Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231698 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Lynxo's "It hurts when I poo" list (pg. 44)
« Reply #1610 on: September 09, 2015, 07:40:19 AM »
I have absolutely no problem with retro. My first RPG-experiences were Ultima IV and later Bard's Tale on a Commodore 64 (yes I'm old) and I revisited both just some time ago with a C64 emulator.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Lynxo's "It hurts when I poo" list (pg. 44)
« Reply #1611 on: September 09, 2015, 07:56:01 AM »
Hard question because they're not that great these days.
Not sure I'd entirely agree with that, though for me VII and IX do stand out as being great in both gameplay and story/character. I haven't disliked any and they've all done one of those things well, but none of the rest have done both well. VIII and XII had great gameplay (XII is probably my favourite in that regard) but considerably less interesting stories/characters, whereas I really liked the narrative and characters in X and XIII but the gameplay in both was quite linear and not as fun.

EDIT: Yeah if you have no problem with out of date graphics then I would say definitely start with VII. Personally.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1612 on: September 09, 2015, 08:15:11 AM »
Alright thanks, if I get it somewhere for a reasonable price I probably will try out FFVII.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1613 on: September 09, 2015, 08:36:57 AM »
Pretty sure it's available on almost all platforms now, including Steam, PS4 and mobiles.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #1614 on: September 09, 2015, 08:42:53 AM »
Was hoping to find it on GOG because I like their DRM-free approach. I don't have a PS4 and playing on mobiles/tablets suck if it isn't just a casual game. Will look into Steam when I'm home.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1615 on: September 09, 2015, 08:45:08 AM »
For real, that thing is everywhere. And y'know, after being livid that the remake would be changing the battle system...I bought the new mobile version (which is useless unless you've got an iPhone6 apparently and unless I have zero other apps running, it runs like shit) and I totally wouldn't mind a revamped battle system. HOWEVER, god forbid they change the materia system, I absolutely love that system and other than adding some tweaks to it, I'd love if it remained relatively the same. It promotes leveling of a character, yet is diverse enough to allow customization of others and different combinations (or even combining this system with Crisis Core...which I vaguely remember being very similar but different somehow). Good stuff.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1616 on: September 09, 2015, 08:46:15 AM »
Hard question because they're not that great these days:lol

This would be an opinion that I do not share. I have played through 12 of the original 14 Final Fantasies (excluding FFXI Online and XII, which I have played but haven't finished). And while there are one or two that are clearly at the bottom of my personal list, I would say they all have something great to offer. The fact is they are all different, and they have different eras that people enjoy differently. My opinion is maybe play one from each era and work from there.

NES - Play the first one. It's easily better than II, and infinitely easier than III.
SNES - Play VI. It's arguably the best of the 3 for SNES. It has a better storyline than V, and better gameplay than IV.
PSX - Can't go wrong with any of them, but VII is easily the most-loved. My favorite was VIII, and IX felt like a classic FF.
PS2 - This was the dark ages for me. Never played any of these when they came out. Have beaten X, which was good. XI you probably won't be able to play as it's an MMO that is 10 years old and at the end of it's life. XII was good, too, but like I said I haven't finished it.
PS3 - Play XIII. It is easily the most polarizing of the series, but go into it with an open mind. You may be surprised. XIV was actually really good, and was my first venture into MMOs. If not for the monthly sub, I would still be playing this.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1617 on: September 09, 2015, 09:32:08 AM »
Final Fantasy VII was good but never loved it like most people maybe because the first FF i've played was VIII and my love did go for that one instead.

Ow man, no Symphony of the Night  :'(
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1618 on: September 09, 2015, 01:56:25 PM »
can I say my piece

i played symphony of the night recently, and didn't find it that great. good, sure, far from a bad game, but not like, mindblowing or anything, maybe you had to be there i dunno

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1619 on: September 09, 2015, 03:03:19 PM »
Hm, i have no problem with Lynxo not having Symphony of the Night on his list. I just thought it would appear since he has Super Metroid on it and both games are considered the best Metroidvanias ever (and i happen to love them too ;)).

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1620 on: September 11, 2015, 09:06:23 AM »
It certainly could have been there, if not for the fact that I never owned a copy and thus, have only briefly played it. I've been meaning to get a copy of it but it's GOD DAMN expensive these days. (The physical copy that is.)

