Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231547 times)

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Retro Time! (pg. 12)
« Reply #630 on: October 02, 2014, 07:30:11 PM »
BIIIIIIIIIIIG MUTHA FUCKINN RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGS

https://cinemassacre.com/2014/03/19/avgn-big-rigs-over-the-road-racing/

...my name is Araragi.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #631 on: October 02, 2014, 09:04:12 PM »
#1's gonna be Shenmue you fucking plebs.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #632 on: October 02, 2014, 09:37:14 PM »
Dragon's Lair II, FTW.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DT.net Member
« Reply #633 on: October 02, 2014, 09:42:19 PM »
Did that one use laser disc as well?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #634 on: October 02, 2014, 10:41:01 PM »
But of course!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #635 on: October 06, 2014, 06:26:11 PM »
The hype is killing me.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #636 on: October 06, 2014, 10:06:40 PM »
#1 - RBI Baseball

Released 1988 for NES

I've spent more time with this game than anything else video game related in my life.  This was the game that everyone in my group of friends played constantly, from riding bikes to each others' houses after school to sneak in a few games before homework, to Dr. Pepper and Laffy Taffy/Big League Chew-fueled sleepovers that left us like zombies the next day.  It sparked many a debate as well: Can a pitcher hit a home run?  Why do those weak pinch hitters always seem to hit a home run?  What is the best way to invoke the mini-pitcher glitch?  These were the important life questions of our day.

I was 10/11 when this came out and Major League Baseball was my life.  It was the first baseball game I remember to include actual MLB players and their attributes (for the most part).  My favorite player at the time was Dale Murphy, and he was easily one of the better players in the game which included many of the stars of the mid-80's.  Many of the homeruns by the power hitters in the game are absolute moonshots that go completely out of the stadium.  When the players are put out on the basepath, they go crying back to the bench (maddeningly running faster than they did while running the bases).

RBI has simple game-play, doughy indistinguishable characters, inexplicable glitches, monotonous music, a computer opponent that plays like a 3 year old, and every game takes place in the same exact stadium.  Nonetheless, many of those characteristics lend charm to this game that has led to several tribute websites and followers that hold the banner for the game to this day.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: October 06, 2014, 10:24:28 PM »
Oh man, I'd totally forgotten about this game. Talk about a trip down memory lane!

When the players are put out on the basepath, they go crying back to the bench (maddeningly running faster than they did while running the bases).

:rollin :rollin  Yup.

I played a lot of this one too.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #638 on: October 06, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »
Unfortunately I'm not much of a diamond bags fan so I'm chokin on a splinter this time out. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed your list and your writeups were quite captivating overall. If you ever wanna make a cleanup pass and make a second list down the line, I'll gladly follow that too.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: October 07, 2014, 08:24:46 PM »
Excellent game when it came out, we played this for hours. Always loved how Vince Coleman or Ozzie Smith would beat out a grounder wherever it went.

Thanks for the memories Big Hath. You would have been a good friend to have growing up in the NES days.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #640 on: October 07, 2014, 09:04:01 PM »
I don't know...I don't think this would be on my top 3 NES baseball games.  Certainly not ahead of Baseball Stars and Bases Loaded, and Bad News Baseball, baseball Sumulator 1.0, and a few others as well.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #641 on: October 07, 2014, 09:32:45 PM »
Unfortunately I'm not much of a diamond bags fan so I'm chokin on a splinter this time out. Regardless, I thoroughly enjoyed your list and your writeups were quite captivating overall. If you ever wanna make a cleanup pass and make a second list down the line, I'll gladly follow that too.

cool.  Glad someone got some enjoyment out of this list.
Winger would be better!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #642 on: October 07, 2014, 10:20:48 PM »
Excellent game when it came out, we played this for hours. Always loved how Vince Coleman or Ozzie Smith would beat out a grounder wherever it went.

Thanks for the memories Big Hath. You would have been a good friend to have growing up in the NES days.

there is a trick to throwing out Coleman trying to steal second base.  Even if you do the "quick-throw" from catcher to second he will be safe.  However if you make the catcher throw to home (he will do it because he is standing slightly behind the plate since he just received the pitch) he will throw a fast grounder straight to second base just in time to  catch him for an out.

It's amazing how much fun we squeezed out of that NES.  Ride you bike over to my house after school Friday if your mom will let you and we can fire it up again.
Winger would be better!

Offline masterthes

« Reply #643 on: October 08, 2014, 07:57:05 AM »
I enjoyed reading this list, not sure if I'd agree with some of the choices, but I'm sure if I were to make a list, there'd be a lot of retro games at the top for me as well

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #644 on: October 08, 2014, 08:01:05 AM »
If I were to make a list, only a couple of games would be past the N64 era, with most of them from the 8/16 bit era. Bring on more retro, I say!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #645 on: October 08, 2014, 08:24:46 AM »
The complete list

1. RBI Baseball (NES)
2. Wolfenstein 3D (PC)
3. Bionic Commando (NES)
4. Spy Hunter (Arcade)
5. Discs of Tron (Arcade)
6. Tecmo Bowl (NES)
7. Railroad Tycoon (PC)
8. Blaster Master (NES)
9. Contra (NES)
10. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Xbox 360)
11. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES)
12. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!
13. Baseball Stars (NES)
14a. Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
14b. Tetris (Gameboy)
15. Half Life 2 (Xbox 360)
16. Madden NFL 2005 (Xbox)
17. Grand Theft Auto III (Xbox)
18. Driver (Playstation)
19. Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones (NES)
20. Combat (Atari 2600)
21. Splinter Cell (Xbox)
22. Portal (Xbox 360)
23. Ivan 'Ironman' Stewart's Super Off Road (Arcade)
24. Pinball Hall of Fame: The Williams Collection/Pinball FX 2 (Xbox)
25. ZeroZap (TI-99/4A)
Winger would be better!

