from top to bottom. Solid gameplay, solid challenge, and great music.

***The pinnacle of FMV games, Mark Hamill does well***
---

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
hooray for Blaster Master!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

Blaster Master was one of my favorites, but I never got to beat it without the help of Game Genie. Got very far into Level 8 multiple times without it, but was never able to beat the final boss.

My brother actually made up the best Game Genie code for this game. KKPSTV will kill all enemies and bosses in one hit. You do tend to take a bit more damage from running into enemies (which also kills them), but it's not so bad. Anyone who wants to run through this game on a much easier mode should try that code out. Lots of fun.

I would also recommend the Blaster Master Overdrive game that came out for WiiWare some time ago. Pretty much an updated version of the first game. All the music is there, but updated. Most of the weapons and power-ups are back, but it gives you a map (Metroidvania-style) and a fewmore options as far as Jason's gun goes. It's a bit easier as I was actually able to beat it, but the challenge was still there.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Cable

3) Wing Commander IV {1996}

Paging MrBoom_shack-a-lack, he may be the only other person here who played this! Historically speaking, I feel this game was after the peak of Full-Motion Video games. They had a quick buildup, with the 7th Guest and Myst leading the way. Wing Commander 3 (WC) cemented the medium. So WC4 expanded upon it. A king’s ransom went into production costs, and creator Chris Roberts is doing  that now with Star Citizen as well.

The story is that you are Mark Hamill as Christopher Blair, who is retired but called back to action. Other co-stars are Tom Wilson (Maniac) and Malcolm McDowell (Tolwyn). I will not really give anymore for those that don’t want to be spoiled. The game has an awesome twist. This is really the first game that struck up emotions for me, and the ending was brilliantly done. Also for the story, you often have two paths to chose in conversations, which slightly modify the ending. They have a great impact on the missions you do. These were a feature in the predecessor WC3 as well.

The only downfall of this game is the dated combat look. Quake2 came out the following year, and I think 3D graphics GPUs were slowly being adopted after this game. One negative review I read somewhere in preparation of this basically criticized the game based on that it had seemed. WC:Prophecy would address this issue in flying colors IMO- that game looked and felt awesome.

To me, the actual combat was no better or worse than WC3. The ships were better I feel, and the armament was quite cool. Using a mini-gun type cannon was fun. Also, getting the Dragon ship near end was so cool. The features that thing had made the game even more enjoyable.

The missions were a step up too. Some a little strange (launching marines in a missile), but also interesting at the same time. There were a lot of missions with new touches beyond just a dogfight and escort type missions.

***So here is that overrated, overhyped, crappy indie game***
---

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
The Wing Commander series is so underrated in video game history.  Mad props for the high ranking.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Never heard of it, but I give it points just for having Mark Hamill and Malcolm McDowell. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

I played WC1 for SNES. Fun game, but never played another one.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
I played WC1 for SNES. Fun game, but never played another one.

I'm not sure how that would have worked out, the game really needed PC computing power back in the day.  WC3 & WC4 were also several steps up from the early games.

• DT.net Member
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 08:35:23 PM by black_floyd »

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Done, but wouldn't it be easier to make a new thread and archive this one? Just saying :P

• DT.net Member
Yeah. I'll probably do that when CableX finishes. Thanks for your promptness too.

Offline Cable

2) Untertale {2015}

-Music post- https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=45829.msg2103735#msg2103735

[TINY SPOILERS POTENTIALLY, but I didn't tip off any specific characters and plot.I tried to be spoiler free.]

This game defies words for me at times. For those that don’t know, it is an independent game, mostly done by one guy (Toby Fox). It is an RPG, with some heavy throwback elements, most obviously the graphics and most of the music. This game is also heavily inspired apparently by Mother2/EarthBound. Genowyn is the only person I saw with EB on his list. I personally have never played Earthbound, but some of the humor and eccentric-ness of that inspired this, and that is clear.

This really is also my first independent played game, per recommendation from my friend. The game is bookended by this unexpected tension, and almost shock at times. It also has a stellar foundation of choices built into it, and it remembers little tiny tidbits of things you did.

So why does this rate so high? It truly made me think about myself, and how I do things and what I think and feel. It has provided *determination* for me. It reinforced my beliefs about the balancing forces of people and the balance of things overall. Therefore, I think a game that has done that much for me, it is worth placing this high up this soon. This very well could be number one eventually. But it could shift to #3 as it stands now.

The game is a sort of commentary on various things. Most notably, it comments on the nature of RPG’s as whole. While not giving away the one large thing, it pokes fun at selling your wares at town stores. In basically all RPGs, this is an option.

That is not to say it is perfect. There is some drag in the game, I would say about a middle way in, lasting past 2/3’s in. I REALLY dislike one of the secondary characters a whole lot. And not every song is a home-run. Also, one other thing about a character bugs me, but it is buried so it really doesn’t matter.

Music reprise, Smooth McGroove has been nailing the songs. SPOILER THOUGH, don’t actually watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8543q-vR0D8

The battle system is worth commenting on as well. It is atypical to most RPGs IMO, in that is combines bullet-hell movement in commands. To me, most traditional RPGs don’t have action game elements.

All being said, people will still not play it due to hype. One person I know dismissed the game based on a portion of Letsplay. I cannot blame him, but that is also missing the point. I guess that it is fine. The game is brilliant, but it is not for everyone due to presentation maybe. But the fact that so much emotion IMO is packed into the game, all without voice acting, it a pretty remarkable thing. Further, that one guy basically did the whole thing. Fox exceeded basically any game I have played in emotional resonance. Even if he didn’t for other people, the fact that one guy did this much is commendable. All the games I mentioned had bigger teams, and nowhere near the feel IMO.

And to conclude my anti-climatic top two…
  ***Who wins, the Ur-Quan Kzer-Za or Ur-Quan Kohr-Ah*** 
---