And the reason I say that modern FFs are bad is because of XII and its sequels. I simply HATE 13 with a burning passion for turning my favorite game series of all time into a bad anime plot with SUPER ANNOYING characters, a plot that makes no sense, a battle system with an "Auto Battle" command and eeeeendless corridors. But that's just my own opinion of course. :)
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1621 on: September 11, 2015, 10:04:29 AM »
XII and its sequels

XII had sequels? I think there was like one sequel for some handheld system, but nothing huge. You must be talking about XIII and its sequels.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1622 on: September 11, 2015, 10:45:59 AM »
He meant the FFs that came after, not direct sequels. After XII, there was XIII, XIII-2 and others.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1623 on: September 11, 2015, 11:53:58 AM »
It certainly could have been there, if not for the fact that I never owned a copy and thus, have only briefly played it. I've been meaning to get a copy of it but it's GOD DAMN expensive these days. (The physical copy that is.)

And the reason I say that modern FFs are bad is because of XII and its sequels. I simply HATE 13 with a burning passion for turning my favorite game series of all time into a bad anime plot with SUPER ANNOYING characters, a plot that makes no sense, a battle system with an "Auto Battle" command and eeeeendless corridors. But that's just my own opinion of course. :)

Firstly, SOTN is worth playing on any platform. You can download it on PS3 for 6 bucks. Highly recommended.

Second, I cannot disagree with you more about FFXIII. I enjoy every aspect of the game that you seem to dislike, haha. The battle system especially. I love RPGs with Auto Battle. Because, really, at the end of the day, what normal run-of-the-mill enemy is going to pose a threat the 14th time you fight them? Probably not many. Give me an auto-battle so I don't have to think about it and they can just die. And it's not like you HAVE to use the auto battle. And, for the bosses and the tougher enemies, you definitely need more of a strategy going into the battle than just "auto." I think the battles are much faster paced than other RPGs, and therefore a lot more fun! In. My. Opinion.  :tup
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1624 on: September 11, 2015, 01:20:22 PM »

That's the general consensus actually, nothing abnormal about your complaints.

You should definitely play SOTN. It's even better than Super Metroid imo.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:27:19 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1625 on: September 11, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
He meant the FFs that came after, not direct sequels. After XII, there was XIII, XIII-2 and others.

Well, in that case, XII was awesome anyways. You didn't HAVE to make your entire team automatically do stuff; you can turn that function off, but the fact that you could make your team actually intelligent was always really cool to me. 'Oh, your partner just died next to you, yes, you CAN use that Phoenix Down to save them!'
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1626 on: September 14, 2015, 11:58:46 PM »
Shouldn't someone else go now?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1627 on: September 15, 2015, 06:08:20 AM »
I hope someone picks it up soon, I love this thread.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1628 on: September 15, 2015, 07:50:15 AM »
hmmm... looks like I'm next. I got my list ready. I'll try and make a post tonight after I get out of work.
WELP.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1629 on: September 15, 2015, 09:59:42 AM »
I sent a PM to the guys in the "May go in the future" list, but got no response. So you're free to go and start your own now :)

Do you want a specific title for the list?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1630 on: September 15, 2015, 09:07:30 PM »
Welcome to OpenYourEyes311's "(Lack of) Variety is the Spice of Life" Top 25 Video Games! It was very tough for me to widdle it down to just 25, so I'll be throwing in some honorable mentions, and grouping a few games together. For my list I am going to post two at a time, but some posts will contain a third as an honorable mention (#30-26). This first post, along with a lot of the rest of the list, contains some classic NES games that launched their respective series'. A lot of series have multiple entries in this list. I'm sorry for the lack of variety as I grew up playing a lot of sequels to games I really loved as a kid, and also if some of the posts are kind of short, as I'm not great at writing. Hope you enjoy anyway! And without further ado...

25. Final Fantasy (1987)

The fantasy that started it all. For me this game was the start of my obsession with RPGs. For anyone who hasn't played the original I'll describe it a bit. You start the game off with the ability to choose your four characters. You give them each a name and one of six jobs: Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, Red Mage, Black Mage, or White Mage. What's great about this aspect of the game is that every game you start could have a completely different party. You could go in all balls out with three or four Fighters, or you could take a more balanced party of a Fighter, Black Belt, Red Mage, Black Mage (this was my favorite, although balls out was fun too!). The game then drops you on a world map where you can fight enemies in a turn-based style. The fighting in this first entry of the beloved series was a little quirky, however. There were lots of "misses" and your characters would not move on to the next enemy if the one they were fighting was killed mid-turn (they would just miss). Part of the charm, I guess! The story is pretty straight-forward, but with what could be called a twist at the end. What really made this game so much fun for me growing up was the replayability. I never had a problem with "grinding" so much, which this game has A LOT of, and playing as different classes/parties was very fun on multiple playthoughs. Final Fantasy has been re-released often, usually with graphical and sound upgrades, most recently for mobile devices in 2012, and the 3DS in Japan in 2014.

