Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 234612 times)

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
Never played the batman game, but Uncharted 2 is amazing:
Uncharted 4 is gonna be off the charts.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
I only got halfway through Batman but it was one hell of a game.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Love the Batman games, am looking forward to playing the newest some day.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
Well I highly endorse Arkham Knight because....

6. Batman: Arkham Knight (2015)

....it made it in my top ten. Needless to say, next to Assassin's Creed, the Batman: Arkham franchise is my favorite. Arkham Knight is the 4th installment, and vastly improves from the previous Batman: Arkham Origins game. It expands on the past 3 games with building on the franchise's revolutionary strike and counter fighting style with more powerful moves, contracting a larger and more detailed open world, and instead of flying to get to places, you now have full capability of using Batman's mainstay gadget: THE BATMOBILE. And let me tell, there's no greater joy than being able to race in the streets of Gotham than using that Batmobile.

Arkham Knight wraps up the game franchise nicely. This is it. Rocksteady says that this is the very last Batman: Arkham game, but there's Easter Eggs in the game that teases that is not the last Superhero game that they will develop. The story is very respectful to one of the most enduring Batman storylines ever. The performances in this game are top notch, most notably John Noble of The Lord of the Rings and Fringe fame as The Scarecrow. Mark Hamill returns as The Joker, despite him announcing that Batman: Arkham City would be his very lasting voicing that character. I'm not complaining! He absolutely shines. The series ended on a high note.

5) Super Mario World (1990)

Super Mario World is my favorite Mario game ever. Not only was it the launch title of the great SNES console, but   it featured the new signature gameplay mechanic of a rideable dinosaur. It's one of the most fun games that I have ever played in all of my life. The level designs are among some of the best and most challenging the series has ever had, and even if you've already found all the hidden stuff, it's still fun to just go back and play through them time and time again. It's not a long game by today's standards, but there's so much wacky hidden stuff to dig through. The thing that really makes Super Mario World stand out is just how incredibly well crafted an adventure it is.

Even though it was the launch game for the SNES, it was still one of the best looking games, and it still pleasing to look at today. The graphics are colorful, the animations are cute, and there's a wide variety to the world's scenery. Mario's abilities are more focused than the previous games, and there are certain inventions that made it's debut, like the item storage box where an extra power-up would rest in reserve until called upon. The game is still great to pick up and play today.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Can't complain about SMW being in the top 5. :hefdaddy

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!

:tup Ditto. Easily my favourite of the Mario games, and I'm a big fan of all the 8 and 16 bit Mario games. I love the aspect of exploration and second level endings to find the bonus levels.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Cable

:tup Ditto. Easily my favourite of the Mario games, and I'm a big fan of all the 8 and 16 bit Mario games. I love the aspect of exploration and second level endings to find the bonus levels.

Amen bro.  ;D

While I think I have firmly placed SMB3 in the top spot over SMW, it's not an easy choice. SMW had less options as far as power ups, but the power up with the cape felt so well designed and useful. I mean, you could fly over a whole stage, without needing a somewhat rare pWing. It also required skill though. With a pWing you would just mash the fly button.

The jumping options were stellar, and the little quirks you could do as a result were awesome. I'm thinking things like tossing a Koopa Shell up and catching in on a vine, jumping off of Yoshi in mid air, and not swimming as high in water by using a different button/arrow pattern. And that Blue Yoshi- how flipping awesome was he?! I swear the Special world stages would have been so much harder without him.

After talking about this, me thinks I need to play SMW again- maybe SMB3 is not a clear winner hahaha.
---

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Super Mario world is a God tier kind of game  :hefdaddy

I really enjoyed Arkham knight. My only complaint would be too much tank combat. The batmobile itself I was fine with though, especially after I got the 89 Burton batmobile. I wish I could have played the whole game with that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I should get Arkham Knight, I just heard it was unplayable on PC when released so kind of went to the back of my mind, but if the bugs are fixed, I should get it.

Offline Accelerando

4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (2013)

Black Flag is a stunning and beautifully realized Pirate tale, full of adventure and exploration. Perhaps that is why Black Flag is my favorite game in the series. It does expand on the very disappointing Assassin's Creed III, but bests it on all accounts. The agonizing forest exploration is now simplified, crafting becomes fun as it's integral to your high seas journey, and you get more naval combat. Like 60% of the game is set on a pirate ship that you have to upgrade throughout the game in order battle more powerful ships. It's not starting to sound like an Assassin's Creed game, huh? It's such a departure from the previous games, as well as the franchise's most ambitious game. Next to Ezio, Captain Kenway is the best character in the series.

