Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231519 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Outcrier's fav games and whatever (pg. 25)
« Reply #910 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16:51 AM »
My favorite Sonic game will always be the second one, but I'm willing to admit it probably has a lot more to do with nostalgia than with the quality of the actual games. And really, you can't go wrong with any of the Genesis ones. (At least the numbered ones... :lol )
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Outcrier's fav games and whatever (pg. 25)
« Reply #911 on: February 03, 2015, 06:38:17 AM »
My favorite Sonic game will always be the second one, but I'm willing to admit it probably has a lot more to do with nostalgia than with the quality of the actual games. And really, you can't go wrong with any of the Genesis ones. (At least the numbered ones... :lol )

This

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #912 on: February 03, 2015, 07:58:50 AM »
My whole childhood was S3&K. Played the living shit out of that game and it will forever be one of my very favorites.  :heart

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #913 on: February 03, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »
God of War is the weakest of the main trilogy, but it is still a great game in its own right. Other than a few sections that are much harder than the surrounding areas (liked that damned human sacrifice section), the game is great from start to finish.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #914 on: February 04, 2015, 09:31:23 AM »
HL2 only at 10?

There is other games i like more. Why, it is your 1º?

This

I always thought S3&K was the definitive Sonic experience but love the first two anyway.

My whole childhood was S3&K. Played the living shit out of that game and it will forever be one of my very favorites.  :heart

:hifive:
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #915 on: February 04, 2015, 08:10:29 PM »
Edit: wrong thread
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 09:06:26 PM by MetalJunkie »
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #916 on: February 05, 2015, 03:24:46 AM »
God of War is the weakest of the main trilogy, but it is still a great game in its own right. Other than a few sections that are much harder than the surrounding areas (liked that damned human sacrifice section), the game is great from start to finish.

For now, agreed, but i still have to play God of War III (damn exclusivity :-\).

Love the God of War games!

One more incoming:

7. God of War II (2007)

FINISH HIM!

Another God of War game... Well, this one will be short.

From killing Ares to be forgiven, God of War II presents an even better premise: Kratos wants to get revenge on someone who stripped him down of his "new" godly powers, the King of the Gods himself, Zeus. To make that possible, Kratos seeks the Sisters of Fate with the purpose of going back in time to a point where he still has his powers. In the journey, he visits several places within the Island of Creation, all of them even more beautiful and better designed.
Also, it's pretty cool how, this time around, much more icons of the Greek Mithology make appearences like a few Titans, Pegasus, Prometheus, Icarus and even an animated statue of the Colossus of Rhodes.
But, ultimately, the main reason of what makes GoW2 greater is just a case of better level designs, gameplay ideas and pacing. Everything just flows better by comparison and nearly no areas are a chore to replay through.

6. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (2001)

Metal Gear is a franchise that dates back to NES but, it wasn't till the PS2 that i decided to explore it.
Despite of being praised for its graphics, cinematic cutscenes and refined gameplay (with the new first person mode), Sons of Liberty took some risks about the characters and story, which led to criticism.
At the time of his release, the game got a lot of flak because people thought Snake would be the main character and that illusion was sustained because you did play as him during the beginning of the game (the Tank Chapter). Later, it was revealed the main character was, in fact, a guy named Raiden, who looked like a total opposite of the badass Solid Snake (even his personality). Short story, everyone hated it and crucified the poor slob :lol
Since i played this a long time after the release date, there never was a problem between me and Raiden and it was nice to see Snake, who appears later, from a different perspective (which actually was one of the points behind the change) so, yeah, i think it was beneficial i didn't played it during it's release (and, consequentially, didn't get aboard the hate train).
Something i love about the MGS series is, despite the story getting convoluted and nonsensical at times, it's so damn engrossing and interesting that you don't even care. And this happens a lot here. So many twists and mindfuckery (as the game explores so many themes). That, plus the awesome stealth gameplay the series is know for made me fall into the camp who adore Sons of Liberty, a game which still divide opinions.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 04:03:32 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #917 on: February 05, 2015, 03:35:44 AM »
Huge respect and love for MGS2, but part 1 will always be my favorite.

Tanker I absolutely love beyond words, and most of big shell I really enjoyed, until the virus got uploaded and shit went absolutely off the rails. I was like 14 at the time and was confused beyonds words. Its just got whack. Very sweet game though.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #918 on: February 05, 2015, 03:40:48 AM »

Tanker I absolutely love beyond words, and most of big shell I really enjoyed, until the virus got uploaded and shit went absolutely off the rails. I was like 14 at the time and was confused beyonds words. Its just got whack. Very sweet game though.

