Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231457 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. It's-a me, ReaperKK! (pg. 28)
« Reply #980 on: February 20, 2015, 12:10:16 AM »
negativity police here

SMB is not a bad game, certainly, but in terms of how far platformers have come it's not a great game by today's standards
that being said I can understand why you'd put it on your list, and it's not like it's way high on a list
so I don't disagree, I played a ton of SMB as a kid too  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #981 on: February 20, 2015, 12:17:39 AM »
Platformers have come a long way, and SMB does look relatively simple by comparison, but I don't think that makes it any less of a great game. It's not even one of my favourite Mario games, but it's still a lot of fun to play even today, and modern games (especially the Mario games obviously), still use the same foundation, mostly just building upon it. For a 30 year old game, I think that's impressive.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Outcrier

Outcrier's fav games and whatever (pg. 25)
« Reply #982 on: February 20, 2015, 01:06:18 AM »
Now i noticed, during my turn, while i didn't pick "Outcrier's fav games and whatever" as the thread title, it kinda fit since my favorite game is Final Fantasy VIII and “…whatever” is Squall's "catchphrase"  :lol

About SMB, i think it's still great despite of how that formula was improved later with SMB3 and forth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 08:48:47 PM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #983 on: February 20, 2015, 01:58:45 AM »
It's not even one of my favourite Mario games, but it's still a lot of fun to play even today
This is pretty crucial. More complicated doesn't mean better, and ultimately for me games need to either (a) be fun to play, or (b) have something artistic about them (narrative, characters, etc). SMB nails the former.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #984 on: February 20, 2015, 02:21:32 AM »
Interesting video of how well-build the very first level of SMB was for its time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2wGpEZVgE  :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #985 on: February 20, 2015, 03:26:05 AM »
You really have to put SMB into context though. Of course it's simple and straightforward, and there's little variety in it, by today's standards. But before Super Mario Bros. platforming games were things like Pitfall, Hero, or Donkey Kong. Good games, but they seemed old and dated the minute SMB hit the shelves. It had an unprecedented level of sophistication and refinement.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #986 on: February 20, 2015, 05:54:05 AM »
Yea while SMB is not the best Mario game, given its time and place of release, its an amazing achievement! It also was a huge part of the video game boom of my generation (I was born one year before it release, but that was still the game to play when I was a kid) and ultimately lead tot he AMAZING SM3 for the NES. 

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #987 on: February 20, 2015, 06:30:12 AM »
SMB brothers was amazing because of the cross over of characters. The fact that Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Samaus, and Mario were in the same place at the same time blew my mind at the time.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: February 20, 2015, 09:28:50 AM »
Another update as promised!

23. Don't Starve (PC 2013)

Back in the Warcraft 3 days I remember there being a mod called Ice Troll Tribes. You were dropped off on a piece of land in the winter and you had to survive essentially. You could also find your friends and either fight or help each other survive. It was a crude, unforgiving mod but it was a blast to play. I always wanted to play a game that was simply about survival.

Now there are many, many survival games out on the market and Don't Starve is one the best. First off the art style is original and appealing. You start off being through in a random map as Wilson and you have a simple task, that is to not starve. The game is hard as the days go by because you have to keep yourself, fed, sane, and out of the dark. As the game progresses you'll discover more about the story of the game. The game is a bit unforgiving at first but it's never unfair and it has some great staying power.

The game didn't seem like much at the start but it has incredible depth, there are many different environments to explore and try to survive it. Also with a recent update you can now play multiplayer with up to 4 people which adds a great new element of teamwork to the game.

22. Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC 2011)

I'm a casual fan of horror games. I played some decent games but nothing that really grabbed me in or something that is truly terrifying. One day my brother calls me up and tells me to download Amnesia and play it at night with headphones on. I was skeptical but he swore up and down that it was a game that I wasn't going to regret playing. 

That night I sit down, turn off the lights, put my headphones on and start this game up. This was the most frightening thing I have ever played or seen in an entertainment art form. What I love about this game is that it's not built on jump scares like so many games are, this game builds a mood that no horror game has been able to do. One of the first frightening moments about the game is walking into a piano room and looking to the right and you quickly see something walking out of the other door. You don't know if you made it up in your head or if your really saw something.

The first 30 minutes of the game are fairly tame. You wake up in a castle and you're tasked with finding out your identity and why you're in the castle. You quickly find out that you gave yourself amnesia and you left yourself little notes about what has been going on as you delve deeper into the pits of this castle.

The game is tense, it grabs you and doesn't let go. The object of the game is not to kill monsters, in fact you can't kill them, you're powerless for the most part, the whole point of the game is to find out what happened to you and in this home. The journey is incredible (although the end is a bit anti-climatic) and if you're a fan of the horror genre then you must play this game.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #989 on: February 20, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »
Wait until you'll be able to play games like that on an Oculus Rift.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #990 on: February 20, 2015, 09:36:58 AM »
Wait until you'll be able to play games like that on an Oculus Rift.