Black Flag is nothing short of remarkable. Cities like Havana and Nassau reflect the series' trademark attention to detail, from the stonework cathedrals of the former to the ramshackle taverns of the latter. Then there are the remote islands inhabited by nothing more than crabs and sea turtles, underwater shipwrecks waiting to be explored, and vast stretches of sparkling Caribbean waters that are every bit as deadly as they are gorgeous.

What makes Black Flag so special is the way it captures the thrill of sailing the open sea. It's more than the spectacle of a humpback whale leaping into the air, or the sound of your crew breaking out into a sea shanty just as the sun is beginning to set across the horizon. It's the feeling that there's always something out there to be discovered, rewards waiting to be captured no matter who's standing in your way.

#3 Red Dead Redemption (2010)

Red Dead Redemption is hands down one of the greatest video games ever made. No game has put in the passion and power of the Old West like this one has. Rockstar have created this beautiful world with finesse that satisfies every need of anyone who has ever fantasied about being a cowboy. I've never played a GTA game, but from what has been described to me about this games, Red Dead Redemption is played out like it only it's set in the 1800s. There's a straightforward mission until the story branches off into separate areas and you meet different characters. Which missions he takes, and in which order he takes them is – within the constraints of the central story – up to him, and even if he’s not on an active mission, there’s still plenty of stuff to do.

The majority of the game takes place in the vast spaces of the canyons and the wild frontier. In this game, you fight, you hunt, you herd cattle, and ride horses. The main character, James Marston, is a gunslinger by trade. Firing guns, especially while ducking and hiding, has never been more fun. There’s just enough assistance when aiming to make you feel like a bad-ass without leaving you feeling like the game is playing itself. The various varmints you’re up against aren’t the smartest adversaries around, but they can use cover and move about when necessary, and the game can challenge you with overwhelming numbers. It's fast paced, and it's fun. Red Dead Redemption is a complete game in every sense, and manages to offer an attention to detail you rarely see from a game of this scope.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Red Dead, very nice!  I'd love a sequel on next gen for that game.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
There are rumors that there is a third on in the works.

Offline Accelerando

Time to finish this bad boy off!

25. Tetris

24. Super Mario Galaxy

23. Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II

22. Super Mario Brothers

21.  Lego Batman 2: DC Superheroes

20. Super Smash Bros. : Melee

19. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles In Time

18. Tomb Raider

17. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga/The Clone Wars

16. Mario Kart Double Dash

15. Donkey Kong Country

14. God of War III

13. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

12. Goldeneye 007

11. The Walking Dead: Season 1

10. L.A. Noire

9. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

8. Batman: Arkham Asylum

7. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

6. Batman: Arkham Knight

5. Super Mario World

4. Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

3. Red Dead Redemption

2. The Last of Us (2013)

Naughty Dog has proven itself again as one of the most accomplished development teams in the world. The Uncharted franchise is one of the greatest showcases of cinematic storytelling. They have shown how far the craftsmanship of making video games has come. Naughty Dog's pinnacle game however is The Last of Us. Simply put, The Last of Us is a masterpiece. It's the Playstation 3's best game, and the PS4 remaster is even more great. Easily. It's powerful, emotionally draining, and absolutely one of the finest games of this generation.

This game has a tendency of getting you emotionally attached to the characters of Joel and Ellie. These are two amazing characters who are heart and soul of this journey. What follows these two incredible characters is a journey that will test your limits as it touches upon society as a whole in ways that I myself wasn't even expecting. Their dysfunctional father-daughter like relationship with Joel pushes the story forward. The visuals in this game are just superb. The environments are absolutely loaded with detail that builds a frightfully immersive and believable world. It feels real as you traverse it. The game encourages exploration and scrounging, and with a variety of supplies, you can craft numerous weapons to help defend yourself against monsters and humans alike. Simply put, one of the greatest games I ever played.