You tell me :lol
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:52:55 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #919 on: February 05, 2015, 07:10:16 AM »

Agreed with all on this. Still, can't help but love that damn game.  :heart

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #920 on: February 05, 2015, 10:56:10 AM »
I loved when the MGS2 story went bonkers.  I was also in my early 20s and i was able to follow it.

I love the whole MGS series, but 1&2 were my favorites.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #921 on: February 05, 2015, 12:58:31 PM »
Ah, MGS2... The last hour is a long cutscene broken up by the occasional boss fight, with plot twist after plot twist. It confused the hell out of my 14 year old self, though I think I may be able to understand it now.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #922 on: February 05, 2015, 05:11:17 PM »
By the way, poor Sonic, sandwiched between the God of War  :biggrin:

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #923 on: February 07, 2015, 03:30:01 AM »
5. Metroid Prime (2002)

Déjà vu inducing, eh?

Entering the top five, here's the Metroid game that impressed me so much i held it even higher than Super Metroid.

Last year, while exploring some old games, i decided to try something new: the Nintendo GameCube. Going for some franchises i already knew, the acclaimed Metroid Prime was an easy pick.
First "level" leaved me pretty skeptical. New perspective, the scan feature, so odd. But, as soon i reached Tallon and explored the Chozo Ruins, everything just clicked. It was amazing how it really felt like a Metroid game, only in 3D and first person. I thought the gameplay would be more like a FPS but, instead, i got a FPA (First-person Adventure). As for the rest, the good old Metroid formula, featuring the colored doors, the secret areas/items and staple upgrades such as the Morphing Ball.

Prime art style and graphics surprised me. While most 3D games quickly becomes dated, this one aged very well.

Not bad for being more than ten years old.

The electronic/techno influenced soundtrack is another point that scored high personally. Cool to hear some remixes of sounds and music from the old titles as well.

Now, for 2D Metroid fans who never tried the Prime games, i say: don't be by intimidated by the differences, the essence is still the same.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:45:15 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #924 on: February 07, 2015, 04:44:26 AM »
As much as I like the platformers, I think that this is probably my favourite Metroid game. I was just completely sucked in by the atmosphere of Prime almost immediately, and as you mentioned, the soundtrack is great and it really adds a lot to that experience.

Offline Randaran

« Reply #925 on: February 07, 2015, 09:02:04 AM »
My favorite Metroid game.  :tup Nice pick. The sequel had better boss fights, but this one is better overall.

If any of you have not done so, I highly recommend watching speed runs of both Prime and Prime 2. Metroid games are great for speed runs, and these are no exception.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: February 07, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »
Metroid Prime is an amazing achievement, taking what was great about the NES and SNES games and ramping it up to the next level. I hate to say any game is flawless, or perfect, but Prime comes about as close as possible. A fair challenge, amazing music and ambiance, fantastic controls, and interesting story without being too complicated.

Most adventure games, you walk in to a new room or area, with your sword/gun/whatever set, ready to be attacked by whatever beasts are ready to greet you. In the Prime games, I love how you enter a new place for the first time, their is a nice camera flyover of the area, and then... nothing happens. it is up for you to explore, figure out where to go, what to do, and discover what creatures might be waiting for you.

Echoes is a great game too, and Corruption might be as well, though I played it years later, when my interest in gaming had waned.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #927 on: February 07, 2015, 05:59:54 PM »
Although I loved this one (and that near-impossible final boss), I slightly prefer Echoes. But I love all of the Metroid games anyways. Great list  :heart.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #928 on: February 08, 2015, 11:09:34 AM »
As much as I like the platformers, I think that this is probably my favourite Metroid game. I was just completely sucked in by the atmosphere of Prime almost immediately, and as you mentioned, the soundtrack is great and it really adds a lot to that experience.

Sure but, being a Metroid game, that's a given  ;)

My favorite Metroid game.  :tup Nice pick. The sequel had better boss fights, but this one is better overall.

If any of you have not done so, I highly recommend watching speed runs of both Prime and Prime 2. Metroid games are great for speed runs, and these are no exception.

I've watched some. First replay, i'm definitely gonna try some of the sequence breakings, especially these where you go "outside" the map.

Echoes is a great game too, and Corruption might be as well, though I played it years later, when my interest in gaming had waned.
Although I loved this one (and that near-impossible final boss), I slightly prefer Echoes. But I love all of the Metroid games anyways.

Still have to play Echoes and Corruption but, no rush.

Great list :heart.