24. Super Mario Bros. (1985)

The GAME that started it all. I'm not sure that I even need to descibe this game. Is it possible that a video game fan has NEVER played this?? I suppose it is. In any event, this is the game that pretty much re-invented video games as a whole, and especially the platforming genre. There's so much that makes this game great. The fact that I can run through it in about 10 minutes by warping, or take my time and play all the levels straight through. The fact that no matter how many times I play it, it still has VERY hard sections that will trip me up. There's just no denying, and really I don't think I need to go on about it. All I'll say is that this game's legacy is still around today, with the release of Super Mario Maker just last week. You can make your own SMB levels for everyone's enjoyment. If you want to play the original it has most recently been re-released for the Virtual Console on Wii U in 2013, and 3DS in 2014.

Again, hope you enjoy the list. The write-ups will probably be pretty terrible, and if I F--- up the images, let me know and I'll try and fix it.  :tup
WELP.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1631 on: September 15, 2015, 09:09:15 PM »
I could never get into the older Final Fantasy games. The earliest one that interested me was IV.

Super Mario Bros. -  :metal

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. "(Lack of) Variety is the Spice of Life" (pg. 47)
« Reply #1632 on: September 16, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »
As awesome and nostalgic SMB is, it's probably just above SMB2 as my least favorite Mario game.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. "(Lack of) Variety is the Spice of Life" (pg. 47)
« Reply #1633 on: September 16, 2015, 07:50:02 AM »
Never played a FF game, but SMB is obviously great. Cant' say anything that hasn't already been said. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1634 on: September 16, 2015, 08:47:39 AM »
As awesome and nostalgic SMB is, it's probably just above SMB2 as my least favorite Mario game.

FYI, there will be lots of awesomeness and nostalgia in this list, haha. And there will be more Super Mario games, as well!
WELP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1635 on: September 16, 2015, 08:49:57 AM »
I approve of both nostalgia and Super Mario! Can't wait. :metal
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: September 16, 2015, 08:57:38 AM »
I could never get into the Final Fantasy game, the universe just never seemed appeaing.

SMB is a true classic.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1637 on: September 16, 2015, 09:42:15 AM »
I approve of both nostalgia and Super Mario! Can't wait. :metal

:tup

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1638 on: September 17, 2015, 03:39:10 PM »
HONORABLE MENTION: Mickey Mousecapade (1987)

So this is a fun little platformer that I just had to mention. Again, nostalgia plays a big role here, but also the fact I just recently in the last few years started playing this again every so often and was able to beat pretty regularly (something I was never able to do as a kid). It's a nice, short platformer where you control not only Mickey, but Minnie as well. This is both a blessing and a curse, as she provides an extra attack (assuming you don't miss her "Star" in the first level that allows her to attack), but other than that is pretty much a nuisance to control. But what I love about this game is the environments. Although there's only 5 levels, each has it's own theme and they're all fun to play. Levels 2 (Ocean) and 4 (Pirate Ship) are pretty short and straight forward, but levels 1 (Fun House), 3 (Woods), and 5 (Castle) are pretty much mazes where you have to figure out where to go. It's like a puzzle game in a platformer. I love stuff like that! Mickey Mousecapade has never been re-released, so you'll have to track down an original NES copy, or grab an emulator.

23. Kirby's Adventure (1993)

Awwwww, HE'S SO CUTE! So the beginning of the list has LOTS of NES games. Sorry. It just had so many good games! And Kirby's Adventure is no different. In this game, if you don't know, you play as the lovable marshmallowy Kirby, who eats his enemies and gains their power. Kinda like if Mega Man was a cannibal. The best partof the game is the powers you get. A lot of times you have to figure out what works best in what level. Sometimes there are secrets that can only be unlocked if you have a certain weapon (kinda like Metroid). Now that I'm thinking about it, Kirby is kinda like Metroid and Mega Man and Mario all rolled into one marshmallow. No wonder I like it so much! Adventure's latest re-release is for the Virtual Console on Wii U and 3DS, so check it out if you never have (or even if you have)!