1. Batman: Arkham City (2011)

This is my all time favorite game. Batman: Arkham City is a game that I put at any time, and I will fully invest myself in playing. It doesn't matter what mood I'm in. I'll spend hours and hours playing this game, exploring the open world, and fighting bad guys in one of the most entertaining combat mechanics ever in the history of video games.  Arkham City elevates everything that Arkham Asylum gave us. It's a bigger, better, and more pulse pounding game than Asylum. While City plays out very similar to Asylum, but the stakes are bigger, as is the incredibly detailed open world.

This game has a dark look and feel that pulls you in. The dingy, grungy look of the city, the background music and ambience. All of these together invade your subconscious until you feel alive with primal, survival instincts. The enemies are different this time around. There are bad guys with stun rods, armored outfits and broken bottles all have to be dealt with in very specific ways. Feeling like Batman made Arkham Asylum a must-play, and Arkham City continues that tradition. I needed to assess threats and engage situations like Batman would. Batman's gliding ability combined with being able to grapple from midair makes it easy to get around the city. It's fun, the physics are well done, and it is practically useful. Not only is this game one of the best, if not, the best super game ever made, its simply one of the best games of this generation.

Thank you everyone for following! Hope you enjoyed it as much as i did making this list!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
You really love those Batman games!  Can't blame you though, they are great and totally agreed on the fighting mechanics.  So much fun.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
A worthy entry for anyone's favorite game.  It's practically flawless.  Builds upon everything great in Asylum, makes it better, and has a tremendous storyline to go with it as well.   :tup

I'll start firing mine up by the end of the week.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jarlaxle

Never played a batman game, but with all the love recently I just might.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
I've had the Wii U Arkham City for a year and haven't played it. May have to do something about that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
have arkham city on steam, already played asylum, thought it was pretty good, wasn't blown away by it or anything though. will get to city inevitably.

personally i prefer yoshi's island to SMW but both are great

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Akrham City is good, definitely better than Asylum and a really fun game, but I wouldn't put it anywhere near my top games ever, personally.

The Last of Us, though, that's one powerful game.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
deleted
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:26:01 AM by Cyclopssss »
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Is that about one of the games posted recently, or did you mean to post in the video games thread?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
I've had the Wii U Arkham City for a year and haven't played it. May have to do something about that.

have arkham city on steam, already played asylum, thought it was pretty good, wasn't blown away by it or anything though. will get to city inevitably.

Took me a year to get around to playing Arkham City so I guess I am not the only one who had this game on the back burner for awhile.  It was worth it though when I finally played through it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Ok... chatter died off pretty quick, but that was a damn fine list, Accelerando.  But now, it's time for the Rise of the Fogey

Just so you know what you’re getting in to if you decide to follow.  My video game history is broken into 4 distinct segments – in the early 80s as a pre/teenager, the Commodore64 was my platform.  I easily played 50+ different kind of games on that platform.  Then, as a teenager with more freedom and mobility, hours upon hours (and surely hundreds - if not thousands - of dollars) were spent at the arcade with a fistful of quarters (great documentary by the way) – actually, gimmee a roll of quarters a few times a week, and I’d be good to go for hours at a time, or an entire weekend.  In 1992, I went to University, and had floor-mates in first year with a Sega Genesis console.  Many hours were spent in the dorm lounge and/or room-mate’s rooms.  I remember how sore my thumb muscles were the first week I spent playing that system. After graduation, I never had a console of my own, so only played a handful of PC games from ’96-’10, when I finally bought a PS3.  Anyone not at least in their mid-30s is gonna have the C64 games go completely over their head, while any fogey’s here might get a trip down memory lane.

Given the sheer number of C64 games I played, I probably could've made a list of 25 of those games pretty easily.  So, I'm gonna fire off some honorable mentions first - and for you younglings, some screen caps of what our graphics in the 80s was like.

Honorable Mentions (Part 1):
Choplifter – as a helicopter pilot, you have to navigate through warzones to rescue fallen POWs, while dropping bombs (like turds) on the enemy.

Hard Hat Mack – a knock off of Donkey Kong and Miner 2049r.  This was the first game published by EA.

Impossible Mission I and II – sleuth/detective… you’re a secret agent racing against the clock to reassemble and decrypt password pieces by searching various rooms

Lode Runner – you’re s stick figure collecting gold from multi-level brick-like structures with ladders and hand-over-hand bars for vertical/horizontal movement while being chased by stick-figure guards

Motor Mania – top view driving game.