:-*

BTW, while most gameplay mechanics were successfully transitioned to 3D, the way the Morphing Ball was handled stucked with me:

Such a joy to morph into a little ball and go through the sequences that require it.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: February 08, 2015, 07:42:16 PM »
Get the Prime Trilogy for Wii - playing these games with the Wiimote is but a delight, far more comfortable than with a GameCube controller. And I think the first two Prime games have a subtle, slight graphical improvement because they use Corruption's engine.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #930 on: February 10, 2015, 12:49:20 AM »
Get the Prime Trilogy for Wii - playing these games with the Wiimote is but a delight, far more comfortable than with a GameCube controller. And I think the first two

Prime games have a subtle, slight graphical improvement because they use Corruption's engine.

Unfortunately, i don't own a Wii but, since Wii U has backwards compatibility, maybe i get one.

4. Resident Evil 4 (2005)

A warm welcome.

At the 4th spot, the REinvention of Resident Evil :P

For the series, Resident Evil 4 is the point where Survival Horror took the backseat in favor of a more action oriented gameplay, with some big changes that amped up the accessibility linearity, new perspective and the over-the-shoulder aiming, to say a few.
Because of that, RE 4 reception was interesting. In one side, people praised it as not only the best RE, but a masterpiece while some fans of the old style thought it was dumbed down for the masses.
While in most cases i would agree it was dumbed down, RE 4 is an exception. Easier? Sure but difficulty isn't something that makes a game good or bad by itself. Not scary anymore? Yeah but, in turn, you experience some of the best action a game can offer. Not only that, everything is so memorable, from the cutscenes to the enemies and level designs (it's really hard to pick a favorite segment because of the campaign being so consistently good throughout).
Another cliche but it has to be said: the flawless pacing. From shit going hard when Leon reachs the village for the first time or some tense enemies encounters (such as the creepy Regenerators) to the relief of reaching a Save Room, these situations rarely overstay their welcome and, to keep things fresh, the game is always throwing something new at you.
To be honest, i can't help but roll my eyes when i hear some say RE 4 is where Resident Evil died just because it isn't anything like it's predecessors. Even better, it manages to transcends the series to be, on it's own, one of the greatest games ever made so...

...all hail the king  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:31:01 AM by Outcrier »

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #931 on: February 10, 2015, 03:43:14 AM »
As a kid, I bought that game but always stopped just as those villagers start attacking you from every corner because it scared the shit out of me. I've never understood why RE4 is considered less scary?

Or maybe I'm just a pussy. :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #932 on: February 10, 2015, 04:44:06 AM »
Like i said, Resident Evil 4 is more about Action than Survival Horror. In the older REs, you had much less ammo and inventory space so, sometimes, you couldn't kill all enemies and had to escape them, all in tight hallways most of the times.
Also, the tank controls and fixed camera angles made you more prone to mistakes.

But, if you truly wanna know why RE 4 isn't as scary as you think, try playing any Silent Hill ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 04:50:22 AM by Outcrier »

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #933 on: February 10, 2015, 04:55:10 AM »
Big love for MGS2, and RE4.  I only played RE4 a couple years back, having been somewhat familiar with the first three - it was the first RE I actually finished and re-played, and that's probably because its nowhere near as frightening as any of the other ones :lol.

I've lost count of how many times I've played through Sons of Liberty - such a fantastic game.  I remember being uber confused the first time the game started going apeshit (though 13 year old me didn't mind the radar being replaced with that lovely little Japanese woman in that video :lol ).  The lack of Snake didn't really bother me that much.  Annoying as Raiden can be, it was kinda refreshing having a fresh-faced, inexperienced woman as a main character :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: February 10, 2015, 07:09:11 AM »
Never played any of the RE after 2 so I am not familiar with the newer game play.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #935 on: February 10, 2015, 08:41:49 AM »
I've lost count of how many times I've played through Sons of Liberty - such a fantastic game.  I remember being uber confused the first time the game started going apeshit (though 13 year old me didn't mind the radar being replaced with that lovely little Japanese woman in that video :lol ).  The lack of Snake didn't really bother me that much.  Annoying as Raiden can be, it was kinda refreshing having a fresh-faced, inexperienced woman as a main character :lol

After playing a certain game, i didn't thought i was gonna like Sons of Liberty that much since it's viewed as the weakest of the four main Metal Gear Solid games but, it did proved me wrong. I guess that is a testament to how great the series is.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: February 10, 2015, 02:29:11 PM »
I replayed this game too many times - its just so addictive and fun. Will never forget phrases like "Detras de ti, imbécil!" :lol .