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #646 on: October 08, 2014, 12:59:09 PM »
If I were to make a list, only a couple of games would be past the N64 era, with most of them from the 8/16 bit era. Bring on more retro, I say!

For me it would be the exact opposite; there would be very few, if any, games from 5th gen and before. Some newer retro style games may make it, though.

I definitely liked this list. Even though I have heard of very few of these entries, I still enjoyed the writeups. Great job.  :tup
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #647 on: October 08, 2014, 01:52:51 PM »
I'm really excited about doing one of these of my own but I'm so far down the list. :lol Oh well, I really enjoy reading other people's lists as well. :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #648 on: October 08, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »

For me it would be the exact opposite; there would be very few, if any, games from 5th gen and before. Some newer retro style games may make it, though.

Nothing wrong with that either! For me it's personal preference of the popular genres of games they were making back then vs now. I'm just not into many of the modern genres of games, and I'm not a big enough gamer these days to justify buying the new consoles for the few games I am interested in. The couple of games that would make my list from the past decade are very much kids' games. :lol

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #649 on: October 08, 2014, 08:39:19 PM »
Good list. I can safely say mine will not be as retro, though it'll have it's fair share of oldies. :)

If it's my turn next (I think I'm next on the list, right?), I'll get my first pick up either tonight or tomorrow night.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: October 08, 2014, 09:22:57 PM »

Though, no Nintendo here.  Different platform.  Got my list, just gotta start some writeups so I can keep things moving when it's my turn.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #651 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:32 PM »
apologies again for my list taking as long as it did.  Q3 was a crazy time at work.
Winger would be better!

« Reply #652 on: October 09, 2014, 08:35:34 PM »
Well, without further ado, might as well start this list up.

25. Rock Band 2 (X-Box 360: 2008)
Regardless of the current state of music party games these days, Rock Band was the default, go-to party game amongst my friends and I for at two to least three years. I don't play the game much anymore (mostly because my 360 was borked by a red ring of death...) but that longevity is an impressive feat.

Rock Band is a relatively simple game. Notes scroll down the screen and you attempt to hit those notes in time with the music on your plastic guitar, keyboard (on the sequel), or drum set. There's also a spot for a singer but, unlike real bands, nobody cares about him. What makes Rock Band so successful is it plays into everyone's desire to be a badass rockstar while having a deep selection of songs and relatively simple gameplay that can be enjoyable for both the novice and the hardened plastic-axe shredder. There's very little that's more satisfying than finally acing a difficult song as a band.

I don't have much to say about this game, most should be familiar with it, but it really is an impressive party game. Unlike some other party-style games, it's even fun by yourself, but it certainly loses a little something when you're only performing as a solo act.

While there are some differences between Rock Band, Rock Band 2, and Rock Band 3, I really could've picked any of them. Ultimately, Rock Band 2 gets the pick, primarily because A) I played it much, much more than the others B) I liked its setlist the best (not counting DLC songs) and C) I think it really provided the most polished, most refined version of the game without cluttering things up with too many instruments and options.

I highly recommend Rock Band 2 for any wannabe musicians with no actual musical skill, underground karaoke stars, and folks with an affinity for plastic guitars.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: October 09, 2014, 09:43:32 PM »
I only played a little bit of Rock Band 2 but I did love the first Rock Band game. So much fun in my college apartment drinking and playing rock band.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #654 on: October 09, 2014, 09:54:20 PM »
RB, RB2, and Lego RB got a bit of play for a couple of years with the jingle.kids.  Then the appeal waned, and the drums have been gathering a few inches of dust over the last year or two.  Lots of fun though.  I played online a few times, and once , on expert level I think, Panic Attack comes up in a 3-song metal block.  That and Battery ... I forget the 3rd song.  Well, the guitar and bass player I was playing with got right pissed at me because I tanked them on Battery (was never a fan of MoP), but then did ok with Panic Attack.  Then I did shit with the third song.

They kicked me out of the band after that.  :jets:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #655 on: October 10, 2014, 02:25:16 AM »
I really enjoyed the Rock Band/Guitar Hero games, played them a whole load when I first got into them, but haven't touched them at all for ages. I can't disagree with their inclusion in your list because they were damn original, I just haven't found they had much staying power for me.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #656 on: October 10, 2014, 02:46:19 AM »
I played one of the Rock Band games once. I can definitely see the appeal, but it's not a game for me.

