Author Topic: Top 25 Video Games Lists! v. CableX's "Worse Than My Top25 VG Music" (pg. 62)  (Read 231560 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: The Top 25 Video Games Thread! v. Retro Time! (pg. 12)
« Reply #560 on: September 08, 2014, 10:36:04 PM »
I do not remember this one.

yet another NES game.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #561 on: September 08, 2014, 10:40:34 PM »
mmmm, that'd do it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #562 on: September 09, 2014, 03:14:02 AM »
Omg, YES! Contra is so awesome! The controls are still to this day one of the best in any run-and-gun game. I love it.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #563 on: September 09, 2014, 04:15:41 AM »
All the love in the world for Contra

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #564 on: September 09, 2014, 04:19:44 AM »
I've only played a bit of Contra, but it was a cool game. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #565 on: September 09, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »
Contra was phenomenal.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #566 on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:54 AM »
Contra = awesome NES soundtrack and you don't even mention it  :\
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #567 on: September 09, 2014, 10:09:21 AM »
Contra = awesome NES soundtrack and you don't even mention it  :\

eh, I don't really pay attention to soundtracks while playing games.  Or watching TV/movies for that matter.  Although I do like the soundtrack to my next game in the list.
Winger would be better!

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #568 on: September 09, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
Love Contra. :metal :metal

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #569 on: September 09, 2014, 02:11:56 PM »

Proof:  jingle.boy lived under a rock for several years.  Or was snowed in for several years.  It's Canada, so it is possible.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #570 on: September 09, 2014, 02:15:44 PM »

Proof:  jingle.boy lived under a rock for several years.  Or was snowed in for several years.  It's Canada, so it is possible.

Snowed in without power*

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #571 on: September 09, 2014, 02:17:57 PM »
If he was snowed in without the game, he still wouldn't learn about it.  You got to remember in 1989 cell phones and the internet were not ubiquitous entities, and information was largely in the form of your friend saying "Hey, check this out!"

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: September 09, 2014, 02:40:57 PM »
Sadly, I was a C64 guy, not NES.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #573 on: September 09, 2014, 03:40:31 PM »

eh, I don't really pay attention to soundtracks while playing games.  Or watching TV/movies for that matter.  Although I do like the soundtrack to my next game in the list.

Well, most of the games on your list so far don't have a memorable OST anyway, especially when there are so many pretty old titles.
Maybe that's why you yourself said "i don't really pay attention to soundtracks while playing games". Or maybe not  :blush
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 03:50:55 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #574 on: September 09, 2014, 08:50:28 PM »
Old games always have the best music though.  :metal
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #575 on: September 09, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »
Old games always have the best music though.  :metal

Paperboy is now stuck in my head. Thanks.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #576 on: September 09, 2014, 09:36:09 PM »

Well, most of the games on your list so far don't have a memorable OST anyway, especially when there are so many pretty old titles.
Maybe that's why you yourself said "i don't really pay attention to soundtracks while playing games". Or maybe not  :blush

I think the main reason is that usually while I was playing the NES, I was blasting Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets.  :metal
Winger would be better!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #577 on: September 10, 2014, 04:34:02 PM »
Contra: Hard Corps was quite superior to the original IMO.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #578 on: September 10, 2014, 07:36:46 PM »

I think the main reason is that usually while I was playing the NES, I was blasting Ride The Lightning or Master Of Puppets.  :metal

Brilliant.  My soundtrack to Final Fantasy 6 was Master of Puppets.  I have no idea if Nobuo Uematsu was on FFVI, but I imagine it had a great soundtrack anyway :lol

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #579 on: September 10, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
Brilliant.  My soundtrack to Final Fantasy 6 was Master of Puppets.  I have no idea if Nobuo Uematsu was on FFVI, but I imagine it had a great soundtrack anyway :lol

"A great soundtrack"? More like a "godlike soundtrack", easily one of the best ever made, how dare you play FF6 listening to shit like Master of Puppets instead of the original OST  >:(

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #580 on: September 10, 2014, 10:12:24 PM »
Agreed. FFVI had a godlike soundtrack. One of the best in the business IMO.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #581 on: September 10, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »
#8 - Blaster Master

Released 1988 for NES

Outcrier, you will be happy to know I really like the soundtrack to this game!  :)

The premise of the game is that you are a little boy who's pet frog has jumped into a hole and you follow him in.  At the bottom you find a futuristic tank so the obvious next step is to suit up, climb inside, and go fight radioactive mutants in order to find your frog.  The game features very smooth controls, really well designed levels and bosses, highly detailed graphics, and the aforementioned soundtrack.

There are two types of game-play depending on where you are in each stage.  The first is a 2D platform mode played primarily inside the tank (you can exit the tank in this mode, although that is highly unadvised unless you are at a point when it is required to move ahead) that scrolls both horizontally and vertically - very reminiscent of Metroid.  The second gives more of a 3D top down perspective in which you have exited the tank and are exploring caves, labyrinths, fortresses, etc to find the boss of each stage.

Blaster Master is notable for having one of the most badass vehicles you'll find in a game.  The cannon can fire horizontally in both directions and vertically.  The cannon's firepower can also be upgraded as you progress through the game.  You can also earn abilities throughout the game that allow it to hover, dive in water, and climb walls/drive on ceilings.  There are special weapons sprinkled throughout the levels like homing missiles and lightning attacks.