22. X-COM: Enemy Unknown (2012)

Yes, I do play games for today's systems too. I should preface this by saying that I usually do NOT like strategy RPGs. Never got into FF Tactics, tried Rainbow Moon, I just can't get into them. Now, when I say this game BLEW ME AWAY, you'll know why. I grew up watching my brother play the original game on PSOne. I thought it was very intriguing, but looked way too hard. So when I heard they were updating it, I had to check it out. Well, it didn't disappoint. In this game you are fighting aliens that come down to Earth with their UFOs. You shoot them down and go to the crash sites and infiltrate. The longer you survive in the game, the bigger and badder the aliens get. Throughout the game you come to trust your squad. When someone dies, you really feel it, because they're gone for good, and you have to replace them with a rookie.  It's all very realistically done (as much as a video game about an alien invasion could be). Sometimes you'll debate whether resetting and losing an hour or two is worth not having your level 5 sniper die, haha. As I said, the gameplay is strategy, turn-based, which usually turns me off. But this is just so wonderfully done, I completely forgot that I don't usually like games like this. Not knowing what was around the corner made this game pretty intense. It was hard to put this one down. I was always finding reasons to stay up and do another mission. Now I'm finding it hard to stop praising it, haha. Anyway, check this one out if you get the chance. It's on the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC.

WELP.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: September 17, 2015, 05:34:12 PM »
I haven't any of those games but I do own XCOM but I have never installed it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1640 on: September 17, 2015, 09:47:13 PM »
Kirby's Adventure is great. Probably still the best Kirby game.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1641 on: September 18, 2015, 06:04:34 AM »
Kirby's Adventure is great. Probably still the best Kirby game.

Yeah, definitely. Squeak Squad for DS comes close though. It plays like Adventure with a few tweaks. Very fun game!
WELP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1642 on: September 18, 2015, 07:24:53 AM »
Loved Kirby as a kid, great game!

Offline Cable

« Reply #1643 on: September 19, 2015, 09:58:37 PM »
On late to the FF train, but Final Fantasy may be my number 4 or 3 best FF game. I played it when it first came out on NES, and my appreciation grows for the game.  The music was top notch, and underrated IMO. The challenge was crazy- having to go the town to revive for a lot of the game was tough. And man, I had a lot of deaths. The limits on spell casting was a challenge. I love the game a lot.  :tup
---

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1644 on: September 21, 2015, 10:12:24 PM »
21. Knytt Underground (2012)

Here's one you may not know. This is a great Metroidvania-type game, but this one takes a minimalist approach. There are almost no enemies in this game, only obstacles. For most of the game you can move around as a sprite character who can only jump and transform into a bouncing ball. The ball gives you the ability to bounce higher than you could jump, letting you reach places and platforms that would otherwise be too far out of reach. Where most Metroidvania games focus on defeating enemies to gain abilities, Knytt focuses on exploration, giving you all the abilities you need right off the bat. You just need to figure out how to use them wisely. While the map is very large, it doesn't take too long to beat this game. For me, I just needed to see what the next room looked like. Speaking of which, another reason why I absolutely love this game is the way it looks. Some of the backgrounds are just so breathtaking. Very vibrant and colorful. Btw, the endgame secrets are some of the hardest platforming puzzles I've ever seen. Worth the price if you're into that sort of thing. If you would like to check out this deceptively challenging adventure game, you can get it for Wii U, PC, and PS3.

20. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997)

Speaking of Metroidvanias... here is the original from the Castlevania series. This is another game that gets me all excited. I was lucky enough to own this when a college buddy of mine bought it for me. We had recently done a musical in school called "Drakula: the Rock Opera." Don't ask. After rehearsals we would go back to his room and play through the original Castlevania games on NES. We ended up beating all three of them eventually. Anyway, that Christmas he ended up getting me SOTN as a gift! I had never played it up until then, and it did not disappoint. What I LOVED about this game, was that instead of a Belmont, you were using Alucard as your main character. Growing up with Dracula's Curse, my favorite battle was easily the triple threat battle with Sypha, Trevor, and Grant. Seeing these four back together was a sight for sore eyes. Even if you do have to end them, haha. You owe it to yourself to check this platformer out. It's pretty rare these days on PSX, but you can get it cheap on the PlayStation Network. Worth every penny.

WELP.