« Reply #657 on: October 10, 2014, 10:04:52 PM »
I vacillated over whether to include Rock Band 2 on the list, but it just came down to how much time I spent with the game and how much fun I had which is the primary job of a video game. So, I regret nothing!

24. Super Smash Brothers: Melee (Gamecube: 2001)
Might as well get the party games out of the way first, I guess. By their very nature party games just aren't as fun when played solo and Super Smash Brothers: Melee, much more than Rock Band actually, certainly lives up to that. I don't think I've ever had a desire to play this game by myself but man oh man is this game fun with a room full of friends.

Before Rock Band, the Smash Brothers series was the party game of choice for my friends and I. Lounging on a couch, drinking copious amounts of soda, staying up way too late, while hurling sexually-laced insults and smash attacks at each other, this game defined my immediate post-high school years.

The gameplay is uber-simple but fairly robust: choose from amongst a roster of Nintendo characters and beat the shit out of your friends. Everything works in this game:  the items are all fun, the stages are varied, and every character has their own suite of tricks that make them unique and (mostly) fun to play without being overpowered or worthless. The fact that Nintendo was able to do this with such a fairly expansive selection of characters is impressive.

You can have computer bots in the game to fill the holes left by friends that have to work, have school or are out with their significant other, but it's just not the same. Super Smash Brothers: Melee excels when you have four people playing in the same dingy (basement) room and sitting on the same cheeto-stained couch. There's nothing quite like screaming sexually suggestive commentaries on the barnyard proclivities of your friends' mothers after a particularly intense bout.

As with Rock Band, my choice over which entry in the Smash Brothers series really came down to how much time I spent with each game. I probably played the original more, but Melee is an improvement in nearly every single way. Comparing Brawl and Melee is a bit tougher, mostly because I just haven't spent as much time with Brawl. It's a good entry, but all of my great memories come from Melee. So suck it Brawl!

Anyways, Super Smash Brothers: Melee comes highly recommended for people who love to yell their friends, for people that hate their thumbs, and for those who've always wanted to beat the crap out of Yoshi.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: October 10, 2014, 10:12:43 PM »
:tup Great choice. I personally slightly prefer the original on straight gameplay, because I think the pace is a little better, and Melee has too many items and level traps for my liking, but I've still played the hell out of Melee too. There's a ton of replay value in there, between all of the different modes. I haven't played any past Melee yet.

Pikachu is always my go-to "beat the shit out of" character. :lol

Who's your main character? I've always been a Luigi guy.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #659 on: October 10, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »
Yeah I played the hell out of this game too, but also give the nod to the original.

I liked playing as Kirby, even though they nerfed him quite a bit for Melee. I also played a lot as Roy and Mewtwo.

Like Blob, I haven't played anything more recent than Melee.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #660 on: October 10, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »
Melee is the correct choice.

...my name is Araragi.

« Reply #661 on: October 10, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
Great choice. I personally slightly prefer the original on straight gameplay, because I think the pace is a little better, and Melee has too many items and level traps for my liking, but I've still played the hell out of Melee too. There's a ton of replay value in there, between all of the different modes. I haven't played any past Melee yet.
I can respect that. Personally, I think Brawl is where the items and level traps get out of control. In Melee, there's enough to keep things interesting but not too many to overpower the gameplay.

Who's your main character? I've always been a Luigi guy.
Link and Bowser were usually my favorites but I really enjoyed just playing random characters and not sticking to only one or two. Hated Game and Watch and Yoshi though. I avoided them at all costs.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #662 on: October 10, 2014, 10:52:30 PM »
Great choice. I personally slightly prefer the original on straight gameplay, because I think the pace is a little better, and Melee has too many items and level traps for my liking, but I've still played the hell out of Melee too. There's a ton of replay value in there, between all of the different modes. I haven't played any past Melee yet.
I can respect that. Personally, I think Brawl is where the items and level traps get out of control. In Melee, there's enough to keep things interesting but not too many to overpower the gameplay.

I don't think it overpowers the gameplay either, it's just something I slightly prefer in the original game, and it's also what I was used to. Both are a lot of fun. I just bought the new one on 3DS for someone's birthday, so I'll see how that one is once they get it.

I liked playing as Kirby, even though they nerfed him quite a bit for Melee. I also played a lot as Roy and Mewtwo.

I swear, everyone else I know played as Roy/Marth! I remember playing with a group of people, and they all chose Roy/Marth, and they laughed when I chose Luigi. They weren't laughing after I won. :lol

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #663 on: October 11, 2014, 01:43:04 AM »
I swear, everyone else I know played as Roy/Marth! I remember playing with a group of people, and they all chose Roy/Marth, and they laughed when I chose Luigi. They weren't laughing after I won. :lol
They were both popular with people I knew aswell. Roy especially is just a very easy and fun character to play.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #664 on: October 11, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »
Melee is the correct choice.

This, no doubt about it. Brawl is just... boring, even with friends.

My favorite in this game is Roy, though I also enjoy playing as Link. Even though all of my friends severely outclass me, I still have fun playing this one. Before, of course, we switch to Mario Kart and I become the object of their rage.  :lol
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.