I loved this game (and the tank) so much that most of my 5th/6th grade writing assignments revolved around fiction dedicated to it.  It is a very difficult and long game.  There are also no save points or passwords, so it had to be completed all at once.

One of the few opening sequences I would rarely skip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vb8b02474FM

And here is the soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCRot9Y9NIY  Forest, Catacombs, Factory, aw heck they are all great tunes for a video game.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 09:31:56 PM by Big Hath »
Winger would be better!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #582 on: September 10, 2014, 10:34:06 PM »
Oh fuck, huge nostalgia hit. If you'd asked me "Have you played Blaster Master?" I'd have replied "Never heard of it." But, seeing the box cover and those screenshots, some distant memories of playing this game riding around in the tank and getting in and out of it came back in an instant. I'd forgotten all about it.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: September 10, 2014, 10:41:41 PM »
Dang... Zelda 2, Punch Out, Blaster Master.... you are an NES masochist!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #584 on: September 10, 2014, 10:49:17 PM »
Never heard of Blaster Master, but it looks pretty cool.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #585 on: September 10, 2014, 11:49:52 PM »
Never played Blaster Master, but the OST, which i first heard though Vomitron metal medley of it, surely is memorable.
It isn't in the same level of Contra though imo.

Also, Zelda 2 OST is awesome.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #586 on: September 11, 2014, 01:26:00 AM »

"A great soundtrack"? More like a "godlike soundtrack", easily one of the best ever made, how dare you play FF6 listening to shit like Master of Puppets instead of the original OST  >:(

:blush sorry papa  :blush

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #587 on: September 11, 2014, 02:34:11 AM »
Be ashamed of yourself, son  :police:

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #588 on: September 11, 2014, 08:37:51 AM »
Blaster Master is the shiiiiit! Me and brother used to play this all the time! In fact, when we used to play the old NES games, a lot of times we would try to make up Game Genie codes and see what would happen, and my bro came up with the BEST GAME GENIE CODE for this game!

KKPSTV - One. Hit. Kills. Everything (including bosses) dies in one hit. You tend to take a little more damage, as well, but it's not too bad. Actually it's the only way I've ever beaten the game. I think the furthest I got as a kid without the code was the level 5 boss (the crab in the picture). That guy was hard!

In case anyone who liked the original didn't know about the recent sequel (with an updated soundtrack complete with all the old, awesome songs), check out Blaster Master: Overdrive for the Wii. Very similar gameplay, slightly easier than the original, but certainly not a walk in the park.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #589 on: September 12, 2014, 10:32:32 PM »
#7 - Railroad Tycoon

Released 1990 for PC

Before Sid Meier brought us Civilization, he created Railroad Tycoon.  This is basically a business simulation game, but with trains!  Yes, it is as cool as it sounds.  You basically start a railroad company from scratch (sometime in the 1800s), choosing where you want to lay track and build stations as well as purchasing trains and determining their consists and schedules.  You start with $1M cash as capital that is 50% equity (from a stock sale) and 50% debt (bonds).  As the game progresses, you have the option of selling more stock, buying back stock for treasury, or selling/repaying bonds.  You can even buy stock in rival railroads, and if you eventually buy enough, you sit on their board and make decisions as a controlling interest.

You also get into the details of the railroad business as well as local economies.  The game does a fair job of modelling supply and demand and has a very simple stock market consisting of the four competing railroad companies.  As the years go by, the nation experiences recessions and booms which affect how you go about scheduling trains and how many cars to attach to each.  Each town/city has it's own specific raw materials and plants, so it makes sense to carry coal from a coal producing city to another city in your railway that has a power plant.  Or you want to deliver lumber to a paper mill.  That city will then make paper which you can deliver to numerous cities and turn lots of profit.  After you make enough cash, you can even build your own plants to process raw goods.

Depending on the difficulty settings you choose, you may find that a rival railroad has built track into one of your stations at which point you are competing with them in a rate war (you can also build track into competitors stations).  After a certain amount of time, the cities council will vote on which railroad is serving the city better, forcing the loser to leave town.

Hotels, restaurants, post offices, engine maintenance shops and other improvements can be added to your stations.  Of course, you have to way the cost against the potential profits (or cost savings) you would get from those additions.

Also wanted to mention that this was not the first business simulation game I ever played.  That honor would go to the old Lemonade Stand game I used to play in the computer lab at my elementary school around 3rd grade or so.  I'm pretty sure that would have been on an old Apple IIe I believe.
Winger would be better!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #590 on: September 12, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
Sounds hard to keep track of it all. Does it have a training mode?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #591 on: September 12, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
yes, but it's called a tutorial.

by the way, I like how you conducted yourself in that first class post.  But it seems you started running out of steam by the end.
Winger would be better!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #592 on: September 13, 2014, 04:28:18 AM »
Dear God, I haven't played that game in 3 decades.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: September 13, 2014, 06:03:05 AM »
Never played this one from Sid, but I spent a lot of time with SimGolf.

Also, I played the shit out of Lemonade stand too.  Sometimes profiting quite nicely, sometimes out of business after one batch.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #594 on: September 15, 2014, 09:23:35 PM »
update coming in a day or two.  All day team meetings at work this week means I'm having to do my actual work at night.
Winger would be better!