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #937 on: February 11, 2015, 09:23:23 AM »
Spanish is similar to Portuguese so it was funny understand all shit the Ganados say to Leon :lol

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #938 on: February 11, 2015, 02:43:20 PM »
They call him asshole a lot, right? Cabron?

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: February 11, 2015, 03:11:42 PM »
I played Resident Evil 0 on N64 or GC (whichever it came out on) and eventually gave up as I couldn't get far and got tired of getting my ass handed to me. Thought it was a cool game though.

Picked this up for the Wii on a whim. Really enjoyed it, but toward the end was losing interest and just finished it to get to the end. A fun game, one I'd recommend, but I have no interest in replaying, and do not get the super-high praise it gets.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #940 on: February 12, 2015, 05:26:45 PM »
After playing a certain game, i didn't thought i was gonna like Sons of Liberty that much...

3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004)

Welcome to the jungle.

My introduction to Metal Gear Solid and, i must say, what an introduction!
Luckily for me, the third of the Solid games is, actually, the first in chronological order and tells the origins of the legendary soldier, Big Boss. The plot is one of the most engrossing in any video game i played, with so many memorable characters like the extravagant bosses, a young Ocelot and, especially, Snake's mentor, The Boss.
The music theme and jungle setting reminds me of the James Bond and Rambo movies but this is MGS we're talking about and, with it, comes that glorious gameplay, featuring some neat additions: stealth camouflage, the influence of the wilderness, body damage that drags Snake down if not treated, the CQC "martial art" technique... good stuff.
Snake Eater was my first taste of Hideo Kojima madness. So many things you can do that you think aren't possible because, "This is just a video game, right?". At the top of my mind, using a pill from your inventory like a regular item to fake death (with a fake Game Over screen as well) and advancing real life date within the PS2 system to kill an aged boss :lol, that not counting the countless easter eggs.
I really enjoy how all these "silly" ideas are implented without making the story feel a joke, just the perfect balance of knowing when to do it.

After this and Peace Walker, i'm eagerness to see the continuation of Big Boss story in MGS V: Phantom Pain. Even if they fuck it up (which i doubt), Snake Eater is another set in stone masterpiece from the MGS series.
Well done again, Kojima :clap:

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 07:52:17 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #941 on: February 12, 2015, 06:51:41 PM »
Snake eater is cool. I wish I loved it as much as MGS1 and MGS2.

I respect it for doing something different and innovative, but the jungle setting and mechanics just weren't my cup of tea unfortunately.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: February 13, 2015, 07:18:45 AM »
Just catching up on this list after vacation. So happy to see Sonic on here, those were my favorite games when I was young. I haven't really played the rest of the games but I'll still be following this list.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #943 on: February 13, 2015, 07:35:45 AM »
They call him asshole a lot, right? Cabron?

Not really  ;)

Snake eater is cool. I wish I loved it as much as MGS1 and MGS2.

I respect it for doing something different and innovative, but the jungle setting and mechanics just weren't my cup of tea unfortunately.

Generally, is a battle of MGS1 x MGS3 for best Metal Gear Solid game. Problem is, after playing these you mentioned, i never could go back and admire the original MGS, even though it was the blueprint.

Just catching up on this list after vacation. So happy to see Sonic on here, those were my favorite games when I was young. I haven't really played the rest of the games but I'll still be following this list.

I'm gonna finish this soon, just two more games.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #944 on: February 16, 2015, 03:47:35 AM »
The Carnival holiday delayed me a bit but, i shall finish my list this week. Some quick thoughts:

2. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (1997)

The silver medal goes for the pinnacle of the Castlevania series, Symphony of the Night.
SotN came with many changes in relation to his predecessors, the most notably being the Metroidvania gameplay style, which fit like a glove with a setting such as Dracula's castle and his many areas. Differentiating from Super Metroid, SotN features RPG elements such as HP, MP, stats and you can find and use many equipments instead of only special items. In short, a real breath of fresh air for the series.
The audio is generally good despite of the cheesy voice acting but the music is where it shines. Michiru Yamane composed a very varied soundtrack. Just going by genres, you got classical music, rock, metal, new age, techno, trip hop and more. Certainly one of the greats.
The Inverted Castle is one of the biggest surprises i ever had in a game. Sure, it may have been a cheap way of extending the duration of but damn if it isn't a mindblowing twist. Besides, there are new enemies, items and difficulty spike.

Isaac Newton disliked this.

If Super Metroid was the perfection of Metroidvania, SotN managed to do the impossible, expanding something thought to be already perfect.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 04:06:32 AM by Outcrier »