When I first heard of the Oculus rift a couple years ago the first game I thought about was Amnesia. I need to find a way to demo an Oculus.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #991 on: February 20, 2015, 09:46:28 AM »
Interesting video of how well-build the very first level of SMB was for its time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH2wGpEZVgE  :tup

Cool video, but what is up with that guy's voice?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #992 on: February 20, 2015, 10:44:36 AM »
I didn't even notice your post about Don't Starve. I have that on the PS4 and I love it. The longest I've stayed alive is only 16 days though.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #993 on: February 20, 2015, 10:50:26 AM »
It's great, Don't Starve together is so much fun.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #994 on: February 20, 2015, 03:08:58 PM »
I really need to go back and play Amnesia properly. What I did play of it was absurdly creepy, but my brother said I should stick with it because it's absolutely friggin' terrifying. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Cable

« Reply #995 on: February 20, 2015, 05:54:17 PM »
A vote for the Oculus version of Amnesia.

I haven't played Amnesia, and doubt I will (seen videos though). However, great point Chino. The Oculus would slay this game. That one demo/game of the maze is only the top of the iceberg. Games like Half-Life and what not did nothing for me ported over. Amnesia would however be sweet.
---

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #996 on: February 20, 2015, 10:41:20 PM »
SMB brothers was amazing because of the cross over of characters. The fact that Donkey Kong, Pikachu, Samaus, and Mario were in the same place at the same time blew my mind at the time.

We are talking about Super Mario Bros., not Super Smash Bros.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #997 on: February 21, 2015, 07:36:56 AM »
21. Super Smash Bros. (N64 1999)

Well Speaking of SMB, here is the other one; Super Smash Bros. My childhood was playing this game none stop with friends. The game was a welcome change from Mario Kart and Goldeneye and offered something entirely different.

To me this was the best multiplier fighting game for the N64, the controls worked well and everything feels seamless. The graphics where great at the time and the I thought having characters from different universes was an awesome addition. You start off picking a character and basically fighting each other until the last one is standing. You don't kill you opponent, you try and get them off the fighting area by throwing them off. The game can be very challenging if played with the right people but it's always fun.

I still enjoy firing up SMB when I can get some people over to play with.

20. TrackMania Stadium (PC 2012)

There are much better racing games out there but this is my favorite for the simple fact of how quick you can pick it up. It's an easy game to get into yet impossibly hard to master and beat some of the top times. It's another free-to-play game that you can download, probably the best FTP that I can think of actually.

You climb into an F1 car and race around a track, most of the time it's a user created track on a dedicated server. It's an arcade racer that has has you doing loops around the track. It's a fairly simple game but it's executed so well. The racing is competitive with a few different modes that you can play, most of the time you are playing to time attack and trying to set the best time on the map. Winner gets credits which go towards you're global ranking.

There are countless maps to play and it's a simple game to get your friends into and get lost in a few hours. If you like arcade racing at all this is a game that you must try.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #998 on: February 21, 2015, 07:45:11 AM »
Super Smash Bros! :metal I played the hell out of that game.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #999 on: February 21, 2015, 08:06:24 AM »

Now we are talking about Smash  :lol

Btw, never played any Smash since it is multiplayer focused. Never owned any Nintendo console either.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 08:11:31 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1000 on: February 21, 2015, 06:37:58 PM »
Fuck yes Trackmania. I played the shit out of that game for about two years in highschool. So much fun.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1001 on: February 21, 2015, 07:02:01 PM »
Two incredible games

1. Smash bros was a game I spent hours playing. Just something fascinating about it. Sadly, I never could get into the newer ones as the first one.

2. Trackmania is crazy and I love it. Fast, frantic and insane. And a whole lot of fun.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1002 on: February 21, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
1. Smash bros was a game I spent hours playing. Just something fascinating about it. Sadly, I never could get into the newer ones as the first one.

Besides the original, the only other one I've played is Melee, and I prefer the original. Melee felt a bit overdone in terms of level gimmicks and powerups, and the fighting was so fast that I find myself button bashing most of the time. Still a good game that I've played a lot, but the original is my favourite.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #1003 on: February 22, 2015, 07:31:46 AM »

Besides the original, the only other one I've played is Melee, and I prefer the original. Melee felt a bit overdone in terms of level gimmicks and powerups, and the fighting was so fast that I find myself button bashing most of the time. Still a good game that I've played a lot, but the original is my favourite.

Level gimmicks and powerups do not really bother me, as I always play Final Destination with no items. Since I prefer the way Melee controls, that is my favorite.

Melee
Smash 4
(Project M)
N64
Brawl
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: February 22, 2015, 07:41:18 AM »
As much as I loved the N64 SMB I never played any of the others. I just never bought a nintendo system after the 64.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1005 on: February 22, 2015, 04:14:01 PM »
19. FTL: Faster Than Light (PC 2012)

I really like watching Angry Joe video game reviews. He a real passion for games and also gives great insight. One day I saw he reviewed and indie game called Faster Than Light. Watched the review and didn't seem to impressed but it was a lazy Sunday so I said fuck it. I downloaded it and was immediately hooked.