Out Run – 3D third person racing.  Man, I thought these graphics (in 1987) were radular

Raid Moscow – Russia plans to launch 3 nukes at the US, and you (a space pilot) have to complete three stages to stop them
station.

Way of the Exploding Fist – before there was Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat, there was this.

Winter/Summer Games – just as it says… Olympic gaming competition
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I know a few of those (and some other very similar games as you got back then). :tup

And Outrun's graphics WERE radular!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I remember playing Outrun in arcades. Played the shit out of Summer/Winter Olympics on the 2600. Not sure if I played any of the others, no bells ringing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Another Fogey reporting in.

My gaming experience started with a Commodore 64 too and I had a shitload of games, many of them I looked at once and dismissed them but a lot of them I played regularly.

Impossible Mission: "Destroy him my robots, ha ha ha". This game had actual speech.

Raid over Moscow (and Beach Head from the same company) were put on index in Germany (meaning you can't buy it openly and not if you're younger than 18) because of it's violence. We had them nonetheless and how daring we felt, because we had forbidden games  :biggrin:

Outrun: We thought that graphics couldn't get any better

Way Of The Exploding Fist: Played it till my fingers bled

Summer/Winter Games: simply epic, especially when playing with more people.

Ah, those were the days.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Outrun was so damn fun to play with friends.  We'd battle for best times.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Since you know Miner 2049er, I expect it on the list now.  Or else.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I never had a C64 (when it came out, I was a poor 21 year old with a baby girl and different priorities) so most of these games don't fall into my experience. A neighbor friend had one and I do remember playing Out Run on his machine.

I was somewhat of an Atari loyalist, probably because I'd bought an Atari 800, when I was 18 or so, on the recommendation of my best-friend's Dad. I mainly used my Atari to play chess games and write die-rolling programs to speed up conflict resolution for our Thursday night AD&D games...yes, I was a Dungeon Master. :blob:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
yes, I was a Dungeon Master. :blob:

Weren't we all?  :biggrin:  I dug being the master occasionally, but my forte was my Paladin Knight.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
I was about to derail this thread with reminiscences of AD&D...

Better not.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
And Outrun's graphics WERE radular!

Outrun: We thought that graphics couldn't get any better

Outrun was the best thing I had ever seen.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
The C64 was before my time, but you are right about those graphics on Out Run.  Judging from that screenshot it looks like something that could have been on Sega.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Since you know Miner 2049er, I expect it on the list now.  Or else.

doesn't sound like it's going to be.  We might have to settle for it being one of the honorable mentions on my list.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Honorable Mentions - Part 2

The honorable mentions from the other 'phases' of my gaming history.

Arcade
Addams Family – the highest selling pinball game of all time.  “Thank you Thing.”
Asteroids –The algorithms to get the complete randomness of your jet propulsion, and the asteroids (speed/direction/size) was pretty good.  Visually, it’s as basic as it gets though.
Double Dragon – beat-em-up tag-team martial arts
Gauntlet – multi-player medieval combat game
Missile Command – this required some strategy, quick thinking and even quicker reflexes
Mortal Kombat – the 1st gen was an unbelievably innovative game.  FINISH HIM!
Space Invaders – the grand-daddy of all arcade games
Spy Hunter – one of the first non-joystick/roller ball games, aided by the Peter Gunn main theme.
reflexes
Terminator 2 (Pinball) – with the movie being as popular as it was at the time, and actual Arnie audio prompts, this was a hella fun game.

Sega/PC
Sim City – the original that everything became based off of.
NBA Hangtime – I’d always play with my pals as Kevin McHale.  Man that dude could knock down some trey’s.
Star Wars: Dark Forces – Doom, but for Star Wars.  What a great storyline.  It was the highest selling game from ’93-’99.  That Dark Trooper was hard as shit to kill.  This would've been game #26 on my list.
Tie Fighter – First person dog fighting from a Tie-Fighter.

PS3
Battlefield – Got this on the cheap, and the single-player missions in I and II are really fun.
Spider Man: Web Of Shadows – Great combat modes, huge world, lots of inclusion of additional characters, and you can chose to play good/bad in red-suit or black-suit.