FTL is a top down RTS game, not my usual cup of tea but after installing it the hours seemed to just fly by. You start off with a ship and a crew of three of your mission is to deliver some information to federation headquarters jumping from sector to sector with your faster than light drive.

You start the game warping to one of a few points near you where you'll encounter a random instance. Sometimes a ship may need help, sometimes you may be attacked, other times there is nothing. The majority of the gameplay is fighting though.

The combat system is done amazingly well, you can either pause the game and set up attacks and where you want your crew or you can try to play in real time which I don't suggest. There are a number of ways you can beat your opponent. You can kill their oxygen supply and starve them of air, you can destroy their shields, you can teleport your crew over them and attack them from the inside.

The game is not easy, it's very tough and gets much harder as you progress. I played on easy and it took me a little while to get to the final boss.

Also a quick shout out to the development team. They released an expansion for free to owners of the original game which you don't see too often these days. The game is also available on iPad now and it's just as good, I even bought a second copy so I could play it while traveling.

18. SimCity 3000 (PC 1999)

SimCity 3000 is my favorite of the bunch and my favorite city builder by far (although the new Cities XL looks pretty cool). I was too young to enjoy and appreciate SimCity2k and SimCity 4000 was good but didn't really click with me in the way that SimCity 3000 did.

For those that haven't played you are a Mayor in charge of putting together a new city and making it profitable, it's pretty much a sandbox as long as you don't go broke. Countless hours were spent trying to master the art of bringing in clean energy to the city and when I would get bored I would just drop a tornado or two on the city to see what happens.

I'm really heartbroken that the new SimCity was so bare and disappointing. This was released during the prime years at Maxis.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1006 on: February 22, 2015, 04:27:34 PM »
1. FTL - Heard great things, just haven't gotten around to playing yet

2. Sim City 3000 was my life as a kid. Hours and hours spent building cities. I was always a lego freak and I'm just fasciated with building cities.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1007 on: February 22, 2015, 05:40:15 PM »
Played SimCity a lot as a kid, but never achieved anything, not even a decent city :lol. But I may try it again, I know way more things now, so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1008 on: February 22, 2015, 06:24:18 PM »
SimCity  3000 was the first Simcity I played. I loved everything about it. I would always cause a Natural Disaster just to fuck around.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1009 on: February 22, 2015, 09:47:49 PM »
I played a ton of SimCity3000, such an amazing game.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1010 on: February 22, 2015, 10:21:56 PM »
Never played SimCity 3k but SimCity 2k was the first PC game I ever owned. I had to beg my parents to get it for me and once they finally relented, we could not find the game anywhere. All we could were the Mac versions of the game (Mac versions? WTF?). After weeks of looking we finally found a copy at some random mall computer hardware/software store. I took it him in my greasy little adolescent nerd hands and played the shit out of that game until I got WarCraft 2. I was so absolutely awful at city management. All of my cities ended up as broke, desolate wastelands of abandoned tenements, empty airports, and sad military bases with just one hanger and one airstrip. Yet I still played it over and over again.

When SimCity 3k came out, I was a broke-ass teenager so I had to budget which games I really, really wanted and, sad to say, SimCity 3k, despite me being pretty excited for it, didn't make the list. I did buy SimCity 4, but it just could not match up to the nostalgia and memories I had for 2k.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1011 on: February 22, 2015, 10:28:08 PM »
I never played Sim City 3000, but I've played older ones, and it's always fun. :tup

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1012 on: February 23, 2015, 07:10:47 AM »

:rollin :rollin  :facepalm:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: February 23, 2015, 07:55:18 AM »
Here is another update! There won't be one tomorrow as I'll be away from my computer. I'll get back to my normal schedule Wednesday:

17. Fable (XBox 2004)

Even though everyone was talking about this game it kind of came out of no where, I wasn't really interested in playing it. I was looking for an xbox to mod, my buddy came over and let me borrow the game because I didn't have any.

All I really knew about this game was that it was an RPG that you started as a youth and grew up as you played. At the time I wasn't a bit RPG player but there was a certain magic about this game. The story really gripped me and I really felt like I was being taken for an adventure. I enjoyed making decisions that affected me as the game went on and I got older. There was also a lot of replay value in the game.

I haven't played this game in 8 or 9 years but I can remember how much fun I had. I never played Fable 2 or 3 but I heard that they were largely disappointments so I doubt I'll ever be playing those.

16. The Lion King (Sega Genesis 1994)

I don't remember when I got this game, I remember I was in elementary school and I remember that this was essentially the only game I played for months. This was my favorite game from movie licensed games (Aladdin came close).

There isn't a whole lot that I can write about this game other than you it's 2D side scroller where you play out the whole story of The Lion King as Simba. The soundtrack was great, the game was a lot of fun and the only drawback that I can remember is that the controls could be clunky at times. My buddy and I used to spend hours replaying it, it wasn't too tough to play with the exception of the last battle.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1014 on: February 23, 2015, 08:12:52 PM »
I recently replayed The Lion King and it's still hard as shit. Tons of fun though, one of my favorites as a kid. I had the Super Nintendo version though, so I wonder if it was easier on Genesis or something.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods